Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fuzz posted:

Which is funny since apparently by most accounts it's lobe of the worst DBZ games of the last decade and is mostly a grindy MMOG.

Where are you seeing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just started Layton - Mask. Um...wtf did they do. These weird 3d representations of the mains do not look good. :(

This new magnifying glass mechanic seems like adding a new feature just to add something new. But whatevs. More Layton is good Layton!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

lol I played the Lucario stage in Pokémon Shuffle one time and was on the upper half of the ranking board, thanks for the Lucario stone.

Also the game has been updated to add more main stages. I just need to defeat that fucker Mewtwo.

Edit: Wait wasn't I supposed to get a free jewel for entering in the contest too

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 23, 2015

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Just started Layton - Mask. Um...wtf did they do. These weird 3d representations of the mains do not look good. :(

The 3D models only suck in the few not-anime cutscenes but during normal gameplay they're fine.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They were jarring to begin with, but after playing through both Mask and Azran, I've grown to like them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Professor Layton reaches maximum smug in miracle mask and pulls the absolute biggest dick moves in gaming history. It's fantastic. From the very first cutscene he's already figured the entire thing out and is just pretending he hasn't. Also young professor Layton is the poo poo and had the best puzzle solved animation in the series.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KennyMan666 posted:

lol I played the Lucario stage in Pokémon Shuffle one time and was on the upper half of the ranking board, thanks for the Lucario stone.

Also the game has been updated to add more main stages. I just need to defeat that fucker Mewtwo.

Edit: Wait wasn't I supposed to get a free jewel for entering in the contest too

I guess maybe you don't get the jewel if you get the stone? I dunno, I played it with my party I've had from playing for the last 3-4 days and could only top out at like rank 40000 or so. I'm sure it will come around again though so no big deal.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Is there a trick to beating Mega Mawile? Do I need to spend coins on boosts?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tae posted:

Where are you seeing this.

The Gametrailers review and goons on Mumble/IRC/PS4. Granted, these are goons that mostly play XCOM and FROM games, but still.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's me, I'm the guy who hates Xenoverse. I don't like the combat, it's either mindless and takes way too long because everything hits like a wet noodle or is really frustrating because my enemies hit like trucks. I haven't found any middle ground. Story mode can go to hell with it's lack of checkpoints (who thought that was a good idea???) and Parallel Quest grinding can go gently caress right off.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

The Gametrailers review and goons on Mumble/IRC/PS4. Granted, these are goons that mostly play XCOM and FROM games, but still.

A friend of mine compared Xenoverse to Destiny.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Manatee Cannon posted:

A friend of mine compared Xenoverse to Destiny.

I heard that exact comparison, and Destiny was awful, so...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The only thing MMO-like about Xenoverse is the lobby city. You wander around that, which is filled with other player's characters and you can party up with them if you want.

Other than that, it's pure fighting game; no gathering bear asses or wandering around checking back in with 80 NPCs an hour.

Oh, and the story mode totally has checkpoints in the missions. Each mission is broken up into two or three segments and even if you quit out and go do PQs for a while, you'll go back to where you were.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Oh, and the story mode totally has checkpoints in the missions. Each mission is broken up into two or three segments and even if you quit out and go do PQs for a while, you'll go back to where you were.

What do you mean by that? Like each mission is one Saga? Or each leg of a Saga, like the mission where you have to take out 20 Ginyu force mooks? Because what I meant was that if I failed the Ginyu mission after KOing 19 dudes, when I restart, I'm starting all over again instead of the last cutscene trigger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ChaosArgate posted:

What do you mean by that? Like each mission is one Saga? Or each leg of a Saga, like the mission where you have to take out 20 Ginyu force mooks? Because what I meant was that if I failed the Ginyu mission after KOing 19 dudes, when I restart, I'm starting all over again instead of the last cutscene trigger.

Its honestly been a while since I failed a story mission and had to restart it, but back in the Saiyan saga stuff I kept losing to Nappa and I was restarting from the cutscene right before that fight instead of the beginning of the mission.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Its honestly been a while since I failed a story mission and had to restart it, but back in the Saiyan saga stuff I kept losing to Nappa and I was restarting from the cutscene right before that fight instead of the beginning of the mission.

Weird, I looked it up and a lot of people complain about a lack of checkpoints.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Xenoverse is really good and and anyone comparing it to the grind of an mmo has never played an mmo before

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Saagonsa posted:

Xenoverse is really good and and anyone comparing it to the grind of an mmo has never played an mmo before

Yeah, MMOs have way less RNG bullshit!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Xenoverse has a lot in common with Monster Hunter, except instead of 'kill dinosaurs with huge sword, take parts and use to make bigger sword' it's 'kill Vegeta with huge laser beam, take his clothes and learn to shoot his even huger laser beam.' Also at least half the game's appeal is in making all your stupid loving DBZ fan characters from when you were twelve.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I played abit more Codename STEAM, enough to get past Chapter 4 and the first map of Chapter 5. I didn't like Tom Sawyer on his intro map, but then I finished the chapter and got the boiler that lets him regenerate 12 Steam each turn and now he feels far more valuable than before. I don't know what subweapon to give him, though. I tried the gatling gun with him and it seemed alright but not particularly special with him.

On the map I'm on now, the new unit is Queequeg and so far I think his weapon and his once a map special attack are both poo poo. I can't imagine using him over John Henry once this map is through.

