Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PCOS Bill posted:

Nope. With my big scraper bar it takes about 20 seconds to do the whole windshield, and maybe 10 seconds for the rear glass. No chemicals needed.

Hmm, must be that my scraper in inferior, i never get it clear that fast. Effort..

xzzy posted:

Clearing off the car manually gives the engine some time to warm up and start producing heat. It's a good way to keep your blood moving instead of just shivering. Plus you aren't in the car belching warm moist air into a cold environment and fogging the poo poo out of the windows.

I'm so glad my van has an air dryer in the HVAC system to stop this. It also means it dumps hot air much faster than normal. My car's 1.9-litre diesel engine takes forever to warm up in the winter, you could easily go 30-45 mins without it reaching temp, so no benefit there or letting it run while you clear the ice off. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

I'm so glad my van has an air dryer in the HVAC system to stop this. It also means it dumps hot air much faster than normal. My car's 1.9-litre diesel engine takes forever to warm up in the winter, you could easily go 30-45 mins without it reaching temp, so no benefit there or letting it run while you clear the ice off. :(

Sounds like someone needs to zip tie some cardboard to the front grille. :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

xzzy posted:

Sounds like someone needs to zip tie some cardboard to the front grille. :v:

Usually take the bottom grille off and block it off with duct tape. Does improve it, but it still takes a long time to reach temp. Silly cars! Doesn't have heated seats either. :(

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

This was the first winter of never having to clean snow off my Jeep and it rules so hard. Attached garage at home and covered parking at work. Game changer.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i just start my car remotely and go back to drinking coffee and watching tv?????

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

go3 posted:

i just start my car remotely and go back to drinking coffee and watching tv?????

Get out of here with your fancy new car :colbert:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Garage at home, full of woodworking stuff and tools and spare wheels/tires and the motorcycle and....

Doesn't leave much room for parking the cars in

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

go3 posted:

Remote start systems are illegal here. :(

Some bullshit about leaving a running vehicle unattended. The official offence is "quitting" and is subject to a £30 fine. (apparently)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
My "ice scraper" is a plastic pie/cake knife I dug out of my kitchen junk drawer...

Luckily it only snows/ices like once a year here and I ain't driving anywhere if the roads are icy anyway. :v:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I use a sno-brum and a separate scraper + brush. Works great, push the majority of the snow off with the broom and do the windows and such with the scraper + brush.

I keep them on the floor in the back seat during the winter and the trunk during the summer. Still got my winter tires on too, had a little bit of snow on Saturday but I think that's probably the last of it for this year. Finally time to put the summer wheels back on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Remote start systems are illegal here. :(

Some bullshit about leaving a running vehicle unattended. The official offence is "quitting" and is subject to a £30 fine. (apparently)
If it's on your driveway you're ok.

One of the reasons for me buying the Zoe is that, as well as having full heating ability the instant you get in it, you can turn the climate control on remotely (or set it on a timer). I come out the house on an icy morning to a warm, defrosted car.

A separate heater unit for a petrol or diesel car would achieve the same end, mind.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh so we have the occasional snow to the end of March, and lately it's not been snowing until into November so it's not quite as bad as up where you are. I make full use of my hatch regularly in the summer though so I like to not have my brush in the way every time I fill it up.

It's snowing right now :(

An 'SUV' brush like the one PCOS Bill has is one of the best things I've bought for my car. Takes me less than 2 minutes to clear the whole car off.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It sure is fun watching you guys try to dig yourselves out of a snowy hell while I'm out on the rivers already getting sunburned.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speaking of sharing the road with people. I left work quite late tonight so light traffic on I-10, was cruising along at about 80mph (65 limit? What's that?). A small older import hatchback of some sort went zooming by at about 90'ish.. with 3 stupidly oversized shiny wheels with super low profile tires, and one tiny donut spare. Totally not a disaster waiting to happen as he zoomed down the freeway with one corner of the car 6" lower than the opposite corner on a 50mph limit temporary spare.

Sadly, the looming disaster didn't happen in the 30 seconds or so that he was in the view of my dash cam.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And... it snowed this evening. Good thing I needed to drive the car today or I would have come out disgruntled at a snow covered bike/world.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
People on i76 and i80 between Denver and about an hour west of Des Moines loving rock at highway driving. No left lane hogs, no blinker ignorance, and just... general courtesy. I was amazed.

Chicago drivers more than made up for it, I saw a bunch of tank commanders today. There were probably half a dozen cars off the road along i88 eastbound, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been in Kolkata on a business for a couple of days now, and holy poo poo traffic is hilarious and scary and amazing, all at the same time.

Our driver is quite proficient at dealing with the chaos, and the car has been blessed, so we'll be fine. But I do get a bit worried when he dives straight in front of a bus on a downhill slope while jamming the brakes to hit our exit.

