Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

wit posted:

Yeah it can't really decide if your command is to merge or delete the thing you're dragging to.

Exactly. What helped me in the end was rotating the camera in a way that I was looking on it from the top-down, the tools seem to work better then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

simosimo posted:

3DS Max question :

How do you disable lines on the model you're working on. Like the outlines of the edges? It does it when I first open 3DS but as soon as I start looking at my UV map the green lines never go (at least I don't want to try touching stuff and muck something up)

Must be a hotkey to turn on off?

In the Modify Tab (the blue bendy tube tab next to the sun tab), deselect from the Unwrap layer by clicking on it (it should go from yellow to gray indicating that you're still on it, but it's not active). Alternatively, there are settings in that tab for the Unwrap where you can turn the green lines off or make them thinner/thicker.

Also, come join us in the 3D Thread. :)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

ExtraNoise posted:

In the Modify Tab (the blue bendy tube tab next to the sun tab), deselect from the Unwrap layer by clicking on it (it should go from yellow to gray indicating that you're still on it, but it's not active). Alternatively, there are settings in that tab for the Unwrap where you can turn the green lines off or make them thinner/thicker.

Also, come join us in the 3D Thread. :)

Lovely,

Cheers, also, is there a quick thing to disable the harsh lighting. Or better yet have fullbright? My model has an area away from the light and I can't see it due to a big shadow cast :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Police Automaton posted:

I finally got home to play a little on a computer that can manage this game, and I even managed to build something I wanted to build since Sim City 4:

An Bus Interchange! And it even works and makes sense! I love this game. (Also you can lock the framerate to 30 with a mod, I didn't manage to force the framerate otherwise)

EDIT: Nicer screenshot without HUD

I love this kind of poo poo.

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible to create this as a ploppable item? I've seen some highway interchanges setup as something you can pull down from the workshop.

You could probably do it as a ploppable, but the issue arises in the fact that pedestrian paths go absolutely apeshit around slopes and cause the world to burst at the seams when placed wrong.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

News stand lookin good!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So, I thought creating a roundabout at my cities entrance would be a great idea... now it's almost deadlocked

upgrade that poo poo to a highway son

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Apparently my cows caught on fire.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I love this kind of poo poo.

I'm not sure I'm did it right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHD4abL4neY

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Imagine four buses on the edge of a stop.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So, I thought creating a roundabout at my cities entrance would be a great idea... now it's almost deadlocked

Yeah, I learned the hard way that while roundabouts are better/faster and higher capacity than a normal intersection, they're not truly good for actually heavy duty traffic.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 22, 2015

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I feel sorry for these two guys

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those fish sticks arent going to make themselves.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just because weed is legal doesn't mean you need to give it to the bus schedule planners.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Lemon posted:

I feel sorry for these two guys

What kind of fish stick making involves a pressure vessel? :stare:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Koobze posted:

Apparently my cows caught on fire.

Those firefighters are probably just moonlighting as cattle washers in this tough economy

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Noyemi K posted:

The less you know the better.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I learned the hard way that while roundabouts are better/faster and higher capacity than a normal intersection, they're not truly good for actually heavy duty traffic.
That's when you need a bypass! Or two.

Or twenty.

There's a roundabout under that, I swear.

Larger context:

I posted this in the last thread, but it's grown considerably since then.

And it's still smooth as butter.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

How else would you turn a fish into a stick shape?

