Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Domattee posted:

It will be unlocked on all maps/saves.

Weird. I saved a copy of my city then unlocked a bunch, saved the copied city and went back to my original save and the buildings remained unlocked. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Xtanstic posted:

Weird. I saved a copy of my city then unlocked a bunch, saved the copied city and went back to my original save and the buildings remained unlocked. :(

You mean the remained locked?

Anyways, exit to the main menu, reload your city and see if they're (un)available. I had to do this a few times while on my big building unlocking spree last night.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TomR posted:

I made a thing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411122138

Edit: Added another screen shot.

VV Thanks!

Umeda station... is that you?

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Here, have a TERRAFORMING MOD.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So my first region is sort-of kind-of coming along, in spite of my incompetence

For some reason I feel like I've committed some sort of crime here, though.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for suggesting those maps. I'll take a look at those; they look great!

Is there a trick to designing a road in a perfect circle? Every time I try to do a curved road or a freestyle road, it ends up looking lopsided. Is there a Show Grid option somewhere I'm missing?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mr sad posted:

Is there a trick to designing a road in a perfect circle? Every time I try to do a curved road or a freestyle road, it ends up looking lopsided. Is there a Show Grid option somewhere I'm missing?

The best trick I've seen is drawing a cross of regular roads and then using the curved road tool to connect the edges of the cross in order to make the circle, at which point you just delete the inside cross. Still annoying and tedious, I wish there was just a circle tool which expands as you drag outwards.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

poo poo, this is going to be the Morrowind of city sims.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mr sad posted:

Thanks for suggesting those maps. I'll take a look at those; they look great!

Use the curve too. Use a road that has zones (i.e. not highway or onramp- you can upgrade to those types when you made it). Keep road locking on.

Make your first road segment- with the curve tool it'll make you drag out in one direction first, and then perpendicular to that direction. You want to drag it exactly the same number of tiles both times. If you drag it all the way to the first big line both times you'll end up with a pretty big roundabout. I like slowly pulling it out until the first line appears and stopping exactly when it does.

If you've done it right you'll have one perfect quarter circle, and the curve tool will automatically be set up in the right direction to continue your circle. Just keep pulling the selector out the same distance each time and it'll be a perfect circle by your fourth segment.

It often looks wonky, depending on terrain and camera angle, but if you get the camera right above it you'll see it should be perfect.

Now, when you attach a road to it it might turn into a pear (especially if it's pretty small), but gently caress it, that's as good as you're gonna get.

Seriously, I wish roundabouts wouldn't deform when you attached roads to them. Sometimes it can get pretty bad:

(All I did was attach that second overpass to a perfectly good roundabout, and this happened!)

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Circles are simple, select a point, select curved road, go say, 3 ruler notches left or right, click, then go 3 notches up or down, click that point, repeat until you come full circle. It has guides that show whether or not theyre at right angles etc.

By the looks of it I should probably just fill the water towers with corn syrup and pump it into their homes. Maybe this is the path to work the worlds fattest man takes every day or something.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
To the goon who made the Zion National Park map:

- Pretty awesome map, as far as challenge goes. There isn't much room to work with initially and getting to the land is difficult.
- There isn't enough water to support more than 5,000 people as far as I can tell, at least not early on. Two pumps drain the riverbed dry and then everyone starts to get sick.

Overall, I think the map is fun but the water limitations seem difficult to work with. Building pumps up stream won't solve the problem because the overall inflow is too low.

The views are great and I'd love to live there, but you can see in this shot the riverbed is dry:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GreenMarine posted:

To the goon who made the Zion National Park map:

- Pretty awesome map, as far as challenge goes. There isn't much room to work with initially and getting to the land is difficult.
- There isn't enough water to support more than 5,000 people as far as I can tell, at least not early on. Two pumps drain the riverbed dry and then everyone starts to get sick.

Overall, I think the map is fun but the water limitations seem difficult to work with. Building pumps up stream won't solve the problem because the overall inflow is too low.

The views are great and I'd love to live there, but you can see in this shot the riverbed is dry:

Can't you just build water towers? I don't think they pull water from anywhere.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You mean the remained locked?

Anyways, exit to the main menu, reload your city and see if they're (un)available. I had to do this a few times while on my big building unlocking spree last night.

Yeah that did the trick. Weird. I guess loading from within the map didn't do it, but I restarted the game and that did the trick.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Can't you just build water towers? I don't think they pull water from anywhere.

I'll give it a shot. I haven't built any watertowers in previous games, so I didn't think of it as an option. (The river is 100% poop water downstream now.)

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GreenMarine posted:

(The river is 100% poop water downstream now.)

I'm looking forward to a mod with lots of environmental friendly options.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

time to stick a fork in this island city and try for something even bigger. It only made it to 73k population but it had no backed up traffic issues and also it looks hella cool.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

RainbowCake posted:

Probably part of the issue is that I am attempting to build a Tiny Town, with all 1x1 lots, but that means tiny houses and slow population growth. Also the 1x1 parks in the workshop are ridiculously OP, so the commercial and industry buildings keep upgrading.

What the hell do I do? In my regular big city I've always run into the opposite problem with too many overeducated workers, so I'm at a loss :saddowns:

Delete the parks. Then the shops won't upgrade and low level shops take Uneducated workers.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Holy poo poo that terraforming mod works

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

also someone make a china air quality mod

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poopy water.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

SynthOrange posted:

Poopy water.

A dam there looks like it would generate a gigantic amount of power.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a screenshot of a 1600MW dam?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Surprised there isn't a mod that turns water pollution a deep, vibrant brown.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Surprised there isn't a mod that turns water pollution a deep, vibrant brown.

