Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The FJ-09 looks like a sweet tourer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

n8r posted:

Bmw is constantly trying to come up with new ways for motorcycles to work and redesigning things. Honda has been constantly refining the goldwing for 30+ years.

I'd also be considering the concourse and the fjr. The Yamaha is probably the real bargain choice of the bunch.

I got to do a test ride on a FJR during a factory test ride and I loved it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally managed to nail down a bike (CBF125), but on the ride home it became apparent that the handlebars took a slight bend from being dropped at some point.

Is there anything to tell between handlebars other than ergonomics?

e/ sort of related, is there a centre stand for another bike that'll fit the cbf? Replacements specifically for it don't seem to exist, despite how common it is for the shittily welded footpeg to snap off.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

(Actually I've never heard one outside of youtube videos cause I don't hang out with grandpas so I have no idea but I'd imagine the 6 sounds awesome)
If you can find a youtube user with the right microphone, the k1600s sound amazing. Like a race car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Finally managed to nail down a bike (CBF125), but on the ride home it became apparent that the handlebars took a slight bend from being dropped at some point.

Is there anything to tell between handlebars other than ergonomics?

e/ sort of related, is there a centre stand for another bike that'll fit the cbf? Replacements specifically for it don't seem to exist, despite how common it is for the shittily welded footpeg to snap off.

I can't speak for a CBF125 centre stand (though I'd be extremely surprised if such a thing exists), but as for handlebars, not really. Renthals and other expensive brands are stronger and better made but that doesn't really matter in your case. Worth mentioning: aftermarket bars don't have holes for the little locating lugs Honda like to use for their switchgear, so you'll either have to drill new holes (not recommended) or shave off the plastic lugs. The latter option isn't harmful in any way but can sometimes lead to the switchgear not being 100% tight on the bar, so the blocks will move a little every time you use the indicators or the killswitch or whatever.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If you can find a youtube user with the right microphone, the k1600s sound amazing. Like a race car.

:agreed:

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

marshmonkey posted:

Yea, I have test ridden it twice now. No problem holding it up at a stop, just makes me feel a bit uneasy (especially 2 up) coming from a bike I can flatfoot no problem. I think some shoe lifts and seat modification would get me most of the way to feeling better about it. The bike didn't feel very top heavy, pretty well balanced really. The suspension and wind protection are awesome, at least compared to my CTX700. My partner really liked it riding pillion.

I already kitted out my CTX to be as touring friendly as possible:

Just looking for something to really soak up the miles, and perform better at freeway speeds + better range. I have to spend most of my time weaving around road imperfections because the suspension isn't that stellar. I like the luxury doodads on the RT too like locking/unlocking all the bags on the bike with one button. The on-the-fly adjustable windscreen is pretty sweet too.

*edit* I'll almost always be two-up, so stuff like the roadster probably isn't going to cut it. The passenger comfort of something like the RT is important.

Did it come in that color?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Giblet Plus! posted:

Did it come in that color?

No, that was my own invention.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I actually enjoy DayGlo Yellow.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is the actual tube visibly bent or is the wheel pointing slightly to one side when the handlebar is held straight?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
tl;dr: No, not that I can tell.

I should probably mention this is my friend's assessment, as he's the one who rode it back for me, since I haven't had enough alone time with a geared bike to be comfortable on the road on something that may (and as it turns out, does) have some minor bugs.

Anyway: he said it handles fine, just that going straight it felt like his right hand was set for a very mild right turn. Neither of us could detect anything when the bike was stationary or just putting around the car park it was in.

e/ how common a feature is it to have to take the engine apart to get at the oil filter?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 22, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One thing that happens a lot after a fall is that the fork tubes can be tweaked in the yokes. The fix is simply to undo the bolts, eyeball it straight (or line up with a piece of string from the rear wheel). Another thing which can happen is that wheel alignment is out somehow. Could be the rear wheel not being straight after a chain adjustment, could also be the spacers put back in the wrong order on either wheel. I've done both. When I put the front spacers in wrong, the bike pulled slightly to one side and I had to hold an ever so light steering input to the wrong side - small enough that I was doubting everything from the road camber to the tire itself.

Just something to keep in mind if you observer it again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

One thing that happens a lot after a fall is that the fork tubes can be tweaked in the yokes. The fix is simply to undo the bolts, eyeball it straight (or line up with a piece of string from the rear wheel). Another thing which can happen is that wheel alignment is out somehow. Could be the rear wheel not being straight after a chain adjustment, could also be the spacers put back in the wrong order on either wheel. I've done both. When I put the front spacers in wrong, the bike pulled slightly to one side and I had to hold an ever so light steering input to the wrong side - small enough that I was doubting everything from the road camber to the tire itself.

Just something to keep in mind if you observer it again.

You normally don't even have to straighten them, just loosening off the yokes and pumping the front suspension a few times is normally enough to get it back in shape (obviously make sure you don't drop the yokes down the fork legs).

The chain adjuster on the CBF is the stupidest loving arrangement I've ever seen and it's very easy to end up with the back wheel badly out of whack - that's worth double-checking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e/ how common a feature is it to have to take the engine apart to get at the oil filter?

:raise: you're going to need to elaborate on this.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

how common a feature is it to have to take the engine apart to get at the oil filter?

