Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, Outlast just made me turn off the game and stop playing it in the end, that poo poo's too much for me
Guess you couldn't outlast it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like being scared and horror is a genre with a lot of potential in video games.

for example: What if in a video game, you picked up a newspaper and it said Nintendo was making games for smart phones? spooky!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I like being scared and horror is a genre with a lot of potential in video games.

for example: What if in a video game, you picked up a newspaper and it said Nintendo was making games for smart phones? spooky!!
The only thing a video game newspaper should tell me about is the hiring and firing of paperboys.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, Outlast just made me turn off the game and stop playing it in the end, that poo poo's too much for me

Too many dicks on your screen to be comfortable in that closet you loving fag???

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Paperboy is also a horror game, about a boy who is trapped in Hell, on an endless delivery route.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In fact, all video games are actually about being in hell. I will put on a fake nasally voice so that I can release this theory through GameXplain

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

A Spider Covets posted:

im still not convinced this isn't some elaborate troll or something, i will wait until the passing of April fools to decide

but it is mighty shifty

Konami has no made a new games since forever. Metal Gear is the only new game that they have put out on modern consoles.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Too many dicks on your screen to be comfortable in that closet you loving fag???

poo poo this guy's got my number!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ekster posted:

I can't imagine how batshit insane Kojima games will be now that he doesn't have execs to reign him in.

Maybe it'll be less crazy cause he has less angst about being forced to keep making MGS games. :shrug:

On the other hand a lot of the good stuff in the MGS games came from him having so many resources at his disposal that he could make people dedicate a lot of time to goofy poo poo like melting ice cube simulations and recognizing when you ate a vulture that had eaten human flesh, if he goes indie we're probably gonna lose a lot of that.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wasn't aware video games could be "too scary."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVbN27o5jQ

the scariest part of this video is actually the comments section.

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wasn't aware video games could be "too scary."

First person pure horror can feel more stressful than engaging, whether it's jump-scare based or not. It's pretty much due to how our brains process interactive medium differently than non-interactive mediums. It's been described to me as "feeling like you're driving in really lovely conditions and have to pay attention super hard, then a seagull hits your windshield", which does in fact not sound pleasant.

I am extremely brave so I've never experienced this myself.

CJacobs posted:

As a long-time fan and apologist of the series I really hope Silent Hills doesn't suck. It's been a long time since there's been a Silent Hill game that wasn't stuck in a divisive hell between "it's really not that bad you guys" and "this is the game that kills the series".

My secret controversial Silent Hill opinion is that I think that Silent Hill 2 is really good at being everything but a horror title. That poo poo isn't scary at all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

My secret controversial Silent Hill opinion is that I think that Silent Hill 2 is really good at being everything but a horror title. That poo poo isn't scary at all.

I think some of the story elements and weird head stuff is very good horror stuff, but once you've mashed the button to stab a hundred of the weird faceless zombie creatures, i kind of feel like it loses its impact, which is why i kind of prefer the horror to the survival aspect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I think some of the story elements and weird head stuff is very good horror stuff, but once you've mashed the button to stab a hundred of the weird faceless zombie creatures, i kind of feel like it loses its impact, which is why i kind of prefer the horror to the survival aspect.

I mean it has its moments, like that hallway with the inexplicable creepy grinding noise, but I feel like Resident Evil Remake blows it out of the water as a "survival horror" experience. There's not as much to talk about once you're done, but it's more effective in the moment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
2 and 3 (3 especially) are definitely more combat-focused and I think that might be part of why you feel that way. They give you more than enough ammo to fight basically anything you could come across, so the scary monsters lose their veneer a bit when you've mowed down 500 of them by the end. One thing I enjoyed about 4 is that weapons were a rarity for the majority of it, so there was a lot more strategic zig-zagging involved. Of course, 4 has the downside of being an overall slog, but I don't think the lack of firepower is the reason for that. Resident Evil has the benefit of giving you a reason NOT to kill enemies (see: crimson heads loving everywhere) which Silent Hill has pretty much always lacked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The thing I really liked about the Wii one was whenever the bad genital monsters showed up, you just had to loving run. sometimes you could like, find a way to freeze one of them or something, but there was no way to murder the weird, metaphorical mind creatures. The mechanics behind it were not spectacularly fleshed out, but I feel like if more people would experiment with it, they could do some neat stuff

