Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is Steel Empire just a steampunk rail shooter? And what's the best SNES Castlevania?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dementium is getting a 3DS port (and it won't be episodic like Moon).
Oh poo poo, I'm down for that. Both games?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Is Steel Empire just a steampunk rail shooter? And what's the best SNES Castlevania?

Castlevania 4. Dracula X sucks and is not the true Rondo experience.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Steel Empire his a horizontal scrolling shooter and a remake of an old Megadrive game.

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm down for that. Both games?

They've only announced the first one so far.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Steel Empire his a horizontal scrolling shooter and a remake of an old Megadrive game.

They've only announced the first one so far.
I got curious and checked Wikipedia, the article for the first game mentions their intention to port/re-release both, and then make a third one. I'm pretty okay with this news!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

No they added a 1 player mode where you control two Links. It sucks and is nothing like FSA which is actually good.

If by some weird chance Four Swords is made available via Club Nintendo (it won't be) don't get it unless there's literally nothing else you haven't played. It is not a good game.

Yeah, this. It's only worth playing if you have four people to play with, and then only really if you have absolutely nothing else to play with those four people.
My kids like it, but that's because they're 4 and 6 and it's a really easy game.

noirstronaut posted:

Should I get Outrun 3D? I don't really play racing games that much, but would I enjoy it?

It's hard to say, liking racing games doesn't have a whole lot to do with liking Outrun, as weird as that sounds.
If you like Outrun games you'll probably like it, although after having DORIFTO as such a key element in Outrun 2SP it's a little tough to go back to a game from a pre-drift era.

Zat posted:

Agreed, also the music is great and legendary. At least the original three Out Run songs are (there are also 2 new songs which aren't bad).

The extra songs don't matter, if you're not blasting Splash Wave all day erryday then you need to re-evaluate your life.

Tender Bender posted:

Four Swords Adventures is really Good and it sucks that I'll never be able to replay it with four people because how the hell will I get three other people with gba's and link cables together to play through it? I don't even know where mine are. I'm sure you can emulate it but the logistics of that would seem to be an even bigger pain.

Can you use fat / lite DSes as GBAs for those purposes? I never thought of trying back when I knew where my link cable was.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 22, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Can you use fat / lite DSes as GBAs for those purposes? I never thought of trying back when I knew where my link cable was.
No, DSes didn't have link cable ports because Nintendo had discovered wireless by then

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

And for those wondering why, it's because it's about Japanese culture.

Hey, I'm always up for quizzes on California culture.

:3:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zaa Boogie posted:

Hey, I'm always up for quizzes on California culture.

:3:

Eat your hamburgers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Oh, another thing about MicroSD cards: Rating might not matter as much as you think.

Right now, my 3DS (old 3DS, so New 3DS might be a bit different) is riding a 32 GB class 2 Transcend MicroSD card in an SD adapter. Its actual stats are around 10 MiB/sec read, 5 MiB/sec write and 200-someodd IOPS* (which is probably a USB limit). It hitched ... like once in the past few months, during a write, and even that time it still saved properly? Also the repair utility in the eShop only reads about 7~8 MiB/sec anyway, so between the wi-fi being what it is and all that, low card bandwidth is probably not an issue. Still, someone with a New 3DS should check to make sure.

*Input/Output (actions) Per Second. This is the reason why, say, your SSD sucks a whole hell of a lot less than a platter hard drive for running operating systems/MMOs/rear end in a top hat simulators.
Given that the same logic applies to any flash card that isn't just used for direct-write from a camera, IOPS should probably be taken more seriously than it is.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 22, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

It's my favorite Sega Genesis title. Yeah it's a shmup, but it's a really well done one that holds up pretty well. Fun and varied enemies, two different player ship styles with their own method of play,really varied levels as you progress, fun and challenging boss battles, and one of my favorite soundtracks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Edit: this isn't the monhun thread!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 22, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's finally happened. We have street cred. http://genius.com/4917729

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

*crip walks out of thread*

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

There was a Nintendo DS on the cover of Lupe Fiasco's first album.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

neither of those rappers have any street cred to speak of

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Serious question here, why did nobody ever tell me about Project X Zone? I loved loved loved the combat in SRT:OG Endless Saga but the game was too embarrassing to finish and the out of combat game play was way too boring.

