Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there not a Burning Wheel thread?

I got a copy as a gift and it looks amazing, but I have questions.

There was a fair amount of BW talk in the indie rpg thread, but that's locked for archiving now. I'd love a thread for BW/MG/Torchbearer, but I doubt it could keep from falling into archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
There's no way to know except to make a thread! :justpost:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I would certainly post in such a thing, but I'd feel weird starting a thread with "Wait so can we go over how orc magic works again? How am I supposed to integrate orcs in a party anyway?"

P.S. This book is really, really pretty. Plus I like most of the writing, although it looks like it's not super stream-lined as a reference.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mouse Guard is getting a new edition/reprint soon so a BW/Torchbearer/MG thread would be nice. I'd post it but I have very little interest in the system outside of MG, but I can throw together an OP for someone else to post if you want; it's not very hard.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I know MG and Torchbearer okay, so if it's a mixed thread and people don't mind me being clueless about BW I'm down.

Also it's pretty weird to go at these games in backwards order.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, all you need to do is put together an OP that's just a blurb about BWG (with maybe a little about previous editions), a blurb about Mouse Guard with whatever the latest news about the new edition is, and a blurb about Torchbearer, with a nice banner per title.

Here you go, here are your three banners:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I mean, all you need to do is put together an OP that's just a blurb about BWG (with maybe a little about previous editions), a blurb about Mouse Guard with whatever the latest news about the new edition is, and a blurb about Torchbearer, with a nice banner per title.

I feel really really dumb right now for never before noticing how Apoc World took the BW logo to use as the Harm clock.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think that was more coincidence than intentional.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

I feel really really dumb right now for never before noticing how Apoc World took the BW logo to use as the Harm clock.

uh

It didn't, it's pretty clearly a circle with lines corresponding to the hours of harm

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

uh

It didn't, it's pretty clearly a circle with lines corresponding to the hours of harm

Indeed

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Well, there is the fact that the segments are all the same size because the harm clock groups hours together. It might not be an homage (I don't see why it couldn't, though), but it's clearly the same shape.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Loki_XLII posted:

Well, there is the fact that the segments are all the same size because the harm clock groups hours together. It might not be an homage (I don't see why it couldn't, though), but it's clearly the same shape.

For one thing, the harm clock has six sections, not five...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Isn't the harm clock mean to be a call back to the Doomsday clock?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Effectronica posted:

For one thing, the harm clock has six sections, not five...

You know what, you're right. My bad.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

Not quite. It was written because Ernie Gygax and Rob Kuntz were complaining that everything in Greyhawk was too easy so Gygax decided to write the hardest fair dungeon he possibly could to prove them wrong. They cleaned it out on the first attempt because they knew what Gygax was like and how he thought (and there's a basic algorithm that will get you through all the traps). Gygax then introduced it to the rest of the world as a tournament module - and the rest of the world wasn't used to Gygax' more tortuous inventions.
Rob Kuntz was not only the first person to ever beat the tomb of horrors, he beat the temple of elemental evil by himself as a fighter. I find that to be insane.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yep! It's even explained in the back of the book. The Doomsday Clock doesn't have any notation until the last quarter, which is why the Countdown Clock has three separate segments in the last quarter of it. The fact that it works so well as a visual pacing mechanism and as a metaphor makes it one of my favorite mechanics in RPGs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I would certainly post in such a thing, but I'd feel weird starting a thread with "Wait so can we go over how orc magic works again? How am I supposed to integrate orcs in a party anyway?"

P.S. This book is really, really pretty. Plus I like most of the writing, although it looks like it's not super stream-lined as a reference.

I'll post in such a thread.

To answer your question, integrating orcs into a party with like a human and an elf is going to be rough. I mean, these aren't just green-skinned buff humans we're talking about. Having a party with a couple of orcs and a great wolf (from the monster burner) and one rear end in a top hat of a human would work great, though. A party like that could bring misery to an entire nation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks!

I'll try to make a thread when I get to my office tomorrow.

And I was semi-joking about integrating orcs. He acknowledges it's hard/weird but also says to "knock the Tolkein out of your head" and monkey with the fluff. I'd actually be more worried about an all orc party because that seems like it either is gonna become the stereotypical Eeeeevvviiilllll :stonk: campaign or just turn into Kobolds Ate My Baby.

But I still have no clue what "tax" is vis a vis orc magic except that Void Embrace mitigates it. Whatever it is.

