Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zero One posted:

And I traffic tip I found: No not build offramps on the left side of the highway. Not only is it bad practice in real life but if you do it in game it will cause huge backups because the cars can't handle merging like that.
Its closer to pick one side and stick to it. Through traffic avoids local lanes so if you have an on ramp on the right and an off ramp on the left in close proximity, you cram all your through traffic into the center lane with obvious results if your highway's running any sort of respectable traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

As long as I can shout "Stop, or you may be fired upon!" "Does your mother know what you're doing?"

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Speaking of garbage, how are you meant to get the zero pollution achievement? Replacing generic industry with farming or offices is a start, and treatment plants take care of water pollution completely, but it looks like both landfills and incinerators cause ground pollution.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Another Person posted:

Ew, all those grids.

Grids own :colbert: All that filthy sprawling squiggly road hierarchy crap is a rotten compromise. You want "organic", go to Whole Foods, cities are for concrete and machines and right angles.

Admittedly though, I do prefer the northern European style of staggered grids that change alignment between districts. Geometric planning doesn't have to mean monotony!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Guildencrantz posted:

Grids own :colbert: All that filthy sprawling squiggly road hierarchy crap is a rotten compromise. You want "organic", go to Whole Foods, cities are for concrete and machines and right angles.

Admittedly though, I do prefer the northern European style of staggered grids that change alignment between districts. Geometric planning doesn't have to mean monotony!

Gridlock is the only way to do things

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm liking the VFG based grids (sample) for breaking up the overall grid-ness of neighborhoods, but providing great service coverage and street layout. Drop a 5x5 park in the center of each small VFG grid section, and police/fire/clinic/school in the center of each 2x2 grid of grids.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Is there any way to see which direction your streets go without unpausing the game? I'm having a hell of a time with one-way streets, sometimes I'm alternating them and I forget which one I did last. Is there some way to see that either in the game itself or a mod?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just go to the an intersection and look at the arrows.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Domattee posted:

AFAIK Passenger trains do not carry your citizens, only tourists.

Nope passenger trains carry your dudes too. It's basically an above-ground metro.

Also, goddamn, I think I've found my ideal solution for highway overpasses/underpasses. At least outside of using frontage roads. I thought I was rather clever thinking up a design like this:

No stoplights, high speeds, only relying on the Cims supernatural yield abilities. I was all proud of myself for making these dual highway overpasses. Then I realized I was making squashed roundabouts. :v: Still, its an incredibly efficient setup since it acts as a roundabout with a bypass.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ragzilla posted:

So I guess there's a mod now that lets you manually configure turn lanes. Still early days but maybe it'll help with being able to do traffic-trident like setups, without having to micro-manage the exit roads. Unknown if it causes issues with the manual light configuration mod.
Oh man, now all we need are 4-lane roads without dividers and instead have center turning lanes.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I think I'm going to try and build a car free city today. Anyone got any ideas for what I can do about commercial deliveries?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sober posted:

Oh man, now all we need are 4-lane roads without dividers and instead have center turning lanes.
That's basically a 4 lane with a node of 6 lane at the intersection.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have the zonable pedestrian paths? There's a check box in the content manager area where you can allow trucks on it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

oh hell yeah

a mod that does post-processing things, most importantly anti-aliasing that isnt ssaa

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

vodkat posted:

I think I'm going to try and build a car free city today. Anyone got any ideas for what I can do about commercial deliveries?
Maybe there is a way to build roads around your city so they only connect to commercial for deliveries?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just got this game. What are the transit options in-game? Are there Subways? Streetcars? Light rail?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

I just got this game. What are the transit options in-game? Are there Subways? Streetcars? Light rail?

With no mods, you have metro, buses and trains.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Alkydere posted:

Nope passenger trains carry your dudes too. It's basically an above-ground metro.

Also, goddamn, I think I've found my ideal solution for highway overpasses/underpasses. At least outside of using frontage roads. I thought I was rather clever thinking up a design like this:

No stoplights, high speeds, only relying on the Cims supernatural yield abilities. I was all proud of myself for making these dual highway overpasses. Then I realized I was making squashed roundabouts. :v: Still, its an incredibly efficient setup since it acts as a roundabout with a bypass.

