Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lord Frisk posted:

Go to Coolstuffinc.com and look them up by block. That's low going rate, and you could probably ask 125% of the CSI offer provided the cards are clean and undamaged. Selling individually will get you more money, but also more hassle.

Thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
In true insanely difficult game fashion, someone still managed to find a way to one-shot Acerak. All super-adversarial dming only 'works' with a premade adventure so the dm can't put chainsaw elementals behind each door.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best version of Cards Against Humanity is that online version with custom decks that you can use to replace the humor with anime injokes instead of punch-down jokes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

^^^I will always take an excuse to gush about Torchbearer : great god drat game and I love it in all its adversarial dickish glory.

So, since we're talking about it, I always want to run Tomb of Horrors as a drinking game. You get infinite respawns at the cost of a shot of bourbon a pop. Is this a terrible idea?

What the hell should I use to run it? Dark Dungeons? gently caress it and just use drinks as a resolution mechanic?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, since we're talking about it, I always want to run Tomb of Horrors as a drinking game. You get infinite respawns at the cost of a shot of bourbon a pop. Is this a terrible idea?

There's easier ways to kill someone than alcohol poisoning, man.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My group are all PhD students.

We drink like bourbon bottles had prizes in them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Tomb of Horrors is probably the most thematic module AD&D ever had, it's just that nobody really wants to play through a gory horror film as the victims unless it's laughable. I can easily see someone that assumes it's a horror module doing really well without knowing the module at all, just from operating on horror-film logic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I showed Blades in the Dark to my old group's GM, earlier this week. He got so excited by it (in his words, its shamelessly pandering straight at everything he wants) that he's "put the band back together" so to speak and our group is actually gonna play its first game tomorrow since we went on indefinite hiatus last August. It may not last long before scheduling issues break us up again, but holy crap, another reason for me to love BitD, it got my group back together and I'm actually gonna play something! :dance:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Effectronica posted:

Tomb of Horrors is probably the most thematic module AD&D ever had, it's just that nobody really wants to play through a gory horror film as the victims unless it's laughable. I can easily see someone that assumes it's a horror module doing really well without knowing the module at all, just from operating on horror-film logic.

Haha, there you go. Run it in Dread.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I showed Blades in the Dark to my old group's GM, earlier this week. He got so excited by it (in his words, its shamelessly pandering straight at everything he wants) that he's "put the band back together" so to speak and our group is actually gonna play its first game tomorrow since we went on indefinite hiatus last August. It may not last long before scheduling issues break us up again, but holy crap, another reason for me to love BitD, it got my group back together and I'm actually gonna play something! :dance:

After it happens do up an actual play report, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tomb of Horror isn't thematic in the slightest. It is essentially a game show style gauntlet of challenges and puzzles in the style of one those Japanese elimination games where if you screw up they send you careening into a pool of dirty water. There is no tension or horror at all, it's like WipeOut with disintegrations. That's exactly what it feels like to play too.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Mince Pieface posted:

The funny thing is, a Necromancer with Rebuke Undead would have more reason than anyone to try to kill Acererak, and it makes absolutely no sense that a bunch of Necromancers would be helping him. If Acererak succeeds in Return to the Tomb of Horrors, the result is that all undead everywhere are directly under Acererak's control, and all the other Necromancers are out of a job.

Yeah, but the necromancers don't know that. They're like the chumps in a pyramid scheme who all think they're going to get-rich-quick from selling protein shakes and timeshares.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
"Halt," cries the wizened wizard. He extends one bandage-wrapped talon at you, which crackles with eldritch potential. "You may not pass unless you purchase three cases of potions of mangosteen!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Quarex posted:

Also I am excited to see some love for D20 Call of Cthulhu. It obviously had unavoidable flaws due to its base system, but it really was pretty fun to run under the very limited circumstances where you do not want to spend even 5 minutes teaching a new system.

