Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

Didn't stop them from reprinting brainstorm which is a significantly less powerful without fetches. They could throw in vivids or something and put a wasteland in and it'd be fine.

That was at common though, right? They're making a set that's supposed to be a fun casual draft set. They don't want to put in rares that you have to take because they're worth money instead of the card you actually want to draft for your deck. It's the kind of set where they want the money rares to actually be playable in draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Didn't stop them from reprinting brainstorm which is a significantly less powerful without fetches. They could throw in vivids or something and put a wasteland in and it'd be fine.

Just make up a cycle of spell lands.

Bam, it's got a use.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dohaeris posted:

It gains first strike till end of turn when it attacks. So presumably, once they attack, they get the ability. Killing something else after that doesn't matter, because it already has first strike.

This isn't the same thing as what Entropic is saying above. If they attack me and I respond to declaring attacks by killing a guy that brings their power below 8, is it a first striker or not?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dohaeris posted:

It gains first strike till end of turn when it attacks. So presumably, once they attack, they get the ability. Killing something else after that doesn't matter, because it already has first strike.

Presumably Formidable works like Ferocious, meaning even if the trigger goes on the stack, if it ceases to be true on resolution, you don't get the effect.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

This isn't the same thing as what Entropic is saying above. If they attack me and I respond to declaring attacks by killing a guy that brings their power below 8, is it a first striker or not?

You can prevent it from getting first strike after it's declared as an attacker, but you have to do it right by killing something in response to the trigger, and be ready to call a judge over to explain Intervening If clauses.

Just to be clear, what has to happen is: They attack with Sabertooth and whatever else. That triggers the Sabertooth's formidable ability. You kill something while that ability is on the stack. When that ability resolves, it checks to see if formidable is still active. If it isn't, the Sabertooth doesn't get first strike.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 23, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I also forgot to mention that in the 50 or so packs of DTK i opened this weekend, I'm the proud owner of zero's Sliumgar's Scorn. Mythic uncommons are the worst.

This triggers me.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

Pauper just has precious few 2-for-1s, and the ones that exist are always overpriced. There's just no way to value-grind against Ancestral Recall.

I'm kind of laughing that they let it stew long enough that most of the metagame aggregator sites have forgotten what went in those decks before Cruise. I don't remember, myself. Mulldrifter?

I also have 4 mulldrifter in my list. All the blue decks get to run all the good legacy cantrips anyway, cruise just took it over the top. I guess divination could be used in tron, might add another flame slash in place of a cruise as well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I also forgot to mention that in the 50 or so packs of DTK i opened this weekend, I'm the proud owner of zero's Sliumgar's Scorn. Mythic uncommons are the worst.

I ended up trading for three Prerelease Night, but I swear more people opened copies of non-promo Zurgo than Lightning Berserker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

You think it's good enough?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Hrm. Sabertooth Outrider reads as "Formidable - Whenever Sabertooth Outrider attacks, it gains first strike until end of turn as long as creatures you control have total power 8 or greater. "

To me that means once you attack, the formidable trigger goes on the stack and then resolves. Then the other person declares blockers. If they kill it or something else to reduce the total power before declaring blockers or allowing the attack to resolve, then it wouldn't get the first strike. If you declare blockers, then it gets first strike till end of turn even if you kill other stuff.

I am also a newer player but that's just how I read it. Am I wrong there?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I also have 4 mulldrifter in my list. All the blue decks get to run all the good legacy cantrips anyway, cruise just took it over the top. I guess divination could be used in tron, might add another flame slash in place of a cruise as well.

Rule #1 of Pauper: If you're trying to run Divination, you're doing something wrong.

Are you maxed out on Compulsive Research already?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dohaeris posted:

Hrm. Sabertooth Outrider reads as "Formidable - Whenever Sabertooth Outrider attacks, it gains first strike until end of turn as long as creatures you control have total power 8 or greater. "

To me that means once you attack, the formidable trigger goes on the stack and then resolves. Then the other person declares blockers. If they kill it or something else to reduce the total power before declaring blockers or allowing the attack to resolve, then it wouldn't get the first strike. If you declare blockers, then it gets first strike till end of turn even if you kill other stuff.

Pretty close. It goes on the stack, then you get priority. The opponent needs to kill stuff before it resolves. If your total power is less than 8 WHEN it resolves, then it doesn't get first strike. You're right, if it gets to blockers as-is, then it resolves, since blockers is the step after attackers, and you do get priority in the attackers step (right after declaring attackers)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dohaeris posted:

"Goes on the stack and then resolves" is where you're getting it wrong. It goes on the stack. Then both players have a chance to respond. Then it resolves once anything that was put on the stack above it resolves. And when it's resolving, it checks if formidable is active.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Dohaeris posted:

Players are allowed to respond to any trigger going on the stack. So if you turn off Formidable before the trigger resolves, the creature will not get first strike.

