Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I certainly always have my phone plugged in when I'm at my office desk at work, so I'd go so far as to say my phone gets more use plugged than unplugged. I have an iPhone 6 and have never noticed it having any battery issues when I am away from a charge for an extended period of time:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah but you don't want to be tethered to a cable that's attached to your wrist

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spatule posted:

No we're not. People worship anything Apple makes for no valid reason, and poo poo over other companies for much smaller mistakes.
An example: The iphone 6. I'm sorry, than greyish plastic antenna line looks like rear end. If Samsung had done this, you'd never hear the end of it.
And the metal body of my iPhone 5S ? It scratches if you look at it, and it's slippery as gently caress. An ergonomic nightmare without a case. Do people complain ? No, they whine about non-slippery plastic phones that also resist falls better, because that's what plastic does.
Millions of morons will but the new overpriced macbook, which is nothing special and full of flaws.

Edit: best example of Apple and its followers being delusional: THE PERFECT IPHONE SIZE, not bigger than the iPhone 5. Oh wait, let me pretend we never said this.

You've got issues.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

bobfather posted:

You people are crazy.

Modern day smart phones look and function the way they do because of the iPhone.
No first-generation Apple product is ever perfect, but Apple always ends up making stuff that's so good other companies can't help but take inspiration from it.

Spatule posted:

No we're not. People worship anything Apple makes for no valid reason, and poo poo over other companies for much smaller mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Spatule posted:

An example: The iphone 6. I'm sorry, than greyish plastic antenna line looks like rear end. If Samsung had done this, you'd never hear the end of it.
And the metal body of my iPhone 5S ? It scratches if you look at it, and it's slippery as gently caress. An ergonomic nightmare without a case. Do people complain ? No, they whine about non-slippery plastic phones that also resist falls better, because that's what plastic does.
Millions of morons will but the new overpriced macbook, which is nothing special and full of flaws.

Edit: best example of Apple and its followers being delusional: THE PERFECT IPHONE SIZE, not bigger than the iPhone 5. Oh wait, let me pretend we never said this.

This one post has inspired me to never rant about anything on the internet ever again. Dude said a phone would scratch by just looking at it. loving breathe, dog.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So yeah, I'll take my Apple Watch Sport in silver with a black band. Are preorders open yet? I'm sick of staring at an empty wrist.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
This thread is 95% insane people ranting about lovely performance on a product that is over a month away from release.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Feels good to be in the 5% :smug:

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 22, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Spend your money on intentionally overpriced gadgets while children literally die of aids it's cool

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

rear end Catchcum posted:

Spend your money on intentionally overpriced gadgets while children literally die of aids it's cool

I spent 10 dollars on SA when I could have donated it to buy who knows how many pounds of food aid for Africa, so precedent is on my side!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm leaning toward 42mm regular with link bracelet. Stainless, not space black. The other bands look like crap to me.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

shodanjr_gr posted:

So yeah, I'll take my Apple Watch Sport in silver with a black band. Are preorders open yet? I'm sick of staring at an empty wrist.

Silver sport doesn't come with a black band. that's an extra 50 bucks.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

This watch could have saved one more jew!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Sick anti Semitism. Another shinning example of the type of Neanderthals Tim is catering to that Steve would have brushed aside

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

I'm sure there are civil wars fought over and atrocities committed for the raw materials used in its production too. Start a thread in D&D so we can discuss further.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Jesus christ about the battery. I'm sure the Apple watch will have some sort of major flaw but as long as the battery lasts one full day it's not going to be a problem for like 99% of people. Who doesn't take their watch off at night? So you will stick a magnet on it instead of just leaving it on the counter, it's not going to be a problem.

I've warn watches for a while now, I keep my G Watch charger in my bathroom, even when I am completely totally hammered, wake up in my clothes hammered I still find my watch on the charger.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

Who doesn't take their watch off at night?

Many people don't take their watches off at night. Not everyone has big annoying watches.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

Many people don't take their watches off at night. Not everyone has big annoying watches.

Then buy a pebble is you want a smart watch with longer battery life. I'll admit I'm still a bit torn on pebble time vs apple watch.

But yeah, no one is forcing anyone to buy the apple watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Then buy a pebble is you want a smart watch with longer battery life. I'll admit I'm still a bit torn on pebble time vs apple watch.

You didn't hear? Tim Cook is sending out the Apple Stormtroopers to make EVERYONE buy one. If you don't, you'll be forced to make them in China for the rest of your life.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Duckman2008 posted:

I still switch back and forth between my Wear and my Pebble all the time. Just buy the old plastic pebble along with the Apple Watch.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Jesus christ about the battery. I'm sure the Apple watch will have some sort of major flaw but as long as the battery lasts one full day it's not going to be a problem for like 99% of people. Who doesn't take their watch off at night?

