Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

quote:

However, Ţulę has been discovered by other races of men, and even worse, by the ettins, and naturally they all have arrived in Ţulę, and in their wake comes all sorts of troubles, challenges – and great opportunities for adventure!

:sigh:

Well that's uncomfortable. "AND EVEN WORSE," conveys not only his idea that "other races of men" are bad, but that the reader should already have assumed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

known as Hĺlogaland (translated as «the holy land»)

Varg, if you're going to write about your language, at least understand it first. Or try to read material written by non-racists.

A bit of etymology. The actual origin and meaning is unclear but we ruled out "holy" before Varg was born.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nuns with Guns posted:

In this case "erasure" is probably being used correctly tho since they're making some cartoonish caricature of native culture that sort of blends iconic bits of all the nations together into a slurry and pours it over an RPG book. On top of Monty Cooke & co. going "pfff fine we'll rewrite it but fyi we don't care about those native americans we offended because we found some that weren't." Which is pretty dismissive of the feelings of someone's heritage.
The University of Illinois' mascot "Chief Illiniwek" is pretty illustrative of this predictable back-and-forth (though I am sure many other examples are; once the Redskins finally change their own awful name it will likely become a better one). Illinois finally canned the minstrel show bullshit about a decade ago, but of course the people who still to this day wear shirts with the Chief on them (I assume some are bootlegged by now) will point out that HIS RITUAL DANCE WAS DESIGNED BY REAL NATIVES WHICH MEANS IT IS HONORING THEM NOT INSULTING THEM, but I believe the polls showed that the overwhelming majority of Illiniwek (and other such relevant groups) thought it was offensive, and that seems fairly important to ascertaining something's potential to offend.

I mean, like, all it ever takes is changing the group identity to instantly show why the belief is wrong. "We have faithfully recreated the dance of this African tribe circa 1830, honoring their heritage with this mascot"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

quote:

However, Ţulę has been discovered by other races of men, and even worse, by the ettins

Congrats to Ettin for expanding the Great TTG Conspiracy far enough to begin infiltrating people's actual games.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Professional scam artist game designer GMS tells it like it is.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And of course Monte Cook Games threatens to block people who poke at him back. :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Okay, can I get some potted biographies on all these people? I hear name after name with a chorus of nods and "yeah that guy would said that because [HINT OF TERRIBLE THING]", and it really makes the conversation hard to follow.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I still get a smile out of gms blocking me for showing point for point how he is literally the strawman he keeps attacking.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And of course Monte Cook Games threatens to block people who poke at him back. :v:

well, it's not as though he's going to release any competing weird west setting material any time in the foreseeable future, right?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loxbourne posted:

Okay, can I get some potted biographies on all these people? I hear name after name with a chorus of nods and "yeah that guy would said that because [HINT OF TERRIBLE THING]", and it really makes the conversation hard to follow.

gareth skarka is best known for a) not releasing products people gave him good money to create and b) being incredibly obnoxious and wrong any time something lovely happens in the the tabletop roleplaying games industry

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Loxbourne posted:

Gareth Michael Skarka is the fellow behind Far West, a notable and ongoing kickstarter failure. It's going to remain a failure even if it comes out at this point, being years off target, having burned all its bridges and including straight up copied artwork. Skarka is also a huge rear end in a top hat who e-stalks people to tell them he's the real oppressed person and explains things like why there are no natives in his Western game with, well, less than grace.

He is of course a close industry buddy of Monte Cook and Bruce R. Cordell, both of whom wrote for D&D for years. Really, it'd be easier to google their names and see just how big these names are in the industry and how influential they are.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Gareth Michael Skarka is the fellow behind Far West, a notable and ongoing kickstarter failure. It's going to remain a failure even if it comes out at this point, being years off target, having burned all its bridges and including straight up copied artwork. Skarka is also a huge rear end in a top hat who e-stalks people to tell them he's the real oppressed person and explains things like why there are no natives in his Western game with, well, less than grace.

He is of course a close industry buddy of Monte Cook and Bruce R. Cordell, both of whom wrote for D&D for years. Really, it'd be easier to google their names and see just how big these names are in the industry and how influential they are.
He's also a huge hypocrite too as its not exactly like he hasn't been vocal about issues of racism in the past. Its basically amounts to only his argument is the only valid one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

He's also a huge hypocrite too as its not exactly like he hasn't been vocal about issues of racism in the past. Its basically amounts to only his argument is the only valid one.

Or, to put a finer point on it, the only valid moral outrage is Gareth's moral outrage. If he doesn't see a reason to be upset about something, then people are just overreacting.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm still amazed he still hasn't produced anything for his backers of Far West. It's always been days away for like years.

Edit: Oh, he's still producing bad art

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 21, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you as a business are getting positive reinforcement from Skarka and you protect him from negative comments back, you kind of deserve what you're getting.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Slimnoid posted:

Professional scam artist game designer GMS tells it like it is.

