Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Mods are such a double-edged sword. Skylines never crashed before in hours upon hours of playtime...

...then I installed some mods, a bunch of assets, and now the game has crashed twice in two hours. This is the first time I've been able to play in days and I really don't want to go through the whole "deactivate mods one at a time and hope you stumble upon which one it is" game. And if it's an asset? Well then I'm hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

zedprime posted:

Wait, where is the industrial? Industrial is the only real traffic generator.

I've done several legit cities, so I've been playing around with having infinite money and stuff. So I bypassed the industrial nonsense and just put down offices instead. I have had legit cities though where i just eventually get rid of the industrial in favor of offices, but traffic is still a problem trying to make good looking streets instead of this pavement hell I've created

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

I can now confirm it also magically disappears abandoned buildings. :smith:

Alright so the trick for a map starting out with an abandoned city would be to make some custom tree plopables that are modeled to look like abandoned buildings. As trees they'd automatically be removed when you zone through them, too.

..And then magically reappear if you dezoned the area :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So once you unlock the special buildings by doing their achievements/requirements you get it permanently, right? Then how come when I ruined my city by causing the whole thing to abandon, and a couple other ones, they were not unlocked when I reloaded?

I did the crime one just fine on a second map and loaded my actual city and it was unlocked just fine.

[edit] Nevermind I reloaded the wrecked map, then reloaded the fine version and its all fine now. The stuff is unlocked. :confused:

Very post apocalypse. Minus the clean streets and fine trees.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 20, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

PC Gamer interview with the CEO of Colossal Order

http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-greenlit-after-what-happened-to-simcity/

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This makes me wish I could control the maintenance for a district/force it to populate with slum houses etc so I can make a gritty, gridlocked, downtrodden urban area. I need to make ghettos guys :arghfist:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The mars map got a shout out!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Dante18907 posted:

This makes me wish I could control the maintenance for a district/force it to populate with slum houses etc so I can make a gritty, gridlocked, downtrodden urban area. I need to make ghettos guys :arghfist:

Give it enough time and I'm sure someone will figure out how to mod in alternate zones. So you can zone slums that only grow growables that lower land value and don't level up. Make them generate crime and such too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So once you unlock the special buildings by doing their achievements/requirements you get it permanently, right? Then how come when I ruined my city by causing the whole thing to abandon, and a couple other ones, they were not unlocked when I reloaded?

I did the crime one just fine on a second map and loaded my actual city and it was unlocked just fine.

[edit] Nevermind I reloaded the wrecked map, then reloaded the fine version and its all fine now. The stuff is unlocked. :confused:

That looks very cool

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think there is a mod that lets you prevent buildings from upgrading, so you can just cap your ghetto at low-value high-density resiential.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think there is a mod that lets you prevent buildings from upgrading, so you can just cap your ghetto at low-value high-density resiential.

Yeah but it doesn't look downtrodden! It still looks all shiny and poo poo. gently caress that. I want a concrete hellscape with graffiti and whores lining the streets.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there some trick to keeping my coal power plants from declining in efficiency? Mine kept going down down down until they stopped producing power entirely, what the gently caress?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where's your coal coming from? Are the roads around it jammed up with coal trucks?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Question for people more knowledgeable about the modding potential than me: would it be possible to mod the Chirper to let you see and/or send messages over IRC?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mr. Peepers posted:

Question for people more knowledgeable about the modding potential than me: would it be possible to mod the Chirper to let you see and/or send messages over IRC?

Yes. There's already one that displays reddit posts.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Haha, I was profoundly amused when I loaded my game post-patch and watched my commercial demand spike from the zero it's been forever and ever to maxed out within a minute. Those goddamn parks.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
My OCD is not letting me start my first game. The starting roads are uneven, and I can't seem to continue them in their lane number and spacing, and I have no idea what kind of intersection to make coming off the expressway. o_o

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Ok make that 3 crashes in a few hours. I think it might be the Autosave mod, and others on Steam are reporting similar. Anyone here use Autosave and had crashes? This one specifically: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406123642

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Is it just me or did rail stations at the end of lines previously automatically load and unload 2 trains at once, and now, maybe post patch, they don't?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Duck and burger posted:

My OCD is not letting me start my first game. The starting roads are uneven, and I can't seem to continue them in their lane number and spacing, and I have no idea what kind of intersection to make coming off the expressway. o_o

Re: the intersection, I still think the diamond interchange is the best starter, since it's simple, it looks good, and it's cheap to build.

example:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Control Volume posted:

Re: the intersection, I still think the diamond interchange is the best starter, since it's simple, it looks good, and it's cheap to build.

example:

What is that terrifying thing behind the diamond :stonk:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

subx posted:

What is that terrifying thing behind the diamond :stonk:

Huh? It's just a stack interchange, but that's not something you want to build right after you start a map.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Control Volume posted:

example:

The most important thing about the opening interchange is that you don't have highways yet. If you're smart you don't have anything other than 2 lanes yet, because 2 lanes are all you need for a long while and the wider roads make you sin against the holy yield.