I was never a fan of Call of Cthulhu d20, but I never understood that hate for it given that it's not a vast shift from BRP.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

grassy gnoll posted:

"Halt," cries the wizened wizard. He extends one bandage-wrapped talon at you, which crackles with eldritch potential. "You may not pass unless you purchase three cases of potions of mangosteen!"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

grassy gnoll posted:

"While you're at it, buy a timeshare on the Negative Material Plane! You can rent it to your friends on the off-season! It's like making gold pieces on vacation!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm reminded of how I got to talk to Heinsoo about the awful dungeon for 13 True Ways, and I mentioned pushing against having it filled with goon jokes. It turned out was very grateful for that sort of thing, because he looked at those early ideas filled with goonery and was like "How the hell am I going to write that up?". :v:

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was never a fan of Call of Cthulhu d20, but I never understood that hate for it given that it's not a vast shift from BRP.

I never actually ran a game of it, but I did use a lot of the material to make campaign settings that were more skill based. It was especially handy for a couple of d20 post-apocalytic dungeon crawls, and an underground victorian fantasy with inquisitors and mentalists.

I think the main reason they weren't well regarded was because they just weren't really needed, and while I didn't really keep up on it back then, I believe people were worried WoTC was trying to streamline everything into a single universal system which just didn't fit every kind game.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm reminded of how I got to talk to Heinsoo about the awful dungeon for 13 True Ways, and I mentioned pushing against having it filled with goon jokes. It turned out was very grateful for that sort of thing, because he looked at those early ideas filled with goonery and was like "How the hell am I going to write that up?". :v:
Does anyone have a link to the "draft" version that got sent out despite the Goon hivemind begging otherwise? I remember it being a cringe-inducing trashpile of in-jokes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ScaryJen posted:

I think the main reason they weren't well regarded was because they just weren't really needed, and while I didn't really keep up on it back then, I believe people were worried WoTC was trying to streamline everything into a single universal system which just didn't fit every kind game.
I believe that was in fact a stated goal for d20, yes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It reminds me of why I'm continually disappointed and aggravated by OSR. Early RPGs - mostly D&D but there were a few other late 70s/early 80s games accompanying it - had some very different assumptions about play style, and thus many odd rule concepts to accommodate those assumptions. Starting around AD&D and 2nd edition, D&D moved away from some of those ideas, and most other games followed suit or were moving in the direction typified by White Wolf. Modern indie games are doing some very cool and different things to be sure, but there's still a lot of untapped potential in the half-formed concepts in original D&D that didn't survive into later editions. Things like balance through differential advancement rates, henchmen and followers, running guilds and/or castles, or even the treasure-as-xp concept. I don't know if any of them are actually good ideas, or if their falling by the wayside was necessary to improve game design. But reassessing those ideas with some modern design concepts and techniques could yield some interesting results.

If OSR really was anything other than a bunch of wannabe grognards getting off on random tables and trying to copy Gygax's writing style, if it was actually a game design movement, it would be mining the hell out of those oddball ideas and building entirely new games around them. The closest thing to that is Torchbearer - which naturally draws a lot of OSR ire.

I think one part of that which definitely needs reviving is the concept of the "Lord" level: Up to and including 2nd edition AD&D, it was assumed that when you hit 9th level, you'd start settling down. Advancement in fighting power(HP) and other adventuring stuff would start slowing down, just murdering things would not provide a lot of XP(relative to how much you needed) unless you went hunting dragons or something(not a clever idea) and your character had probably spent a good while adventuring by that point, up to a decade or so(in-game time). Instead of just retiring and buying a farm, however, every single class had a specific note for 9th level detailing what sort of followers they could attract, and what sort of "fortress" it was suggested they build(guilds for thieves, towers for mages, meditation retreats for monks, temples for clerics, etc.).

For the DM, it was suggested that they advance towards something more political, dealing with matters of the realm, not just tearing out monster hearts with their bare hands(though of course, sometimes that might still be called for). That they be shifted into the background as time went by, becoming parts of the setting as players shifted to a new "generation" of characters, with the old favourites occasionally getting brought out to counter huge threats to the world.