Big point for everyone on the net: Talking in the third person doesn't make you not that thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It takes some balls to play the "middle-class white guys" card in defense of middle-class white guys. Also

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Edit: Oh, he's still reproducing bad art

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

Or, to put a finer point on it, the only valid moral outrage is Gareth's moral outrage. If he doesn't see a reason to be upset about something, then people are just overreacting.
Gareth has a hierarchy of outrage, and at the very top of that pyramid is Mere Fans Talking poo poo To Game Designers. Skarka will take up cudgels against any fan or fans who dare to treat Game Designers with anything other than perfect deference and overweening gratitude. It trumps all other considerations for him, which is why him announcing his unwillingness to keep supporting and defending James "The Grim Raper" Desborough against his critics was such a shock

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FMguru posted:

Gareth has a hierarchy of outrage, and at the very top of that pyramid is Mere Fans Talking poo poo To Game Designers. Skarka will take up cudgels against any fan or fans who dare to treat Game Designers with anything other than perfect deference and overweening gratitude. It trumps all other considerations for him, which is why him announcing his unwillingness to keep supporting and defending James "The Grim Raper" Desborough against his critics was such a shock

Though only after Des threw in with GamerGate, and still with qualification that amounted to "but I was right about everything else."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Considering that Des' crazy libel tourism thing was attempted by Skarka months earlier, I'm surprised they didn't get along longer.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't imagine GMS has much stock in the industry anymore apart from those fans who'll stand by his side no matter what.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cam Banks seems to keep trying to be his friend, no matter how outright abusive Skarka gets with him.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Plague of Hats posted:

Cam Banks seems to keep trying to be his friend, no matter how outright abusive Skarka gets with him.

Which, Cam being a nice guy and all, continues to absolutely mystify me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Which, Cam being a nice guy and all, continues to absolutely mystify me.

Based on recent Twitter stuff, if Cam's still his friend he's got to be on his last nerve.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

Consider Robin Laws' Hillfolk instead.

I love a particular sidebar from Hillfolk, which sums up a necessary thing for the majority of fantasy games:

Robin Laws posted:

WE DIDN’T CALL IT “HILLMEN,” DID WE?

At this stage of the cultural creation process, nearly every group will dismiss all historical precedent to create a gender-egalitarian society for the main characters. Count on this to comprise the greatest point of divergence between your fanciful imagined history and the period from which we take our inspiration. Do not fight this, even if you feel purist rumblings stirring in your breast. We may not live in a completely equal society, but we want to imagine that we do in our escapist entertainment. Few women playing the game will want to face the vicarious oppression entailed in a realistic portrayal of ancient patriarchies. If we weren’t decontextualizing our history already, this is where we’d have to start.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

You see, apart from the racist and 'moral' trash, this sort of thing is totally my poo poo, but I'm not giving the dude money to mine it for the not-awful bits.

Play actual games about historic and mythic Europe, such as Ars Magica, not racist fantasies about a past that never was.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It can be legitimate to want to play a game about sexism, or in which sexism is a major theme, but that poo poo is so heavy that it should not be the default.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bongo Bill posted:

It can be legitimate to want to play a game about sexism, or in which sexism is a major theme, but that poo poo is so heavy that it should not be the default.

what do you mean by default?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

fosborb posted:

what do you mean by default?

The theme or subject matter best-supported by the rules.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I enjoy how L5R RPG does sexism. It acknowledges that in real world Japan, samurai women still had more rights then non samurai, but less than men, then States that in L5R there's no real sexism besides an expectation for kids, which obviously takes more time out of the women. It then added that if a player wants to play in a world that is more sexist in order to prove themselves, defy a sexist landscape and whatever, that can be pretty rad, and you can freely do it.

It explicitly calls out adding sexism in order to be able to play characters smashing it, not because you want to be able to Lord over women and be superior.

I only played one campaign and it was set in more sexist version of rokugan, where I played a ronin who was the sole survivor of a massacred family, but was offered up as a marriage to a wealthy Crane man instead of trained and given her lands. She ran away, leaving her families lands in Crane possession, and went out to prove herself, train, and eventually take her lands by force.

It was a lot of.fun, the character was rad as hell, and I was totally into it. Every time sexism came up my character briefly after would almost always end up showing off how badass she was, shutting people up.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
So Night Witches should be redesigned from the ground up because the exploration of sexism (and queerness) baked into its mechanics is not presented as optional?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

fosborb posted:

So Night Witches should be redesigned from the ground up because the exploration of sexism (and queerness) baked into its mechanics is not presented as optional?

I have no idea why you are arguing with me about this, or interpreting my posts as the opposite of their intention, which I thought would be perfectly obvious. Some games are further from the mainstream of tabletop gaming activities, which is presumed to be escapist fantasy. It's good that games with other modes exist. They are an option.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

fosborb posted:

There's also a difference because Night Witches is designed from the ground up for sexism to be shown as an antagonist with no reality that needs to be proven. This is different from a setting where sexism is baked in as something to weaken and punish women characters, or allow male characters to control/insult/punish/whatever power fantasy word over women.