Well there's brown and muddy brown. Also available in comedy radioactive green option.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Welp I just bought this and it's every bit as good as promised.

I'm terrible at roads though. How do you road well?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Maw posted:

Welp I just bought this and it's every bit as good as promised.

I'm terrible at roads though. How do you road well?

Is that ... a 5 way elevated intersection made out of off-ramps? Never mind learning how to make proper roads, you're creating art.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is that ... a 5 way elevated intersection made out of off-ramps? Never mind learning how to make proper roads, you're creating art.

It is. It just kind of... happened.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Noyemi K posted:

I think after I finish this month's music commission I'll be putting out some more buildings for this game. Without the stress of having to do 15 songs (!) in a month, I'll be able to actually work on adding some more unique growables without the stress.

Because my mods for this game are significantly more popular than my actual games :suicide:

Don't forget to cross promote!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Can anyone help me out with some screenshots of a good frontage road system on a busy stretch of highway that works well?

I'm finding most of my traffic problems stem from the junctions coming off and leading onto the highways, they're always snarled up, I need to educate myself on how to do these better.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why do the harbors come with built on, unchangeable 2-way 2-lane roads when the train stations don't? I wanna upgrade that to a ramp. :mad:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
OK, finally i've got the weekend to crack this texturing business. Here's where I am this morning

So I made a very basic model in sketch for learning purposes. I applied no materials.

- Opened the .OBJ in 3DS,
- Did a Unwrap UVW modifier (pictured)
- Clicked on the modifier + and hit Polygon.
- Then I brought up the UV editor
- Went to MAPPING - then flatten
- I then rendered to texture, a diffuse map on the same channel [1]

This then generated the elusive texture file for me! The most success i've yet.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also Removed materials via a utility feature

The question is, now that I have this texture. I have coloured it in to see whats what. (not sure why the front pane of my vending machine has 2 little bits in it, and is BLACK not white and in it's own area like the rest).

When i've updated my texture in photoshop, how do you tell 3DS to read the texture, so I can see it on my object in 3DS.

If all goes well, I'm then hoping I can play with x + y coordinates to nudge textures. Although all textures should be in their right places already thanks to the map?

ALMOST THERE.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 21, 2015

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look familiar?

:magical:

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 21, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I am using left side drive, and frontage roads don't seem to do anything for me. All they do is make a massive mound of traffic on the first merging lane and there is very little I can do to prevent it. I almost never see the rest of the frontage used, just the first bit. I have cargo and shipping all over the drat place, but it doesn't stop all the drat donut vans from bunching up and giving me traffic there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes, that is a pedestrian path. Yes it is being used.

I followed one guy and his dog who goes to university on the lower city. He parks his scooter right at the base of the path, then with his dog he walks all the way up to his home at the top.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 21, 2015

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Guys, what have I done!

WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?

:psyduck:

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

sincx posted:

A dam there looks like it would generate a gigantic amount of power.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a screenshot of a 1600MW dam?

This is on the stock Islands map.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Man I really like the hellscape color set. What sort of adjustment stack did you use to get that? Gradient map?

Yup! There's some gradient mapping going on in my other LUTs but Hellscape is an extreme example of that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I really enjoy the fact that firemen will actually get out of their engines and walk a few steps to get to the fire. Not just standing there if there is a bit of a traffic jam.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay, I have a new problem. I extended the freeway and built a new little residential/commercial district around it. Only problem is...

That stretch of freeway instantly became the most highly trafficked area in the entire city, and I don't even understand why. The new district is not that cool, but pretty much everyone in that huge conga line of cars is going into it. Do I need some sort of better interchange than the diamond one I've got down there?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

simosimo posted:

When i've updated my texture in photoshop, how do you tell 3DS to read the texture, so I can see it on my object in 3DS.

The little circle with the checkerboard pattern in the top bar is materials. Drag a material circle from this menu onto your model to apply it. You have to change the Diffuse part and load in a Bitmap into it (just click around lots?).

I think you might want to read on defining edges and things to UV unwrap. The unwrap you have is going to give you infinite headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Managed to get a working thing in the game! Hooray!! No idea why I made a piano.

Applied textures from sketchup and opened model into 3DS. 'Render to texture' makes the applied textures on the UV map, but makes they all lovely / low rez, if I can get my accurately applied Sketch materials to do this perfectly i'm there! It's a rough way, but the only way that's worked so far.

I then edited the png on the piano sheet thing, to put a test message. It worked, albeit, upside down.........and inside out.

Is there a lighter 3D model viewer though? Loading up the game and the asset editor just to check things takes about 5 minutes which is AGES when you're sitting there. No reason it takes so long for an empty map.

I was going to test this object as a prop, but I think the prop asset creator is busted? I don't get any options to choose type of prop or etc so I couldn't do it. The only thing I had was size, I set it to 0 then I couldn't choose a bigger size again, BUGGED.

The above pic was as a growable zone. Don't want giant pianos in ma city.

Sillybones posted:

The little circle with the checkerboard pattern in the top bar is materials. Drag a material circle from this menu onto your model to apply it. You have to change the Diffuse part and load in a Bitmap into it (just click around lots?).

I think you might want to read on defining edges and things to UV unwrap. The unwrap you have is going to give you infinite headaches.

I'm an open book at the minute, going to spend all weekend learning this crap. I'm struggling to learn because tutorials and YT vids are all fragmented bits and pieces of many processes.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 21, 2015