Also comparing elves in Burning Wheel and Torchbearer is hilarious ; it's a perfect case study in gimping the hell out of something to make it fit the theme of a game. That or an elf hosed with Luke Crane somewhere in the interim.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Just sort of curious but is there any good Earthbound-esque settings?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr Tastee posted:

Just sort of curious but is there any good Earthbound-esque settings?
Infinitely Flexible
Players can role play exactly the characters and stories they want to play. Any genre, any character type, anything players can imagine.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O holy gently caress the combat rules are SO much more complicated than MG/Torchbearer.

I honestly don't know if I'm smart enough to run a fight in this system jesus.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Xiahou Dun posted:

But I still have no clue what "tax" is vis a vis orc magic except that Void Embrace mitigates it. Whatever it is.

Tax is a temporary penalty to a stat. Burning Wheel sorcery is in non-Vancian, with unlimited spells per day, but casting a spell forces you to test your Forte against the obstacle of the spell, and temporarily reduces ("taxes") your Forte by the margin of failure. If you go into negative Forte, you take damage instead - a lot of damage. Orc sorcerers with Void Embrace turns their Hatred - their stock's emotional attribute, like Elven Grief or Dwarven Greed - into a source of magic, and allows them to test their Void Embrace against tax instead of Forte. In short, orc sorcery doesn't require the orc to be physically tough to cast a lot spells: they just have to annihilate their sense of self and let the winds of darkness, madness, and destruction howl their hollowed-out souls so they can blot out the sun or tear gaping wounds in the earth.

Xiahou Dun posted:

O holy gently caress the combat rules are SO much more complicated than MG/Torchbearer.

I honestly don't know if I'm smart enough to run a fight in this system jesus.

The thing to keep in mind about Fight is that most of what's in that chapter is optional and will never be used in any given game. You can get along perfectly well just using Strike, Charge, Block, and Feint. Maneuvers like Beat or stances are there for people who want to engage in system mastery, which BW does encourage but doesn't require. It's a good idea for a new Burning Wheel GM to set up a practice Fight with some of the NPCs at the back of the book to get a handle on how things work - getting your head around Engagement and Vie for Position will make the rest of it click.

That said, the advice the book gives early on about not using everything to start is good advice. Start your game off with the hub and spokes only, and introduce the 'rim' rules in bite-sized portions at a pace your group can digest.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks!

I'll try to make a thread when I get to my office tomorrow.

I made one quite a while ago but it's long since hit archives. If you can find it feel free to scavenge the OP.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Been reading A Red and Pleasant Land for LotFP, and I really enjoy the setting (basically an Alice-in-Wonderland-style fantasy world ruled by bizarre vampires ala-Legacy of Kain).

It tears me up because I know that Zak S is an enormous douchebag, but I really like the elements of the setting and the artwork (I'd like to see more modern, abstract, and Expressionist-style art in RPGs in general). I want to run a game in PbP (or any LotFP game), but I'm not sure I'd even find anybody willing to play (Even talk about LotFP is outright banned in the retroclone games forum).

Frustrating! Pretty sure this book will just end up in the category of "Games I like but will never run/play."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
scavenge the elements you like, i guess?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
From what i've seen in FATAL & Friends, there are a lot of legitimately great modules for LotFP if you don't dig too deep into the mechanics or the uglier details. Better Than Any Man is a standout. Death Frost Doom, not so much.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Anyone play any of the goofy spinoffs of Burning Wheel/Torchbearer? Like Burning Jihad or Colonial Marines? I can't find Under a Serpent Sun anymore, which is probably for the best; that one gave me nightmares, not that that's a hard thing to do.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I thought that game wasn't Zak S

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kellsterik posted:

From what i've seen in FATAL & Friends, there are a lot of legitimately great modules for LotFP if you don't dig too deep into the mechanics or the uglier details. Better Than Any Man is a standout. Death Frost Doom, not so much.

Qelong is fantastic, but that's because it's by Ken Hite.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I thought that game wasn't Zak S

The base system is by Raggi whatshisface, another similarly upstanding member of the rpg developer community

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rockopolis posted:

Anyone play any of the goofy spinoffs of Burning Wheel/Torchbearer? Like Burning Jihad or Colonial Marines? I can't find Under a Serpent Sun anymore, which is probably for the best; that one gave me nightmares, not that that's a hard thing to do.