Edit: There's two kinds of sexism in RPGs, there's Well Written Sexism where it's intended to be an obstacle to overcome and defeat, like any antagonist, and there's Bad Sexism where it's intended to let men have a power fantasy where they control women.

Edit2: And yes, no sexism is a good default for most games, because most people don't want to deal with real world issues they deal with every day in their escapist fun time games.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 22, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Blue Rose doesn't set out to deal with sexism, but the assumptions of romantic fantasy are so different from "mainstream" rpg worlds reactions to its themes can be dismissive, mocking, or even angry -- many of these reactions born out of sexism, such that presenting the game to a larger audience is in effect creating conversations about sexism, even inadvertently. (see just about any time the game is mentioned in this forum)

So even if the designers didn't set out to create a game about sexism, and even if people who regularly play it probably aren't thinking about it as dealing with sexism, sexism is still a part of the conversation around the game and, depending on what assumptions people bring to the table they very well might perceive it as dealing with sexism because why else is this setting so different from Conan, Tolkien, etc.

And which of these groups gets to determine the game is dealing with sexism by default?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fosborb posted:

Been a bit since I read that stuff but if I remember right the point is overcoming the sexism and bigotry of the world around you.

Basically like KittyEmpress said, there's the much more common 'lol -2 STR for women because biotruths right?' sexism that just serves to punish you for making a female character, or there's the kind where sexism is the 'bad guy' and the point of the game is that if you play a female character you're bucking stereotypes and showing people how wrong they are despite pushback from the outside. So basically you either remind people of how poo poo the world can be because ha gently caress em right, or you do it so people can have a power fantasy over being the badass lady/minority/whatever who breaks barriers. Most games do the first, and that's not cool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So basically you either remind people of how poo poo the world can be because ha gently caress em right, or you do it so people can have a power fantasy over being the badass lady/minority/whatever who breaks barriers. Most games do the first, and that's not cool.
What sucks is how often dudes doing the first like to pretend it's really the second. "The -4 strength is your struggle! Overcome your female weakness and show how badass you are despite being a girl!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dwarf74 posted:

What sucks is how often dudes doing the first like to pretend it's really the second. "The -4 strength is your struggle! Overcome your female weakness and show how badass you are despite being a girl!"

Yea basically the rule is 'if the thing you're overcoming is how stupid and lovely society is by proving how wrong they are, you're in the clear.' Making the thing you're 'overcoming' is 'no see because you literally are inferior to me, it's part of the laws of nature here' is dumb because what's she supposed to do then, show that hey sometimes a buff lady can be kinda the same as a dude.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Legends of the Wulin's way of handling it was interesting; there's a 'sexism in society' loresheet. Which explicitly noted: No woman in the wulin actually has to deal with this, because by having entered the wulin, they are outside society and are recognized as a warrior. If you're playing a woman and bought into the loresheet with XP, you -do- have to deal with it, and for some reason you aren't recognized for your warrior prowess. And that could be as far as it goes, you just have to put up with punching a lot of dudes in face for sneering at your kung fu because of your gender. Or you could go deeper, and have to put up with an arranged spouse from your family, and so on. Each bit of additional aggravation had separate buy-in.

(The ultimate secret of the lore was the ability to earn extra XP for playing a comic relief hostage-bait character- but you had to bank half of it in a secret pool. Eventually, at a suitably dramatic event in the narrative you'd get to spend all your banked XP at once, on screen, unlocking stuff you'd normally have to train for, and bust out advanced kung fu and kick all the rear end forever)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I love a particular sidebar from Hillfolk, which sums up a necessary thing for the majority of fantasy games:

I'm starting to think that Pelgrane Press is just great at this in general:

The Gaean Reach Roleplaying Game posted:

You Are Probably Either a Man or a Woman

As advanced persons of the far future, we acknowledge the equality of men and women, even at the gaming table. Where cruel syntactical exigencies force us to refer to a single hypothetical player, we use the male gender. When we refer to a hypothetical Game Moderator, we use “she” and its associated pronouns. This policy adds clarity to certain pronoun-stuffed sentences. Any overarching generalization about the maleness of players or femaleness of GMs we staunchly disavow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
TG is the only industry where you can associate with a neo-Nazi convicted murderer and still have a career. Varg was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the same amount as Anders Breivig, and Varg's mother and the neo-Nazis he was associated with had an actual plot to break him out of prison. He hasn't changed much either if the news stories in the last couple of years are true too.

EDIT:

Their plan to break him out of prison included a terrorist attack on the prison where they blew a hole in the perimeter with dynamite. It wasn't exactly a file in a cake scheme.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 23, 2015

• Locked thread