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Its not so much them being bad choices for heavy traffic as much as it is being bad choices for certain traffic patterns. Any time the major traffic movements on a roundabout cross paths you're going to have a bad day and some other intersection is going to work far better. In his case it looks like the predominant traffic flows are from right to bottom left/bottom and top left to somewhere else. So you have all this traffic coming in from the outside highway that's trying to go all the way around and crossing paths with other traffic trying to enter/exit.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Are there any tips for how to build a semidecent highway system? All the ones I've build turned into godawful traffic hellscapes. It may not help that I'm on a mountainous map so every off-ramp has to have like five miles to allow for altitude change

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

A warning to those who use the population rebalancing mod: NOTHING WILL PREPARE YOU FOR THE PORTAL TO THE TRAFFIC DIMENSION VIOLENTLY OPENING IN YOUR CITY!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Noyemi K posted:

A warning to those who use the population rebalancing mod: NOTHING WILL PREPARE YOU FOR THE PORTAL TO THE TRAFFIC DIMENSION VIOLENTLY OPENING IN YOUR CITY!

Confirming.

Hubris. Hubris got me again.

I send this message from beneath a pile of 40 near-identical trucks.

Dont send help. Learn from my error.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Eiba posted:

That's when you need a bypass! Or two.

Or twenty.

There's a roundabout under that, I swear.

Larger context:

I posted this in the last thread, but it's grown considerably since then.

And it's still smooth as butter.

Where we're going, you won't need cars to drive

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm terrible at Sim City games but this looks so good

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay so a question about zones. Once I've unlocked high density housing/commercial, why would I not use them? Do they behave differently to low density versions in any way besides packing more numbers in? And how's land value calculated? I can see value going up if I make a huge dense residential area but I'm not sure what's actually causing it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't seen a texture distortion in this game that I don't prefer to the proper thing.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

A triumph of mass transit engineering

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

You thought industry traffic was bad? You haven't seen traffic. I used to have bumper-to-bumper total gridlock trying to make residential sections like I usually do in a pop-modded city. Don't.

(I'd have screenshots but I actually ripped up half the city to fix it)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

The best kind.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Here is my.. contraption

I.. uh.. I don't know what it is but it flows

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

City progressing nicely. Traffic surprisingly smooth on the highway now. City has begun to connect to the once-remote harbor in the lower left. Running dangerously short on space. Considering damming the ocean to claim more.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

City progressing nicely. Traffic surprisingly smooth on the highway now. City has begun to connect to the once-remote harbor in the lower left. Running dangerously short on space. Considering damming the ocean to claim more.

which map?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Raeri Cove. Sweet map.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Have a smaller roundabout going the other direction inside and have ways to get on and off that roundabout to the current one.

People going south will now take the inner roundabout, people going straight will use both depending and people going north will stay on the outer one.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is it possible to mod the basic trees in such a way that they have a miniscule happiness value with a very small radius? Like treating them as a park, but with way way less effect. I tend to go a little tree crazy, filling in every available nook and meticulously lining all my paths and so on, and I just wish I could make my cims recognize the lush greenery instead of moping about low land value because I couldn't squeeze another two parks into their driveway.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Once I've unlocked high density housing/commercial, why would I not use them?
Sometimes you want small towns or suburbs.

One thing I've noticed is that the capacity of services don't really work well with full high density so you're going to have a lot of schools and hospitals in the same area if you decided to go full high density. Also you better have a good transit system worked out as well.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is it possible to mod the basic trees in such a way that they have a miniscule happiness value with a very small radius? Like treating them as a park, but with way way less effect. I tend to go a little tree crazy, filling in every available nook and meticulously lining all my paths and so on, and I just wish I could make my cims recognize the lush greenery instead of moping about low land value because I couldn't squeeze another two parks into their driveway.

I'd like a mod that randomly rotates each tree so that they look a little less like weird perfectly aligned props :I

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

I started a new city running that mod, and the only issue I've found is that there's something very wrong with my commercial sectors as they claim to not have enough educated workers...when everyone working there is more educated than the place requires. I assume that's the problem, or something wonky with the mod.

It didn't happen in the previous city that I accidentally flooded when I moved my water pumps away from poop river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody got a trick for laying out circles? I always end up with lovely looking roundabouts.

Edit: I'm an idiot it was in the OP. Uhhh, so traffic guys am I right?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 22, 2015