Firstly, it's great that there's a concept for changing the gameplay so it's not just the same poo poo from level 1 to 30, but with increasing numbers. Secondly, I like the idea that the ultimate "reward" isn't hitting level 20 and winning the game, it's having your character become a notable guy in the setting, a mover and shaker, maybe even a legend, and then playing the "next generation" who grew up with him or her having an impact on politics, being told stories of their adventures and maybe looking up to them.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I think one part of that which definitely needs reviving is the concept of the "Lord" level: Up to and including 2nd edition AD&D, it was assumed that when you hit 9th level, you'd start settling down. Advancement in fighting power(HP) and other adventuring stuff would start slowing down, just murdering things would not provide a lot of XP(relative to how much you needed) unless you went hunting dragons or something(not a clever idea) and your character had probably spent a good while adventuring by that point, up to a decade or so(in-game time). Instead of just retiring and buying a farm, however, every single class had a specific note for 9th level detailing what sort of followers they could attract, and what sort of "fortress" it was suggested they build(guilds for thieves, towers for mages, meditation retreats for monks, temples for clerics, etc.).

For the DM, it was suggested that they advance towards something more political, dealing with matters of the realm, not just tearing out monster hearts with their bare hands(though of course, sometimes that might still be called for). That they be shifted into the background as time went by, becoming parts of the setting as players shifted to a new "generation" of characters, with the old favourites occasionally getting brought out to counter huge threats to the world.

Firstly, it's great that there's a concept for changing the gameplay so it's not just the same poo poo from level 1 to 30, but with increasing numbers. Secondly, I like the idea that the ultimate "reward" isn't hitting level 20 and winning the game, it's having your character become a notable guy in the setting, a mover and shaker, maybe even a legend, and then playing the "next generation" who grew up with him or her having an impact on politics, being told stories of their adventures and maybe looking up to them.

The Adventurer, Conquerer, King System is a hack of B/X D&D that was designed to do exactly that. It details and codifies a lot of that post-dungeon gameplay that was hinted on in early D&D, but never really expanded upon. As a system, ACKS is a little too nitpicky for me, but I like its approach to fleshing out how to actually run a thieves guild, in-game.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
But if i wanted to play that why wouldn't i start a game as the lord and you know probably play a system that was designed to support that playstyle much better.

Honestly i think the biggest problem with games often enough is trying to cram 30 odd levels into a game and trying to make players play for years to reach the "end".

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Because some people will only play D&D. All the awesome games about feudal management, thieves guilds or wizard colleges in the world will not satisfy the dedicated D&Der. You have to sandwich the concept in the enveloping arms of the only game they will ever love if you want their patronage. The only solution I suppose is to make a better D&D, though we have all seen how well that is taken.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

remusclaw posted:

All the awesome games about feudal management, thieves guilds or wizard colleges in the world will not satisfy the dedicated D&Der.
There's Reign, and, um.. Well, Ars Magica kinda maybe counts?

Well, at least Blades in the Dark is coming out to scratch that thieves' guild itch I didn't even know I had. :3:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A lot of CoC fans are snobby purists about their game and how different it is from base, pandering, lowest-common-denominator-appealing hack-n-slash junk like D&D, and so the idea of a version of the game built on D&D rules and being compatible with D&D was an abomination. Oh, just what we needed, rules for fighting Nyarlathotep with +5 swords and wands of fireballs :rolleyes:.

Which was utterly stupid, because good ol' CoC was originally built on the hack-n-slash fantasy adventuring rules used for RuneQuest and Stormbringer, and you can see vestiges of its pulp fantasy wargaming roots with things like %impale and differentiating between kicks/punches/headbutts.

Just as there are lots of grognards who define themselves by the fact that they play D&D, there are lots of grogs who define themselves by the fact that they don't play D&D.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Elfgames posted:

But if i wanted to play that why wouldn't i start a game as the lord and you know probably play a system that was designed to support that playstyle much better.

Well, maybe some people enjoy the story arc of a wandering band of heroes actually becoming movers and shakers, rather than starting out at that level, or always being wandering heroes. I think that you'd be missing out on a lot of potential stories if you didn't have a system that could handle both. I'm entirely in favour of games that know what they want to be, and devote themselves to doing that thing right, but games can also be too narrow in scope.

