Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OctoberCountry posted:

I haven't watched any of Spoony's stuff in years, but these videos are unedited three hours of of rambling at a camera punctuated by bad wrestler impersonations that go on for ten minutes at a time and occasional screaming.

Spoony hasn't changed at all, is what I'm saying.

And they're amazing. :allears:

It's me, I'm the guy who watches Spoony Wrestling videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsieurChoc posted:

And they're amazing. :allears:

It's me, I'm the guy who watches Spoony Wrestling videos.

I do as well. I really like Spoony's wrestling videos, it's often fun to hear a dedicated fan with a vast wealth of knowledge absolutely lay into the current incarnation of a property, and I think it's actually even more fun to listen to them without having ever seen an episode of wrestling in my life. Really I think the problem with Spoony's Vlogs is that there's more of them than anything else these days.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I too watch Spoony's Wrestling videos. :) However, I also download them and watch them in VLC Media Player with the playback speed increased.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

I do as well. I really like Spoony's wrestling videos, it's often fun to hear a dedicated fan with a vast wealth of knowledge absolutely lay into the current incarnation of a property, and I think it's actually even more fun to listen to them without having ever seen an episode of wrestling in my life. Really I think the problem with Spoony's Vlogs is that there's more of them than anything else these days.

It got me to look into more fun wrestling history, despite never having watched a wrestling match in my life either. The fall of WCW is an amazing tragicomedy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MonsieurChoc posted:

It got me to look into more fun wrestling history, despite never having watched a wrestling match in my life either. The fall of WCW is an amazing tragicomedy.

In this same vein, even if you're not really interested in Wrestling PLEASE read The Death of WCW. It's one of the most insane business/sports stories ever written. Read how a company went from one of the biggest things in pop culture in the 90's to an absolute trainwreck of wasted money and ego.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I do as well. I really like Spoony's wrestling videos, it's often fun to hear a dedicated fan with a vast wealth of knowledge absolutely lay into the current incarnation of a property

You would probably like the writings of Brandon Stroud. He's pretty funny, super knowledgeable, insanely passionate and has the added experience of partly running his own independent wrestling league.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

In this same vein, even if you're not really interested in Wrestling PLEASE read The Death of WCW. It's one of the most insane business/sports stories ever written. Read how a company went from one of the biggest things in pop culture in the 90's to an absolute trainwreck of wasted money and ego.

I started! I'm still on chapter 1 because I keep being distracted by vidya games and shiny objects.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Likewise! I stopped watching wrestling in earnest early in my teens (around Wrestlemania IX), but in recent years (largely due to Wrestle Wrestle, come to think of it) I've gotten into the culture of it. It's endlessly fascinating!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ap2si_stone-cold-vs-bret-hart-wrestlemania-13-with-austin-s-commentary_sport

This is Steve Austin's commentary on the match that kicked his career into high gear: his submission match vs Bret "the Hitman" Hart. The first 2:15 minutes is the buildup to the match, but his blow-by-blow commentary kicks off from there. Gives a whole new appreciation for what (good) wrestlers are capable of.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 21, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not really interested in wrestling, but reading about wrestling is fascinating. The one I find very interesting is the American Wrestling Association, because "What if Hulk Hogan had stayed with them instead of joining the WWF?" seems like it would have pretty big implications.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ghostpilot posted:

Likewise! I stopped watching wrestling in earnest early in my teens (around Wrestlemania IX), but in recent years (largely due to Wrestle Wrestle, come to think of it) I've gotten into the culture of it. It's endlessly fascinating!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ap2si_stone-cold-vs-bret-hart-wrestlemania-13-with-austin-s-commentary_sport

This is Steve Austin's commentary on the match that kicked his career into high gear: his submission match vs Bret "the Hitman" Hart. The first 2:15 minutes is the buildup to the match, but his blow-by-blow commentary kicks off from there. Gives a whole new appreciation for what (good) wrestlers are capable of.

Austin also did a play by play of his Wrestlemania X7 match with Rock. It's amazing.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Spoony's rants can be funny, but I never watched his wrestling vids, aside from the counter monkey on the wrestling rpg. 2 hours of wrestling vlogs seems a bit much.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 22, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A new Every Frame a Painting, this time focusing on Kurosawa and movement.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ikiru is probably my favorite Kurosawa film.

I've only seen two.

edit: cool video thanks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 21, 2015

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Anita's really going places. Hooray for her!

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/579733687513710593

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

In all fairness to Spoony we're coming up to what might be the biggest clusterfuck of a Wrestlemania in WWE history so there is a lot of poo poo to talk about. I'm talking good chance of the show being booed out of the building bad here.

Rough summary for those of us not in the know?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Mr. Repzion got swatted over the Anita Sarkeesian bomb threat.. https://youtu.be/AlmuKqKAIb4

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Darth Walrus posted:

Rough summary for those of us not in the know?

The Main Event this year is going to be Roman Reigns VS Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title. Roman is considered the heir apparent to be the new top guy in the WWE since John Cena is starting to look at retirement. He is someone who can be that guy and has every advantage, including being related to The Rock. The problem is that he has only been wrestling for 3-4 years and it shows. He's not terrible but not someone who can pull out the kind of match the main event at Wrestlemania needs to be. THe WWE has also failed to make him look like the powerhouse he needs to be.

