Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I want the Ricktatorship to show these pissant Alexandrians how to run a proper settlement. The prison was doing loving fantastic (aside from natural causes like the flu, and even then that was properly handled with quarantine and elimination of possible viral sources like the pigs) until they came up against a goddamn tank. Rick should have had Sasha remove the suppressor from that rifle or the show have her take it off herself (I know he had no idea she was plinking walkers, but bear with me) to let the gunshots punctuate Rick's crazy speech about how dangerous the world is out there and how if they want to survive, they need to :getin:

Alternatively, instead of going Full Shane, just have Rick scream "HE BEATS HIS WIFE UNCONSCIOUS" over and over again until they get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I want the Ricktatorship to show these pissant Alexandrians how to run a proper settlement. The prison was doing loving fantastic (aside from natural causes like the flu, and even then that was properly handled with quarantine and elimination of possible viral sources like the pigs) until they came up against a goddamn tank. Rick should have had Sasha remove the suppressor from that rifle or the show have her take it off herself (I know he had no idea she was plinking walkers, but bear with me) to let the gunshots punctuate Rick's crazy speech about how dangerous the world is out there and how if they want to survive, they need to :getin:

The prison post Woodbury was no longer a ricktatorship, it was a democracy. That was the big hooplah before the coup, that people cant do it alone anymore, that they would all vote.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
My only blah @ the whole Wife Beating thing is the complete lack of "Oh she fell down some stairs" "Oh that clutz tripped into the doorknob lol" bruises on her. I'm aware they can be hidden or clothed, but if she's being savagely beaten to the point of unconsciousness you'd think there'd be just a little something visible. Especially when they have everyone all grimy and bruised all the time, but in her case she's pristine and scarless.

That said I love that when he was beating down Pete he shoved CORRRRRRRRRAL away rough as hell. If anything that kind of surprised me more than anything, but then I read the comics. I can't really think of a time Rick's ever shoved Carl aside like that in either forms of media. Usually if anything Carl's the compass he uses to measure whether he's getting jaded, or if Carl is becoming a little poo poo, and then proceeds to reign himself or Carl back and try to get everything under control/balanced again.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Reivur posted:

My only blah @ the whole Wife Beating thing is the complete lack of "Oh she fell down some stairs" "Oh that clutz tripped into the doorknob lol" bruises on her. I'm aware they can be hidden or clothed, but if she's being savagely beaten to the point of unconsciousness you'd think there'd be just a little something visible. Especially when they have everyone all grimy and bruised all the time, but in her case she's pristine and scarless.

That said I love that when he was beating down Pete he shoved CORRRRRRRRRAL away rough as hell. If anything that kind of surprised me more than anything, but then I read the comics. I can't really think of a time Rick's ever shoved Carl aside like that in either forms of media. Usually if anything Carl's the compass he uses to measure whether he's getting jaded, or if Carl is becoming a little poo poo, and then proceeds to reign himself or Carl back and try to get everything under control/balanced again.

My girlfriend is a seriously clumsy person and manages to injure/bruise herself almost once a week. She has hit her head on car doors, somehow injured herself with a washcloth, cut her hand open with a food processor blade, has a myriad of bruises on her legs and such. I worry constantly that people are going to think I'm a woman beater but it really is just that she's klutzy as all hell :(

GrAviTy84 posted:

The prison post Woodbury was no longer a ricktatorship, it was a democracy. That was the big hooplah before the coup, that people cant do it alone anymore, that they would all vote.

True, but I like to think that Rick has learned how to be an effective totalitarian leader (since even authoritarians have advisers!) and could definitely handle Alexandria. At the very least those people need to be armed and trained with their seemingly limitless supply of ammunition.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I like how even though Rick's been out being a road warrior wrecking zombies and cannibals for a couple years or whatever, he still barely manages to not get his poo poo kicked in by some drunk doctor from pussytown.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

I like how even though Rick's been out being a road warrior wrecking zombies and cannibals for a couple years or whatever, he still barely manages to not get his poo poo kicked in by some drunk doctor from pussytown.