John and Queequeg both have their uses. On maps with a lot of hills and is more vertical John shines, but on longer maps with stairs and stuff Queequeg beats him with no effort. His penguins have a literal infinite range so all you have to do is position yourself right and you can blow stuff up from across the entire map. His special is pretty garbage though, I never really had a chance to line up enemies like it implied I should.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sade posted:

Xenoverse has a lot in common with Monster Hunter, except instead of 'kill dinosaurs with huge sword, take parts and use to make bigger sword' it's 'kill Vegeta with huge laser beam, take his clothes and learn to shoot his even huger laser beam.' Also at least half the game's appeal is in making all your stupid loving DBZ fan characters from when you were twelve.

So you're grinding out the same missions over and over again to get materials to craft things? Because that sounds like Destiny/MMO mission design to me. Maybe the grind isn't as bad, but from what I can tell it's definitely still there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think he's saying you get the item the first time you do the mission.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd be kinda surprised if that's the case considering the comparison with Monster Hunter. That game is killing monsters to get materials to craft weapons/armor to kill monsters. It's a loop and you do it over and over again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The funny thing is that Dragon Ball Z meets Monster Hunter isn't even that new a concept. PS3/PSV's Battle of Z did it a year ago to mixed results, but I guess being more like PSO and less like Monster Hunter was the trick for people.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

greatn posted:

Nah, it's RNG. You might get that last piece of Vegeta's armor set you're missing, the move you want, both, or nothing when you beat a given mission. In that sense it's more like an MMO, except the costumes are (mostly) cosmetic and only alter your stats a little.

Basically, beat guys up, steal their clothes and moves, and play Barbie dress-up with the self-insert you came up with when you were 12.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can I finally make Krillen go super sajaiyajajin?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
No but you can make a guy that looks exactly like Crono which is very important.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

Can I finally make Krillen go super sajaiyajajin?

Make a bald Sayian and name him Super Krillin and then suddenly you can.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

greatn posted:

No, it's an MMO-like grind unfortunately. Drop rates vary from okay to atrocious. The RNG aspect is by far the worst part of the game.

Come see us in the Xenoverse thread if you're interested, be happy to go into more detail.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sade posted:

No, it's an MMO-like grind unfortunately. Drop rates vary from okay to atrocious. The RNG aspect is by far the worst part of the game.

Come see us in the Xenoverse thread if you're interested, be happy to go into more detail.

It's a terrible broken mechanic and part of why I never bothered to play it once online actually worked. It is very much MMO-grind-like unless you don't consider PSO a MMO-like game as the mechanics are extremely similar.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Nice, judging by the replies here, it seems like Xenoverse came out on the 3DS.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, I am embarrassed to say I got kinda excited about the fact I missed a game release that could be sort of fun. I'd probably enjoy wasting a few hours messing with that if it was a decent port.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Nice, judging by the replies here, it seems like Xenoverse came out on the 3DS.

I honestly just assumed that this was the case when I saw people were talking about it. Oh well.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Policenaut posted:

The funny thing is that Dragon Ball Z meets Monster Hunter isn't even that new a concept. PS3/PSV's Battle of Z did it a year ago to mixed results, but I guess being more like PSO and less like Monster Hunter was the trick for people.

battle of z is really not like monster hunter at all in any way that i can see

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Awesome! posted:

battle of z is really not like monster hunter at all in any way that i can see

BoZ is a hunting action game in the same way PS3/PSV series Gundam Breaker is. They took a few of the core elements of Monster Hunter then built whatever game they wanted around it then billed it as a hunting action game in Japan, so it's got the whole 4-player co-op party vs. gigantic enemies that have all these breakable parts (i.e. Oozaru fight) and the RNG loot deal with the cards you equip to fit your favorite character into a specific role. It's nowhere near as in-depth as Monster Hunter or any of its contemporaries.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

John and Queequeg both have their uses. On maps with a lot of hills and is more vertical John shines, but on longer maps with stairs and stuff Queequeg beats him with no effort. His penguins have a literal infinite range so all you have to do is position yourself right and you can blow stuff up from across the entire map. His special is pretty garbage though, I never really had a chance to line up enemies like it implied I should.

Yeah, I can see him being useful on maps like that, but it was just frustrating that the map he was introduced on was particularly poorly matched to his strengths. I also didn't realize he has a passive skill that buffs the entire team's damage by like 10%, though, which is a pretty big deal. Just that fact alone means I'll be giving him more of a fair chance at action than I would have otherwise.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am going to go Super Saiyan on this muthafuckin thread if we do not shut up about Xenoverse :ssj:

Also I got all the endings in Out Run and unlocked 'Arcade Mode' which apparently is arcade accurate but I detect very few differences. Game still owns. Buy it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Staying in a hotel all week. Every time I clear my streetpasses, I immediately get the same 10 back. Zero puzzle pieces, and while I have 10 level 7 heroes in FindMii, non of them are wearing a white shirt to clear the dark room.

FML.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I heard Marth speaks in english in CODENAME S.T.E.A.M and now I don't want it anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Also I got all the endings in Out Run and unlocked 'Arcade Mode' which apparently is arcade accurate but I detect very few differences. Game still owns. Buy it.

30FPS and the borked timer are the most obvious differences.