Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Ted Cruz Boldly Declares Nation Not Deserving Of Better Candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Any way to check how much "Ready for Hillary" is donating to the Ted Cruz superpac?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

De Nomolos posted:

I swear there's a Jerry Fallwell quote about how Catholics are idolaters out there somewhere and I wish I could find it. Santorum and Cruz would rip each other apart.

I attended a Southern Baptist church where we regularly attended Liberty-sponsored events and were taught how to evangelize to Catholics. Even if he never said something about it in the open to protect his political power on the right, anti-Catholicism is definitely something that's a part of the American Baptist canon.

Then again, they did settle for a Mormon last time, though that one Perry surrogate let the official line on Mormonism (it's a false religion and a cult) slip.

Liberty is conservative Republican first, anything else second.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ted Cruz shut the government down and still can't exactly tell you why.

He is also a very viable candidate for the GOP presidential ticket.

Welcome to America :patriot:

Well he can't publicly say why, revealing it was all a popularity/fundraising stunt defeats the purpose.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

De Nomolos posted:

I swear there's a Jerry Fallwell quote about how Catholics are idolaters out there somewhere and I wish I could find it. Santorum and Cruz would rip each other apart.

I attended a Southern Baptist church where we regularly attended Liberty-sponsored events and were taught how to evangelize to Catholics. Even if he never said something about it in the open to protect his political power on the right, anti-Catholicism is definitely something that's a part of the American Baptist canon.

Then again, they did settle for a Mormon last time, though that one Perry surrogate let the official line on Mormonism (it's a false religion and a cult) slip.

Yeah, I really think that Santorum just lucked into being the runner-up by going hog loving wild in Iowa. What a strategy. You are dead on; if it comes down to Santorum trying to fight Cruz, (Since Huckabee is not taking this election seriously) I think Cruz will kick the poo poo out of Santorum for being Catholic, because it's the Baptist and Evangelical core that he has to pull, not the Catholics, who will vote for the pro-life Republican no matter what poo poo he's said about idolatry. Gotta save them fetuses.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CaptainCarrot posted:

That's an interesting 'fact' to focus on, since Romney actually got half a million votes more than McCain, while Obama lost about 4 million.

Hm. Well I'll have to look at numbers again, whatever the figures and math used I seem to distinctly remember the figure of "6 million conservative voters stayed home because we nominated Romney" being thrown around.

Yeah, and I think this was actually somewhat distinct from the analysis that looked strictly at going even harder and with greater purity with the white voters. That went something like "guys? guys? Forget about needing to make inroads with minority voters, I got some figures here that show that all we need is to wring the last little ribbon of white voter toothpaste out of the tube and we're fine!" and I thought it was promoted by sources not so marginal as VDARE.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What's interesting about 2016 is how a lot of candidates are basically knockoffs of the 2012 circus.

- Jeb Bush is basically Mitt Romney. He's the unbearably dull inevitability that makes people scream out for anybody else. Except he has the Bush name attached, which is poison to anyone not registered Republican, and also quite a few registered Republicans.
- Scott Walker is basically Rick Perry. Both are incredibly lovely governors, but the key difference between the two is that Scott Walker can't fall back on "THAT'S HOW WE ROLL IN THE LONE STAR STATE! YEE HAAAAW!"
- Ted Cruz is a Michelle Bachmann more palatable to the GOP base. He has a great speaking voice, and doesn't have crazy bug eyes.
- Mike Huckabee is an even shittier Rick Santorum. Both are die-hard theocrats, but as we've seen recently, Huckabee is also a straight-up scam artist.
- Rand Paul is Ron Paul. This one isn't hard at all, come on.
- Ben Carson is Herman Cain. Plenty in common. Both have no political experience, no idea about how things actually work, and of course, the only reason they're even slightly relevant to the Republican Primaries: they both love to eat pizza.
- Bobby Jindal is Tim Pawlenty because Iowa may as well be on the moon for him.

Now here is where things get messier.

In terms of voting record, Chris Christie is unquestionably the John Huntsman equivalent, while Marco Rubio is more comparable to Newt Gingrich. However, in terms of personality, Chris Christie is basically a perfect match to Newt Gingrich, as they are both unbelievable assholes and incredibly confrontational. Rubio isn't as perfect a match to Huntsman in terms of personality, but both do have that whole "amicable guy who is not the establishment" thing going for them, though Huntsman actually had the voting record to back up the narrative of him being The Only Sane Man.

