Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

In theory, I'd be unsummoned if any of my planeteers stopped using their powers.

Somehow I think you'll manage just fine on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I've been wondering in newmann has an alibi for the palmersaurus and the lnp graffiti. You know he's gonna try and get reimbursed for a tank of petrol from a servo near Coolum at 1am the night of the fire and for a posca the day before the graffiti was found.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My sister and I were trying to work out how to explain to my nephew just who Fraser was and how one of the most hated PMs in Australia could have ended up the person he was. And it suddenly occurred to me that he was like Darth Vader to Gough's Obe Wan Kenobe: evil up until the end, when he returned to the light side of the force.

Sad for those of us who lived through those times, and remember them. It was all a long time ago, in a parliament far far away...

RIP Mal. Another of the greats gone. Somehow fitting that he followed Gough so soon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

nockturne posted:

My sister and I were trying to work out how to explain to my nephew just who Fraser was and how one of the most hated PMs in Australia could have ended up the person he was. And it suddenly occurred to me that he was like Darth Vader to Gough's Obe Wan Kenobe: evil up until the end, when he returned to the light side of the force..

What the gently caress.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Re: bystander syndrome, I think you only have to be the "victim" of it once to start recognising it and taking action when it's going on.

I had a guy yelling and screaming in my face, threatening violence for absolutely no reason on a reasonably full bus, and everyone else just sat there like nothing unusual was going on (including some "hard rear end" punk frontman from a local band who sat there like a useless sack of poo poo the whole time). Wound up talking him down over the course of 10-15 minutes then letting everyone else on the bus loving have it afterwards with the residual "oh poo poo, I'm about to get my head kicked in" adrenaline for being a bunch of spineless dickheads, including the driver who didn't even bother to call anything in while this was happening.

Since then, no issues speaking up when I see stuff like that going down. Being on the receiving end of that is terrifying and not something anyone should have to do alone, but unless you've been through it it *is* easier to pretend it's not happening and go "oh I'll step in when it escalates further". (you won't).

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dan Didio posted:

What the gently caress.

Well how else do you explain it to a 13 year old who wasn't there!

Also the Greens would be the ewoks in this scenario.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Hockeys tribute to Malcolm Fraiser on the radio this morning was pretty good: "Of all the Prime Ministers of Australia, he was one of them"

Well done Joe.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't think 13 year olds know the plot to episodes 3-6 anymore.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

GoldStandardConure posted:

Hockeys tribute to Malcolm Fraiser on the radio this morning was pretty good: "Of all the Prime Ministers of Australia, he was one of them"

Well done Joe.

:bravo:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That'll probably be the best thing you could say for Abbott's eulogy.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Have the ADL cockroaches actually outed and doxxed Slackbastard or is my info wrong?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nockturne posted:

My sister and I were trying to work out how to explain to my nephew just who Fraser was and how one of the most hated PMs in Australia could have ended up the person he was. And it suddenly occurred to me that he was like Darth Vader to Gough's Obe Wan Kenobe: evil up until the end, when he returned to the light side of the force.

grow up

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Fraser was the Twenty Second Prime Minister.

If all goes well Tones will be the Eighteen Month one.

:mmmhmm:

(Right, I'm out)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

Well done Joe.

Link please.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

nockturne posted:

Sad for those of us who lived through those times, and remember them. It was all a long time ago, in a parliament far far away...

RIP Mal. Another of the greats gone. Somehow fitting that he followed Gough so soon.
Kids are easy and smarter than people give them credit for, "Political figures will often mellow in retirement. Do not let this blind you to the positions they held and the things they did when it actually mattered. I'm gay."

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

Link please.

I dont have a link, just heard it on the triple j news when driving to work.

It was a little bit more long winded than that, but that was essentially what he said. No praise for anything he did, just that he was in fact a PM.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Coincidentally a goveernment report was released today

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/dept-info/_files/review-conditions-circumstances-nauru.pdf

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Endman posted:

This is just like the "direct action" climate policy.

Stop paying companies not to do things and start legislating for gently caress's sake. You're the government, act like it.

Woah. Harsh. We all know this is a responsible grown-up government who have a firm grasp of finances. They are fiscally responsible. That is why their first response to an issue is to literally throw money at it and hope it goes away.