"Time is money, but life is precious" and similar slogans are printed on signs by the side of the road, and while they did seem silly in the begnning, I now consider them prophetic. I will never complain about Danish traffic ever again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Almost took out a bicyclist on my way home. :cripes:

A bicyclist wearing dark clothing on a bike with no (front, only rear) lights or (any) reflectors at 10:30pm. :argh: Looked twice before pulling out, heard WHOAWHOAWHOA and watched him almost eat my fender. :doh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

Chicago drivers more than made up for it, I saw a bunch of tank commanders today. There were probably half a dozen cars off the road along i88 eastbound, too.

Yep, whenever the wife and I roadtrip out west the drive back is a complete joy until we cross into Illinois and I'm instantly assaulted by the collective idiocy of the drivers here. Shitbrains cruising in the left lane, unable to maintain a constant speed, incapable of signaling a lane change. My blood pressure instantly rises.

Everything I hate about this state and had spent a vacation forgetting about comes crashing back in about five minutes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
STI in it's natural habitat - halfway through a shop window in Lower Hutt

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
it wasn't a ram raid?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Here is a person we share the road with.

http://www.katu.com/news/investigators/Court-doc--Driver-recorded-video-of-son-just-before-crash-that-injured-teens-296943071.html

This woman hits three teens in a crosswalk while filming her child in the back seat. Thankfully, the teens all survived, but with injuries.

KATU.com posted:

“(Dove) is holding the phone with her left hand and was making gestures at times with her right hand,”

Then there is a 6-second video of the phone bouncing on the front passenger seat.
“Dove is panicked and there is a child crying in the background,” Shoen wrote.

In the 10 minutes before the crash, Dove was talking on the phone for about seven minutes, then sent five text messages and received one, according to the affidavit. After the last text, Dove started recording video about 30 seconds later.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 24, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Almost took out a bicyclist on my way home. :cripes:

A bicyclist wearing dark clothing on a bike with no (front, only rear) lights or (any) reflectors at 10:30pm. :argh: Looked twice before pulling out, heard WHOAWHOAWHOA and watched him almost eat my fender. :doh:

What a coincidence, I saw an idiot biker almost get splattered last night.

I was coming in and I saw this idiot look at the direction I was coming, and started to cross the street, in front of me. I braked and he crossed my lane without any problems.

The thing is, he didn't look at the other direction when he started to cross the other lane, and almost entered the lane in front of a car that showed up and was already up to speed.

The stupider part is that except for me and the other car, the street was completely empty, and yet he managed to cross in the front of both cars.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was going down the road going about 50 in a 45 and this van goes rocketing past me. I eventually catch up because of traffic and this guy is driving super aggressively, darting from one lane to another with no turn signal, sudden acceleration and hard breaking. The guy (looks to be in his 70s) gets stuck behind someone doing the limit and I end up along side him. I need to get over because my turn is coming up and he blocks me, going so far as driving in the middle of both lanes so I cannot pass him, though I do get by eventually despite his best efforts. His response is to pull more boneheaded driving maneuvers just to break check me and rocket off into the distance after teaching me my lesson (I guess?). Later that day I see the same drat van outside a strip mall and leave him a sticky note.

"Peace and Love,

the Corolla you break checked"

Figured an rear end in a top hat like him would be more incensed by something non aggressive. If he was pissed because I was speeding, he was doing at least 10 over what I was. If he didn't like my lane changing he was more reckless and didn't even use his signals. All the old people I see are dangerous because they are inattentive or so out of it they have no business driving, this dude was anomaly.

:iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope you included the typo and he's a retired english teacher or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EightBit posted:

It sure is fun watching you guys try to dig yourselves out of a snowy hell while I'm out on the rivers already getting sunburned.

Joke's on you, fresh snow is pretty drat reflective so if it's clear and sunny after a storm those of us in snow land can get sunburned while digging ourselves out. Wait......

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

HardDisk posted:

What a coincidence, I saw an idiot biker almost get splattered last night.

I was coming in and I saw this idiot look at the direction I was coming, and started to cross the street, in front of me. I braked and he crossed my lane without any problems.

The thing is, he didn't look at the other direction when he started to cross the other lane, and almost entered the lane in front of a car that showed up and was already up to speed.

The stupider part is that except for me and the other car, the street was completely empty, and yet he managed to cross in the front of both cars.

We are the cyclists. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Murphys Law posted:

Here is a person we share the road with.

http://www.katu.com/news/investigators/Court-doc--Driver-recorded-video-of-son-just-before-crash-that-injured-teens-296943071.html

This woman hits three teens in a crosswalk while filming her child in the back seat. Thankfully, the teens all survived, but with injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfhS7meOZJw

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fo3 posted:

it wasn't a ram raid?

