Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Miakis is like the strongest Suikoden character period. She doesn't even have to have three free rune slots to do it but I think does anyway. She might have competition from S4 Ted and Geddoe in terms of steamroll potential, but she can do it with regular attacks.

At least 5 finally made characters with strong single hits worth something with Georg and Cathari. Why yes, maybe a character who cannot multihit SHOULD have the best stats to compensate, thank you for noticing after five loving games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nakar posted:

At least 5 finally made characters with strong single hits worth something with Georg and Cathari. Why yes, maybe a character who cannot multihit SHOULD have the best stats to compensate, thank you for noticing after five loving games.

Which still isn't good enough and oh by the way, they are loving useless against the final boss because their magic resistance is lower than a rock. Thanks, 2nd playthrough option.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I was always annoyed that Isabel didn't get super strong hits like Cathari does. If she did she would rule and I still used her as a tank anyway

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't remember much about the S5 final boss, other than a vague memory of Miakis attacking and not stopping and it dying.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I haven't even seen Miakis in battle yet, she's awesome enough in the cutscenes. The fenced off intro section is still going 6 hours in.:psyduck:

Nakar posted:

I don't remember much about the S5 final boss, other than a vague memory of Miakis attacking and not stopping and it dying.
Sounds just like Wild Arms 3 and Clive going finest arts on every form of the final boss in between intense carrot chewing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
S5 has like one of the longest intros in all of gaming, but ultimately I think the setup pays off down the road. There's a lot of plot points thrown out that get revisited later, and it doesn't feel totally out of left field because of that intro.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

Actually you do know. His father was an insane abusive rear end in a top hat who raised him in swordplay from a child at the cost of everything else, basically turning him into a living weapon. Mueller murdered his father and took it upon himself to try to rehabilitate the boy.

That doesn't mean he's any good mechanically (exhibit A: anyone in Howling Voice).

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think we go over this every time BoF comes up, but BoF4 has some of the most insanely good parts of any jRPG out there. And then it also has some of the most tedious and dumb minigames and plot segments where absolutely nothing remotely interesting happens. You will almost certainly love the hell out of it as long as you can tolerate some stretches of downtime and dumb padding. It's worth powering through the bad points for the good ones, especially for the end game.

Breath of Fire 3 was a lot like this as well. I really loved 3 and its scope but it had some horrible minigames and segments, like the desert of death and the whole section of the game where you're trying to cross the sea and the game keeps forcing you to do stuff, like making sushi for some mayor that doesn't like it anymore. Hell, you could probably argue the same for 2 but my memory of that game is foggy since I beat it back in middleschool.

Breath of Fire is a pretty solid series though, it amazes me how capcom seems to be ashamed of its existence, I would have loved to have seen Scias or Fou-lu in one of the VS games.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Breath of Fire 3 was a lot like this as well. I really loved 3 and its scope but it had some horrible minigames and segments, like the desert of death and the whole section of the game where you're trying to cross the sea and the game keeps forcing you to do stuff, like make sushi for some mayor that doesn't like it anymore. Hell, you could probably argue the same for 2 but my memory of that game is foggy since I beat it back in middleschool.

Breath of Fire is a pretty solid series though, it amazes me how capcom seems to be ashamed of its existence, I would have loved to have seen Scias or Fou-lu in one of the VS games.

I don't think Capcom is ashamed of its existence, it just kinda runs into the same problem as a lot of mid-tier RPGs: not popular enough to keep going, not popular enough to have a ton of demand to bring it back.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd be okay with a more budget retro styled Breath of Fire game that'd still make some profit off the fanbase so long as it wasn't a goddamn phone game. I don't think anyone's asking it to be a competitor to Final Fantasy or anything.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't think anyone's asking it to be a competitor to Final Fantasy or anything.