Control Volume posted:

Huh? It's just a stack interchange, but that's not something you want to build right after you start a map.
Now that's a stack interchange I want to drive irl providing there's no other traffic because that's some race course quality curves.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

By the way, is it a bug or a feature that like every second tweet I've had for the last 45 years has been 'HOLY poo poo WHY ARE YOU CUTTING DOWN ALL THE TREES??' from my forestry?

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Control Volume posted:

:airquote: JUST a stack interchange :airquote:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

By the way, is it a bug or a feature that like every second tweet I've had for the last 45 years has been 'HOLY poo poo WHY ARE YOU CUTTING DOWN ALL THE TREES??' from my forestry?

I've been getting mixed ones that support and oppose tree cutting.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

SynthOrange posted:

I've been getting mixed ones that support and oppose tree cutting.

Yeah, me too. Just thought it was funny that amidst all the tweets about people's domestic AIs going haywire and criminals now using contact lenses to avoid public retinal scans, there's been a non-stop barrage of discussion about the loving forestry forever and ever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It is an ingenious satire of how public service views social media because I've been getting tweets about sound pollution from the apartment buildings next to the lumbermill for 20 years and I keep thinking "well the doctors close, you'll be fine."

Eagerly awaiting airline disaster tweets. I'm not sure this checks out against the relevant building codes...

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

hey this is fun lemme play for a hold on four hours passed gently caress I have to work tomorrow

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I must go, my planet needs me (and these oil products).

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I started a new town to try and not have a hosed road system for once, but randomly, once I'm in the neighborhood of a few thousand cims, my income just starts dropping really rapidly, I'm talking making 1,000ish down to sub 500 in a few minutes. This is happening when I'm not even touching anything at all. Anyone else have this happen?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

So I started a new town to try and not have a hosed road system for once, but randomly, once I'm in the neighborhood of a few thousand cims, my income just starts dropping really rapidly, I'm talking making 1,000ish down to sub 500 in a few minutes. This is happening when I'm not even touching anything at all. Anyone else have this happen?

Cims are not immortal, you prolly just had a bunch die from old age. Had the game on fast forward?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Cims are not immortal, you prolly just had a bunch die from old age. Had the game on fast forward?

Nope, speed one. And it can't be death cause this city doesn't have graveyards yet :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShootaBoy posted:

Do you have any credits per building policies running? Those can be killer to your budget before you hit the free money stage and would explain a sudden jump.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

You periodically get people both bitching about and lauding any specialized industries you have. The pros are generally all about "Woo! Money! City's growing!" The cons are generally intentionally dumb. Forestry freaks out about trees being cut down despite forestry growing the trees they chop. Farming, as you mentioned, whines about providing the nation with food being passe. Oil actively thinks you're pumping oil into the earth. The only reasonable complaint is Mining/Ore which just bitches about the pollution (which ore/general/ore does produce by the truckload).

I really wish ore/oil were infinite because when they're actually in production mode they're highly lucrative, a good chunk of the oil and ore taken out of the ground will then be taken to be produced which increases your city's profits. However the resources are gone within a year due to Cim world having the shallowest ore/oil deposits ever.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

zedprime posted:

Do you have any credits per building policies running? Those can be killer to your budget before you hit the free money stage and would explain a sudden jump.

Nope. Though thankfully it seems to have stabilized now at 100~ funbucks.

edit: And now it's back to 1,200~ :iiam:

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 20, 2015

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I wouldn't use that Control Building Level Up mod just yet as it's spitting out an insane number of NullReference errors which can lead to a crash: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198

God drat it. I feel like I'm playing KSP again with Unity errors and 2 hours fixing mod issues for every one hour or less I actually get to play.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

So this is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhvAbBV2po

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Bordercities owns.

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

cthulhoo posted:

Bordercities owns.

This is all kinds of awesome, but badly highlights this games desperate need of better AA...