Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

can someone help me fix my boss's outlook

it would lock up every time she opened it (she has ~86,000 emails / 15gb) so I reformatted / reinstalled os x and clean installed outlook for mac 2011. while rebuilding its pulling down emails like 2-3 at a time and slowly becoming less responsive over time. mail.app has also been pretty unresponsive with the acct and syncing the outbox emails out hours after the fact. the only thing that seems to work correctly is the web app.

Outlook for Mac 2011 is trash and the only reason we like it is because it's less trash than Entourage was.

Here are some things I would do, if I were you

• If her Mac has enough proc/memory, the best thing to do is run outlook 2013 for windows in vmware fusion, or even a remoteapp if it's not a laptop/always on the LAN.
  • clean up that mailbox. outlook 2011 is going to choke when it's that big because there's going to be some item in there that is "corrupt" and loving with it. Open her mailbox on a windows machine, move things she doesn't need out of there. or if you have access to exchange export from powershell.
  • there's apparently outlook for mac 2013 out there in the app store and available for o365 users today (and others later). i don't know anything about it but worth a try if you're o365.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i don't know anything about exchange, can you call up the server admins and have them create the pst right on the server, from the server, so it's just moving data around internally?
did this. they want a 1-2 week lead time on it. unacceptable.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Outlook for Mac 2011 is trash and the only reason we like it is because it's less trash than Entourage was.

Here are some things I would do, if I were you

• If her Mac has enough proc/memory, the best thing to do is run outlook 2013 for windows in vmware fusion, or even a remoteapp if it's not a laptop/always on the LAN.
requires purchasing another outlook license.

• clean up that mailbox. outlook 2011 is going to choke when it's that big because there's going to be some item in there that is "corrupt" and loving with it. Open her mailbox on a windows machine, move things she doesn't need out of there. or if you have access to exchange export from powershell.
  • we dont have access to a windows machine w outlook :(

• there's apparently outlook for mac 2013 out there in the app store and available for o365 users today (and others later). i don't know anything about it but worth a try if you're o365.
  • requires purchasing outlook 365. and im really wary of asking my boss to buy something cause if it doesnt fix it i look pretty fuckin stupid and wasteful (i do already lol)

Dans Macabre
    Apr 24, 2004

did this. they want a 1-2 week lead time on it. unacceptable.

requires purchasing another outlook license.

we dont have access to a windows machine w outlook :(

requires purchasing outlook 365. and im really wary of asking my boss to buy something cause if it doesnt fix it i look pretty fuckin stupid and wasteful (i do already lol)

get an outlook 365 free trial. or a office pro plus free trial it'll work for 30 days before activation. If either of those solve the problem then get it.

getting your hands on outlook for windows is going to be definitely the quickest way to resolve this. get a trial version of outlook and install it on a spare windows machine and just let it crunch. do it in a vm on your machine even.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

actually...despite my yelling at the email provider that using her account on my laptop wouldnt work, it seems to be, so far, despite the fact its pulling down the emails really slowly.

her comp is going pretty slow in general, so im thinking a hard drive failure is imminent despite the fact the fruit store replaced hers in september, and thats whats causing outlook to lock up

A Wheezy Steampunk
    Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

actually...despite my yelling at the email provider that using her account on my laptop wouldnt work, it seems to be, so far, despite the fact its pulling down the emails really slowly.

her comp is going pretty slow in general, so im thinking a hard drive failure is imminent despite the fact the fruit store replaced hers in september, and thats whats causing outlook to lock up

fire up disk utility, it will give you the SMART status for the disk

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
    I donate my forums upgrade to buying someone else an avatar. Surely the pos can think of someone deserving.

Edit: if the email provider is out of house, they might have done some fuckery to improve performance just for now. You need a super computer on an exchange server that doesn't have quotas.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 20, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

fire up disk utility, it will give you the SMART status for the disk
    ya its clean, and verifying fine as well. wtf is going on here jesus fuckin pisssssss

only diff between my laptop and hers is it has an ssd instead of a 5400 rpm dino, could having a lovely hdd really cause outlook to stop functioning altogether tho

A Wheezy Steampunk
    Jul 16, 2006

ya its clean, and verifying fine as well. wtf is going on here jesus fuckin pisssssss

only diff between my laptop and hers is it has an ssd instead of a 5400 rpm dino, could having a lovely hdd really cause outlook to stop functioning altogether tho

mac outlook stores each email as a separate file so spotlight can index them, so absolutely yes a lovely but functional hard drive could be the cause

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

lol holy poo poo is that why when I was cleaning up her old outlook install it involved trashing 1.5 million tiny files

A Wheezy Steampunk
    Jul 16, 2006

lol holy poo poo is that why when I was cleaning up her old outlook install it involved trashing 1.5 million tiny files

yep! :newlol:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

so should i just tell her we need to slap in an ssd to get her email working

or is there a way to turn off dumb spotlight indexing

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I'd do it anyway unless your company is on the edge of bankruptcy.

prefect
    Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
    No one.

