Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Nope, everybody just decided Bert is a stupid crybaby turd.

Who's still being a crybaby turd, although not as much of a turd as the media people who drug him out of Chicken Express during the whole Chris Borland retirement mania

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ies-concussions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Korranus posted:

Who's still being a crybaby turd, although not as much of a turd as the media people who drug him out of Chicken Express during the whole Chris Borland retirement mania

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ies-concussions

It wouldn't seem so scummy if he had any other suggestions for player safety or at least wasn't so blatantly self serving.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Bret Bielema literally believes that increased number of plays per game is bad but increased number of games is fine.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
In something resembling spring practice news, the local media has seen enough to predict a legitimate QB battle at Nebraska come August between Tommy Armstrong, who's gonna be a junior, and ... not either of his backups from last year, but rather a RS frosh named AJ Bush who got an offer from Pelini and Co. really late in the 2014 cycle. Was a Rivals 2* with offers from BC, K-State and some mid-majors.

New staff aside, I suppose it's nice to have some springtime intrigue in Lincoln for a change

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Has anyone managed to accumulate and analyze data with regards to the speed of the game/number of plays and how it relates to player injury? When it was first brought up last year there was a lot of derision but it seemed like there was not much data to go on either way. Has anything changed in the past year?

Very anecdotal, but BG ran a hurry-up on crack and while it didn't seem like we were getting more injured than normal, it definitely had the team looking more fatigued than normal, especially our defense.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sash! posted:

One time I was on a trampoline yelling about how Sherman should have finished the job when I spilled my Yuengling all over someone's barbecue ribs, and then it turned out they belonged to Jerry Sandusky, so I roundhouse kicked him and said "that's how they handle things in the South, like in Texas."

Best post you've ever made

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Century club is the best drinking game because it focuses on drinking, and paying attention to timers. Which gets hard near the end.

We also used to do a condensed version where in the first minute you had one shot of beer, second minute you had 2, third minute you had 3, and so on for 12 minutes. On the 12th minute you just shotgunned a whole beer. I don't remember what we called that but it owned.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not a drinking game, but A&M does "Ring Dunks" which is where you and a group of friends stand on a table with a bunch of people watching you, drop your ring in a pitcher of cheap beer, and race to chug the pitcher the fastest.

It ends up in people either vomiting everywhere, holding it in and getting real drunk and stumbling around a few minutes later, or being exposed as a baby in front of everyone because they strategically spilled the beer instead of drinking it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dear lord can we please go back to trampolines or maybe football

go mod your own forum, nerd

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

Not a drinking game, but A&M does "Ring Dunks" which is where you and a group of friends stand on a table with a bunch of people watching you, drop your ring in a pitcher of cheap beer, and race to chug the pitcher the fastest.

It ends up in people either vomiting everywhere, holding it in and getting real drunk and stumbling around a few minutes later, or being exposed as a baby in front of everyone because they strategically spilled the beer instead of drinking it.

unless you're a dork and put it in ice cream

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

MourningView posted:

go mod your own forum, nerd

My forum is getting drunk for Match Day and I need shelter, you drunkard.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

One time I was on a trampoline yelling about how Sherman should have finished the job when I spilled my Yuengling all over someone's barbecue ribs, and then it turned out they belonged to Jerry Sandusky, so I roundhouse kicked him and said "that's how they handle things in the South, like in Texas."

This should be written on a scroll, and nailed to MV's front door like the 95 Theses.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

My forum is getting drunk for Match Day and I need shelter, you drunkard.

My wife's program had to scramble four people. Suckers

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If you're suffering football withdrawal and spring practice isn't enough, then tonight at midnight Eastern time Princeton will be playing the Kwansei Gakuin Fighters, who have won the Japanese college football championship 4 times in a row. There will probably be a stream somewhere.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I found it weird that football took off in any aspect in Japan. They have a surprisingly good youth setup and if you ignore America being so far ahead of the rest of the world it's pretty much Japan and Canada at the top.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

I found it weird that football took off in any aspect in Japan. They have a surprisingly good youth setup and if you ignore America being so far ahead of the rest of the world it's pretty much Japan and Canada at the top.

Yeah, before America and Canada started entering them, Japan used to dominate international American football events.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

If you're suffering football withdrawal and spring practice isn't enough, then tonight at midnight Eastern time Princeton will be playing the Kwansei Gakuin Fighters, who have won the Japanese college football championship 4 times in a row. There will probably be a stream somewhere.

In on this.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

In on this.

gdt this poo poo, i have a 120" screen out in the sun and an entire fridge full of beer

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Mostly because of the big US Military presence there I think. Germany was the most successful area for NFL Europe by far for the same reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Mostly because of the big US Military presence there I think. Germany was the most successful area for NFL Europe by far for the same reason.

Was that also what made baseball so big there or did that happen on its own?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DJExile posted:

Baseball was already fairly big in Japan before the war.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Baseball was already fairly big in Japan before the war.

