Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

2801 with he is way more fun now that it was before the heat nerf because you don't feel like a cheating piece of poo poo when you play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DonkeyHotay posted:

2801 with he is way more fun now that it was before the heat nerf because you don't feel like a cheating piece of poo poo when you play it.

So wait, you hit the track and killed all his crew? Good bug Wargaming.

Brb gonna go load HE in the MT-25's comedy machine gun.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

It penned and tracked him for some reason. (wtf)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

DonkeyHotay posted:

It penned and tracked him for some reason. (wtf)

HE is literally magic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SoUncool posted:

Anyone noticed that games lately have been hugely one-sided? It seems like every game is either a landslide win or a landslide loss. What's the point of a 15min match if they all end in 4min? I miss close matches.

The average length of a WoT match is 5 minutes. The vast majority of games have always ended quickly (or became unwinnable) since most people that play this game are really bad at it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Login status report for NA dudes - It's been 15 days. There will be 61 days total, and you need 60 to get the 3250 gold SU-100Y.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The average length of a WoT match is 5 minutes. The vast majority of games have always ended quickly (or became unwinnable) since most people that play this game are really bad at it.

Sadly it seems like Warships is going to go the same way. Had a game yesterday where the enemy had three tier 5 battleships in a tier 5 game just sit behind the westernmost of the three objectives without trying to take it away from us, or try to kill the boats near it. They just sat and hid while we won by cap. Took longer, but the game was over four minutes before it actually ended.

Fortunately I'm bad at boats so I don't care!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

It takes a long while to get your 3x win on all your premiums when you are an rear end in a top hat and have all the premiums.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Login status report for NA dudes - It's been 15 days. There will be 61 days total, and you need 60 to get the 3250 gold SU-100Y.

I already hosed up and missed a day. No leeway from here... :saddowns:

Or is it grantway?

shoot me

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm retarded so I put WOT to autostart so I don't forget. I'm sure this won't drive me crazy over the next month and a half.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Missing Name posted:

I already hosed up and missed a day. No leeway from here... :saddowns:

Or is it grantway?

shoot me

There are 63 days, actually. Fear not.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

So a Borsig who camped at the back, spent half the match clicking on the map instead of red tanks, decided that the arty that were doing a decent job were not doing anything so TK's all three of them, getting banned in the process. The only three shots he made were against out own team.

:downsbravo:

thats philosophical consistency from all the people who say 'gently caress arty'

a good player

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Kuntz posted:

I haven't played since before 9.6 came out, have pubbies gotten personal missions out of their systems yet?

Kinda...it's calmed down quite a bit. All the other problems remain, however, so don't get your hopes up.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
just started playing the game and im enjoying it more then I thought. the game put me off a while ago when I thought it was just snipers in tanks but playing a light tank and tearing through a urban map is very fun.

can someone run down what the best light tanks are? right now im happily using the t1german light tank with three crew members with some good results. I got the ace badge on it and I've only been playing a few days.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

rebought my covenanter after watching this and got a mastery badge in the first game. forgot how fun a tank it can be, especially compared to the next tank in the line. What sound mod do you use? It's the first sound mod I've heard that i like.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

zooted heh posted:

just started playing the game and im enjoying it more then I thought. the game put me off a while ago when I thought it was just snipers in tanks but playing a light tank and tearing through a urban map is very fun.

can someone run down what the best light tanks are? right now im happily using the t1german light tank with three crew members with some good results. I got the ace badge on it and I've only been playing a few days.

The German Pz I Ausf. C is probably the most fun tank when it comes to driving at hilariously high speeds and shooting poo poo. It goes up to 79 kph on flat ground, handles very well, and runs a hilarious machinegun with a 40 round belt that reloads very quickly. I also had a lot of fun in the French AMX 13 90, but that's a fairly advanced tank and definitely not for everyone, and it's also fairly high up the tech tree behind some really, really bad tanks. The new American light tanks seem to be good, but I haven't played any of the myself.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

kemikalkadet posted:

rebought my covenanter after watching this and got a mastery badge in the first game. forgot how fun a tank it can be, especially compared to the next tank in the line. What sound mod do you use? It's the first sound mod I've heard that i like.