In the comic Rick's fighting style tends to consist of getting the poo poo beat out of him until his opponent gets winded from bashing in his skull. He then proceeds to win after they're tuckered out. I'm not even sure if I'm being sarcastic.

Though to be fair he's missing a hand in the comic so being a "poor" fighter is sorta legit. Very sad the Tyreese Vs. Rick fight never happened, that could have been a blast.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Reivur posted:

In the comic Rick's fighting style tends to consist of getting the poo poo beat out of him until his opponent gets winded from bashing in his skull. He then proceeds to win after they're tuckered out. I'm not even sure if I'm being sarcastic.

Though to be fair he's missing a hand in the comic so being a "poor" fighter is sorta legit. Very sad the Tyreese Vs. Rick fight never happened, that could have been a blast.

It did. After Carol killed Karen.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think that's a bit much. I mean it's obviously there. Rick is obviously attracted to Jessie and is conflicted about how much of this is about that and how much is just about doing what's right. But Shane was on the flip side of things. Shane did things that were selfish and then rationalized them as necessary. Rick knows that dealing with Pete is necessary and has had all the proper discussions with Carol and Deanna about it, but the fact that it also feeds into his selfish desires is troubling. And it's clearly troubling him.

Shane never actually questioned himself or worried about his motivations.

I don't know, Rick certainly didn't seem that conflicted to me especially after he nearly pulled a gun on Pete's back before he even found out about the beatings. I believe even without the abuse revelation, Rick would have still found some way to kill Pete anyway because that's how unhinged and far down the rabbit hole he has gone. And he would have found a reason to justify it just as Shane did. They both think they are saving their unhappy damsels in distress.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

It did. After Carol killed Karen.

Did it...? Huh. I guess the comic version was just more memorable to me. Which is odd, I tend to prefer cinematography by far and definitely saw that season more recently than the book. >_>
Though it was excessively violent in the comic, especially knocking off the railing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
lol, that episode ended so awesome with Michone just knocking Rick the gently caress out mid-sentence of his crazy survivalist rant.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Noirex posted:

I don't know, Rick certainly didn't seem that conflicted to me especially after he nearly pulled a gun on Pete's back before he even found out about the beatings. I believe even without the abuse revelation, Rick would have still found some way to kill Pete anyway because that's how unhinged and far down the rabbit hole he has gone. And he would have found a reason to justify it just as Shane did. They both think they are saving their unhappy damsels in distress.

I interpret his initial reactions to Pete as him reading problems from the start. Whether you want to see it as some kind of "cop instinct" that let him see signs like Carol did or this new world survival instinct that has him on the look out for dangers and predators, I think Rick sized Pete up and saw a threat. I think he may have even already suspected him of abusing Jessie when Carol confirmed it. After all his first encounter with Pete was Pete's uncomfortably agressive "my wife gave you a haircut" thing in the middle of the night. I know I immediately had my suspicions with Pete from that moment on, although I have the luxury of knowing its a TV show so things happen for a narrative reason.

Now of corpse you could interpret it differently. You could see him as just seeing Pete as a rival and the guy standing between him and what he wants and that he simply took Carol's revelation as justification. I think that's open to interpretation. And there's obviously SOME of that in play. Rick did reach for his gun that time. He did have to restrain himself from shooting Pete that night. He admitted to Jessie he wouldn't be doing this for someone else (which I don't actually believe is true, but I think it speaks to Ricks's conflict). Obviously Rick is on the brink and this whole episode was him teetering back and forth.

But the whole episode was him restraining himself from taking that leap into Shane land. He spoke to Deanna and his first plan was simply "seperate them". He WANTED to do the right thing even if his instincts were telling him to just take Pete out. He tried to get Jessie to just leave or just walk Pete out. Rick was basically trying to handle this correctly even though he was clearly heavily tempted to take the easy road. It was instead Deanna, Jessie, and Pete's refusals to go about it the right way that kept pushing him back to that bad instinct.