Some bikes have pop on vs screw on oil filters. (Hello GS500!)

You have to pop off a cover that has bolts that are super easy to overtorque if you aren't careful too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

:raise: you're going to need to elaborate on this.

I was under the impression that most bikes have filters accessible via their own bolt on cover; for the cbf you have to remove the main engine casing (not just for the strainer, but for the centrifugal filter as well).

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The chain adjuster on the CBF is the stupidest loving arrangement I've ever seen and it's very easy to end up with the back wheel badly out of whack - that's worth double-checking.

After looking up a video of the process, :agreed:

I'll add a torque wrench and vernier calliper to my shopping list.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 22, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife's XL175 has an oil filter buried in the engine. Have to take the shifter and exhaust header off to get the engine cover off to get at it. Pain in the rear end, so we've never done it. Just the strainer. I'm pretty sure the XL will run on bacon grease in a pinch so I am not worried.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was under the impression that most bikes have filters accessible via their own bolt on cover; for the cbf you have to remove the main engine casing (not just for the strainer, but for the centrifugal filter as well).

After looking up a video of the process, :agreed:

I'll add a torque wrench and vernier calliper to my shopping list.

Oh right. When you said 'take the engine apart' I expected more than 'take one cover off'. It really isn't that difficult and it's a fairly common thing for ancient engine designs, of which Honda are extremely fond. IIRC that design fell out of favour when they decided you needed to change the filter with every oil change instead of every second.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What do you Beardy fellas do to help with irritation/itchiness from the chin strap? It was killing me today.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shave.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Do you shave your vagina as well?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

how beardy are you? It helps a lot if I let mine grow out.

fake edit: or shave.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Yes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

What do you Beardy fellas do to help with irritation/itchiness from the chin strap? It was killing me today.

Did you forget your estrogen?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Does blowing up motors make your irritable? I didn't think so cause blackmk4 seems chill

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nsaP posted:

No, I think your chin strap might be too loose if it's chafing your vagina.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Letting it grow out a bit helps.

If you grow it long enough you get the effect of a chin curtain, which is nice in winter.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

No, I think your chin strap might be too loose if it's chafing your vagina.

I don't know, he's got a pretty big one.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Beards are for men not boys nsap.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Burma Shave.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I don't have a garage or a place I can store my bike inside, and my cover is starting to look pretty terrible, it's got several tears in it from years of use.

What's the best bike cover out there? Easiest to put on/remove, etc.?

I'll probably drop a good amount of money on it, too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nsaP posted:

OMG vaginas don't have hair and can't be shaven.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah, so if the bike isn't starting and you have gas in the cylinder, then the fuel is probably not being stopped when the float bowl gets full and it's running down into your cylinder. The needle valve is what stops the flow of fuel. Sometimes, those needle valves simply stick - they get a little varnished or a piece of sand makes it through your tank and into the carb. Take the butt end of a screw driver and whack the float bowl on the carburetor a few times, that can dislodge it and then everything is hunky dory again without having to open everything up.

If you got a bunch of gas in your cylinder already, you might want to change out that oil. The fuel can leak down into the case and dilute the oil.

So I finally have my carb pulled apart and all that nonsense, and it is pristine inside as far as I can tell. Everything looks good. Should I just put it back together and hope everything is solid, or am I trying something new?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You should be checking if the float needle and valve are actuating correctly, as that's what stops fuel from overflowing once it comes in. You should also consider running a wire though the pilots to make sure they're clean.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Chichevache posted:

So I finally have my carb pulled apart and all that nonsense, and it is pristine inside as far as I can tell. Everything looks good. Should I just put it back together and hope everything is solid, or am I trying something new?

Look for this gizmo:

Look to see if it seals where it should. If the little needle gizmo is worn or otherwise messed up, replace it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nitrogen posted:

Look for this gizmo:

Look to see if it seals where it should. If the little needle gizmo is worn or otherwise messed up, replace it.

Doesn't look that worn to me, but I guess I will buy a new one to make sure.

Z3n posted:

You should be checking if the float needle and valve are actuating correctly, as that's what stops fuel from overflowing once it comes in. You should also consider running a wire though the pilots to make sure they're clean.

Looks like I need to go buy some calipers to make sure my floats are set right etc. Alright. Thanks all. Gonna go get a new needle, calipers, and some gaskets, and then hopefully I can have this fucker running tonight!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any recommendations on a simple bar mount for an iphone 6? Preferably enclosed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Any recommendations on a simple bar mount for an iphone 6? Preferably enclosed

I'm a big fan of the Givi S950, but there's been a RAM one discussed here before that other people were very keen on.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
RAM mounts are amazing. I use the one that mounts directly to a handlebar/yoke bolt with two degrees of rubber separation, attached to a RAM X-Grip. It's fully exposed to the wind on my naked bike and it's never budged over my last 4k miles.

I guess what I'm saying is RAM is the best, and that their X-Grip stuff is way more robust than you might expect.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
My RAM mount has started squeaking at low revs, I guess I'll try and slightly grease the ball joint. Has been solid otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Just finished installing everything and went for a short ride. The DRZ has significantly more power after all that. I'm getting baby wheelies in gears 1-3 now, which didn't use to be the case.:3:

Hopefully I installed everything right and I won't be back to diagnose in a few hours.