Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kellsterik posted:

That kind of came out of nowhere. Do orcs...shapeshift or anything?

Bigger Orc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Covok posted:

What do you mean by "too suicidal" exactly?
edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I think it'd be easier to describe it being similar to Apocalypse*World, in setting, but with the mood turned up(?) to 11.
I wonder if they had similar influences, I think UaSS was based off Death Metal & no meds.

Umm, it's been years, but the highlights that jump out at me;
It's a really grim kinda post-apocalyptic setting.
The antagonists are nihlistic psychic aliens and/or warped humans who literally feed off misery, and at higher levels, suicide. They're basically loving everything up for everyone/promoting empty consumerism to generate more misery.
The player characters are usually something something Cult of the .45, that lets you tap your Despair stat for extra dice. OTOH if you max out your Despair you use your .45 to :suicide: (pretty standard for emotional stats, just way more blatant)

Honestly, it's probably for the best I can't remember more. It was just really depressing all around, and I know at least a couple of the monsters or something gave me nightmares bad enough I couldn't sleep for a couple days.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Great. Now I can't sleep.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rockopolis posted:

http://www.burningwheel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads#Burning_Sands:_Jihad

Welcome to the No-Fly List.
(it's the Dune splat)

I think Under a Serpent Sun was removed for being too suicidal.

It was removed for being All Wrong. BWHQ folks talk about its issues here, which can be summed up by saying that Burning Wheel is the wrong engine to do hopelessly bleak, rage-against-the-machine gaming because it is fundamentally a system meant to do dramatic adventure stories. UaSS is a failed hack made at a time when Luke wasn't fully aware of the limitations of his system, and everything it tries to do is done better by other games. He prefers not to distribute Bad Work that doesn't represent him well as a designer through his official channels, so it was pulled.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Simian_Prime posted:

or any LotFP game

LotFP isn't really that different than other retroclones except thief skills got unfucked.
LOL if you're using mechanical rules for thief skills.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Raggi apparently is pretty positive about Varg Vikernes making D&D supplements. This is an actual neo-Nazi who murdered somebody, received the maximum sentence you can receive in Norway, and had a terrorist cell of followers, though they were pretty amateurish.

Zak S. is just a loser who harasses people on the Internet. Varg is an actual monster.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 23, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is a thing it would be really cool to say with a citation attached, because Varg Vikernes doesn't actually write D&D supplements.

I mean I love y'all and all, but sometimes you are really quick to get out the hammer and the crosses.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Siivola posted:

This is a thing it would be really cool to say with a citation attached, because Varg Vikernes doesn't actually write D&D supplements.

I mean I love y'all and all, but sometimes you are really quick to get out the hammer and the crosses.

Considering that LotFP has art of women getting fisted to death by skeletons, I think it's pretty easy to believe the creator's got something broken in his head along these lines, unless I'm getting it mixed up with another creepy RPG.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

His wiki page says that the only RPG book he has done is MYFAROG and while he has apparently expressed an interest in D&D I can find no evidence that he is going to publish a module for that. If anyone has a link to that I'd be grateful if they shared.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

paradoxGentleman posted:

His wiki page says that the only RPG book he has done is MYFAROG and while he has apparently expressed an interest in D&D I can find no evidence that he is going to publish a module for that. If anyone has a link to that I'd be grateful if they shared.

Pretty sure they were using "D&D" as a synonym for OSR - WoTC aren't about to start hiring this guy.

From what I've seen Raggi is mostly lovely because:

1) The 'grindhouse' aesthetic he goes for tends to be pretty misogynistic in art and content - see the core book's art and Death Love Doom.
2) He intentionally stirs up controversy as a publicity stunt - see him fanning the flames of consultancygate when Red and Pleasant Land was about to come out, using anti-Zak quotes from people harassed by him in publicity materials, and likely this Varg thing.

Also the game and adventures he has written don't do anything to create the Weird Fantasy tone he says he's aiming for, but if I was to get annoyed at that there's a very long list of designers I'd have to be annoyed at.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Siivola posted:

I looked into this. It's pretty clear Raggi linked Varg's video because it's weird to see a hardcore racist/murderer talk about D&D. "[H]e really doesn't sound any different than anyone else around here."

On the other hand, Raggi also made a G+ post to the effect of no matter what an unrepentant bloody handed murderer you are, it shouldn't stop people from buying your poo poo or collaborating with you.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

PurpleXVI posted:

Considering that LotFP has art of women getting fisted to death by skeletons, I think it's pretty easy to believe the creator's got something broken in his head along these lines, unless I'm getting it mixed up with another creepy RPG.

The world is just not ready for lesbian amy winehouse eroticism.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Flavivirus posted:

Pretty sure they were using "D&D" as a synonym for OSR - WoTC aren't about to start hiring this guy.

From what I've seen Raggi is mostly lovely because:

1) The 'grindhouse' aesthetic he goes for tends to be pretty misogynistic in art and content - see the core book's art and Death Love Doom.
2) He intentionally stirs up controversy as a publicity stunt - see him fanning the flames of consultancygate when Red and Pleasant Land was about to come out, using anti-Zak quotes from people harassed by him in publicity materials, and likely this Varg thing.

