Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411098440 the best asset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

MikeJF posted:

I'm in this weird place where my city seems to have flattened out. Everyone's reasonably happy, traffic's not that bad, all my services are over capacity... but my RCI is zeroed out and new zones don't really want to grow. Any tips?

Increase land value in residential areas so people want to move in?

Although I had a major lull that was solved when I plopped down a University.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Starhawk64 posted:

Now I want someone to make a dystopian mod, with the ugliest, dirtiest, and most overcrowded buildings that would put Hive Cities from Warhammer 40K to shame.

Kinda joking though, I love this game's clean and green near future atheistic. High tech houses and high rises are pretty. :3:

I desperately want a cyberpunk dystopia mod. My main city isn't living up to it's name, "Night City".

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Wooper posted:

Yellow marked highway is in the wrong direction.

Motherfucker. That fixed it. Good catch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Starhawk64 posted:

Do industrial areas need parks to upgrade? Seems kinda weird to plop a playground in the middle of smoke belching factories.

Yup, that is why a few of us have been tinkering with Industrial themed "parks". Basically just parks that'll blend into the industrial zone while still providing desirability improvements to the zone.

Noyemi has a few finished ones already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think I figured out my metro problem. Every stop that isn't being used isn't just on a one-way street, it's on the end of a T junction

Can anyone else replicate this? Are metros not working when placed on T junctions a known issue? I just built a whole city based around it :(

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

xzzy posted:

It takes like 5 minutes to make a custom park with the in-game tools. You specify how big the plot is, and plop whatever you want onto the space. You adjust the effectiveness of the park by setting a few numbers.

It's really cool how easy it is, and a wider array of park sizes the first change I made to the game.

:drat: Didn't know it was that simple!

Subyng posted:

Just make your own in the asset editor ffs that's what it's there for.

Wow, rude.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I "organically" build neighborhoods by roleplaying a contentious city council. When neighborhoods are built they are usually fused grid. Then I role play the state transportation dept coming in a building roads with no real relation to anything the locals want. This creates realistic looking cities.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I desperately want a cyberpunk dystopia mod. My main city isn't living up to it's name, "Night City".

I'm hoping for a space orbital habitat mod. Turn that map into a rotating cylinder, build lots of space ports and space bars, go all Revelation Space Glitter Band/Rust Belt up in here.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Duck and burger posted:

Wow, rude.

sorry but people keep asking this even though one of the game's biggest selling points was how easy it is to make your own parks and stuff

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Duck and burger posted:

Wow, rude.

I love it - the Goofus/Gallant posts of the SA forums.

euphronius posted:

I "organically" build neighborhoods by roleplaying a contentious city council. When neighborhoods are built they are usually fused grid. Then I role play the state transportation dept coming in a building roads with no real relation to anything the locals want. This creates realistic looking cities.

Wow! Googling "fused grid" was exactly what I was looking for.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Starhawk64 posted:

Do industrial areas need parks to upgrade? Seems kinda weird to plop a playground in the middle of smoke belching factories.

No, you just need good fire/police and maybe medical coverage.

Offices, on the other hand...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Offices, on the other hand...

Where else would the drones go to chain-smoke a whole pack and regret some of their life choices. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DEO3 posted:

Are there any parking lot sets that have in-game icons? I love me some parking lots, but I can't stand when my menus are cluttered with those stupid 'no preview available' icon.

Yeah, I want to figure out how to do that before I put out any asset editor stuff (the only things I'm capable of).

Duck and burger posted:

It is! I just loaded the game up and threw this simple thing together in about 3 minutes. Including load times.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

bitcoin bastard posted:

Do preview icons work at all? It seems like the snapshot feature is work in progress, doesn't even have any kind of confirmation that you took a snapshot, and it seems to only work for the load/save dialog, and not in game.

Yeah there's some way to make it work, most things that come out now a days have a menu icon, so modders have figured it out, I have no idea how it's done though.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This Mars map made me wonder:

Is there a good space/Mars colony sim out there? Not RTS or strategy like Alpha Centauri, more like a traditional city sim.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

smoobles posted:

Is there a good space/Mars colony sim out there? Not RTS or strategy like Alpha Centauri, more like a traditional city sim.

Yeah an amazing one called "Outpost". And they never made any more for some odd reason.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Fish Fry Andy posted:

On that topic, industries seem to be enormous fire hazards, necessitating like three times as many fire stations in the area to keep them at maximum fire safety. I don't know if you need them that high for them to level up, but at least it seems to prevent fires.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

smoobles posted:

Only thing that comes to mind for me is either Startopia or Space Colony. Those are more like smaller scale build stuff to keep people happy sims though.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah an amazing one called "Outpost". And they never made any more for some odd reason.