In other news our projected surplus will arrive in 2340.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I lol how the lnps idea for a indigenous jobs policy is literally the strawman their base argues against.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Strawman ain't gonna build itself

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think I've just come up with a new indigenous jobs initiative.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

katlington posted:

I lol how the lnps idea for a indigenous jobs policy is literally the strawman their base argues against.

i lol hard at this too

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Former prime minister Malcolm Fraser, who died on Friday, was in the process of setting up a new political party that would have advocated cutting military ties to the United States.

Mr Fraser, who led the Liberal Party from 1975 to 1983, quit the party in 2009, shortly after Tony Abbott replaced Malcolm Turnbull as leader. He campaigned for Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young at the last election because of her stance on asylum seekers.

With an election due in mid to late 2016, Mr Fraser's new party could have potentially run candidates at the next election.

Mr Fraser, who died aged 84, would not have led the party but would have driven its policy agenda. Fairfax Media understands Mr Fraser had developed a written draft policy platform for the party that included:

ending Australia's alliance with the United States
a closer relationship with South-East Asian nations
ending the offshore processing of asylum seekers
stronger anti-corruption and transparency laws
tighter regulation of the sale of arable land

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
LOL - To be led by SHY no doubt.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Alright, arguing with racists in my community. Trying very hard not to tell them all to crawl into a hole and die.

It would be useful to have information on how much we spend on social welfare compared to how much we spend on corporate welfare/subsidies.

I've had a look but I can't find the direct comparisons, I know they exist because I've seen them before (in this thread I think) but whatever I type into google is only giving me bits and pieces rather than totals or direct comparisons. My newborn is teething so I can't sit down and crunch the numbers myself.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

LOL - To be led by SHY no doubt.

What's your take on the review into the conditions at Nauru released by DIBP?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

i think they deserved it imo

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Konomex posted:

Alright, arguing with racists in my community. Trying very hard not to tell them all to crawl into a hole and die.

It would be useful to have information on how much we spend on social welfare compared to how much we spend on corporate welfare/subsidies.

I've had a look but I can't find the direct comparisons, I know they exist because I've seen them before (in this thread I think) but whatever I type into google is only giving me bits and pieces rather than totals or direct comparisons. My newborn is teething so I can't sit down and crunch the numbers myself.

If anyone has a breakdown of welfare for how much is spent on Indigenous Affairs, Pensioners etc that'd be awesome too. Lots of old racists in my area. Taking fistfuls of cash for themselves whilst complaining about supporting remote communities.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
http://theopenbudget.org/

Specifically, http://theopenbudget.org/#1626 vs http://theopenbudget.org/#2301

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Find better people to hang out with would be my advice.

And spend more time with your baby.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

Haven't even glanced at it. What's your take?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Konomex posted:

If anyone has a breakdown of welfare for how much is spent on Indigenous Affairs, Pensioners etc that'd be awesome too. Lots of old racists in my area. Taking fistfuls of cash for themselves whilst complaining about supporting remote communities.

This isn't exactly what you want, but it might help (it's from last year)

Basically welfare goes predominantly to pensioners, then to people through Family Tax A and B. Medicare is a huge expense.

Things like "corporate welfare" etc don't necessarily show up in the budget though, since they frequently come in the form of tax credits / deductions. The same applies to things like high income super or negative gearing costing us a shitload.

Graic Gabtar posted:

That it won't change your opinion at all?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Tax credits do show up in the budget, but they're listed as negative revenue rather than spending, so you won't see them show up in most charts.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Have the ADL cockroaches actually outed and doxxed Slackbastard or is my info wrong?

Is your info the James Gilhome stuff? He says he's 'got' slackbastard and some other bloke from Sydney but there's zero indication he's not wrong again. I think they've doxxed him about fifteen times by now, slackbastard must be a skin changer.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The aged pension is the single largest expenditure in the budget, bigger than Medicare :kiddo:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what's going to be in the Labor election announcement on the tv?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bowmore posted:

what's going to be in the Labor election announcement on the tv?

hot bewbs, economic asylum barons getting ther jsut deserts, some choice shroten zingers

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orkin Mang posted:

hot bewbs, economic asylum barons getting ther jsut deserts, some choice shroten zingers
Sick mate, can't miss that ai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

You probably shouldn't, it might make you feel somewhat guil.....oh hi Graic.

It basically lends weight to a lot of the allegations that have come out about sexual and physical abuse. So, frame that in your asylum seeker hating mind however you like.

• Locked thread