Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dohaeris posted:

Hrm. Sabertooth Outrider reads as "Formidable - Whenever Sabertooth Outrider attacks, it gains first strike until end of turn as long as creatures you control have total power 8 or greater. "

To me that means once you attack, the formidable trigger goes on the stack and then resolves. Then the other person declares blockers. If they kill it or something else to reduce the total power before declaring blockers or allowing the attack to resolve, then it wouldn't get the first strike. If you declare blockers, then it gets first strike till end of turn even if you kill other stuff.

I am also a newer player but that's just how I read it. Am I wrong there?

It actually reads "Formidable — Whenever Sabertooth Outrider attacks, if creatures you control have total power 8 or greater, Sabertooth Outrider gains first strike until end of turn.". The second phrase ("if... greater") is called an "intervening if" clause, which means (1) the ability only triggers and gets put on the stack if creatures you control have power 8 or more and (2) the rest of the ability only actually does something on resolution if creatures you control power 8 or more.

So this is what happens when a player with a Sabertooth Outrider and a Summit Prowler attacks:
  • Active player declares both creatures as attackers.
  • The ability of the Saberooth Outrider checks to see creatures have power 8 or more. They do, so it triggers and is put onto the stack.
  • The defending player gets priority.
  • Defending player casts Flatten, killing Summit Prowler.
  • Both players are tapped out and pass priority.
  • The ability of the Outrider resolves, and checks to see if creatures attacking player controls have power 8 or more. They don't, so the ability does nothing on resolution.

That's, in a nutshell, how "intervening if" triggers work. I think it's a terribly complex thing to expect new/casual players to know and I don't think it's something that templating or rules should be encouraging in card design, but that's by the by. Whether or not you can stop a card draw off Abzan Beastmaster shouldn't depend on whether there's a comma in the triggered ability or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

For people who sometimes spend thousands of dollars on cardboard fantasy art, Magic players sure care a lot about how strangers spend their money.

Which is extra funny because time is the most valuable resource anyone has and drafting 50+ packs would likely take literal days worth of time playing a card game unless you want to run huge drafts with your packs.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
50 packs is like exactly 2 drafts for 8 players so I could do that on any day of the week easily.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Count Bleck posted:

I pissed away 80 bucks of value yesterday opening my winnings.

I got some stuff I wanted for free, so I'm okay with that.

Some people just like to open packs.

Oh I always crack prize packs when it's like 3-5. Like mcmagic said you tend to value prize packs less than ones you paid for. Just could never convince myself to open more than a handful that way, despite the lottery crack feeling.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Would burn survive the banning of Lightning Bolt?

Aaaaaaand, go~!

Burn would, but I think if you were looking to power down burn for that guy's format you'd want to hit Fireblast, Chain Lightning, and Lava Spike, in that order (but likely all 3). Fireblast gives burn too much speed, Chain Lightning is the second best bolt in the format, and Lava Spike is arguably worse than Rift Bolt but Rift Bolt is slower, so that goes.

At that point I think you've got enough holes in your monocolored bolts that you're splashing and/or relying on a lot more 2 drops, which mean you're no longer a turn 3 consistent clock against the 2/3 color decks that go fetch shock, fetch shock.

This way you get to keep Lightning Bolt in the format which is the number 1 reason to play Red as a splash, so you're encouraging diversity.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Do you ever post anything that isn't an unprovoked insult?

Lol it's only an insult if the person actually has no friends. Like if someone made that crack at me my reaction would be to chuckle and think "haha the stereotype is that Magic players have no friends" (even though that;s not actually true most of the time) and then not get salty about it because I have friends. If his words strike a little close to home I'm sorry, that sucks that you have no friends, please try to work on that. A good social support group is important in life.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also in regards to opening prize packs, I opened my 15 prize packs got Ojutai, Narset, and Sarkhan, so obviously everyone should open all their prize packs because there is ton of value in the set.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Burn would, but I think if you were looking to power down burn for that guy's format you'd want to hit Fireblast, Chain Lightning, and Lava Spike, in that order (but likely all 3). Fireblast gives burn too much speed, Chain Lightning is the second best bolt in the format, and Lava Spike is arguably worse than Rift Bolt but Rift Bolt is slower, so that goes.