But like, let's go back to when he told Jessie he wouldn't be helping someone else. Does anyone believe that? Does anyone thing the Rick we've seen risk his life for strangers over and over would do what Deanna did and just turn a blind eye to Jessie being abused if he wasn't attracted ti her? I thought that exchange summed up the situation well. Jessie doesn't know Rick so she really doesn't know if he's just trying to help or if this is another abusive rear end in a top hat trying to claim her. And Rick is conflicted enough with his attraction and motivations that he doubts himself. But we've seen the guy risk his life for Merle, upset all his friends to give Herschell the benefit of the doubt, take in Woodbury refuges and try and make peace with the Governor, banish Carol for killing people, and plenty of other stuff. Rick would have done something even if Jessie was ugly and mean. He probably even would have had the same "just kill Pete and be done with it" instincts. But the fact that he's clearly into Jessie complicates the whole situation for us and him.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

STAC Goat posted:

Now of corpse you could interpret it differently.

Awesome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sometimes autocorrect is a gift.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

STAC Goat posted:

But like, let's go back to when he told Jessie he wouldn't be helping someone else. Does anyone believe that?

I don't think we are supposed to believe that Rick wouldn't care if Glenn physically abused Maggie all the time, or Abraham abused his woman. At first I thought this was bad writing but then I thought about it and maybe this was Rick's easy way of telling her that he is attracted to her.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Reivur posted:

That was definitely meant to be a Moment. A few seconds before that Pete smacked his wife away from trying to split them up too, at that point Rick and Pete would both make Captain America cry.

It's definitely frustrating that Rick didn't even mention that their faux-civilisation brushing spousal abuse under that carpet completely invalidates it as a peaceful status quo.

So what's the break down for next episode? Michonne and Abe will presumably back staying in the compound, but won't have Rick's back. Glenn and Carol will want to stay and will argue for Rick being in the right too. Sasha wants out, and Gabriel wants all of them except him out. Pete wants Rick and Carol out, Deanna will probably value a surgeon over an unreliable lawman and want just Rick gone. That one prick will want them all gone, especially Glenn. gently caress knows where Maggie, Jessie, architect-husband and Eugene will come down.

Seems like a hung jury, at least until Daryl and 'drastically overstated how competent Alexandria is' Aaron come back with a convenient outside threat.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Rick/Surgeon fighting scene would have been better with 99 Red Balloons playing in the background

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I don't think we are supposed to believe that Rick wouldn't care if Glenn physically abused Maggie all the time, or Abraham abused his woman. At first I thought this was bad writing but then I thought about it and maybe this was Rick's easy way of telling her that he is attracted to her.

Right, I'm not saying it was bad writing or that we're supposed to believe Rick would let someone get abused if he wasn't into them. I'm saying that Rick's self aware enough to recognize that his attraction is influencing things and he's hard enough on himself that he questions if he'd do this for someone else. We know he would. Carol and Daryl and Glenn and the rest know he would. But Rick is hosed up and doesn't really know if he would. Especially since he's probably self aware enough to see the Shane comparison we all see.

Vitamin P posted:

Seems like a hung jury, at least until Daryl and 'drastically overstated how competent Alexandria is' Aaron come back with a convenient outside threat.
Yeah, I think Aaron and Daryl are the key here, and whoever it is they're tracking. Aaron is one of the few people in Alexandria who understand how harsh and evil the world is. He vetted and vouched for Rick's group and its probably a pretty big procedural failure that he didn't stick around to help mediate issues between the two groups through their growing pain stage (just as its a gigantic procedural failure to put Rick, Glenn, Abe, Sasha, and others in so many key positions so quickly and THEN question their motivations and stability).