Basically the 2016 Primaries are essentially going to be a remake of a movie that came out four years ago.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JEB is much more conservative than Romney ever was. Don't underestimate him.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Just for fun, I'm reading transcripts of the oral argument before the Supreme Court that Cruz participated in. They concern complex topics, and there are really no short snappy quotes of his you could put in a campaign ad. But it's still fun to imagine his voice saying:

quote:

MR. CRUZ:

But nothing in this Court's precedents or nothing in the principles behind the Eighth Amendment require a prisoner to believe the State's motivation. It is enough that he is able to prepare to die, and the central focus Justice Powell focused on was the ability to prepare oneself to die. Panetti knows he's going to be put to death.There's an exchange in the record with respect to one of his experts where he was talking about other executions. And in particular he goes through with Dr. Mary Alice Conroy on page 148 of the joint appendix, he's talking about what happens when other people are executed. And he says, you know, well, they go to be executed and then sometimes they get a stay, and when they get a stay they come back, and when they don't get a stay, well, then they go on either to be with the lord or someplace too horrible to talk about.

quote:

JUSTICE KENNEDY:

In your experience and in your present position, have you seen many condemned people with the symptoms as severe as this defendant?

MR. CRUZ:

We -- we have litigated cases where people have raised Ford claims. In fact one of the ones we recently litigated involved an individual who was convinced he was on death row and being executed because there was a conspiracy of Jews and homosexuals that was out to get them -- out to get him. That sort of delusion unfortunately is not uncommon on death row and it is not uncommon in prisons for paranoia...

Both from Panetti v. Quarterman, 551 U. S. 930 (2007)

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 23, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shageletic posted:

JEB is much more conservative than Romney ever was. Don't underestimate him.

Truth in this quote. JEB is the silken glove with the matte-black serrated knife concealed inside. He's relatively charming (for a republican) and relatively well-spoken, with a dash of minority appeal given his family and governorship. He's a goddamn snake and will sell the national parks to Russia if it meant a penny extra in his campaign fund.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

William Bear posted:

Both from Panetti v. Quarterman, 551 U. S. 930 (2007)

Isn't it Cruz's contention that the homosexuals are in fact conspiring to ruin America?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

In fact one of the ones we recently litigated involved an individual who was convinced he was on death row and being executed because there was a conspiracy of Jews and homosexuals that was out to get them -- out to get him. That sort of delusion unfortunately is not uncommon on death row and it is not uncommon in prisons for paranoia...

Hrmmm, yes as opposed to the FOX News headmaster who requested extra armor on his corner office because the gays were going to shoot RPG's at him. You know, the one who employed Glenn Beck back when Glenn was describing George Soros as a Jewish Nazi whose slippery tentacles puppet mastered the entire liberal world via his giant pile of money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's interesting about 2016 is how a lot of candidates are basically knockoffs of the 2012 circus.

- Jeb Bush is basically Mitt Romney. He's the unbearably dull inevitability that makes people scream out for anybody else. Except he has the Bush name attached, which is poison to anyone not registered Republican, and also quite a few registered Republicans.
- Scott Walker is basically Rick Perry. Both are incredibly lovely governors, but the key difference between the two is that Scott Walker can't fall back on "THAT'S HOW WE ROLL IN THE LONE STAR STATE! YEE HAAAAW!"
- Ted Cruz is a Michelle Bachmann more palatable to the GOP base. He has a great speaking voice, and doesn't have crazy bug eyes.
- Mike Huckabee is an even shittier Rick Santorum. Both are die-hard theocrats, but as we've seen recently, Huckabee is also a straight-up scam artist.
- Rand Paul is Ron Paul. This one isn't hard at all, come on.
- Ben Carson is Herman Cain. Plenty in common. Both have no political experience, no idea about how things actually work, and of course, the only reason they're even slightly relevant to the Republican Primaries: they both love to eat pizza.
- Bobby Jindal is Tim Pawlenty because Iowa may as well be on the moon for him.

Now here is where things get messier.