At that point I think you've got enough holes in your monocolored bolts that you're splashing and/or relying on a lot more 2 drops, which mean you're no longer a turn 3 consistent clock against the 2/3 color decks that go fetch shock, fetch shock.

This way you get to keep Lightning Bolt in the format which is the number 1 reason to play Red as a splash, so you're encouraging diversity.

Can't you just, uh

Fetch for basics like you do in Modern Junk against Burn

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lets Pickle posted:

Lol it's only an insult if the person actually has no friends. Like if someone made that crack at me my reaction would be to chuckle and think "haha the stereotype is that Magic players have no friends" (even though that;s not actually true most of the time) and then not get salty about it because I have friends. If his words strike a little close to home I'm sorry, that sucks that you have no friends, please try to work on that. A good social support group is important in life.

It's obviously an insult. I actually do have friends but since we don't know each other in real life there is no way for any of us to actually know that so the only way to take it is as an insult.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can't you just, uh

Fetch for basics like you do in Modern Junk against Burn

I mean since the whole point of his great new magic format is to not be modern I would assume you might try to cast spells that aren't siege rhino and therefore to hit like a hymn on turn 2 you would not want to have fetched double swamps.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It's obviously an insult. I actually do have friends but since we don't know each other in real life there is no way for any of us to actually know that so the only way to take it is as an insult.

or you know

a joke

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gang sines posted:

or you know

a joke
No one makes jokes on this comedy forum for comedy website Something Awful dot com.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
poo poo...then yeah it was def a mad ownage burn sry mickey m

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gang sines posted:

or you know

a joke

Sure but when the same person insults you after every post you make that isn't a joke. it's an insult.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I mean McMagic is McMagic but stop trying to defend the guy who is very clearly just making GBS threads on him.

I don't know why I capitalized like that.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Oh I always crack prize packs when it's like 3-5. Like mcmagic said you tend to value prize packs less than ones you paid for. Just could never convince myself to open more than a handful that way, despite the lottery crack feeling.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I did one full pack cracking of packs on journey of nyx and quickly learned my lesson.

The lesson is Iroas. Many Iroas. As in Iroas'd all that credit to no real return.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I mean since the whole point of his great new magic format is to not be modern I would assume you might try to cast spells that aren't siege rhino and therefore to hit like a hymn on turn 2 you would not want to have fetched double swamps.

I don't think Hymn gets run that much in actual Legacy anymore, does it?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i got hymned yesterday

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gang sines posted:

i got hymned yesterday

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
by bug delver, a fake legacy deck

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

gang sines posted:

by bug delver, a fake legacy deck

whats bug is that sultai or something

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I mean McMagic is McMagic but stop trying to defend the guy who is very clearly just making GBS threads on him.

Look not everyone has time to research the shitpost meta and you just have to wade in knee deep into the augean stables of online content.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 23, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I appreciate how the clans will be remembered, since they set the wedge, but the dragon broods won't since it's just easier to say "so you want to go gruul / dimir for the 2hg?" than try to remember goofy dragon names. That's a little bit of cute design irony.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiderdrake posted:

I appreciate how the clans will be remembered, since they set the wedge, but the dragon broods won't since it's just easier to say "so you want to go gruul / dimir for the 2hg?" than try to remember goofy dragon names.

Scuse me, Atarka is a metal as gently caress name, thanks.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

whats bug is that sultai or something

It's pronounced Team America.

Hymn really only shows up in Shardless BUG and Jund but it was the first example of a 1 card play that would invite you to find duals to cast your other spells sometime.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Spiderdrake posted:

I appreciate how the clans will be remembered, since they set the wedge, but the dragon broods won't since it's just easier to say "so you want to go gruul / dimir for the 2hg?" than try to remember goofy dragon names. That's a little bit of cute design irony.