Also the game and adventures he has written don't do anything to create the Weird Fantasy tone he says he's aiming for, but if I was to get annoyed at that there's a very long list of designers I'd have to be annoyed at.

I've read the Grindhouse corebook, and I'd actually say it's a fairly even split of violence against women vs. violence against men. It's mostly violence against people, which is a factor in the sort of horror he's going for. My first D&D game ever was set in Ravenloft, and I like that LotFP captures much the same vibe as Ravenloft, but willing to go to even darker places.

And it should also be said that Raggi collaborates with many good writers (Kenneth Hite, Vincent Baker) as well as bad (Zak S, the Carcosa guys).

I'm not say that he's some kind of Platonic ideal RPG designer, but I don't think he is, as the Retroclone thread says, "a cancer on the industry."

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, the big convention here in Finland is only like four months away and I'm already thinking about what games I want to run. Old School Hack is definitely on the list of games I want to run, because it's just such a fun little hack and slasher. Since there's no other thread I can think of where to ask this, I'm going to put this here. In case you don't know what Old School Hack is, check it out, it's free: http://www.oldschoolhack.net

What I'm specifically looking for is advice on monsters, creatures and setting up neat combat encounters. I want to stay as far away from the standard D&D standbys like orcs, goblins and kobolds, because you can fight those guys in just about any D&D clone. I'm looking for a set of monsters with a clear theme and some unique identity I can build powers around.

Some ideas I've already had:
Frogmen - These guys can hop huge distances and still attack. I'd give them something like the Fighter's Charge talent, except activating it costs a couple of awesome points.
Spidermen - They have special access to a Roof or Ceiling arena, and can always move there without an attribute check. Might also have web-based attacks, like a spidermage being able to Corner all characters in an arena with a Focused Attack.

Regardless of theme, I need a bunch of mooks and vermin (minions in 4e terms), a couple of guards and monsters, a few elite-type creatures and one really huge monster. Probably a nice mix of melee and ranged monsters and at least one caster type. Also, some inspiration for abilities I can give these critters, with the idea being that these abilities cost Awesome Points to activate (I really want to give the players lots of Awesome Points to play with so they can get a hang of the mechanic).

Some abilities I've already thought of:
Swarming (for mooks) - When a bunch of mooks with this ability gangs up to attack a character, on a hit they can Corner that character with 1 Awesome Point.
Ferocious Combatant (for big monsters) - The monster can attack all characters in their own Arena by paying 3 Awesome Points. Initiative should be rolled for each of their attacks separately.
Pull (special combat action) - Appropriate for giant mutant frogmen and undoubtedly some other monsters, this ability simply gives the monster the ability to Pull a target in an adjacent arena to their arena, resolved like the Throw action.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ropecon's in May this year. So, uh, more like two months. :ohdear:

Edit: Oh poo poo, Jason Morningstar's going to be the guest of honor!

...Uh, who's Jason Morningstar, again? I only recognize the name. :downs:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Siivola posted:

Wrote Fiasco, Durance, Night Witches. Innovative game designer, focuses on creating dramatic, structured role-playing.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

gently caress, I've been so wrapped up in my Master's Thesis that I completely forgot that Ropecon's earlier than before this year. I wonder if they've already started the GM signup?

Also, Jason Morningstar owns. I need to bring my Fiasco books with me so I can bug him for a signature.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

gently caress, I've been so wrapped up in my Master's Thesis that I completely forgot that Ropecon's earlier than before this year. I wonder if they've already started the GM signup?

Also, Jason Morningstar owns. I need to bring my Fiasco books with me so I can bug him for a signature.
Yep, the signups are open. I think I'll have to check out your game, we can have a tiny goonmeet. Do GM's get invited to the afterparty?

Oh hey, looks like the official release date for Night Witches is next month. I think I should look into finding a copy for Morningstar to sign.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

Yep, the signups are open. I think I'll have to check out your game, we can have a tiny goonmeet. Do GM's get invited to the afterparty?

Oh hey, looks like the official release date for Night Witches is next month. I think I should look into finding a copy for Morningstar to sign.

Oh cool, I've still got a week left to sign up! With the theme for this con being "Journey" I might want to run something more travel and exploration-based.

I don't think GMs get officially invited to the afterparty, but that didn't stop me from attending last year, although I do have a history of having worked in Ropecon as staff and even did a one-year stint in the committee, so I'm in a somewhat grey area.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

BrainParasite posted:

I looked into this. It's pretty clear Raggi linked Varg's video because it's weird to see a hardcore racist/murderer talk about D&D. "[H]e really doesn't sound any different than anyone else around here."

On the other hand, Raggi also made a G+ post to the effect of no matter what an unrepentant bloody handed murderer you are, it shouldn't stop people from buying your poo poo or collaborating with you.