I've always wanted to check those out, but I've never been able to find the PDFs anywhere.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
To revisit the discussion about RPG card games a while back:

There were two RPG collectable card games that came out in '96. You likely haven't heard of them because they were as commercially successful as you would expect. However, they were interesting experiments.

I will be describing both games mostly from memory, so expect errors.

Dragon Storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Storm_(game)

Wikipedia posted:

Dragon Storm is a role-playing game about shape shifters: human werewolves, dwarven gargoyles, human dragons and elven unicorns.

As a reminder these were the halycon days of the 90s where a "furry" was an alien concept to most gamers.

Wikipedia posted:

These characters live in an area known as the Stormlands. They use supernatural powers to battle powerful enemies, and to save the world from Dragon Storms. Most Stormlanders live like peasants of the European Middle Ages. They are ruled by nobles, who spend their time fighting for control of Stormland city-states. These struggles mean little to most people, who live in isolated villages scattered throughout the land. Magic is more important to stormlanders. They respect Od, the force of pure magic, used by wizards, witches and shamans to heal and protect. They fear Warp, corrupt magic used by necromancers to debase and destroy. Warp can blight a land, poisoning water and tainting the soil. It twists living things into warpspawn and plague beasts, insane monsters who kill for pleasure.

Stormlanders are superstitious, tough and resigned to their fate. They take consolation in the worship of Elethay, goddess of the earth.

Few peasants dare hope for better times ahead. Only the elders talk about Valarian Champions, legendary heroes who will save the people from the storms. The stormlands got its name from dragon storms, tempests of wild magic that ruin crops, level homes, and cause the tox, a horrible disease which twists body and soul. It is little wonder that Stormlanders who suffer misfortune are called storm-struck. When caught in the open by a dragon storm, young adults sometimes transform into shape shifters. Elves become unicorns, dwarves become gargoyles and a human might turn into a werewolf or a dragon. After the storm passes, these shape shifters return to their mortal form, and are able to control their ability to change shape. No one understands why some people change, but it is a fearful thing. Shape shifters are magical beings with strange and disturbing powers: Gargoyles can reach through solid stone, unicorns can heal with a touch of their horns, werewolves fight with terrifying fury and dragons can breathe fire. These abilities unsettle most Stormlanders, but they are even more frightened of necromancers, evil wizards who hunt shape shifters. Necromancers can drain shape shifters of their natural magics, using the power to fuel toxic spells. Feared by their families and hunted by necromancers, these young shape shifters usually flee their homes before anyone discovers what they have become.

In Dragon Storm players role-play a shape shifter or an orc. Their opponents are necromancers, warpspawn and adventurers; their allies are Elethay worshippers and Prismatic Wizards, who oppose necromancers and all their works. Long-lasting characters may acquire a mentor. These veteran spell casters and warriors are dedicated to the destruction of necromancers and Warp.

Characters befriended by mentors can become Valarians Champions, and join the fight against the evil poisoning the world.

According to one of the only working links I can find left for Dragon Storm (below), it appears the world was written by Tim Kennard and Susan Van Camp.

https://squareup.com/market/the-guild-for-ds

I managed to find a dusty deck and a couple of boosters in a local game store and I roped a buddy of mine into playing a couple games.

Some of the shortcomings of a CCG RPG were immediately obvious. The range of equipment available to a character was determined only by what equipment cards you were lucky enough to find in your deck. The equipment available was a dagger (very basic +1 to attack or something weapon), a helmet and shield (decent defensive gear) and some ungodly magical enchanted sword which so happened to be a rare in the deck. The magic sword rarely saw play since it's initial cost was much greater than a player's starting funds and it would have trivialized most of the encounters. As a result, the player wielding a dagger was quickly out classed by medium tier enemies unless he shapeshifted and activated beast form.

I think you made a map of 3x3 cards by placing random terrain face down. Several antagonists of varying strength (like taking a Monstrous Manual, shuffling it and drawing 10 or so random enemies) were included in the deck. I think the instruction book that came with the primary deck suggested you used enemy and trap cards as suggestions to weave a narrative around.

The human/dragon shapeshifter player card was decently balanced and had some interesting abilities. I think I pulled an elf/unicorn player card too. I was hoping for a dwarf/gargoyle.

Arcadia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_(card_game)

This was actually a decent example of a CCG RPG. I could see someone making a successful mobile game out of this as well.

