Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Holy crap Max was one of the most irritating contestants in years. BEEP BOOP I AM SURVIVOR ROBOT PLEASE INPUT COMMAND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

STAC Goat posted:

As much as I dislike Max and think him a master douchelord I actually would be totally fine seeing him back in a Fans vs Favorites season.

I wouldn't be. Isn't the point of Fans vs. Favorites to include players that were actual fan favorites? Max's story was entertaining, but being fifth out entirely on your own incompetence does not warrant a return slot better given to an actually good player. Besides it might take away a spot from say, Carolyn or Jenn.

xcore posted:

Surely Max is one of the biggest disappointments in the shows history? The ratio of potential to performance is massive.

Anyone a little sad about the show casting so many overtly stupid people? Yeah, it makes for some great TV moments, but the strategy and nuance to the game is completely ruined. It's like they are just going out to cast an entire season of Coach Wades

eh, there aren't that many stupid people in this cast, and most of the dumbasses are already gone. Other than Rodney. Dan and Shirin could be called dumb, but I think it's more accurate to describe them as socially incompetent. I'm not sure what you're talking about, unless it's generally and not specifically referring to this season.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I really want Mike and Jenn to get into an alliance together come merge. I don't know if it's possible from their current positions, but I like them both so much that I want them to ally together.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

But, he forgot that Richard did it very late game, one time only, while he was in control of the majority alliance. When he tried it again in All-Stars, during a challenge, he was booted pretty quickly.

Richard did it on more than one occasion and the first time was in like Episode 3.

Agreed that Max completely misread the situation though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spatula City posted:

I wouldn't be. Isn't the point of Fans vs. Favorites to include players that were actual fan favorites? Max's story was entertaining, but being fifth out entirely on your own incompetence does not warrant a return slot better given to an actually good player. Besides it might take away a spot from say, Carolyn or Jenn.

Francesca is the greatest player ever to only play in two episodes in two seasons.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fran mouth eat the eggs rocks

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
how is every man on the blue collar tribe such a piece of poo poo. what does that say about blue collar people.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
shirins face after max is voted out was priceless. she really truly thought she was orchestrating the vote lol. her world was shattered

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
its a shame lindsay couldnt stay cool calm and collective for long enough to ditch those shitlords

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
close race between dan and max for most punchable face of the season

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So did Carolyn orchestrate Max's exit for any real gameplay advantage? Like, the only time White Collar went to tribal Carolyn voted with max and shirin. Was her sole reasoning to get him and Shirin out their grating personalities?

I was also confused by why Max and Shirin were so confident. Even assuming you have Carolyn's vote, that's still 3 of yours against 3 no collars. Kelly holds all the cards and could basically demand anything... and you're confident walking into a tribal with that?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fast Luck posted:

Come on guys, he doesn't know that much trivia, it's just that we're all filthy casuals

Max Dawson, the tryhard of Survivor.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

Francesca is the greatest player ever to only play in two episodes in two seasons.

Sorry, I don't know any Francesca.

Now, Francisqua, there was a player :swoon:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

So did Carolyn orchestrate Max's exit for any real gameplay advantage? Like, the only time White Collar went to tribal Carolyn voted with max and shirin. Was her sole reasoning to get him and Shirin out their grating personalities?

Carolyn's feeling confident with her HII in hand, and seems to be using Sandra's tactic of "anyone but me". She really should find one solid ally but doesn't have much to choose from on her current tribe:
Shirin - could have been a good goat for Carolyn but not after voting out Max
Jenn, Hali, Will - already a tight group
Kelly - maybe, but I don't think they'd trust each other.

uranus posted:

how is every man on the blue collar tribe such a piece of poo poo. what does that say about blue collar people.
Yeah they seem more White Trash than Blue Collar.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also Carolyn was really distrusting of Max - note her telling Tyler and Joaq that he's like a cult leader and needed to be gotten out.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
At this point, based on edits, I'd be really surprised if anybody but Joe or Jenn won the whole thing. Mike might have a shot as well.

the best thing about this episode is now I know who the actual Kelly is.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Poque posted:

At this point, based on edits

Did we learn nothing from last season?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lone Goat posted:

Did we learn nothing from last season?