In terms of voting record, Chris Christie is unquestionably the John Huntsman equivalent, while Marco Rubio is more comparable to Newt Gingrich. However, in terms of personality, Chris Christie is basically a perfect match to Newt Gingrich, as they are both unbelievable assholes and incredibly confrontational. Rubio isn't as perfect a match to Huntsman in terms of personality, but both do have that whole "amicable guy who is not the establishment" thing going for them, though Huntsman actually had the voting record to back up the narrative of him being The Only Sane Man.

Basically the 2016 Primaries are essentially going to be a remake of a movie that came out four years ago.

Walker isn't Perry. He's smarter, a better politician and more evil.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mcmagic posted:

Walker isn't Perry. He's smarter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He looks like a fool but he didn't win THREE elections in a blue state and singlehandedly destroy the union movement in that state by accident.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

He looks like a fool but he didn't win THREE elections in a blue state and singlehandedly destroy the union movement in that state by accident.

Not by accident, no - he had some very wealthy people backing him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Not by accident, no - he had some very wealthy people backing him.

And they are going to stop backing him when he's running for president? BTW it's more than just that. He can appeal to both brands of the GOP and is able to hide his extremism better than pretty much any other republican candidate in front of a general electorate.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

William Bear posted:

That sort of delusion unfortunately is not uncommon on death row and it is not uncommon in prisons for paranoia...

Christ, isn't "that sort of delusion" a central plank of the GOP platform?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

And they are going to stop backing him when he's running for president? BTW it's more than just that. He can appeal to both brands of the GOP and is able to hide his extremism better than pretty much any other republican candidate in front of a general electorate.

He can spend as much money as he wants, it's not going to have much of an effect in the general.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

A presidential election is an entirely different beast. Sarah Palin won election to her governorship too. Walker has the charisma of a wet paper towel, and there are some things that money just cannot buy. Especially in this social media age.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I question walker's viability not for any policy reasons, but because his position in Wisconsin is so dependent on a very regionally-specific, hyper-specialized machine. I don't know how well he can fare without it (once his current Not-Jeb-of-the-month momentum fades) and doubt his ability to construct a national-level organization to match it.

He reminds me of all those old-timey dixiecrats who looked unbeatable with the state machinery behind them, but had no national viability to speak of and were never serious contenders at the national level. He doesn't have the benefit of a single-party system like most of those guys did, but I think he is in a similar situation w/r/t his indebtedness to local power brokers and his adeptness with the specific regional hot-buttons of the upper midwest.

He has (or used to have) a reputation as a social moderate, so he may have trouble competing in southern/western states where they vaguely hate unions for the sake of Team Identy Politics but don't really know what a union is or spend much time thinking about them. At the same time he is conservative enough that he might be unable to overcome more centrist or libertarian-inclined candidates on the coasts.

what I'm saying is I'll worry about the prospect of President Walker after I see him win a primary in a state that doesn't have a prairie

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Scott Walker is one of the most anti-union candidates there is, though. :confused:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

He can appeal to both brands of the GOP and is able to hide his extremism better than pretty much any other republican candidate in front of a general electorate.

Really? He's already stumbled over himself on the issues of evolution and abortion, and his attempt to claim experience in foreign policy was downright laughable.

I'm just not seeing anything particularly special about the guy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
He got the gubernatorial nomination by riding off of the local AM radio hosts in the Milwaukee area, from what I read.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

You can honestly chalk this up more to public opinion the Dem's running poo poo candidates.

Election One he went up against Tom Barrett, who isn't a particular charmer but was also in the election cycle where we voted out Russ Feingold for the blank slate that is Ron Johnson, so, eh. Anyone on the Republican ticket probably would have won.

Election Two (Recall!) the Dems ran... Tom Barret. Again. A lot of folks voted for him simply because they disagreed with the process or notion of a recall.

Election Three the Dems ran a unknown lady named Mary Burke who is an executive and member of the Madison school board. Man that sounds like good qualifications for a governor.

What I'm getting at is that Walker's never really ran against a strong opponent. The only reason he's been able to do anything in Wisconsin is that he has a super majority.

