Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

greatn posted:

That's kind of lovely. Don't punish the people of a state because they have an rear end in a top hat idiot governor.

Yeah, it's pretty hosed up and isn't going to help change things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spaceman Future! posted:

The only problem here is that I dont think any of the Climate Change Denial GOP set actually care if their state ends up a shambled hellhole or not, denying their state funds doesn't hurt them. Something something declared income, then they acknowledge climate change.

Florida at least is more than happy to bend over backwards for other federal non-Obamacare funds.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Florida at least is more than happy to bend over backwards for other federal non-Obamacare funds.

The entire GOP structure in Florida is based around denial because admitting that your swamp is going to become an oceanbed thanks to all the backwards poo poo youve been pushing is bad for buisness, if they back down now not only are they already at least partially responsible for the long term destruction of the state but they will also be less rich when they lose reelection, so gently caress disaster preparedness if something happens they'll just go on tv about how obama is denying them funds for political reasons and watch the money and support pour in any when FEMA immediately reverses course.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Don't worry guys smart home owners will have both flood and wind damage insurance. *house gets owned by floating debris*

poo poo...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Except for that time the government said "hey Rick Scott, would you like us to build you a 2 billion dollar rail system at no cost to you?" and he said "NO THAT'S COMMUNISM"

Still, they're going to blame Obama despite FEMA being run by the Illuminati.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spaceman Future! posted:

The only problem here is that I dont think any of the Climate Change Denial GOP set actually care if their state ends up a shambled hellhole or not, denying their state funds doesn't hurt them. Something something declared income, then they acknowledge climate change.

Part of the deal to get disaster relief is you plan ahead to mitigate disasters. That you chose to claim threats don't exist for political reasons isn't an excuse.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Don't worry guys smart home owners will have both flood and wind damage insurance. *house gets owned by floating debris*

poo poo...

If you live in Miami your best bet at this point is to lie on your forms and claim that your home is a houseboat, Id imagine that will get you better protections against future risks.

evilweasel posted:

Part of the deal to get disaster relief is you plan ahead to mitigate disasters. That you chose to claim threats don't exist for political reasons isn't an excuse.

And? Theyll just deny the preparedness funds and then demand them if a huricane is about to smack them in the face and they will get them anyway because Obama doesent want shades of Bush Katrina coloring the next election cycle.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The message of "the government denied our funds, people are dying and our homes are downriver now" is easier and more powerful than the opposing message of "you didn't plan properly so we didn't give you money".

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

... Just as a curiosity: other than Shakespeare and the Bible - which I am really opposed to calling an Anglo-Saxon cultural work given the history of the book...

The King James translation would qualify as an Anglo-Saxon cultural work, no? Between that and the Book of Common Prayer there are a lot of phrasings that have made it into everyday speech.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:ughh:

What in the world is this? How does a line of questioning in the Supreme loving Court even lead to it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Logikv9 posted:

The message of "the government denied our funds, people are dying and our homes are downriver now" is easier and more powerful than the opposing message of "you didn't plan properly so we didn't give you money".

The funds at issue are disaster preparedness funds, not the disaster relief funds (which, to be fair, I also garbled).

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

The only way this would work is if FEMA takes the money they are denying to the state and invests it into a massive ad campaign letting everyone know that their preparedness money is now being spent on this ad time and a bitchin lez zeplin royalty because your state decided you should die if theres a hurricane. Also send everyone hats that say "proud to live in pre flood atlantis, thanks GOP"

evilweasel posted:

The funds at issue are disaster preparedness funds, not the disaster relief funds (which, to be fair, I also garbled).

Which go to things like pumps. Something that Miami needs like yesterday since their entire sewer system is already flooded and backing up. In florida disaster preparedness funds are necessary bandaids for the long slow car wreck that is warming. Not giving a state like florida that money has immediate repercussions and not against the GOP.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 23, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spaceman Future! posted:

Which go to things like pumps. Something that Miami needs like yesterday since their entire sewer system is already flooded and backing up. In florida disaster preparedness funds are necessary bandaids for the long slow car wreck that is warming. Not giving a state like florida that money has immediate repercussions and not against the GOP.

People will blame the local government when their sewer system has problems, not the Feds.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

What in the world is this? How does a line of questioning in the Supreme loving Court even lead to it?

Texas did a good thing and denied giving some Confederate group their own license plate some time back. They sued. SCOTUS is hearing arguments on it today.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

evilweasel posted:

Gotcha. But after poo poo goes down, the blame game starts back up and every little gently caress-up from then back to infinity will be found and magnified. It's still an uphill climb for FEMA in terms of messaging.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

FEMA has come out and said it will not provide emergency funding to Governors who promote climate change denial:

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/18032015/fema-states-no-climate-planning-no-money

Wow, way to loving throw the gauntlet down at Rick Scott. This is awesome news for the country overall, not so awesome to people who live in Florida and aren't named Rick Scott.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

FEMA has come out and said it will not provide emergency funding to Governors who promote climate change denial:

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/18032015/fema-states-no-climate-planning-no-money

Can't wait to see Florida argue against climate change / global warming without being able to mention climate change / global warming :allears:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

greatn posted:

That's kind of lovely. Don't punish the people of a state because they have an rear end in a top hat idiot governor.

I don't really see what's wrong with it. If a state is not addressing climate change in disaster preparedness, then they're not really preparing for disaster; they're likely laundering federal money to contractors on meaningless bullshit projects.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jagchosis posted:

I don't really see what's wrong with it. If a state is not addressing climate change in disaster preparedness, then they're not really preparing for disaster; they're likely laundering federal money to contractors on meaningless bullshit projects.