For example, the ending to the Royal Rumble was Roman VS Big Show and Kane, two guys that have been in the WWE since the mid to late 90s. Instead of Having Roman just steamroll two of the monster heels in the WWE, Big Show and Kane are eliminated while they argue with each other. It's one of those WWE endings to a match where we need everyone to still look good at the end but the execution makes it so no one looks good, which has been a problem FOR YEARS!

On top of that, the WWE has this completely stacked roster, maybe their best since Hogan's days or the Attitude Era and it feels like they don't know what to do with anyone and their all just kind of there to put over the guys WWE wants to be their stars.

My own personal feelings, At the Royal Rumble when Daniel Bryan was eliminated (He looked like he slipped off the ring apron and landed on his feet) The WWE sent a loud and clear message "If you are the kind of fan who likes Daniel Bryan or anyone like him, you don't matter to us" So I stopped watching. Only reason I still have my WWE Network subscription is NXT.

Full disclosure though, I haven't watched WWE since The Royal Rumble so maybe they made Roman to look good.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

BigRed0427 posted:

The Main Event this year is going to be Roman Reigns VS Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title. Roman is considered the heir apparent to be the new top guy in the WWE since John Cena is starting to look at retirement. He is someone who can be that guy and has every advantage, including being related to The Rock. The problem is that he has only been wrestling for 3-4 years and it shows. He's not terrible but not someone who can pull out the kind of match the main event at Wrestlemania needs to be. THe WWE has also failed to make him look like the powerhouse he needs to be.

For example, the ending to the Royal Rumble was Roman VS Big Show and Kane, two guys that have been in the WWE since the mid to late 90s. Instead of Having Roman just steamroll two of the monster heels in the WWE, Big Show and Kane are eliminated while they argue with each other. It's one of those WWE endings to a match where we need everyone to still look good at the end but the execution makes it so no one looks good, which has been a problem FOR YEARS!

On top of that, the WWE has this completely stacked roster, maybe their best since Hogan's days or the Attitude Era and it feels like they don't know what to do with anyone and their all just kind of there to put over the guys WWE wants to be their stars.

My own personal feelings, At the Royal Rumble when Daniel Bryan was eliminated (He looked like he slipped off the ring apron and landed on his feet) The WWE sent a loud and clear message "If you are the kind of fan who likes Daniel Bryan or anyone like him, you don't matter to us" So I stopped watching. Only reason I still have my WWE Network subscription is NXT.

Full disclosure though, I haven't watched WWE since The Royal Rumble so maybe they made Roman to look good.

Roman also has an issue in that he cannot talk, so he cannot get people invested into his matches. It's not that Roman cannot be the guy, it's just right now this is too early for him. The major problem is that WWE have not been building other top guys to take Cena's place.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Gamers gonna shout and harass her all the way to the white house at this rate .

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

BigRed0427 posted:

Vince McMahon personally scripted several Roman Reigns interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRFWb4Ia3r0

They did not go well.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

admataY posted:

Gamers gonna shout and harass her all the way to the white house at this rate .

She really has struck gold. It really is fascinating, especially considering how boring her videos are. I love all the comments from the video I linked above where the people are convinced that she wrote the bomb threat herself and framed Mr. Repzion. It's like she's an evil genius.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

Mr. Repzion got swatted over the Anita Sarkeesian bomb threat.. https://youtu.be/AlmuKqKAIb4

At least he's showing humanity that he doesn't think that's a good thing? I've never watched his videos nor do I have much reason to, it's not like he's going to say anything that can change my mind about her. On another note so gamergate, you threatened a chick into Time magazine one of the most prolific magazines of our time. :golfclap: Seriously this is like watching a cartoon villain inadvertently making the hero look even better.

Edit: Remember that Folding Ideas video that pointed out that GGers would rather point fingers and make conspiracy theories when something bad inevitably leads to them? Yeah still applies according to this dude's video comments.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 22, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

She really has struck gold. It really is fascinating, especially considering how boring her videos are. I love all the comments from the video I linked above where the people are convinced that she wrote the bomb threat herself and framed Mr. Repzion. It's like she's an evil genius.

Yeah, she's a boring critic (boring, not wrong) and is really only famous/influential because of whiny gamers. Still, good for her.

Also I was considering the username Battle Feminist Anita but that uses too many characters.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Annointed posted:

At least he's showing humanity that he doesn't think that's a good thing? I've never watched his videos nor do I have much reason to, it's not like he's going to say anything that can change my mind about her.

Given that he entertained more the idea that someone could have sent the threat on the "anti gg" side more, dude's just clearing his dick from this. Heck, he could have said less and he would have looked better, jeez.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kunster posted:

Given that he entertained more the idea that someone could have sent the threat on the "anti gg" side more, dude's just clearing his dick from this. Heck, he could have said less and he would have looked better, jeez.