I'm really looking forward to watching him run for Pres cause he's gonna crash and burn so hard. He'll be this election year's Paul Ryan.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

PupsOfWar posted:

He doesn't have the benefit of a single-party system like most of those guys did, but I think he is in a similar situation w/r/t his indebtedness to local power brokers and his adeptness with the specific regional hot-buttons of the upper midwest.
I cannot be the only person looking forward to a vociferous challenge to the fishing license system & walleye bag limits finally getting attention on a national level.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

EatinCake posted:

I'm really looking forward to watching him run for Pres cause he's gonna crash and burn so hard. He'll be this election year's Paul Ryan.
Don't you mean Rick Perry?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Don't you mean Rick Perry?
Meant it more personally- I grew up in Ryan's hometown not to far from his house. He's like the city darling, and watching people actually demand to see (and critique) his policy on the national stage was incredibly satisfying.

But yeah, Rick Perry too.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
See, the key difference between Scott Walker and Paul Ryan is that we've actually seen Scott Walker's plan in action. And boy, are those results damning.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Scott Walker is one of the most anti-union candidates there is, though. :confused:

machine politics isn't all about unions. If it was then no Republican would ever win an election.

churches matter, volunteer and outreach programs matter, local mavens matter, county and municipal-level hierarchies matter, media - especially local media, in low-turnout elections - matters. All of these things can be bolted together into a state-level Republican machine. Scott Walker has all those things in his corner in Wisconsin, and wins primarily by working the local angles to goad the shared Milwaukee/Chicago white-flight zone into a frothing-at-the mouth voting frenzy that nets 70% turnout and 80% margins, secondarily by being bland enough that the agrarian populists along the upper mississippi don't come looking for his blood with the same enthusiasm they would if he were a flamboyant oligarch. Dane County and Milwaukee get outvoted by the densely-populated and viciously racist suburban belt of southeastern wisconsin, where Walker has a unique appeal.

When he goes national he will have to fight other candidates - many of them with more advantageous connections - for those corresponding factions and power brokers in other states.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 23, 2015

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't think Walker has yet shown that he has any political chops whatsoever. You can get even get elected Governor or Senator with relatively poor speaking skills and personal appeal/charisma if you have the right state and setup supporting you, but it's hard to get elected President that way. I'll grant that Walker has done it in Wisconsin so it's a bit more impressive than, say, Rick Scott winning in Florida.

Perry is a good example, the GOP nominee in Texas is elected by default so he could be a multi term Governor with very little ability to debate or do a rousing stump speech. He was exposed badly right out the gate last time. It will be interesting to see if he is much improved aside from the smarty glasses once he is no longer, theoretically, hopped up on goofballs.

I feel like much as Rick Perry represented Gun Loving Bible Thumping Son of the South/Texas which GOP voters love, Walker represents Uncompromising Union Busting Righty Who Drives Liberals Mad!, he's just a symbol and as far as I can see has not proven yet that he has any chops on the national stage. Now let him light it up in some debates or show some serious ability on the stump once he actually declares and I may sing a different tune, but I think his current position as a front runner or near to it will be as thin as tissue paper once shots begin to be fired in anger.

While I absolutely loathe Cruz, I think he has a million more times the charisma and intelligence of someone like Walker, I just think he's unelectable (I hope) because of the position he's staked out on the political spectrum.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A good home page:

http://www.tedcruz.com/

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Who is more a religious nut

Cruz or Santorum?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Who is more a religious nut

Cruz or Santorum?
In terms of "Who would be more likely to establish a literal theocracy if they could get away with it?" the edge goes to Santorum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Wisconsin is not a blue state outside of the counties of Dane, Milwaukee and portions of Fond du Lac and Winnebago.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

mcmagic posted:

*Takes money from Koch brothers to outspend labor 8 to 1*

*Proposes fill-in-the-blank legislation written by ALEC*

A fool... or a criminal mastermind???

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Timby posted:

Wisconsin is not a blue state outside of the counties of Dane, Milwaukee and portions of Fond du Lac and Winnebago.

Cali is not a blue state outside of SF and LA.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zeitgueist posted:

Cali is not a blue state outside of SF and LA.

Milwaukee and Madison make up about 1/4 of Wisconsin's population. The population of San Francisco and Los Angeles comprise just under half of California's.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mcmagic posted:

and is able to hide his extremism better than pretty much any other republican candidate in front of a general electorate.

Eh, I'd hold off on that declaration until he's faced an audience wider than Wisconsin. Especially considering he straight up used the word "punt" when asked about an issue he wasn't prepared for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
His existing machine may not work outside Wisconsin, but the thing is he'll be using the national GOP machine. It's plug and play man, insert candidate, all the components do their job

• Locked thread