Gnomefather's gun and engine sound packs

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zooted heh posted:

I guess we should warn you that light tank play is very different once you get to the higher tiers. You can still haul rear end even through urban maps and get great results... sometimes. But you'll more often find yourself turning a corner and finding yourself face to face with a gun that can one or two shot you. And unless you can get to their sides or back before they do so, you often can't even damage them. In many games, it's for the best that you don't even try to damage them and spot for your teammates instead. It's not like on the lower tiers.

That said, it can still be immensely fun. I love my T71. If there's ever a tank to show that you don't have to be helpless in a high tier light tank game, it's this one. Just earlier today I had top damage in a tier VIII game, four kills and a nice wad of XP. If you want to see an example of what it's capable of, Refried Noodle posted a really impressive replay on the last page. Supposedly the M41 Bulldog's even better, but I haven't played it yet.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I recommend the Aufklaerungs Panther

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Tanks are most vunerable on their soft underbellies also I suck at making gifs apparently

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

zooted heh posted:

The german Pz 1C and Luchs tanks drive fast, handle well and have solid machine guns that can shoot vunrable targets very quickly. The tanks after that is a bit lacklustre, so you can try them and see if you like them. Otherwise, you can try the US light line (the one with the T37 and the M41 Bulldog), those are solid tanks all the way from tier 6 to 10.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm starting to kinda have fun in the Awful Panther, what is going on. As a scout tank its objectively pretty terrible, its huge, has large flat sides and limited camo. As a harassing light tank though, its pretty good. I just wish I had 6th sense on it, but its a been a good opportunity to be more cautious.
Also, it can ram stuff and sometimes win.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Tier 5-7 American light tanks - Chaffee, T21, T37, M41, T71 - are all excellent, excellent tanks. But to play light tanks properly in these tiers you will most likely require at least a pair of binoculars for equipment (can be transferred between tanks for free, so one is enough if you can micromanage) and good map knowledge.

For lower tier shenanigans people have mentioned the 1C and the Luchs (which does see tier 7s, but its gun has good penetration), but there's also the Japanese Ke-Ho (miniature model T-34 basically, good gun, very small size, doesn't go superfast) and the Chinese M5A1 Stuart scout tank. At tiers 4 and 5 there's the British Covenanter and Crusader tanks, which are light tank with normal matchmaking. Fun tanks + really good.

Speaking of fun, here's what's both fun and not fun at the same time: Took me over 220 battles to finish MT-15 for T28 prototype. So close so many times, but at least 150+ of those games were games where the conditions (kill 3 TDs) were near impossible to fulfill, either because there weren't enough TDs (I've never had as many games chock full of other mediums), or there were exactly 3 and 4 and of course they charged forward and died immediately on the other flank.

The worst kind of mission behind "sabotage your own team to get this!" kind for light tanks.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Also a good idea: judge your light tanks on their ability to do sick power slides.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

R. Mute posted:

Also a good idea: judge your light tanks on their ability to do sick power slides.

MT-25 wins this as well.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
WoT client seems to crash when I actually do well in a match. The "not destroyed" database entry must be so shocking to it that the entire thing shits the bed. Figures the only time I really want to look at a detailed stat sheet.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

goddamit I kinda like the Crusader but getting wins in it don't happen much - and I keep getting 1 shotted by anything with a derp. Only like 4000ish more exp to the Cromwell at least.
Weird thing happened, got hit with HE and killed all my crew putting me out of the game while my tank still has HP, didn't know that was possible. Observe- http://oi59.tinypic.com/2n8vrit.jpg

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Fat Jesus posted:

goddamit I kinda like the Crusader but getting wins in it don't happen much - and I keep getting 1 shotted by anything with a derp. Only like 4000ish more exp to the Cromwell at least.
Weird thing happened, got hit with HE and killed all my crew putting me out of the game while my tank still has HP, didn't know that was possible. Observe- http://oi59.tinypic.com/2n8vrit.jpg

Indeed! Now imagine how often that happens in a PZ 1 C (two crew members).

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

subhelios posted:

Indeed! Now imagine how often that happens in a PZ 1 C (two crew members).

I've played one, and a lot of other light tanks with no armor and had them blasted to poo poo by KV2's etc but this is the first time I can remember being dead and having HP.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

srb posted:

Tier 5-7 American light tanks - Chaffee, T21, T37, M41, T71 - are all excellent, excellent tanks. But to play light tanks properly in these tiers you will most likely require at least a pair of binoculars for equipment (can be transferred between tanks for free, so one is enough if you can micromanage) and good map knowledge.