Any of y'all nerds play it or have anything to say about it?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Philip Rivers posted:

Serious question here, why did nobody ever tell me about Project X Zone? I loved loved loved the combat in SRT:OG Endless Saga but the game was too embarrassing to finish and the out of combat game play was way too boring.

I enjoyed PXZ. The combat does get samey and some of the maps go on longer than they should, but smart use of resources, especially MAP Attacks (whatever they're called in that game) and intelligent pairing of the pair units with good complementary solo units goes a long way to help with that.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Philip Rivers posted:

Here's the image that always gets posted or referenced every time Project X Zone is brought up.

Most don't have good things to say about it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's a really bad game

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That picture is cluttered but a lot of those enemies are junk that will die in 1 MAP Attack or 2 at most, so if you have smart setups with the units that build Cross Gauge the best (aka the two pair units that use guns a lot), then you can make a lot of that go away pretty fast while also dealing considerable damage to the non-trash enemies there.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
My Pikmin have been stuck on this single little piece for over two hours. Help.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

epitasis posted:

neither of those rappers have any street cred to speak of

Big Sean has no street cred? I'll agree with Lupe, but Big Sean having no street cred is objectively incorrect.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

3D Out Run is so awesome. Exactly the kind of excessive 3D usage I bought the system for. The backgrounds are really gorgeous too. I don't know how a racing game can be so relaxing but zooming around in a convertible next to your presumed girlfriend is pretty drat chill.

On an unrelated note I finally Smash Bro'd my circle pad off. :lol: I super glued it back on, seems ok. :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Philip Rivers posted:

I think there's still a demo of it on the eshop. I never got through the demo because it was so boring. General consensus is the game is poo poo.
So I guess try the demo and if you still want it, wait a couple weeks until it goes on sale for $15 on the eshop again.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Philip Rivers posted:

It has it's moments but as the pic there shows it becomes a HELL of a slog. Though it is nice to see megaman in a game again... like we won't ever any other way :smithicide:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Big Sean has no street cred? I'll agree with Lupe, but Big Sean having no street cred is objectively incorrect.

big sean is the king of cornrap get outta here lol

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

epitasis posted:

big sean is the king of cornrap get outta here lol

So is [literally any popular rapper here]

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I got to pick up Fossil Fighters: Frontiers for cheap. Not a bad little game all told, it scratches a monster collection itch and there's a lot of reward for going off the beaten track and figuring out how to get around unmarked stuff on your map to get to inaccessible fossils which is neat.

Battles are pretty basic, and you always have two AI teammates, but the AI itself is pretty competent and battles have some pretty deep complexity as you go through the story. Its pretty easy if you just rush through crit path (or if you download some of the AR monsters they have on the website, those things are absurd for when you get them in game). Script is nothing special, but it is incredibly goofy and self aware if you love/hate games that poke fun at themselves.

In terms of actual monster designs, there's a few basic models with changed coloring and usually a few new details and only about 70ish monsters in the game. Most of them are relatively balanced and usable.

The fossil digging minigame is kinda fun, but you have to do it a loving lot. At least four times per dinosaur you want to use (each 'part' gives it one of its moves) and then 1-4 more times for rare fossils that have alternative movesets that can be encountered in singular pieces or giant whole skeletons. If you don't want a dinosaur you don't have to do it, and once you've dug it up you can force your lackeys to instantly dig any replicas to sell for cash. But it is a lot of careful chipping at the bottom screen. And yelling gently caress when you accidently smash part of the fossil and your score gets capped.