Natalie got a really favorable edit for basically the entire season :confused:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Poque posted:

Natalie got a really favorable edit for basically the entire season :confused:

There were like 3 other people that got "favourable edits". Jeremy, Josh and to a lesser extent Jon were all looking strong before they got votes out.

I just don't put any faith behind the idea of a "good edit" any more.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lone Goat posted:

There were like 3 other people that got "favourable edits". Jeremy, Josh and to a lesser extent Jon were all looking strong before they got votes out.

I just don't put any faith behind the idea of a "good edit" any more.

Yeah but unless you think i'm suggesting a season can have multiple winners that's a silly response to my comment. Jeremy/Josh/Natalie were the only ones getting reasonable edits in the early game IMO. I think the last six winners have been pretty solidly telegraphed - Sophie is the last one where I don't think the edit was very clear throughout the whole season.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Poque posted:

Yeah but unless you think i'm suggesting a season can have multiple winners that's a silly response to my comment. Jeremy/Josh/Natalie were the only ones getting reasonable edits in the early game IMO. I think the last six winners have been pretty solidly telegraphed - Sophie is the last one where I don't think the edit was very clear throughout the whole season.

Denise's edit was very unclear - she basically disappeared for a large part of the season after the swap and played second fiddle to Malcolm when she was onscreen. In retrospect her edit is actually pretty bizarre.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's because Sophie sucked

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Unmerciful posted:

Denise's edit was very unclear - she basically disappeared for a large part of the season after the swap and played second fiddle to Malcolm when she was onscreen. In retrospect her edit is actually pretty bizarre.

In fairness it definitely seemed to me like her intention was to defer to Malcolm and make him the head of the snake the entire time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I might be remembering wrong but I think by this point in the season Natalie had done nothing but scream at John Rocker. Her positive edit didn't really come to light until past the merge.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

I might be remembering wrong but I think by this point in the season Natalie had done nothing but scream at John Rocker. Her positive edit didn't really come to light until past the merge.

Yeah pretty sure after her yelling at Rocker she kind of disappeared from the edit completely for a solid 4 episodes or so. They didn't give her a bad edit, but not a good edit either - was more of an invisible one for awhile. Then once a lot a the "bigger" characters started getting voting out, they started her good edit.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Lone Goat posted:

Thats how I remember it. She didnt really do anything besides yell at Rocker the one time and cry when her twin was voted out. It wasnt till after Jeremy? was voted out where she really got any screen time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Nat was largely invisible until Jeremy got taken out and then she stepped up as the main strategic mind. She was featured a little before that but mostly just as "Jeremy's new partner". Saying her "edit" was a "winners edit" early is a total rewrite of history. Editing reading is silly and last season's RHAP Know It All episodes were basically a testament to that as they spent the entire season trying to "read the edit" and getting every single thing wrong until finally they were forced to conclude that maybe it's a kind of unfounded concept.

It's dumb. Sometimes winners of the game are featured heavily in the edit most of the season because they're very active and engaged players who are constantly in the mix of things. Sometimes they're featured heavily because they're charismatic and well spoken and work as good narrators. And sometimes they lay low or struggle early on so the edit doesn't tell you poo poo.

Piell posted:

Also Carolyn was really distrusting of Max - note her telling Tyler and Joaq that he's like a cult leader and needed to be gotten out.