My guess is Aaron will show up at the pivotal moment and basically argue that Rick's right and his group may be rough around the edges but Alexandria is soft. He should have been there all along putting out fires if Alexandria actually had a good system. But one thing I'm not sure the show addressed but the comic did was that Alexandria's never let in a group the size of Rick's before. Its always just been 1 or 2 stragglers. They weren't prepared for such a dramatic population shift and so many new voices all at once.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

STAC Goat posted:

But one thing I'm not sure the show addressed but the comic did was that Alexandria's never let in a group the size of Rick's before.
This show doesn't have the best writing but I'm pretty sure if there were another dozen outside folks inside the walls who had come in together at some point we would have met them by now.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

STAC Goat posted:

But like, let's go back to when he told Jessie he wouldn't be helping someone else. Does anyone believe that?

We know that Rick is the type who would help someone just because it's the right thing to do (even though he has other motivations in this case) but maybe he thought it was what she wanted to hear. She doesn't want help when he first brings it up but when it became "you're someone special" instead of "this is the right thing to do" then she agreed to it.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was half expecting Sasha to miss one of the walkers and take out one of the support beams.

lead bullets can't rupture steel beams

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Neon Knight posted:

Seriously, couldn't he just yell that in the street to not look crazy? That would make it pretty clear what is going on and get people on his side and willing to question Deanna. Nope, instead he rambles vague poo poo about survival and looks crazy.

There's like, forty people in that town, tops. You think they don't all know already? Deanna does. Bigger small towns before the zombie apocalypse are all up on each other's poo poo, these guys know everyone's dirty little secrets. They have all weighed having an rear end in a top hat surgeon who beats his wife vs. having no surgeon at all and made their choice by turning a blind eye to it. Though honestly, given how they leave each other to die at the slightest hint of danger I can't really see where he's been getting work.

That said, Rick lost all moral authority when he told that chick that he wouldn't have done it for anyone in her situation, just her. gently caress Rick and his desire for hot blonde poon. 'Sorry, if you looked like Carol, I'd turn a blind eye too. I might get appendicitis some day you know.'

quote:

We know that Rick is the type who would help someone just because it's the right thing to do (even though he has other motivations in this case) but maybe he thought it was what she wanted to hear. She doesn't want help when he first brings it up but when it became "you're someone special" instead of "this is the right thing to do" then she agreed to it.
Except for the time he left that hitchhiker to rot, and picked up his bloodstained backpack later after zombies got him. And tied up Aaron and repeatedly threatened to kill him horribly.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 23, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Rick loses his mind too much to be a good leader. Carol should be leader with Rick just in charge of external security.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oracle posted:

There's like, forty people in that town, tops. You think they don't all know already? Deanna does. Bigger small towns before the zombie apocalypse are all up on each other's poo poo, these guys know everyone's dirty little secrets. They have all weighed having an rear end in a top hat surgeon who beats his wife vs. having no surgeon at all and made their choice by turning a blind eye to it. Though honestly, given how they leave each other to die at the slightest hint of danger I can't really see where he's been getting work.

That said, Rick lost all moral authority when he told that chick that he wouldn't have done it for anyone in her situation, just her. gently caress Rick and his desire for hot blonde poon. 'Sorry, if you looked like Carol, I'd turn a blind eye too. I might get appendicitis some day you know.'

Am I the only one who thinks Carol looks pretty hot? shrug

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm actually super excited for the spin-off series. My favorite part of apocalyptic fiction is the very beginning, when everything is just going to poo poo. The survival part is fun and all, but I absolutely love for the medium to explore the breakdown in society with the ensuing panic and inevitable failed government response. Setting it in LA will be a fun way to see how the outbreak spreads through the sprawl, pushing the organized resistance further and further back.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

joeburz posted:

lead bullets can't rupture steel beams

vanflip.gif

HonorableTB posted:

I'm actually super excited for the spin-off series. My favorite part of apocalyptic fiction is the very beginning, when everything is just going to poo poo. The survival part is fun and all, but I absolutely love for the medium to explore the breakdown in society with the ensuing panic and inevitable failed government response. Setting it in LA will be a fun way to see how the outbreak spreads through the sprawl, pushing the organized resistance further and further back.