This is pretty boss

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Control Volume posted:

oh hell yeah

a mod that does post-processing things, most importantly anti-aliasing that isnt ssaa

Oh, DLAA is very nice. I hadn't heard of it before. Is there a good writeup on how it works?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Do any of the several first-person camera modes allow you to follow a driving vehicle/pedestrian? I use the Ground-Level one and it just stops following when I go to first-person.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tambaloneus posted:

Has anyone else ever ended up with weird orphaned bus-stops that aren't connected to a line and can't be clicked on or moved or deleted? If so is there a solution because this red dot of doom is causing an ever increasing number of people to congregate. Originally it was on a bridge so I thought they were looking at the view at first, then wondered if I'd stumbled on some bizzare death cult but on deleting bridge the stop jumped to the next bit of road where everyone ran to. I only have one bus line and it isn't connected to that. I tried moving another stop right under it but it won't do it.

I had one of these. It was in an area where I'd recently replaced a four-way six-lane intersection with a roundabout, which must have ruined its pathing, so buses were stopping in the middle of the roundabout and picking up no one before moving on. I had to delete the entire line and redraw it to make the errant stop go away. I only had one line in the area, so it was obvious which one the stop was connected to; you might have to delete a bunch if you've got multiple lines in close proximity.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I wish there was a warning that shows up as soon as people start getting sick because of filthy water. Was up to around 15k population, working in a new portion of the city, then I noticed I was suddenly -20k a month in the red, and my population went down to 7k. Turns out the new dam I built reversed the current in the section where I had my pumps and sewage output. D'oh. It was unsalvageable at that point since I went in the red entirely and couldn't fix it without the bailout option.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Every day I wake up, go to the workshop, and select "Most Popular (Today)" to see what's new and hot, and every day I'm blown away with what's now possible. Just glancing at the first page of the most popular mods of all time, and almost every single one of those seem drat near essential at this point.

Automatic Bulldoze, Extended Road Upgrade (though no longer needed), Tree Brush, Traffic Report Tool, All Tiles Unlockable, Mod Achievement Enabler, First Person Camera, Extended Public Transport UI, Dynamic Resolution, Autosave, Zoneable Pedestrian Paths, No Pillars, Terraform Tool, various Chripy mods, Sun Shafts, AutoLineColor, Ambient Occlusion, FindIt, Persistent Resource View, Additional KeyBindings, etc.

Every single one of those I woke up one day and said "Holy poo poo!" to when I saw it, and now we have toggleable traffic lights, lane control, post process effects, and SimCopter? Jesus loving Christ.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
RIP other goon who was trying this

...Unless that's also you.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

Just look for Super Recycle Center: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410777401

There is also an advanced crematorium that is very useful.

I guess what I really want is something futuristic. I loved all those future tech buildings in SimCity 2000. Or that trash-based fusion generator in Back to the Future 2.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Mantis posted:

This is pretty boss

Glad you like it. I've been modifying my other overpasses to use the trick. But it's basically having a somewhat squashed (and sometimes ugly) roundabout on top of or below a highway. As long as the two strips making the squash-about intersect with only a single road it creates a yield-based Y-intersection with no lights. Have a few more pictures:

The highway overpass at the bottom was the worst in my entire city. Just a constant gridlock since EVERYONE wanted to get off at the diamond that was here before. The entire suburb of Aspen Cove wasn't getting any services due to the mess everyone was making, not just the industry of Aspen Grove. It was backed all the way up to the previous overpass. It was also the worst to remake due to the hilly terrain and tight corners and it took me like half an hour to get a setup that not only fit but worked (I hosed up a few times and made setups that had lights).

Smokey Hills was the first suburb I made, right across the river of my original starting area. Traffic went from "normal" to "hellish gridlock" the moment I placed a university down in Smokey Hills. The overpass behind it serving Smithy Forge is also a bit janky due to terrain.