Capcom would

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, they're so badly run now they wouldn't be happy with anything less than CoD/Battlefield Final Fantasy sales figures.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fair point.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fascinating. The in-game timer of Suiko 5 is frame-based. If you play a PAL copy in NTSC mode and save 8:something hours in, restart and load that save in PAL mode, the timer will be near 10 hours. Why is this a thing? :psyduck:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Fascinating. The in-game timer of Suiko 5 is frame-based. If you play a PAL copy in NTSC mode and save 8:something hours in, restart and load that save in PAL mode, the timer will be near 10 hours. Why is this a thing? :psyduck:

Saving as many processing cycles as possible is the name of the game. Simply tying something to an otherwise consistent time variable (frames per second) means not constantly running another clock timer. It's the same reason we got a bunch of frame locked console ports on PC. Seems trivial, but whatever, it works. It also keeps the in-game timer "fair" if there ever happens to be any slowdown and the player is somehow time limited by anything. Then you don't have to spend additional resources having your second clock monitoring the game cycle to make sure it is synchronized with the game speed (rather than ticking every X fraction of the CPU clock).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This talk of Breath of Fire... Is there likely to be a new one on the way or is that just this thread wishing?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there is a new one

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a mobile game!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cake Attack posted:

It's a mobile game!

rpg thread - its a mobile game.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

hubris.height posted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

hubris.height posted:

Video games in general: your favorite aged franchise is making its return as a mobile game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

This talk of Breath of Fire... Is there likely to be a new one on the way or is that just this thread wishing?
There is, but a lot of us are wishing it wasn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shenmue 3, coming soon to android and iOS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Pay $5 to find nearby Sailors immediately! :v:.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pay $3 for forklift skins!
Pay $5 to watch Tom dance!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Pay .25c to have Ryo play Hang-On! or Outrun.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Pay $5 to watch Tom dance!
You still will be unable to buy any of his dogs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You know taking care of the kittens would be a separate app and food costs real world money.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Turns out that Shenmue 3 is just a reskinned Tinder with an incredibly narrow focus.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's such a shame I can't find that storyboard video of what Shenmue 3 was supposed to be anymore. iirc it was narrated by the writer and it was completely :psyduck:. Specifically, I remember something about going to America and smoking weed with some hippies so you could get really high, which would enable to you to physically reach great heights and chase the villain to the moon.

e: Oh, it was a Mega64 video.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 23, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
A sad conclusion to rival the worst jrpgs.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

It looks crappy and not like a Breath of Fire game

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So according to GameFAQs I'm over halfway through Xenogears and about 4/5 of the way through the first disc, and it's STILL throwing out new characters and terminology without telling me what any of this poo poo means*. I don't even know what's going on in this game anymore.

* I guess that comes on Disc 2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And that's just Episode V out of VI, a lot of which is actually outlined in Perfect Works though I think the 6th one is pretty much a :iiam: footnote. They were ambitious as poo poo for Xenogears.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

And that's just Episode V out of VI, a lot of which is actually outlined in Perfect Works though I think the 6th one is pretty much a :iiam: footnote. They were ambitious as poo poo for Xenogears.

Hey now, it would've set them up for a whopping five more JRPG's and whoops, there went FFVIII with the last of the budget.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

So according to GameFAQs I'm over halfway through Xenogears and about 4/5 of the way through the first disc, and it's STILL throwing out new characters and terminology without telling me what any of this poo poo means*. I don't even know what's going on in this game anymore.

* I guess that comes on Disc 2.

Xenogears is the result of the Square staff watching Evangelion spliced with footage of Stanley Kubrick films while having a Bible reading race and listing every Charlton Heston film off the top of their head.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

al-azad posted:

Xenogears is the result of the Square staff watching Evangelion spliced with footage of Stanley Kubrick films while having a Bible reading race and listing every Charlton Heston film off the top of their head.

it can never ever happen again. nothing like it will ever be released i guaranty it

additionally, i think it might be the last square-enix jrpg to not be about high school students until 13-3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

it can never ever happen again. nothing like it will ever be released i guaranty it

additionally, i think it might be the last square-enix jrpg to not be about high school students until 13-3

The cast of Xenogears is as old as the cast of FFX and FFXIII. Most final fantasy games have protagonists around 18-23.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Young characters like Rikku and Yuffie were the exception, not the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Onion Knight.