Also you can dig up T-Rex Sue in America like god intended.

7.5/10, decent if you can get it on discount and will probably scratch a monster collecting/battling itch. Nothing genre defining positively or negatively.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main problem with Project X Zone is that it has no sense of pacing. You get your entire party about 20 missions before the end, missions are very long even if you're one-shotting enemies, and basically there's no motivation because you are beating up the same bad guys for 20 missions in a row because they blew their load early.

It's basically a 13 episode show stretched to 50, not talking about the combat which is braindead easy.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I played both the Project X Zone demos and that was one demo too many.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the first barely-a-trailer for DBZ Extreme Butoden, developed by Arc System Works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eH-0yOA834

They've announced a bunch of pre-order bonuses, too, including a downloadable version of Butoden 2 SFC. (No, it doesn't have any bearing on Virtual Console).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I played abit more Codename STEAM, enough to get past Chapter 4 and the first map of Chapter 5. I didn't like Tom Sawyer on his intro map, but then I finished the chapter and got the boiler that lets him regenerate 12 Steam each turn and now he feels far more valuable than before. I don't know what subweapon to give him, though. I tried the gatling gun with him and it seemed alright but not particularly special with him.

On the map I'm on now, the new unit is Queequeg and so far I think his weapon and his once a map special attack are both poo poo. I can't imagine using him over John Henry once this map is through.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Here's the first barely-a-trailer for DBZ Extreme Butoden, developed by Arc System Works:

They've announced a bunch of pre-order bonuses, too, including a downloadable version of Butoden 2 SFC. (No, it doesn't have any bearing on Virtual Console).

What are the chances of an NA localization for this?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Man, that takes me back. I remember when I was in middle school and one of my friends had an import copy of Butoden 2 like barely a month after it came out, and we would play the living poo poo out of it because we were huge into DBZ back then because, you know, we were 13. We even managed to modify his SNES so it could use Super Famicom cartridges (which really only required removing some plastic pegs from the cartridge slot) Mind was blown when we found out about the Goku/Brolly code, though I pretty much mostly used Vegeta. Didn't even think there was a market for that kind of fighting game anymore, I might have to grab it if it ever comes to NA, because Nintendo = nostalgia.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Variable_H posted:

That Xenoverse game is selling really well so you'd have to think the chances are pretty good.

Then again, I said that about the last One Piece 3DS game and that's still nowhere to be seen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Variable_H posted:

Pre-Xenoverse I would say pretty low...but after that game hung out on the top of the Steam sales charts for a few days and overloaded servers on all 3 networks...yeah, we may actually get this one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

Pre-Xenoverse I would say pretty low...but after that game hung out on the top of the Steam sales charts for a few days and overloaded servers on all 3 networks...yeah, we may actually get this one.

Which is funny since apparently by most accounts it's lobe of the worst DBZ games of the last decade and is mostly a grindy MMOG.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Which is funny since apparently by most accounts it's lobe of the worst DBZ games of the last decade and is mostly a grindy MMOG.

What accounts have you been reading? The game isn't an MMO at all, and I've seen positive reviews across the board, as well as a really active thread here on SA.

Xenoverse might be the best DBZ game pretty much ever. The roster is missing a handful of characters that seem like no brainers for inclusion, and the RNG can be a fickle bitch at times, but over all it's rock solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

jivjov posted:

What accounts have you been reading? The game isn't an MMO at all, and I've seen positive reviews across the board, as well as a really active thread here on SA.

Xenoverse might be the best DBZ game pretty much ever. The roster is missing a handful of characters that seem like no brainers for inclusion, and the RNG can be a fickle bitch at times, but over all it's rock solid.

This person is saying the things of which I agree to.

I don't know a single person who outright hated the game. I've had people who didn't even know Dragonball existed play Xenoverse and love it.

Also I don't think there's many post-DBZ games that were Japan-only, were there?