Arcadia was produced by White Wolf and based in the World of Darkness and Changeling the Dreaming but it was a very different animal than its progenitors.

Changeling the Dreaming revolves around a player having one foot in two worlds; the normal every day, and the faerie land "Dreaming" that overlaps the mundane world like wallpaper. Arcadia is based purely in some fantasy land where player choose a character card and move around a map of cards (3x3, 9x9, or whatever grid of terrain cards) rolling dice to pass challenges and try to finish their quest and collect more treasures before the opposing player does.

Example of character cards:

How character cards folded:

Characters from King Ironheart's Madness:

As I recall you get one Character card per Player booster back. Anyway, characters had three attributes: might, savvy and intelligence. The fourth attribute, combat, was the might attribute plus whatever combat bonuses your gear gave you.

You built your character from a certain number of points and the merits, flaws, treasures, arts (magic) and abilities you owned.

Flaws gave you more points, but an opposing player could exhaust some of them at any time to trigger the effect and make your life more difficult.

And yes, male and female characters had different stats and abilities. :frogsiren:

I played Arcadia a handful of times. One that stands out is when I was introducing a friend of mine to play. He immediately grabbed the Treasure "Blow Dryer" or something which could forcibly move an opponent two map tiles in a specific direction if they failed a might test. I hadn't considered the utility of the card before then. 45 minutes later when I had spent the majority of the game boxed into the upper right hand corner of the map between him and his brothers, he announced his victory.

King Ironheart's Madness was the only expansion, and as far as I know, not based on a canonical Changeling the Dreaming event. Ahead of its time, it was playing around with the Steampunk aesthetic in the mid-1990s.

Overall, Arcadia was a decent card game (if slightly more complicated to set up than magic) and if it was in publication today I'd recommend it as an RPG for young kids.

---------------------

I think a CCG RPG or even drawing random equipment/abilities from a deck in an RPG is fun because players are trying to solve a roleplaying problem with a different assortment of tools than they normally use. Something similar to Apollo 13; where there is a serious event that occurs that you do not have the perfect tool for, and you have to cobble together a solution from what you have at hand.

The difficulty is that in a game like Arcada, where each terrain space you are landing on has a different adversarial encounter, it is hard to draw a common narrative through random events. Purely relying on random encounter draws does not create rising action, a climax and resolution. Maybe this could be solved with three decks: basic encounters, midtier encounters and climax encounters.

Also, it works better if initial equipment/abilities available is found on a list that has been drawn up with some design considerations, rather than randomly drawn. Drawing randomly from treasure decks, however is always fun. :neckbeard:

----------------------

On the subject of RPGs that have "kitchen-sink" settings like Pathfinder:

I've enjoyed the Dragon Age video games (1 and 3); but the setting is bland enough (with the exception of the Qun) that I would not find a table top Dragon Age rpg interesting or compelling to run a game in.

Then I considered the Elder Scrolls world. If Morrowind, with all it's unique creativity, didn't exist, would the Elder Scrolls world be considered as bland as Pathfinder or Dragon Age?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 23, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Echophonic posted:

I've always wanted to check those out, but I've never been able to find the PDFs anywhere.

I immediately found the Colonial Marines one using my rabad alien fan powers.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Tollymain posted:

The base system is by Raggi whatshisface, another similarly upstanding member of the rpg developer community

Yeah, I read a lot about Raggi, but I don't really get most of the hate; he doesn't start smear campaigns against people, or denigrate people who enjoy different types of games from him (as far as I've seen). The worst he seems to do is stir up poo poo to promote controversy (though publishing Carcosa was a stupid thing to do).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Joesky likes Carcosa and that's fine with me

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

In Dragon Storm players role-play a shape shifter or an orc.

That kind of came out of nowhere. Do orcs...shapeshift or anything?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Echophonic posted:

http://www.burningwheel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads#Burning_Sands:_Jihad

Welcome to the No-Fly List.
(it's the Dune splat)

I think Under a Serpent Sun was removed for being too suicidal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rockopolis posted:

http://www.burningwheel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads#Burning_Sands:_Jihad

Welcome to the No-Fly List.
(it's the Dune splat)

I think Under a Serpent Sun was removed for being too suicidal.

What do you mean by "too suicidal" exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

That kind of came out of nowhere. Do orcs...shapeshift or anything?

Huh. Didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

Maybe orcs were introduced in one of the expansions?

• Locked thread