Not everyone works on a 12 to 24hr cycle. Frequent flying is an easy case where you can't guarantee a charge. Ditto not staying at home overnight, foreign travel, leaving your watch at work because reasons, *forgetting*. The more buffer the less you need to plan around dead batteries (I'm looking at you, still, cell phones in 2015), the best thing about phablets and the worst about the race to the thinnest.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Well there is the low battery mode which just tells time. That is slated to last for considerably longer than a day.

I'm curious to see what the finish is like on the band attachment points. Wondering if the classic black band will have stainless steel for the clasp and how that will look against the aluminum.

Also, I want a 24hr analog face.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

If you can't reasonably adhere your lifestyle to a watch that needs to be charged every day then do not loving buy one.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I think you recognise the limitation *after* you make the purchase of your new coveted shiny. We're talking first gen pre-order sight unseen here. See also "speculation".

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah at least the pebble is on v2

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Mr Funkface posted:

Not everyone works on a 12 to 24hr cycle. Frequent flying is an easy case where you can't guarantee a charge. Ditto not staying at home overnight, foreign travel, leaving your watch at work because reasons, *forgetting*. The more buffer the less you need to plan around dead batteries (I'm looking at you, still, cell phones in 2015), the best thing about phablets and the worst about the race to the thinnest.

Wouldn't most of these be fixable by bringing a charge cable with you? Presumably you will still be going to sleep at some point.

EDIT: Apple Watch is not feasible for me, your everyday meth addict who doesn't sleep for 80 hour stretches.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Not really - if you're in a place where getting sleep is difficult it's not likely to be a good place to find some juice for electronics or even the most welcome concern. Long distance travelling can be very sucky.

EDIT: is your argument that batteries are good enough and there is no reason to want better that isn't mitigated by a cable? It's a confusing position to take.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 22, 2015

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Mr Funkface posted:

Not really - if you're in a place where getting sleep is difficult it's not likely to be a good place to find some juice for electronics or even the most welcome concern. Long distance travelling can be very sucky.

EDIT: is your argument that batteries are good enough and there is no reason to want better that isn't mitigated by a cable? It's a confusing position to take.

The standard answer for "normal" use is that you charge the watch when you sleep. i think the stated time to charge is <2 hrs? So while travelling, you are either still sleeping at least 2 hours at some point, or you slip it off while on the plane to charge while connected to a laptop or external battery pack. It's not the perfect situation, but living a life with an unusual schedule probably requires unusual workarounds already anyways.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
Double post

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
nm.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 22, 2015

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
So I was considering this while driving last night, even if there's some super loving tractor app coming on the watch, I absolutely will not spend longer than 30 seconds at a stretch looking at my loving watch.

First, arm will get quickly tired, second, if I need to spend longer than probably 10 seconds I will very very quickly gravitate to the bigger screen in my pocket.

I do this with my pebble, anything longer than a text and I'll pull the phone out to read the email, the watch does firewall that so I'm only pulling for the "important" ones though.

So assuming I'm doing that quick check like 500 times a day I'm going to be using the watch for 41 minutes a day total.

Just think about it, if I'm taking a call on my wrist I'm doing to say "I'm too busy to take my phone out, I'll call you back when I'm not".

For this above reason I speculate there could perhaps never be a camera on the Apple Watch; though the temptation to add Dick Tracy watch video calls is high, I truly believe the actual physical usage case limitations are so strong to make it beyond practical even if we were at the point where the hardware was ready for cameras and standalone cell service and week-long battery life.

It's still a watch and it will be used in that fashion primarily, quick glances and responses measured in seconds, not long flipping tapping flapping browsing sessions.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

eltoozero posted:

the watch does firewall that so I'm only pulling for the "important" ones though.

It's still a watch

Yeah, so it's a remote screen and basic controls for your smartphone, not the second coming.

This, but not looking like a sports watch: http://www.magellangps.com/Echo

edit: 4 to 6 month "heavy usage" battery life. 18 hours ahahahahah.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If you think apple is Doing everything they can do and that's 18 hours you're a fool fan boy who will defend anything. Just admit you're a shill. It's fine. But acting other wise is just sad

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

If you think apple is Doing everything they can do and that's 18 hours you're a fool fan boy who will defend anything. Just admit you're a shill. It's fine. But acting other wise is just sad

That's nice.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Coming into a thread for a product you are not interested in just to insult people who might be interested in it is just sad.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I was super interested in it and then they revealed it and now I'm super interested in April of next year when the Better one comes out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was super interested in it and then they revealed it and now I'm super interested in April of next year when the Better one comes out.
I, too, like treadmills.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mr Funkface posted:

You guys just need to pick up a cheap portable battery like this one. I have an older version and it recharges my iPhone 5s 2.5 times. This one says it can recharge the iPhone 5s 6 times. It makes things a lot less stressful when you're traveling or out all day without an outlet. At night I can plug it into the wall and daisy chain charge my iPhone or iPad off it, cutting down on plugs I need to bring.

I'd also recommend getting a short lighting cable to go with it for pocket charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Dude that's not the future that's loving lame.

• Locked thread