Exactly, why should FEMA give funds to preparing for disasters to states who refuse to prepare for disasters?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

Yeah it's impossible for them to construct working defenses without acknowledging reality.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Sons of Confederacy so we can get 'gently caress U' vanity plates. Free Speech :911:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McDowell posted:

I really hope the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Sons of Confederacy so we can get 'gently caress U' vanity plates. Free Speech :911:

The Church of Satan is gonna be all over this.

I did think it was pretty funny that one of the Sons of the Confederacy argued, trying to show that the state already does pro-Confederate stuff, that the lawyers fighting this get Confederate Heroes Day off.

Confederate Heroes day is on the same day as what major national holiday, would you guess?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

The Church of Satan is gonna be all over this.

I did think it was pretty funny that one of the Sons of the Confederacy argued, trying to show that the state already does pro-Confederate stuff, that the lawyers fighting this get Confederate Heroes Day off.

Confederate Heroes day is on the same day as what major national holiday, would you guess?
It's MLK Day, I don't even need to guess

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

It's MLK Day, I don't even need to guess

Seems kind of petty doesn't it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

The south... being petty that it lost the War of Rebellion and 100 years later had to not be racist shits? :monocle:

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
That's actually not entirely fair-

Of the 9 states (guess them without Google everybody!) that recognize Confederate Heroes Day/Memorial Day/Decoration Day it's only Texas that ever overlaps with MLK Day. And Texas is on January 19th every year, so it's not an annual overlap.

It was also in place prior to Reagan signing MLK Day into existence. So if you need another case of unforgivable heresy for the Gipper, there you go.

eta: Obviously the two dates shouldn't coincide and Texas should move theirs (and should have the moment MLK Day was signed in). Just adding knowledge, because TMYK.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

There's a lot of weird stuff in there:

quote:

JUSTICE SCALIA:  Personally, I would rather have the license plates than the pyramids.  I don't know that we want to drive Texas to having pyramids.
MR. KELLER:  Justice Scalia, we also want to retain our license plates. 

quote:

JUSTICE GINSBURG:  So they could have the swastika.  And suppose somebody else says, I want to have "Jihad" on my license plate.  That's okay, too?
MR. GEORGE:  Vegan?
JUSTICE GINSBURG:  Jihad.
MR. GEORGE:  Yes.
JUSTICE GINSBURG:  That's okay?  And "Bong hits for Jesus"?
(Laughter.)
MR. GEORGE:  Yes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zoux posted:

Petty on the level of Virginia's Senate GOP members ramming through legislation when a black Democrat was attending Obama's inauguration.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tobermory posted:

Ginsburg owns so hard.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Geoff Peterson posted:

That's actually not entirely fair-

Of the 9 states (guess them without Google everybody!) that recognize Confederate Heroes Day/Memorial Day/Decoration Day it's only Texas that ever overlaps with MLK Day. And Texas is on January 19th every year, so it's not an annual overlap.

It was also in place prior to Reagan signing MLK Day into existence. So if you need another case of unforgivable heresy for the Gipper, there you go.

eta: Obviously the two dates shouldn't coincide and Texas should move theirs (and should have the moment MLK Day was signed in). Just adding knowledge, because TMYK.

I don't even think the confederate holiday should exist at all

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
New plates in Texas:

Bng4God

THC4God

SkDck4J

PndAz4J

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Warszawa posted:

Outside of New England it is pretty drastically curtailed, or was for me - Poe I'll give you, but I'm hesitant to call Twain a WASP (however, I'm not intimately acquainted with his biography and ancestry).

Having read Twain extensively i can say that he was certainly not a WASP in attitude. To the Person sitting in Darkness is basically an incredibly damning indictment of the imperial politics of the day, and The War Prayer reads like it was written about Iraq. To say nothing of the fact that Twain was about as open about his Atheism as he could get away with.

Also, he really really loving loathed Christians of all flavors.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Still, they're going to blame Obama despite FEMA being run by the Illuminati.

I see what you did there...

but yeah, the situation kind of sucks. I know FEMA wants these people to mitigate some of the damage from Global warming but they love using their citizens as a shield in order to protect business interests.

What a shame.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Tobermory posted:

Where did Scalia get pyramids from? I read the full text and still don't understand what he's talking about.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Venom Snake posted:

Exactly, why should FEMA give funds to preparing for disasters to states who refuse to prepare for disasters?

Because regardless of politics, disaster preparedness is a thing, and in many cases significantly mitigates non-Katrina-scale disasters. Disaster preparedness funding is far, far more efficient than disaster relief funding.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

karlor posted:

Where did Scalia get pyramids from? I read the full text and still don't understand what he's talking about.

One of the people arguing said Confederate stuff was tradition, scalia says "well pyramids were a tradition too".

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

One of the people arguing said Confederate stuff was tradition, scalia says "well pyramids were a tradition too".

That's his response to that line of reasoning? Truly the intellect needed to rise to supreme court justice is dizzying.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PhilippAchtel posted:

That's his response to that line of reasoning? Truly the intellect needed to rise to supreme court justice is dizzying.
He could have said "I smell burnt toast" and I would be less concerned about his brain health.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

karlor posted:

In context, it's also that everyone's arguing about Pleasant Grove City v. Summum. Summum is a weird UFO religion that wanted to put a privately-funded pyramid in a city park in Pleasant Grove. The city said no. Summum sued, on the grounds that the park already contained the Ten Commandments, so that favoring some religious monuments and blocking others counted as the government discriminating between religions. SCOTUS unanimously ruled against Summum basically on the grounds that permanent monuments are different from transient public speech.

The pyramid discussion is still stupid, but it's at least sort of topical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey, guess which violent, unhinged, murderous psychopath has decided Obama is to blame for everything and decided it would be a good idea to rant about this to a newspaper. Go on, guess

• Locked thread