Not a squash-about, but the port is running rather efficiently. The fact that the port comes with its own road is annoying if understandable (asking a player to place a road perfectly for a building that also has to be over water would be a nightmare), but you can work with it. Just make sure the path in and out to it is one-way so that trucks never have to cross each other and truck traffic will make its way in and out with no fuss at all.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Control Volume posted:

oh hell yeah

This owns. Anyone made a bulldozer brush yet by any chance?

Colossal Order needs to add an official mod UI panel or something, mods arbitrarily setting various F-hotkeys is gonna get ugly real fast.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408760323 - this mod owns too, dunno if it was linked before or not

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2015

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Midgar?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Oh man I can't wait for making cities on elevated cities

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I am so loving GARBAGE at highways though holy poo poo

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Basic traffic flow/zoning question:

In the above image, will the city on the left, where residential areas are in the center of the city, and industry is on the outskirts, have more or less traffic flow problems than the city on the right, where residencies are on the outer ring and industry is in the center?

The basic problem I'm having right now is that I have industry on one side of town, and I'm getting more and more traffic from all the people driving from the other side of town, through downtown, and into the rest of the traffic mix trying to get into the major industrial area. I can't decide if it's better to start zoning residential around the rest of the major industrial zone (so everybody's still driving to the same place, but they're coming at it from different directions), or if I should make a second industrial zone on the other side of town where some of that worker traffic is coming from (so all the workers are driving in opposite directions).

e: basically I have zoning like this, with a second industrial district just built because I was thinking that the second option might work but I dunno:

and traffic likewise is going thusly:

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 22, 2015

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I can't believe all these mods. What happens if someone mods in something Colossal Order were holding back for paid DLC?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
They just gotta change their plans. They've probably done that already.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Ofaloaf posted:

In the above image, will the city on the left, where residential areas are in the center of the city, and industry is on the outskirts, have more or less traffic flow problems than the city on the right, where residencies are on the outer ring and industry is in the center?

The basic problem I'm having right now is that I have industry on one side of town, and I'm getting more and more traffic from all the people driving from the other side of town, through downtown, and into the rest of the traffic mix trying to get into the major industrial area. I can't decide if it's better to start zoning residential around the rest of the major industrial zone (so everybody's still driving to the same place, but they're coming at it from different directions), or if I should make a second industrial zone on the other side of town where some of that worker traffic is coming from (so all the workers are driving in opposite directions).

Their relative positions are meaningless when you can build routes that skip over from one to the other. The important thing is what combination of lines exist between the points of Highway, Industry, and Residence. If there are exits which bypass your factories and head right to the suburbs, trucks have no reason to use them and the cars will flow free. Likewise the other way around.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Enzenx posted:

Zoneable Pedestrian Paths

Rather predictably, there's a mod for that.

Awwww yisss this game is so loving great with all these insane mods.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I have a feeling this game is going to run into mod conflict hell unless someone makes some central framework for doing things like adding buttons to the screen and modifying systems.

It needs something like the mod configuration menu from Skyrim.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Loving texturing this. Do we think my style of hand drawn textures will fit in the game?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It honestly might be too detailed. But its so small I don't think it'll matter much.

Elukka posted:

They just gotta change their plans. They've probably done that already.

Yeah, this or make a better version, mechanically or aesthetically.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

e: basically I have zoning like this, with a second industrial district just built because I was thinking that the second option might work but I dunno:

and traffic likewise is going thusly:

In a simplified situation (i.e. spherical cows, or in this case spherical semi trucks) the situation on the left is usually better. The industry is the real source of your worst traffic and giving them the easiest access to any ingress/egress points on the outside of your city would generally mean reduced traffic issues. The situation on the right is only better if the options to export (ports, railroads) are in the center, but earlier in development your big export/import arteries are your roads and highways.

In short, place your industry to give it the best access to outside connections. The left setup is a lot closer to what a reasonable setup would look like since roads and highways are some of the easiest export options The right one would only be better if you ended up in a situation where the only export options were in the center of your city, like the map was some sort of giant crater. The reality is your setup will generally end up being a completely random patchwork which is based entirely on where/how you build your roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Anyone with some hot tips for how to do bus stops? I have no clue and just plopped them everywhere and well there isn't really much way to figure out how well it works anyway.