Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Whoa shop talk.

It's cool when you post about this stuff, you have interesting experience. There isn't really any "comic book shops" around here, just places that also stock comics, so it's all foreign to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

It's cool when you post about this stuff, you have interesting experience. There isn't really any "comic book shops" around here, just places that also stock comics, so it's all foreign to me.

I should just stick to this stuff, any time I branch into other things it just ends badly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I should just stick to this stuff, any time I branch into other things it just ends badly.

Nahhh, you're disagreeable sometimes, but you're fine.

Speaking of fine, instead of doing anything productive I just this second finished the current two issues of Silk. It's not bad, but I can't help but feel like she's going to be forgotten about like all the Spider-Girls Marvel has way too many spider people.

It'd be cool though, if Peter and Cindy got a cartoon they were the duel protagonists of. I feel like that could go off really well. It'd probably be better then Ultimate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Silk is definitely the best of the three Spider-Lady ongoings right now and I never once expected that to be something I thought. Especially considering her appearances in ASM to date.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just goes to show that there are no bad characters, just bad writers. It's amazing how everyone did so much better with Spock then Slott did, and now it's the same with Silk. Dude should just show up to the office to write ideas on a whiteboard for everyone else.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

They were stolen by my brother out of my room and he sold them for drug money (lovely, I know). He was with me to go get them back. They offered to return them for the price at which they gave him cash for, which was very fair, but unfortunately they already had sold. It was a first appearance Mary Jane, first non comics code authority comic: #96, a signed copy of #66 by John Romita, and an issue #36 which wasn't all that valuable or anything. But it was my very first spider-man comic I ever bought and it was Ditko art so I was a fan of it.

e: also they didn't have a record of who they sold it to. Only a record of who they bought it from. Which I already knew. Seeing as he was standing next to me.

I remember you posting that your Spider Man 42 was in super good shape too. I'm sorry man :-(

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Just goes to show that there are no bad characters, just bad writers. It's amazing how everyone did so much better with Spock then Slott did, and now it's the same with Silk. Dude should just show up to the office to write ideas on a whiteboard for everyone else.

A Hawkeye solo book? No way that'll ever be worth reading.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone loves Hawkeye, though. This is more like a Mantis solo book turning out awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All the stuff about what the comic shop is legally required to do would likely require him to press charges against his brother, it's entirely possible that he doesn't want to do that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone loves Hawkeye, though. This is more like a Mantis solo book turning out awesome.

Did anyone like Hawkeye that much before the Fraction/Aja book?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I was trying to remember that as well, I want to say no.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Personally, I always liked him in that way where you find yourself liking a character for no real reason. The way Buseik wrote him in Thunderbolts helped a lot.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
He saved The Entire Universe And Everyone And Everything In It by a cheap carny trick once. What's not to like?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

The miniseries that he had in the 80s was pretty good and a lot of deaf people liked him before the Fraction/Aja book. He was also pretty great in Thunderbolts.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hawkeye has always been a character right on the cusp of really popular. He's just been overshadowed by other more popular and visible characters like Captain America and Thor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like almost everyone who wrote Avengers has claimed Hawkeye is their favorite. The guy may not have had the ability to carry his own solo book, but he's never been disliked.

The only people I've ever heard badmouth Hawkeye are hardcore Green Arrow fans who feel threatened by his superior fashion sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

All the stuff about what the comic shop is legally required to do would likely require him to press charges against his brother, it's entirely possible that he doesn't want to do that.

Yeah, that's a detail I didn't think of.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Yeah there would need to be fraud charges or stolen property something or others. Ultimately they offered to help in an unbelievably generous way, and until it was discovered they had already sold they were willing to give them back for the same value he got cash for them. They went above and beyond just for that alone instead of telling me to screw off like they could have. And on top of it, when they then saw how upset I was about them being sold they gave me a huuuuuge discount on that 121 to make it hurt all just a little bit less. In fact it was the best customer service in any store I've been in (even non-comic related) in a long long time. The funny thing about it is I never go there cause their prices are a bit wack and they refuse to haggle on high cost items. I actively avoid that shop because of their dodgy customer service and prices. But that's the only shop my brother knew about so that's how they ended up there.

Now I have a totally new respect for at least one of their employees, Matt. That guy is real good poo poo and sincerely cared and tried to help me the best he could. And I plan on revisitting that store and giving them my business if only the sole fact that single employee was so kind to me. I also plan on calling the manager and telling them how helpful he was (because seriously the rest of the staff is retarded). I don't think it will replace my regular shop. But I will for sure be going in just to pay some respect to that Matt guy. It's really an awesome thing when your dealer (lol dealer) cares that much about their customers happiness. You don't see that often, not around here anyway.