Nope, just showing off in front of some school girls apparently.

It was a Cash Converters anyway - probably not the most lucrative target.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

sleepy.eyes posted:

Was going down the road going about 50 in a 45 and this van goes rocketing past me. I eventually catch up because of traffic and this guy is driving super aggressively, darting from one lane to another with no turn signal, sudden acceleration and hard breaking. The guy (looks to be in his 70s) gets stuck behind someone doing the limit and I end up along side him. I need to get over because my turn is coming up and he blocks me, going so far as driving in the middle of both lanes so I cannot pass him, though I do get by eventually despite his best efforts. His response is to pull more boneheaded driving maneuvers just to break check me and rocket off into the distance after teaching me my lesson (I guess?). Later that day I see the same drat van outside a strip mall and leave him a sticky note.

"Peace and Love,

the Corolla you break checked"

Figured an rear end in a top hat like him would be more incensed by something non aggressive. If he was pissed because I was speeding, he was doing at least 10 over what I was. If he didn't like my lane changing he was more reckless and didn't even use his signals. All the old people I see are dangerous because they are inattentive or so out of it they have no business driving, this dude was anomaly.

:iiam:

Brakes go on cars. Sometimes brakes break, but if that happens you won't be doing any braking, but possibly breaking.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was creeping up through traffic to an intersection and this lady was waiting to enter the road. I stopped to let her in, and she pulled out straight blocking my whole lane because apparently she was making a left turn that she was not signaling for.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Crossposting myself from the schadenfreude thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZC7LgGuAA

Buffalo News posted:

A 46-year-old Buffalo pickup truck driver was arrested by the State Police Monday on a felony charge related to an alleged road rage incident on the Niagara Thruway last week.

On the I-190 northbound near Clinton Street about 2 p.m. Thursday, police said, James J. Woelfle allegedly stopped his vehicle and threw a heavy object at the window of another vehicle.

Woelfle is charged with a class D felony count of first-degree reckless endangerment which carries a possible prison term of up to seven years. He faces arraignment in Buffalo City Court Tuesday. State Police said their investigation of the incident is continuing and anyone with information about it may contact State Police Investigator John McCusker at 716-935-6570.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/buffalo/buffalo-driver-arrested-in-i-190-road-rage-incident-20150323

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Of course it's a shitheel in a brodozer

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yeah, yeah. I post from my phone and it autocorrects.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Must be something in the air.

Visiting my folks in Phoenix and I almost squished a bicyclist going the wrong way down a one way street, on the sidewalk.

I think drivers in phoenix also enjoy tailgating as a sport.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sorta related, I went to high school these assholes:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19910723&id=nbUyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wBIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6846,5148490&hl=en

From 1991. It was a national news story at the time. I guess you could say I was "friends" with one of them, though mostly through other people. You can pick your friends, but not your friend's friends. He could never, ever be trusted. He was one of those guys who convinced himself he was an amazing drunk driver, even in high school, and yes even after "accidentally" murdering someone. Fast forward 20 years and he suddenly starts showing up again at high-school-friend functions. He drives a BMW, is married, has kids, and has a good sales job. My friends tell me how he has changed and is successful now, I nod politely while my thoughts say "bullshit". I didn't have to wait long to be proven correct, back in December 2013 he was driving drunk and while attempting to flee from the police wound up smashing up a few of their cars, got tased, and is now facing several felonies. Turns out most of his home life was a lie, he was drowning in debt and had been lying to his wife and family about a great many things.

I guess the point of my story is there's a lot of loving sociopathic assholes driving BMW's.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Tonight I sat behind a car in the right turn lane of an intersection for a full two minutes without a single car passing the other direction. No signs of them reading, using their phone, or any other distractions. Just sitting there behind the white line waiting for the green light. Got there as soon as it turned red, and it was on a road crossing a major N/S thoroughfare through a university campus directly adjacent to the hospital, explaining the length of the light.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Must be something in the air.

Visiting my folks in Phoenix and I almost squished a bicyclist going the wrong way down a one way street, on the sidewalk.

I think drivers in phoenix also enjoy tailgating as a sport.

Come to sunny baltimore where not only do illegal packs of dirt bike riders do not follow any sort of traffic laws, but will also even beat you to a pulp if they run into you (should have stopped at your green light).

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Kanish posted:

Come to sunny baltimore where not only do illegal packs of dirt bike riders do not follow any sort of traffic laws, but will also even beat you to a pulp if they run into you (should have stopped at your green light).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV864uSvZtI

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What the gently caress is that poo poo, and is it wrong that I want everyone involved to die?