Yeah, she also told them that Max would "bromance them". I think it's obvious Carolyn worried that Max could be a dangerous player if ever straightened his social game out. Where as Sirin is just a mess. I think that's what Jenn was hinting around to with commenting so much about Max's game knowledge. I think she was worried he knew a bit too much and that could prove itself an assett at some point, even if it was a vulnerability at that stage.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think edgic is real, but most people are remarkably bad at reading it because the type of person that does it obsessively is pedantic and more than likely on the autism spectrum.
There are some things you can definitely tell from reading the editing. Not definite placement, necessarily, but vote-offs are usually set up at least an episode in advance. Vince's was, Nina's was, Lindsey's was, Max's had been well set up early on.
Or, something really, really interesting, like the editors manipulating challenge footage to make it appear as if Sierra won a challenge for Blue Collar rather than Rodney, which was discovered when the Previously On seemed to show that Rodney was actually the one that won it. That bizarre manipulation is likely an indication Rodney is not only not winning, but not going that far. If he were doing better, there is no way the editors would have done that, right? In a similar instance, episode 2 started unusually, with no glimpse of the aftermath of White Collar's voting out So. Maybe there wasn't anything interesting there, but there could be some meaning. It would have provided more development for White Collar, and in particular for Joaquin. That's a critical piece of why a lot of the edgic people rule out any White Collar for the win.
I wish the edgic people would all agree the concept of a "winner's edit" has lost most of its meaning. Tony is probably the definitive proof of that. Many of those people, reading the traditional signs for a winner's edit decided Woo was going to win. At the end they realized they'd been bamboozled by the editors.
What we can probably do at this point is rule out people as winners, although we can't rule out that some of those non-winners make it to FTC. I think it's clear Rodney's not winning, Dan's not winning, Will's not winning (I think the narrative's setting him up for a medevac), Shirin's not winning, Carolyn is sadly not winning, Sierra's not winning, Tyler's not winning, Joaquin's not winning. That leaves Joe, Jenn, Hali, Kelly, and Mike. God would I love that group of five to team up and run the game.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

uranus posted:

its a shame lindsay couldnt stay cool calm and collective for long enough to ditch those shitlords

She was about as opposite to cool calm and collected as you can get for her whole time in the game, that's why she didn't make it past her first tribal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But do you really need some kind of edit read formula to figure that Rodney and Dan probably aren't winning this game? They've consistently made stupid moves and pissed off their tribemates with virtually no self awareness that they had screwed up. There's not a secret here as to why that hurts them. This is a social game that is based on not only spending a month convincing people not to vote you out but then convincing those same people to vote to give you a million dollars. Someone who can't go a week without pissing everyone off or can't pull off a simple apology without blaming the victim probably isn't going to win this marathon of social graces.

Like, I don't really agree at all that Carolyn, Sierra, and Tyler are off the list of potential winners. I don't see why that's the case. No one seems to aggressively dislike any of them and none of them have done anything especially foolish to suggest that they will shoot themselves in the foots later. In fact Carolyn has actively influenced pretty much every Tribal she's been in without any apparent kind of "Chaos Kass" backlash against her. Tyler acquired a crucial piece of information that Carolyn has the idol and then kept it to himself while Sierra is effectively poised to flip her tribe and form a mixxed up alliance of all three tribes that could well get her far. I don't see why you'd discount any of them and that's why I think "edit reading" (or "edgic", but I'd never heard that) is silly. I can only assume you're discounting them because none of them have been given a large narrative voice or been forshadowed, but its entirely possible that their pivotal moment in the game simply hasn't happened yet. Or maybe they'll never have a pivotal moment of the game. Maybe one of them will just win Survivor by attrition like so many other past winners.

Don't get me wrong, of course there's foreshadowing and narratives in the show's edit. Of course you can see Vince setting himself up for failure or Shirin and Max cockily setting the stage for a hilarious downfall. And long term you can see things like Mike or Jenn pulling ahead as rational, social and strategic players who adapt to what the game hands them. But I don't think that's anything other than following the story. And that story has time and time again been disrupted by the real actions of real people that the show can't control. And sometimes the show itself probably misleads us just to keep things interesting. But I don't think there's any kind of secret code here. That's just how storytelling works.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

I really want Mike and Jenn to get into an alliance together come merge. I don't know if it's possible from their current positions, but I like them both so much that I want them to ally together.

I like Mike a lot.

Jenn is the worst. Her defining character traits are whining, bitching, and jiggle-boob. I've not seen anything else out of her.

I can't believe Hali reacted the way she did to Max getting stung by a stingray. If it was her, she would be pretty grateful her tribemates had a way to relieve the pain if the drawback was washing out a pot.

Sierra's, "Who voted for me?" was great. She couldn't grasp the concept.