For lower tier shenanigans people have mentioned the 1C and the Luchs (which does see tier 7s, but its gun has good penetration), but there's also the Japanese Ke-Ho (miniature model T-34 basically, good gun, very small size, doesn't go superfast) and the Chinese M5A1 Stuart scout tank. At tiers 4 and 5 there's the British Covenanter and Crusader tanks, which are light tank with normal matchmaking. Fun tanks + really good.

Speaking of fun, here's what's both fun and not fun at the same time: Took me over 220 battles to finish MT-15 for T28 prototype. So close so many times, but at least 150+ of those games were games where the conditions (kill 3 TDs) were near impossible to fulfill, either because there weren't enough TDs (I've never had as many games chock full of other mediums), or there were exactly 3 and 4 and of course they charged forward and died immediately on the other flank.

The worst kind of mission behind "sabotage your own team to get this!" kind for light tanks.
I did MT-15 for the T28 in the M4, which was really easy once I got a game with lots of TDs. I just ran around hosing nerds with the derp gun.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Fat Jesus posted:

I've played one, and a lot of other light tanks with no armor and had them blasted to poo poo by KV2's etc but this is the first time I can remember being dead and having HP.

The autocannons a lot of other light tanks have at that tier tend to kill my crew a lot.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Fat Jesus posted:

Impressive, I've only had this happen twice, both in my Hotchkiss where there are only two crew members.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Where I finally, after a night of lovely games, manage to get my triple on the AMX 50 100

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Missing Name posted:

MT-25 wins this as well.

technically the ELC AMX wins this category if power slide also includes "gets flung to the loving moon if you hit just th slightest bump in the road"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
New personal best! Dead exactly 37 seconds from the start on Swamp in my 14-2. Thanks for all going west, team.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I'm so happy that I finally got HT-12 for the T28 done yesterday. I had come really close to getting it about a dozen times in my KV-5, and finally got the perfect storm on a tier 8 Redshire match with no artillery. I started south, went to the 9-0 line, and let pubbies shoot my mantlet while I focused down the guys that had a chance to pen me and spread my damage over the ones who couldn't. I ended up blocking ~4000 and I needed 3560. I did >2k damage and only needed 1500. I think it would have been good enough for HT-12 for the T-55A (same blocked damage requirement, but need 2k damage in a tier 6 or higher IIRC).

Now all I have left is HT-15, then I get the T28 and can start on T-55A missions. Object 260 here I come. :getin:

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.

I wish I could play an amx 50 100 like this, but I'm an impatient gently caress up who keeps exploding before the end game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fat Jesus posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's currently a bug with HE ammo, where if they hit tracks or spaced armor they can glitch out and kill the whole crew.

Space cash posted:

Tanks are most vunerable on their soft underbellies also I suck at making gifs apparently

The gif's good enough, and that is a beautiful kill. :allears:

Related:

Maimgara posted:

The german Pz 1C and Luchs tanks drive fast, handle well and have solid machine guns that can shoot vunrable targets very quickly.
We've been having quite a few new people joining the thread, so I'm gonna take the liberty of reposting these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtrwfY2pSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TamERVB59Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5zW9ihXf-4

A caveat for new people though: The Pz I C is a very polarized tank, in that it will absolutely shred the poo poo out of things on its own tier, but will be completely impotent against many things above that because of it's low pen. But get one anyway, because at its best it's ridiculous fun.
As for the Luchs, it has scout matchmaking that means it will see tanks up to three tiers above it, instead of the normal two tiers. And overall, light tanks take a lot of finesse to do well in, so be prepared for a steep learning curve if you decide to go up a light tank branch as your first thing.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Missing Name posted:

MT-25 wins this as well.
Haven't played it, but it's like I can't not power slide in my T71.

Fat Jesus posted:

I think it happens when tanks drown as well. I saw a TD hit an arty who had flung itself into the ocean to drown and it still showed him doing damage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SARSfest posted:

I wish I could play an amx 50 100 like this, but I'm an impatient gently caress up who keeps exploding before the end game.

Yeah, I have the same problem with my 50b. I hate hanging back but that's really what you need to do in those tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I have the same problem with my 50b. I hate hanging back but that's really what you need to do in those tanks.

Thats what you need to do in all tanks.