Cool. I thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

beer sex barbecue The SEC will count Notre Dame, BYU and uhh Army as P5 opponents for the purpose of that scheduling rule that will go into effect in a year or whenever. trampoline civil war bjs

Reminder that Navy is on a 13 game winning streak vs Army.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

Team concepts work a lot better over there because it has such a larger emphasis vs the individuality that's usually pushed here in America. So the whole idea of everyone has their job and you do it and trust each other plays very well with their established culture. Also we left it and baseball there post WW2. Genetics are the big thing holding them back, just not a lot of Linemen sized guys over there.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Team concepts work a lot better over there because it has such a larger emphasis vs the individuality that's usually pushed here in America. So the whole idea of everyone has their job and you do it and trust each other plays very well with their established culture. Also we left it and baseball there post WW2. Genetics are the big thing holding them back, just not a lot of Linemen sized guys over there.

You're really saying the country that invented sumo wrestling couldn't produce linemen if they wanted to? I know that Europeans have come to dominate sumo in the past decade or so, but even still there are lots of pretty drat athletic big native boys running around Japan.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So it's basically an entire team of dudes that are about 5'9". That's kind of funny.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

drunk leprechaun posted:

You're really saying the country that invented sumo wrestling couldn't produce linemen if they wanted to? I know that Europeans have come to dominate sumo in the past decade or so, but even still there are lots of pretty drat athletic big native boys running around Japan.

They can grow them wide, they can't overcome a literal history of short genes. You could develop some interior OL maybe but they aren't full of thousands upon thousands of teenage kids towering over the population. The country is loving tiny and a trip over there would shock you. I'm right at 6 feet tall and I honestly felt like a giant when we went on vacation there.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

They can grow them wide, they can't overcome a literal history of short genes. You could develop some interior OL maybe but they aren't full of thousands upon thousands of teenage kids towering over the population. The country is loving tiny and a trip over there would shock you. I'm right at 6 feet tall and I honestly felt like a giant when we went on vacation there.

Sure I'm not saying they'd be world beaters, and yeah they are short. I'm just saying that it is likely more a questions about where the culture is investing in sports. If football was the num 1 sport I'm sure they'd produce some decent linemen, even if they were all on the short side.

And trust me I understand it's a short country. My dad had to stoop to get through the doors in one house we lived in over there.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

DJExile posted:

Baseball was introduced in Japan just a few years after America. IIRC it took hold fairly easily but it blew up when a barnstorming team with Babe Ruth and a bunch if other future Hall of Famers came in for a tour in the 30s.

The craziest part is that their high school baseball playoffs are like the biggest sporting event of the year.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

drunk leprechaun posted:

It's basically what CB brought up, your big time sumo wrestlers are a good solid 260-300 lbs of muscle, but they top out at like 5'10" , and most of them are between 5'4" - 5'6" they just aren't tall enough or long enough for what you'd want in a lineman. While I'm sure they have the strength to compete, I'm also not sure about lateral agility since their competition space is so much smaller than a playing field.

As you are aware I'm 6'4" and I towered over just about everyone in Japan. Wide perhaps, but not that tall over there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's basically what CB brought up, your big time sumo wrestlers are a good solid 260-300 lbs of muscle, but they top out at like 5'10" , and most of them are between 5'4" - 5'6" they just aren't tall enough or long enough for what you'd want in a lineman. While I'm sure they have the strength to compete, I'm also not sure about lateral agility since their competition space is so much smaller than a playing field.

I want one of them to try to make it as a 2 gap DT, seems like the job of being impossible to move or knock down would help out the most there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

N: In addition to Alabama, FSU may also be pursuing a game or games with Auburn -- specifically 2019 in Jacksonville. But an Auburn blog is skeptical it would work out.

V: gently caress it, just do it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Damnit Texas why did you gently caress everything up five years ago and not give us the Pac-16 so Pac-16/Big Ten and ACC/SEC could be arranged permanently.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I really miss that doomsday Pac-16 scenario :(

Also I always get a chuckle out of remembering how many people thought that if Texas moved to the Pac-10 then they would completely dominate the conference forever, only to be terrible like a year later.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
Can anyone find a stream for the Princeton vs Japan game? I'm turning up nothing.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

VDay posted:

I really miss that doomsday Pac-16 scenario :(

Also I always get a chuckle out of remembering how many people thought that if Texas moved to the Pac-10 then they would completely dominate the conference forever, only to be terrible like a year later.

I could see us adding Utah St and Colo St at some point in the near future, since they're both competitive and it gives us state school symmetry

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

I could see us adding Utah St and Colo St at some point in the near future, since they're both competitive and it gives us state school symmetry

Historically they're both awful, and they don't open any new markets. From a "looks nice on a map and makes logical sense" point of view sure. I don't see it happening though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah at this point I don't forsee any P5 conference ever adding a school in a state where they already have one, other than California, Texas, and Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pakled posted:

Yeah at this point I don't forsee any P5 conference ever adding a school in a state where they already have one, other than California, Texas, and Florida.

I think the only two states that could have happened were Indiana (if Notre Dame went to the Big Ten) and Pennsylvania (if Pitt had gone to the Big Ten or dark wizardry caused Penn State go to ACC).

Aside from those three I mean

• Locked thread