Dead Man’s Band

or is there a way to turn off dumb spotlight indexing

there is an indexing service that you can turn off

Shaggar
    Apr 26, 2006
    spotlight more like slowlight.

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
    It protocol insists you blame the server team for as long as possible. Even if you figure out a way to fix it, just shrug your shoulders and imply they got it working.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

shaggar was right

e: but should prolly stfu cause its using microshit products on a mac thats causing this problem in the first place

A Wheezy Steampunk
    Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

there is an indexing service that you can turn off

yeah you can mark the folder in an exclusions list in the spotlight preferences

it will won't help the fact that outlook creates 1 file per email (unless that has a setting too)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

hmm. and thats the original issue.

mail.app was also having issues syncing (although it was more responsive,) does it do pretty much the same thing?

outlook is now responding ok but stopped at 25k downloaded items and wont load anything newer than yesterday

A Wheezy Steampunk
    Jul 16, 2006

hmm. and thats the original issue.

mail.app was also having issues syncing (although it was more responsive,) does it do pretty much the same thing?

outlook is now responding ok but stopped at 25k downloaded items and wont load anything newer than yesterday

yeah most email clients do the 1 email = 1 file because of spotlight

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

lol wow, ok, just to make sure im understanding this correctly, if you have a certain number of emails, with most os x email clients you basically cant use a slow hard drive thanks to spotlight

A Wheezy Steampunk
    Jul 16, 2006

lol wow, ok, just to make sure im understanding this correctly, if you have a certain number of emails, with most os x email clients you basically cant use a slow hard drive thanks to spotlight

i feel like entourage or some older email client had a setting to either store in an internal database (no spotlight) or as files (spotlight)

A Wheezy Steampunk
    Jul 16, 2006

also lets be honest, most people use some kind of webmail

Shaggar
    Apr 26, 2006

shaggar was right

e: but should prolly stfu cause its using microshit products on a mac thats causing this problem in the first place

the mac is the problem

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
    If this were a general mac issue, you would find it by googling. When you look at her inbox on her macbook, what is the disk utilization at? When you are downloading email, what is the utilization?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

its actually very low, although outlook + the database daemon are the top items under the disk tab in activity monitor

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

its actually very low, although outlook + the database daemon are the top items under the disk tab in activity monitor

Can you use her local cache offline? Does it still barf?

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
    And the client is using an exchange inbox and not I map or pop, right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

well, its re-downloading all of her old emails very very slowly (at 26k currently.) so its not unresponsive right now, but it wont show anything newer than a week ago (must be syncing those emails last loving lmao) and im guessing that once it has all 86k emails or w/e its going to start locking up again

correct, its exchange

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

well, its re-downloading all of her old emails very very slowly (at 26k currently.) so its not unresponsive right now, but it wont show anything newer than a week ago (must be syncing those emails last loving lmao) and im guessing that once it has all 86k emails or w/e its going to start locking up again

correct, its exchange

When I had this issue, it was the server that was the bottleneck. They could use their email OK when offline.

When they sync, if it's still barfing, keep an eye on resource usage. If something isn't 100% you either have a bug, or the bottleneck isn't in her laptop.

86K Sounds like a lot of files, but it really isnt.

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
    Also consider that the provider could have had an issue where they were crippled for awhile if you can't replicate it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

When I had this issue, it was the server that was the bottleneck. They could use their email OK when offline.

When they sync, if it's still barfing, keep an eye on resource usage. If something isn't 100% you either have a bug, or the bottleneck isn't in her laptop.

86K Sounds like a lot of files, but it really isnt.
    ya they claimed they "couldnt reproduce it on their end" so i have to proceed on the assumption the bottleneck is on the client end.

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

ya they claimed they "couldnt reproduce it on their end" so i have to proceed on the assumption the bottleneck is on the client end.

Trust no one, KOTEX god of blood.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

i think i have never liked computers less than today

anthonypants
    May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
    Dinosaur Gum
    lol at hosted exchange

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
    Go jerk/rub one off in the bathroom. Really helps to manage stress.

SYSV Fanfic
    Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
    How did this even fall on you anyways?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
    Jul 7, 2012

i get a nice lil bonus for my tech expertise

enotnert
    Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
    also make sure any pst you make is way way way over 5gb

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
    Jan 1, 2005

your mac outlook is freeing and lockingup because mac outlook is complete loving piss garbage.
    entourage was better but that had some hosed up stuff too