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

The thing I really liked about the Wii one was whenever the bad genital monsters showed up, you just had to loving run. sometimes you could like, find a way to freeze one of them or something, but there was no way to murder the weird, metaphorical mind creatures. The mechanics behind it were not spectacularly fleshed out, but I feel like if more people would experiment with it, they could do some neat stuff

I never played that one, but I heard a lot of people complain about how the harsh division between the safe and unsafe zones hurt the tension in the game. It's like "Oh, I can stop being scared now".

I've gone on many a rant about how the Safe Rooms in the RE games are an amazing mechanic because they're basically fixed stress relief points that you desperately want to get to, and once you're in there you have to kind of psych yourself up to go back out, meaning you never really get to commit to the danger and tough it out like you would in a more action-focused game. Being able to get respite from the spookiness and listen to calming music actually makes the spookiness worse once you go back to it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The issue with that whole part of Shattered Memories, to my understanding, is it's not so much about psyching yourself out to go into the scary stuff again and more that you're walking around and then you enter scary world, and then you escape scary world for a while until scary world happens again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

The issue with that whole part of Shattered Memories, to my understanding, is it's not so much about psyching yourself out to go into the scary stuff again and more that you're walking around and then you enter scary world, and then you escape scary world for a while until scary world happens again.

Yeah I was contrasting it with the RE mechanic, not saying it was the same, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I guess that sort of makes sense. I felt like the rest of it was Scary World too, just in a different way, because every single thing that you did had some kind of weird influence on what the monsters looked like, or what people were wearing. i can see how it would feel like there were separate zones for exploration and for some kind f Active Time Event though, which would definitely ruin the experience.

it definitely wasn't a perfect game, it was just different in a way that I liked.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

I get the Diddy = Diddy thing but this still strikes me as hosed up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I get the Diddy = Diddy thing but this still strikes me as hosed up.

Yeah, agreed

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

my reaction was like this:

:mrwhite:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I went :stonk: at first but then I realized the pun and went "oh, that's not so bad actually, just... unfortunate."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They actually don't call him Diddy anymore.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Wii Silent Hill owned

horror is the one genre where I think video games have the tool to be directly more effective than any other medium imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the Wii Silent Hill owned

horror is the one genre where I think video games have the tool to be directly more effective than any other medium imo

yeah, horror is where video games could really shine.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I will sell Mr. Combs a Twitter account with my name, and the name associated with it, for $210,000, and accept the Diddy moniker in his stead.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

yes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just fought 3 starman supers in Earthbound and got 2 swords of kings :stare:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Bicyclops posted:

I just fought 3 starman supers in Earthbound and got 2 swords of kings :stare:

You got my Sword of Kings that I grinded 4 hours for and never got before giving up! Give it back. :mad:

For real, though, I killed so many of them Ness was level 90 by the time I gave up and re-loaded so the game wouldn't be absurdly easy (and so I wouldn't miss the Magicant boosts)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

How Rude posted:

You got my Sword of Kings that I grinded 4 hours for and never got before giving up! Give it back. :mad:

For real, though, I killed so many of them Ness was level 90 by the time I gave up and re-loaded so the game wouldn't be absurdly easy (and so I wouldn't miss the Magicant boosts)

Oh man, every time I get those boosts in Magicant :3:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Gaming indecision: I want to buy Space Hulk: Ascension, because I'm in a bit of a 40k kick having played DoW2 for a bit and reading the Ciaphus Cain novels. But for the same price I can get the Cities game that I know I'll like to play at some point, but I don't really want to right now.

Basically, Space Hulk is the game the manchild in me wants to play because its Flashy and Exciting, but Cities is the game the grown-up in me will like.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 21, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
skyline cities is the game i have wanted ever since simcity snes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

How Rude posted:

Now I'm at the part where I grind for the Gaia beam and lots of other stuff, though, so i shall have my penance.

Getting the second sword is actually bad because you can't sell it so it just uses up precious space in the vault, where i am storing all of my truffles.

• Locked thread