In other news, can someone link me a resource or explain how I can get this copy CGC rated? It's definitely in good enough condition to warrant that and it's mega key.

e: i'll just google it durp

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 24, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

In other news, can someone link me a resource or explain how I can get this copy CGC rated? It's definitely in good enough condition to warrant that and it's mega key.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Submitting.aspx

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I remember a lot of people being really upset that Bendis killed Hawkeye. I also remember being really confused by that because Hawkeye was lame and who cares. Now if they killed Hawkeye I'd be really upset.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

I remember a lot of people being really upset that Bendis killed Hawkeye. I also remember being really confused by that because Hawkeye was lame and who cares. Now if they killed Hawkeye I'd be really upset.

You're remembering correctly. Bendis has a lot to do with the upswing in his popularity. People were super excited when he came back and became Ronin, and later when he and Mockingbird were back together the reaction from fans was overwhelmingly positive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well I liked Hawkeye before it was cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

What if it's never been cool?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hawkeye's silly costume was probably the biggest barrier of entry for getting into him. Though I remember being excited as a kid when I got a neato Hawkeye figure(my dad also got one, me having one to play with and one for him to collect).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That just means you aren't cool

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have a goon who's husband does an amazing job at cosplaying Hawkeye.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

:hfive:

One of the earlier comics I owned was that West Coast Avengers annual where Hawkeye saved all of creation by conning the Grandmaster and Captain America was looking at him like he couldn't decide whether or not he approved, it was glorious. Always dug him since then.

That said, if I had to point at a reason for his recent popularity it'd be threefold:

1) Buseik's use of him in Avengers and Thunderbolts, which really solidified his characterization in the modern age;
2) Bendis killing him and bringing him back, which did the whole "absence makes the heart grow finder" bit, and
3) Fraction and Aja's solo series, for obvious reasons.

Like, I don't know that the later reasons would have happened without the earlier ones, is kind of my point.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I hate to knock things off-topic with my :arghfist::spidey: posting, but there is news. Gage doing the Spider-Island book for Secret Wars, with an MC2 backup story.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I hate to knock things off-topic with my :arghfist::spidey: posting, but there is news. Gage doing the Spider-Island book for Secret Wars, with an MC2 backup story.

Spider-Island sounds kind of cool, an Agent Venom story where he's going around turning infected heroes and villains into other things (the two things they mention specifically are Cap-Wolf and Lizard-Hulk) so they can fight off the Spider Queen could be pretty fun.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Spider-Gwen just keeps being amazing. Also I just knew that Police Brutality Punisher would wear the skull on his riot gear. Knew it.

I think the thing I like best about this series is that all of the major movers of the story are the comic book characters most notorious for getting killed off—Gwen, Captain Stacy, DeWolff, Uncle Ben, Frank Castle's family (indirectly—their continued existence, and the NYPD's notorious lack of self-awareness or oversight, is what enables him to be a mostly-normal citizen,) etc. I guess that makes Spider-Gwen kind of indirectly the Marvel version of Batman's Flashpoint arc, except I actually want to read it because it's a Marvel comic with a female protagonist.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Just a girl" was pretty awesome.

Really like this book, and it's the first spidey book I've loved sind Scarlet Spider.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm enjoying it, but I wish the writer would cool it on the dialogue callbacks. The 'face it tiger' bit in this issue was cringe-inducing.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

Spider-Island sounds kind of cool, an Agent Venom story where he's going around turning infected heroes and villains into other things (the two things they mention specifically are Cap-Wolf and Lizard-Hulk) so they can fight off the Spider Queen could be pretty fun.

No joke, when I was a kid I bought the issues with Cap Wolf because of how cool he looked.

I was a dumb kid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

radlum posted:

No joke, when I was a kid I bought the issues with Cap Wolf because of how cool he looked.

I was a dumb kid.

Hey, dumb humanoid animals in uniforms are always cool.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I think the day I got the mail-away Battle Beasts poster was probably the happiest day of my young life.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Battle Beasts derail: I recognize the style of the two in the middle, but the ones on the ends... did they remake Battle Beasts and not tell me? Those are super detailed!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E: Shut my mouth!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Battle Beasts derail: I recognize the style of the two in the middle, but the ones on the ends... did they remake Battle Beasts and not tell me? Those are super detailed!

They didn't send you the memo? Damnit

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=2955

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Well, Spidey 2099 is wrapping up its few remaining plot points since it ends with issue 12 and transforms into Secret Wars 2099. It's been an interesting book, but it really didn't have much time to set up its own status quo with all the crossovers and overarching plots it was involved in. I hope it can continue in some form after Secret Wars 2099, although the recent sales figures have it trending downward.

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about SW2099 since David is still involved. I'm bummed that the original 2099 timeline has seemingly been wiped to some degree, but it makes sense given what Miguel has been doing in the past and also the events from All-New X-Factor. I can understand wanting to do something new with the 2099-universe and move the story forward there. Then again, I find it hard to believe many new readers are buying the 2099 stuff and naturally assume it's people who are nostalgic about the original line like me.

I'm hoping for a mix of the old and the new in SW2099. There will be new stuff like the Avengers 2099, but maybe some old favorites like Doom, Punisher, Ravage, etc. will still make an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Spider-Woman is actually pretty fun now. I liked the run with Jess and her cereal cup. :)

• Locked thread