Have you read World War Z? If not you should check it out.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Pretty good ep I think. They'll have to get a new sheriff though, Rick is too fudged up to do it.

From the preview it looks like they move forward with the Wolves poo poo. I'm kinda hoping all the torso collecting is for either the Wolves putting them into rows all facing in one direction while someone gives speeches to them, serving as an audience, or they have a catapult and use them as ammo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe the Wolves and the Whisperers are in a war to find out who gets to use the 'W' trademark as their brand

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
Actually it's a sidewise E, Enid's been tagging.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

And its sideways because things are about to go sideways :tinfoil:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

HonorableTB posted:

My girlfriend is a seriously clumsy person and manages to injure/bruise herself almost once a week. She has hit her head on car doors, somehow injured herself with a washcloth, cut her hand open with a food processor blade, has a myriad of bruises on her legs and such. I worry constantly that people are going to think I'm a woman beater but it really is just that she's klutzy as all hell :(

You know this is a passport to doing all the spousal abuse you could ever dream of right? just sayin is all.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I for one approve of the judicious use of elbows rather than punches lately. Far more damage done to your opponent and far less likely to injure yourself :goonsay:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

HonorableTB posted:

I have a friend who does roller derby and bruises easily. Awhile back, she had to take a friend of hers to the hospital a few days after a rather rough bout. One of the nurses pulled her aside to try to intervene in her "clearly violent living situation"

I wish I could have heard that conversation.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Dryb posted:

Actually it's a sidewise E, Enid's been tagging.

And what's the first thing Enid does when she sits down with Carl? Pull out a big fuckin' knife and do a little whittling. :ohdear:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

delfin posted:

And what's the first thing Enid does when she sits down with Carl? Pull out a big fuckin' knife and do a little whittling. :ohdear:

comicswords
oh poo poo she never did outright say her mom died. Could very well be whisperer setup

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

GrAviTy84 posted:

it's so much shorter in the comics iirc. maybe it just felt that way because it was there and over in like one issue. Also Rick never pulls the gun on Douglas it was like, shown tucked into his boot or something and Douglas sees it and says basically what someone else said "you didn't use it which shows you have restraint" and basically allows rick to carry a gun from then on. Basically, I'm frustrated that they're making Rick out to be a sociopath and Deanna out to be an ignorant idiot when Douglas is way more realistic and Rick in the comics is in control all the time.
Pretty sure he did.

Unknowable Hole fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 24, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You're right, reread that issue, my bad. I was reading these through so quickly I think I just wasnt paying attention the first time. It's pretty much verbatim as the comics.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 24, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like how for two communities in a row, their most salient dirty secret is abuse of women. It's a women in refrigerators thing.
I guess in a way it's only realistic, as the physically weaker sex historically suffers disproportionally more under less civilised conditions (baring outright warfare), but it's still lazy storytelling.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I don't like how for two communities in a row, their most salient dirty secret is abuse of women. It's a women in refrigerators thing.
I guess in a way it's only realistic, as the physically weaker sex historically suffers disproportionally more under less civilised conditions (baring outright warfare), but it's still lazy storytelling.

Terminus abused women? I thought they just ate everyone equally.

edit:
Oh I guess the terminus people were abused by interlopers.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 24, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GrAviTy84 posted:

Terminus abused women? I thought they just ate everyone equally.

edit:
Oh I guess the terminus people were abused by interlopers.
Oh, that actually almost makes 3 if you consider Terminus' secret is basically again about sexual violence.

The one before was the hospital though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Oh, that actually almost makes 3 if you consider Terminus' secret is basically again about sexual violence.

The one before was the hospital though.

Woodbury, too. Governor TV rapes Maggie

I mean as much as it sucks to be bashed over the head with male privilege poo poo, as a male, I dont really think I am in a position to complain about it.

• Locked thread