I've been waiting for Outpost 2 since 1994.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Has anybody made a gay bar growable for this game yet

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I've been waiting for Outpost 2 since 1994.

Yeah, good thing they didn't take the original game and turn it into some sort of bastardized RTS, huh?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:psyduck:

e: Traffic light mods is a godsent, I can finally start using other roads other than highways and 2-lane.

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 23, 2015

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

On that topic, industries seem to be enormous fire hazards, necessitating like three times as many fire stations in the area to keep them at maximum fire safety. I don't know if you need them that high for them to level up, but at least it seems to prevent fires.

I feel like no matter how many fire stations I put up, poo poo gets burned down all the time. There could be a fire station right next to a burning building and all 25 engines just sit there twiddling their thumbs. It feels like services are bugged in that the closest service is not summoned for an event; rather, a random one is chosen and if it's halfway across the map then you're screwed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Have you never met a rich/educated person? They waste nothing and consume less than the uneducated working class, flicking their cigs on the pavement and tossing their fast food wrappers in the park. Their betters recycle and sort their trash of course.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Baronjutter posted:

Have you never met a rich/educated person? They waste nothing and consume less than the uneducated working class, flicking their cigs on the pavement and tossing their fast food wrappers in the park. Their betters recycle and sort their trash of course.

The rich use EVERY PART of the buffalo.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Anything in this game related to eco-related stuff is absolutely hilarious in its naivety.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I prefer to think of it as an idealistic take. :v:

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Anyone know why the river that goes directly through my little city randomly started to rise and flood out properties?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hikaki posted:

I feel like no matter how many fire stations I put up, poo poo gets burned down all the time. There could be a fire station right next to a burning building and all 25 engines just sit there twiddling their thumbs. It feels like services are bugged in that the closest service is not summoned for an event; rather, a random one is chosen and if it's halfway across the map then you're screwed.
Industrial also tends to have heavier traffic. Your firetrucks can get stuck behind some rear end in a top hat making a delivery of pants to the fish stick factory.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cthulhoo posted:

Anything in this game related to eco-related stuff is absolutely hilarious in its naivety.

Yeah I don't know if they actually did any research or just pulled numbers out of their butts. But actually by the way pollution works, noise pollution is just as bad as ground pollution, except windmills and poo poo have a bigger radius and you need a ton of them. You pay more for fossil fuels or nuclear but they save space as they don't create as much polllution.

Like a single oil plant pollutes a tiny bit around its self but you just need the one. Wind makes a huge circle of noise pollution and you need a million of them. So in a sense of a mindless need for "game balance" it makes sense. Basically their pollution model is pretty bad. Air pollution should effect huge areas and be carried by the wind.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I prefer to think of it as an idealistic take. :v:

It's an inspiration to us all. :unsmith:

e: Uh-oh.

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 23, 2015

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
For anyone interested in this game but new to city builders, you should take a look at this guide on starting a new city: https://imgur.com/a/LuzAc

It's great. Not only because it covers the basics, but because it walks you through all the steps and upgrades you should make all the way up to 10k citizens. It should really be in the OP.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Please post some secreenshots, I'm interesting in seeing what someone else does with it.

This is from my third time playing this map. Only using 6 tiles to try to force myself to build up in the hills before building too far outwards.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Hikaki posted:

I had 40+% fire hazard and almost no burn-downs for the longest time in a long-grid/angled-grid city. I only just added fire coverage to increase land value. Corpses everywhere all the time, though.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yesss
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/707403345941471302/2A68CB464677DAE9F7CFE70F5F50274A1E3D6913/
(Terraforming mod)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CompeAnansi posted:

For anyone interested in this game but new to city builders, you should take a look at this guide on starting a new city: https://imgur.com/a/LuzAc

It's great. Not only because it covers the basics, but because it walks you through all the steps and upgrades you should make all the way up to 10k citizens. It should really be in the OP.

This is great. I'm going to use this in combination with the industrial coffee filter design on my new city tonight.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So this game's been out for a few weeks with modding capabilities...
Why has no one built a low level low density residential Groverhaus?

Helicoprion
Oct 31, 2010

Zip! posted:

Oh man! Please upload this map! Does it have all the appropriate transport links?

Here is the South Rhino map
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412834616

its got all the links, but you will need the 25 tile mod if you want to build on the whole rhino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ugh this game is so loving good guys. Anyone visiting this thread out of interest, just buy it already.