This season is something else. You got wonderfully smart contestants, "I researched how to start a fire on youtube and then practiced every day" (Joe) and others who did the same but are completely inept at the social game, (Shirin, Max). I'm liking it all so far.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 20, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Met posted:

I can't believe Hali reacted the way she did to Max getting stung by a stingray. If it was her, she would be pretty grateful her tribemates had a way to relieve the pain if the drawback was washing out a pot.
I imagine Max had to just be completely annoying about this because I'm pretty sure Jenn and Carolyn had passing comments about it too. Like its entirely possible that Max was an annoying rear end about it that made what would have been a minor inconvenience into an annoying thing. I mean, he couldn't stop being snarky and sarcastic during his confessionals about it so I imagine they were listening to a lot of the same stuff.

On the flip side I also think Hali proved with the Nina stuff that she's kind of a massive brat. Which is why she was the one going on a big rant about it while the others just made passing annoyed comments.

But I suspect Max was just such a socially stupid and annoying guy that he kind of created the circumstance for "ugh, wart water" and Hali was a big enough brat to run with it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Met posted:

This was something that confused me too watching the show. On RHAP Stephen seems to think that this was a major faux pa that lead to him getting voted out. Jenn TOLD him to put his feet in there and I'm confused as to why the presence of blood in the water (since both wounds were bleeding) wasn't a big deal but god forbid there is a wart in the bloody water.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Max is such a fuckin ham that him getting stung on purpose is within the realm of possibility.

Someone (here? on RHAP?) nailed it when they said that Max was out there trying to emulate all his favourite survivors that he never got around to playing his own game until it was too late.

To all these people that like Mike: What do you actually like about him? Are you talking about liking him as a personality, or liking his position in the game?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

To all these people that like Mike: What do you actually like about him? Are you talking about liking him as a personality, or liking his position in the game?

...and his voice. :allears:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Max is such a fuckin ham that him getting stung on purpose is within the realm of possibility.

Kelly got injured not too long before this, making him jealous and setting the wheels in motion. I could definitely see how he'd try to justify this strategically too with something like "this will build sympathy with my new tribemates and they won't want to vote The Wounded Man off"

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
At the moment I like Mike alright because he was self aware about the Sierra situation and the need to apologize regardless of anything else and bring her back into the fold. Of course that was extremely poorly executed, but that he voiced it at all as well as explaining his numbers game in the confessional makes me like him more as a player than, say, Dan or Rodney or Joaquin who apparently think they can bro their way through the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't like Mike, I just saw him react to a situation with logic and reason. Good players are usually the ones who can adapt when things go wrong like Carolyn did and Mike tried to do. Bad players do what Dan and Max did. It doesn't make Mike or Carolyn great players but its very early in the game and you look for the signs of who knows what they're doing. Mike at least had the good sense to know they shouldn't be ostracizing and insulting Sierra and that Dan had to try and make good (and that Dan would be an idiot when he tried and gently caress it up).

Lone Goat posted:

I wouldn't even go that far but its that same basic thought process I imagine. There's just a right and a wrong way to navigate that situation. The proper reaction from Max would have been "Man, I'm so sorry for this. Thank you all for being so understanding. I'll refill the water pot and tend it while it boils. I'm really sorry."

My guess is that's not what Max did and that it was closer to the "Jenn is a medical professional lifeguard who told me to put my water in scalding hot boiling water which feels soooooooo good" that we heard in confessionals.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love how terrible Dan is. "I'm sorry I made you feel like poo poo, but let's be honest, you are poo poo"

great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved how it sounded to me like it was this gradually developing thing for him. Like "I'm really sorry I yelled at you and said those things.... I mean, I'm not saying they were wrong but I said it the wrong way.... but you know the more I think about it you did the same thing to me so we're really pretty even... actually now that I think about it what you did was worse and yet I'm the one who has to apologize and that's just not fair!"

Its like he went in fully intending to apologize but kept talking himself into a worse and worse one until he was demanding an apology from her. I'd bet money he didn't even realize it was happening.

• Locked thread