Raggi is mostly just kinda dumb, attention hungry, and a bit creepy. The bar for how terrible this hobby can be has sadly risen since people last paid active attention to him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I remember posting varg's rpg on grognards and it was lolzy how the evil race was literally called mudmen in norse and they were described as swarthy fellows. Also Mayhem was better than Burzum

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

Raggi is mostly just kinda dumb, attention hungry, and a bit creepy. The bar for how terrible this hobby can be has sadly risen since people last paid active attention to him.
I don't know if just a bit creepy counts for a man who really likes a movie that features actual animals being mutilated on camera.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Siivola posted:

y'know i remember you saying a thing in persona before but christ 'ropecon' not being some kind of wacky elf shibari convention or w/e keeps throwing me for a loop

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Joesky likes Carcosa and that's fine with me

so uh which carcosa we talkin' about here

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

Been reading A Red and Pleasant Land for LotFP, and I really enjoy the setting (basically an Alice-in-Wonderland-style fantasy world ruled by bizarre vampires ala-Legacy of Kain).

It tears me up because I know that Zak S is an enormous douchebag, but I really like the elements of the setting and the artwork (I'd like to see more modern, abstract, and Expressionist-style art in RPGs in general). I want to run a game in PbP (or any LotFP game), but I'm not sure I'd even find anybody willing to play (Even talk about LotFP is outright banned in the retroclone games forum).

Frustrating! Pretty sure this book will just end up in the category of "Games I like but will never run/play."

Like how Vornheim is actually a really good book for running old school D&D in a city. Like, it's no Damnation City if you're just looking to do some citymaking worldbuilding, but it's alright.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Every time I see Family Circus I can't stop thinking of this:

I'm still loving baffled by this even existing.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Kellsterik posted:

From what i've seen in FATAL & Friends, there are a lot of legitimately great modules for LotFP if you don't dig too deep into the mechanics or the uglier details. Better Than Any Man is a standout. Death Frost Doom, not so much.

Like I said in F&F, Better Than Any Man is super frustrating, because it demonstrates that underneath Raggi's desperation to be an artist provocateur and the mindset that leads him to say Keep on the Borderlands is the standard by which all adventures should be measured lies someone who actually has some good ideas. "You're in a city clogged with desperate wartime refugees run by a cabal of interesting, well-meaning ladies who are in way over their heads and the Swedish army will be here in a few days to level the place, what will you do?" is straight-up fantastic. Then he goes and fucks it up with stuff like Evil Mcdarkblack the powerful rapemurder wizard who exists purely to advance the plot.

In a hobby with folks as awful as Zak and Pundit he's never going to be The Actual Worst or anything, but he's the embodiment of a whole bunch of low level bullshit that plagues rpgs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone ever actually run FATAL?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Only as a LARP.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ningyou posted:

y'know i remember you saying a thing in persona before but christ 'ropecon' not being some kind of wacky elf shibari convention or w/e keeps throwing me for a loop

so uh which carcosa we talkin' about here

*choke* That's an interesting idea to have this early! So does ropecon stand for an acronym, or is it the name of the founder of the convention, or...?

Also Carcosa is loving EEEEWW. Somebody run a game in the Strangereal world instead thanks in advance.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Only as a LARP.

That was my workplace's christmas party.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That was my workplace's christmas party.

How does rolling for anal circumference translate to a LARP? Are some characters just out of your reach? Is it like a stretch goal for victory points for the end of the night? Or do you just put a little post it note on your rear end cheek that says "3d2 / 2 inches"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

fosborb posted:

Is it like a stretch goal
yes

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hearing a lot about Hillfolk. What is it?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Len posted:

Occasionally someone rolls up a character to have a laugh and/or showcase just how messed up the system is, but I don't think anyone ever went beyond that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hearing a lot about Hillfolk. What is it?

A pretty good relationships- and narrative-focused game about tribal/clan people trying to survive in a pseudo-historical 10th century BC Levant (Israel, Jordan, Dead Sea area). It's the kind of thing I love but will never get to play. The corebook is like 250 pages, but the first 80 are the core game, and then the rest is how to use it to do totally different things, like Hollywood studios intrigue or modern scientists making first contact with aliens.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Len posted:

vidmaster ran a forums game of it years ago

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Captain Foo posted:

vidmaster ran a forums game of it years ago

Got the link to the game? I wonder how an ironic FATAL game would play out especially considering our forum culture.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

actually there was an imp zone fatal game but it was just a bunch of crude jokes and veiled mod sass

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Plague of Hats posted:

A pretty good relationships- and narrative-focused game about tribal/clan people trying to survive in a pseudo-historical 10th century BC Levant (Israel, Jordan, Dead Sea area). It's the kind of thing I love but will never get to play. The corebook is like 250 pages, but the first 80 are the core game, and then the rest is how to use it to do totally different things, like Hollywood studios intrigue or modern scientists making first contact with aliens.

Huh.

I might be able to adapt Gurps Fantasy: The Mad Lands to this system then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helical Nightmares posted:

Huh.

I might be able to adapt Gurps Fantasy: The Mad Lands to this system then.

Apart from the frankly massive set of alternatives in the core, there's a pretty hefty handful of further alternatives as supplements out there. What you're looking for might already exist, unless it's very specifically "Mad Lands exactly, except not GURPS." But I'm not familiar with Mad Lands, so :shrug:

• Locked thread