Plus, it's already been done reasonably well in Birthright, so we know it's not an impossibility.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Our very own SomethingAwful did a review on it if you want to go down the rabbit hole a bit.

http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-tomb-horrors/1/

Read this ridiculousness (and it really only captures a small part of the adventure's lethality) and realize that it's just total and complete garbage that can't be solved with some bullshit "algorithm".

Sorry you got so mad about this module and that the people I game with absolutely hustled it, but there's seriously no part of ToH that can't be solved by being ultra-careful. The only reason one of them died is because the Fighter went "I'll try and defend myself" against Acererak's instant-death laser. They used the last wish they had to bring him back though. Mainly having 11 foot poles so you don't have to be in the same square to poke things, using other creatures to flush out traps, not going anywhere near anything that's obviously interactable, tying yourselves together and to heavy objects to avoid float and pit traps and using Divination if all else fails. The thing I'm impressed by is the Acererak kill, using the method that Gygax personally confirmed should work. Crown on head with 11 foot pole held by Geoff the Safety Skeleton. Tap crown with sceptre using 11 foot pole held by Geoff the Safety Skeleton. Boom, dead.

Edit: For what it's worth, I agree it's a terrible loving module which I why I declined to take part in that game. Spending 14 real life hours poking every square with an 11 foot pole and doing bullshit sounds like the opposite of my idea of a good time.

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 21, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

"While you're at it, buy a timeshare on the Negative Material Plane! You can rent it to your friends on the off-season! It's like making gold pieces on vacation!"

Now I'm imagining a bunch of wannabe necromancers and demonologists going to some obvious pyramid scheme seminar hosted by a pair of fast-talking demons.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That just makes me think of the time share episode of Always Sunny, and thus I want to run a wizard RPG where everyone's an evil moron stumbling from one farce to another. Which could just as well be "play like teenagers again."

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

All right, what is this loving magical mystery algorithm that's supposed to get you through the Tomb of Horrors? How does that even work?

Every single time you are presented with a choice literally all those choices are traps. You're presented with two ways in? Both those ways in are deathtraps. You come to a crossroads with routes leading left, right, and forward? All three ways of carrying on lead to deathtraps. But. At every single one of these choices there is a hidden option. It will be safe. Do not progress until you find it - even if it means lowering yourself into the pit trap and finding the secret door at the bottom of the pit trap. Then go through the secret way - it will be safe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Plague of Hats posted:

That just makes me think of the time share episode of Always Sunny, and thus I want to run a wizard RPG where everyone's an evil moron stumbling from one farce to another. Which could just as well be "play like teenagers again."

You're thinking of The Dying Earth RPG in Rhialto mode.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

You're thinking of The Dying Earth RPG in Rhialto mode.

Moving that up my to read queue, then.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Elfgames posted:

Settlers of Catan: the RPG?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BTW thanks to whoever it was who recommended Friday as the solo deckbuilder, but man it is rough. I've barely been able to get to the second phase all day.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

AmiYumi posted:

Does anyone have a link to the "draft" version that got sent out despite the Goon hivemind begging otherwise? I remember it being a cringe-inducing trashpile of in-jokes.

I completely missed this part of the process. I'd love a link too.

I threw out some ideas very early (divide the dungeon into biomes iirc) and like a year later got a book in the mail and was like wow! this is a really cool dungeon! oh my god, I completely forgot we collectively bought this!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fosborb posted:

I completely missed this part of the process. I'd love a link too.

I threw out some ideas very early (divide the dungeon into biomes iirc) and like a year later got a book in the mail and was like wow! this is a really cool dungeon! oh my god, I completely forgot we collectively bought this!

I threw out dumb jokes, I regret nothing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
To be fair the whole "higher levels you become the Lord" thing fits a lot of games I like so I'm all for it. Gimmie that Suikoden ttg.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Siivola posted:

There's Reign, and, um.. Well, Ars Magica kinda maybe counts?

Well, at least Blades in the Dark is coming out to scratch that thieves' guild itch I didn't even know I had. :3:

I have been reading Designers and Dragons, I was honestly probably thinking about Gamelords "Thieves Guild", though that is likely just as groggy as D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Is there not a Burning Wheel thread?

I got a copy as a gift and it looks amazing, but I have questions.

• Locked thread