I'm sure that was intentional.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm just mad I couldn't play the best dragon brood, Izzet.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love how dark impostor is in the new cube list. So good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also where was the Augean Stables card in theros block I am missing out on my rich greek myth.

Four Score posted:

I'm just mad I couldn't play the best dragon brood, Izzet.

"Izzet a dragon brood?".

I hope planar chaos 2 has enemy color kartir dragons.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, I think I would take that one over the clan name that rhymes with drool.

Someone make me an alter of Surrak with a big wailing guitar and the flavor text changed too "There is no greater honor than opening for ATARKA!"

I just realized I actually used Hunt caller to give Atarka haste on the weekend. drat that game was a blow out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

Look not everyone has time to research the shitpost meta and you just have to wade in knee deep into the augean stables of online content.

This is the most meta shitpost of all time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

I think atarka is supposed to be like actually just the "tarkir language" for her name kind of like how "sar khan" means above khans. "A tarka" means like render of tarkir and just her epithet World Render. I like to imagine tarkir people as very not imaginative since they're constantly fighting things.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Dromoka sounds like a drink Starbucks would make

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sotar posted:

Dromoka sounds like a drink Starbucks would make

"I would like a Venti Caramel Dromoka with a shot of Cinnamon dolche, please."

Literally me, everytime I go to Starbucks.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
please bolster my coffee w/ some espresso

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like to drink dro mocha and cola ghan.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Roast targetting coffee, response?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

gang sines posted:

please bolster my coffee w/ some espresso
Man, that reminds me, I was watching my friend's buddy struggle with his rather bad opponent's bomby GW deck. Game 2 he loses to Elite Scaleguard. Game 3, he's doing alright, when the dude drops Whisperwood Elemental. Turn passes, manifest goes down and I see him put Scaleguard facedown. I'm thinking like, he will definitely try to bolster when he flips it up.

Couple turns later, he flips it up and just goes into the tank, then tries to put two counters on his 5/4 bear.

Then just completely crushes his opponent cuz well, you know, Elite Scaleguard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Man, that reminds me, I was watching my friend's buddy struggle with his rather bad opponent's bomby GW deck. Game 2 he loses to Elite Scaleguard. Game 3, he's doing alright, when the dude drops Whisperwood Elemental. Turn passes, manifest goes down and I see him put Scaleguard facedown. I'm thinking like, he will definitely try to bolster when he flips it up.

Couple turns later, he flips it up and just goes into the tank, then tries to put two counters on his 5/4 bear.

That was quite a Fate pack...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

It's pronounced Team America.

Hymn really only shows up in Shardless BUG and Jund but it was the first example of a 1 card play that would invite you to find duals to cast your other spells sometime.

Team America isn't BUG Delver. And Hymn is in BUG Delver sometimes. :goonsay:

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Only got to do one prerelease, but it was fun and at the ChannelFireball Gamecenter. Thankfully a minimum of fedoras, but I did get seated next to two guys arguing about Bolas' spark and how it's not canon because... something.

Went Ojutai, which seems kind of janky this block. Half the cards are either bolster or exploit, neither of which really synergize with the clan. It seems to be lacking enough of a card pool to have much of its own identity.

Ended up going 2-2. Dropped one because I mulled to 4 twice in a row without seeing more than 1 land, which finished the match for me 3 minutes in. Dropped the other because w/u removal is primarily pacifism/reduce in stature, which works not at all against exploit.

Still, I think this promises to be an interesting format. Removal is much more at hand and the commons/uncommons have a pretty high power curve, which should help temper half the rares being a big fuckoff flier and the bombyness of FRF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Who's crushing who? Is it the cheater or the friend of a friend? I want to know if I should feel vindicated or outraged in this tale, all seriousness here.

• Locked thread