Fun fact: This also works with Flamewake Phoenix. You can respond to its Ferocious trigger by killing their 4-power dude prevent it from coming back. I've seen this be relevant when players who didn't know better tried to turn off Ferocious at the end of Main Phase 1, giving their opponent a chance to cast another 4-power guy before going into combat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

Fun fact: This also works with Flamewake Phoenix. You can respond to its Ferocious trigger by killing their 4-power dude prevent it from coming back. I've seen this be relevant when players who didn't know better tried to turn off Ferocious at the end of Main Phase 1, giving their opponent a chance to cast another 4-power guy before going into combat.

You get priority before attackers are declared anyway, no?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

You get priority before attackers are declared anyway, no?

Yes but the Ferocious trigger goes on the stack at the beginning of combat, so people who don't know it checks on resolution as well think it's like a Rabblemaster situation, where they have to deal with it in M1.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Rule #1 of Pauper: If you're trying to run Divination, you're doing something wrong.

I miss casting train of thought and oona's grace in pauper :saddowns:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

bhsman posted:

I ended up trading for three Prerelease Night, but I swear more people opened copies of non-promo Zurgo than Lightning Berserker.
I opened more Ojutai Examplars than Pacifisms.

and of course multiple Commune with Lava

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Now imagine all this but with the batch system instead of a stack.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So they banned Cruise and left Cloud of Faeries? I mean I guess Familiar and Delver weren't good enough already, thanks for killing U/B Delve and weakening Kiln Fiend while leaving the strongest combo and strongest tempo decks around.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hellsau posted:

So they banned Cruise and left Cloud of Faeries? I mean I guess Familiar and Delver weren't good enough already, thanks for killing U/B Delve and weakening Kiln Fiend while leaving the strongest combo and strongest tempo decks around.

This bothers me too.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Anyone got a good idea for what you'd name a format that had legacy's banned list and card pool, but, the reserve list was also banned?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Chronicles

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

I can understand cracking a few while basking in the glow of winning, but why would you crack 50+ packs when so many of the rares are obvious casual bulk-bin garbage. Just save them to draft/play sealed with friends.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Alaan posted:

Chronicles

Oh gently caress. You're onto something here.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I can understand cracking a few while basking in the glow of winning, but why would you crack 50+ packs when so many of the rares are obvious casual bulk-bin garbage. Just save them to draft/play sealed with friends.

C'mon don't answer your own question it makes for bad thread flow!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

No, thats a better option. Like I said, I'm new to pauper so I don't know which options to think of for cards like that. Research is definitely better with some of the cards in my list.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I only draft at stores, I will need some cards from this set for standard and cracking packs is fun...

Zoness posted:

C'mon don't answer your own question it makes for bad thread flow!

Do you ever post anything that isn't an unprovoked insult?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you wanna get on the complain train about cracking packs you really shouldn't be too shocked at people's replies...............

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

If you wanna get on the complain train about cracking packs you really shouldn't be too shocked at people's replies...............

I'm not shocked. I know cracking packs is terrible EV. I was just commenting on a poster who is a perpetual rear end in a top hat. The specific issue of cracking packs is irrelevant.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kraus posted:

Anyone got a good idea for what you'd name a format that had legacy's banned list and card pool, but, the reserve list was also banned?

Terrible.

Alternatively, Burn: the Format. Miracles might still be a deck too, I guess.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I'm not shocked. I know cracking packs is terrible EV. I was just commenting on a poster who is a perpetual rear end in a top hat. The specific issue of cracking packs is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure it's your fault that you took it as an insult. Maybe you shouldn't think everything is about you in here!

Hellsau posted:

It's kind of baffling cloud of faeries isn't banned considering their stance on free spells by design but I guess R&D doesn't care enough and thinks that it somehow does more good than harm.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

I will need some cards from this set for standard

That's no justification for cracking (50+) packs obviously, but I can't argue with having fun. That's pissing away $200 though lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

That's no justification for cracking packs obviously, but I can't argue with having fun. That's pissing away $200 though lol

You're right. It's just human nature to value prize packs less than packs that you buy I guess would be my best explanation. lol And I probably got like 50-60 bucks worth of value so I only pissed away 150 not 200...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

Terrible.

Alternatively, Burn: the Format. Miracles might still be a deck too, I guess.

Would burn survive the banning of Lightning Bolt?

Aaaaaaand, go~!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

That's no justification for cracking (50+) packs obviously, but I can't argue with having fun. That's pissing away $200 though lol

I pissed away 80 bucks of value yesterday opening my winnings.

I got some stuff I wanted for free, so I'm okay with that.

Some people just like to open packs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Would burn survive the banning of Lightning Bolt?

Aaaaaaand, go~!

Would it survive the banning of Chain Lightning or Lava Spike?

Yes. Yes, it would.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I bought a box of DtK because cracking packs is fun and I play enough kitchen table with the roommates that having a big pile of cards to mess with is worth it to me. And I play standard so hopefully I'll get some stuff I'm actually going to use.

Only won like 4 packs going 3-1 at my prerelease though. Sigh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

To be fair lottery pots grow while being value black holes :iiam:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You know you can open some packs, but not all the packs?

mcmagic posted:

You're right. It's just human nature to value prize packs less than packs that you buy I guess would be my best explanation.
I think you could make the argument that the same interface problem humans have with going from currency to currency would also screw up your evaluations in this situation, yeah.

• Locked thread