...It gets tiring when the opposing side is generally shitheads and people denying the rear end hattery. And people who say "GG who threatened people over the interwebs with doxes and swating and anti-gg, maybe the truth is in the middle :commissar:.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Moderation in itself isn't a great achievement . " Healing the rift" between awful people and those they harass is not a worthy goal .

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How old is that kid, 15? It kind of sounds like he's doing it under duress, like his mom yelled at him and told him to tell his internet friends that he doesn't use bad words in his e-mails. Is he representative of the people driving harassment of Anita Sarkeesian, because if they're all high-school kids with no idea how life works then suddenly their reliance on weird conspiracy theories makes a lot more sense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

admataY posted:

Moderation in itself isn't a great achievement . " Healing the rift" between awful people and those they harass is not a worthy goal .

Also why should actual adults pursuing real careers feel compelled to achieve rapprochement with misfit children incapable of the intellectual sophistication to know that they make dumb arguments?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

PassTheRemote posted:

Roman also has an issue in that he cannot talk, so he cannot get people invested into his matches. It's not that Roman cannot be the guy, it's just right now this is too early for him. The major problem is that WWE have not been building other top guys to take Cena's place.

This really can not be overstated. Reigns is loving abysmal on the mic and it really really hurts him. If they gave the guy some training on the mic and some more training and time he'd be fine. The biggest tragedy of the whole thing is that Roman can VERY easily become a massive player the fans would adore but he's so obviously not ready and Vince so obviously doesn't give a gently caress what people think that the fanbase is turning on him badly.

There's an almost 95% chance that if Roman wins, despite being booked as the hero, he's going to be booed out of the arena. That really really loving sucks because Roman seems like a legitimately nice dude whose just being utilized really really badly.

Also the other big problem for Wrestlemania is the rest of the card is pretty poo poo in general.It might not be the worst Wrestlemania, but it might be the most boring/forgettable aside from the crowd reaction to the end.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure who this guy is, but apparently he too was framed for sending a death threat to Anita Sarkeesian. https://youtu.be/B1mi052e5Mc

Does anyone know more about this?

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 23, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, she's a boring critic (boring, not wrong) and is really only famous/influential because of whiny gamers. Still, good for her.

Yeah, but it is a shame that all the white noise of idiots overshadows the good and thoughtful critiques and responses of her work. While I honestly can't stand her speaking voice I think Liana K did a really good series of videos on the FemFreq stuff.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, but it is a shame that all the white noise of idiots overshadows the good and thoughtful critiques and responses of her work. While I honestly can't stand her speaking voice I think Liana K did a really good series of videos on the FemFreq stuff.

Yeah, I like Liana's videos and agree with most of what she says. I don't really agree with much of Anita's points, but Liana is usually spot on. But to be honest, the angry responses to FemFreq are a joy. That's why I look forward to a new Anita video, or new Anita piece in the news, because I know there will be a new wave of nerd rage to soak in.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I used to find it really funny but I think that horse has been beaten to death. Lately I've accepted that there are crazy people on my side too and I think I enjoy their craziness even more.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BigRed0427 posted:

Don't forget them deliberately making the last couple of people in the ring that the fans cared about look like poo poo. Big Show does his knockout punch that looks like it can barely bruise a sponge cake then they're just dumped out of the ring slowly.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Watch as MechaGamezilla finally enters the foray of next gen gaming consoles and reviews The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

Yeah, I like Liana's videos and agree with most of what she says. I don't really agree with much of Anita's points, but Liana is usually spot on. But to be honest, the angry responses to FemFreq are a joy. That's why I look forward to a new Anita video, or new Anita piece in the news, because I know there will be a new wave of nerd rage to soak in.

It's hilarious seeing nerds fall all over themselves trying to get Anita exposed or blacklisted. :downsbravo:

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Not to make too much wrestlechat, but last year Reigns was one of the last two left in the Royal Rumble, and people were tearing off the roof at the possibility of him winning the whole shebang. One year later, he actually wins and ends up getting booed while the Rock raises his hand-that's ridiculous.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Whoolighams posted:

Not to make too much wrestlechat, but last year Reigns was one of the last two left in the Royal Rumble, and people were tearing off the roof at the possibility of him winning the whole shebang. One year later, he actually wins and ends up getting booed while the Rock raises his hand-that's ridiculous.

In all fairness as I recall most of the cheers were over him making sure Batista, who was everyone knew was going to a part-timer, didn't win the Rumble plus he wasen't being crammed down people's throats. Like people are saying, Roman's not TERRIBLE, he's just nowhere near ready.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also the other big problem for Wrestlemania is the rest of the card is pretty poo poo in general.It might not be the worst Wrestlemania, but it might be the most boring/forgettable aside from the crowd reaction to the end.

You have to actively try and make it worse than I think WM 20 when Brock Lesnar and Stone Cold Steve Austin literally just stared at each other and did basically nothing for the entire match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tae posted:

You have to actively try and make it worse than I think WM 20 when Brock Lesnar and Stone Cold Steve Austin literally just stared at each other and did basically nothing for the entire match.

Brock & Goldberg. Austin was the special guest referee.

• Locked thread