Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
So Bloodline is really god damned good so far. Just 2 episodes to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

mr. why posted:

I've only seen the first two episodes, but yes it's pretty good. Anyone going into should know, however, that it's more of a slow burn mystery that focuses on the family drama more, though I think they are doing a good job of using the family drama to make the thriller aspects of the show hit a lot harder than they would.

The show is easily the best looking Netflix original, too, but the Swedish Breaking Bad director whose name I forget tackled some of the episodes so they should.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Heaven is a weird little legal thriller by Tom Tykwer that is probably best viewed knowing as little about it as possible. It's quite good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

K. Waste posted:

Heaven is a weird little legal thriller by Tom Tykwer that is probably best viewed knowing as little about it as possible. It's quite good.

Agreed.

This is one of my favorite films, and not just because I'm in love with Cate Blanchett.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Namirsolo posted:

Life Itself, the Roger Ebert documentary, is on Netflix now. It's great and has some hilarious clips of him and Siskel. It's a celebration of his life, but parts of it are pretty painful and made me cry. I really miss that man.

And it's directed by the guy who did Hoop Dreams - loving perfect!

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Namirsolo posted:

Life Itself, the Roger Ebert documentary, is on Netflix now. It's great and has some hilarious clips of him and Siskel. It's a celebration of his life, but parts of it are pretty painful and made me cry. I really miss that man.

They don't even feature some of their best arguments such as Roger favoring Cop and a Half for the cute kid and Gene favoring Carnosaur for being so strange. I was really hoping Ebert's most famous rant against the film North would be included.

"While I was writing my written review, a certain force came over me that made me type 'I hated this movie! Hated, hated, hated, hated this movie!'"

I am glad that the movie gives just enough of a taste to make you want to go online and seek out some more clips from their show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's still a god damned tragedy that the second At the Movies went off the air Disney took down the site they had which contained pretty much everything Ebert did while they owned the show. You can still find alot of clips online of stuff but nothing that comes close to the content that site had.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

FrostedButts posted:

"While I was writing my written review, a certain force came over me that made me type 'I hated this movie! Hated, hated, hated, hated this movie!'"

There are a lot of great stories floating around about the fallout from this review, but my favorite came from the original author of North shortly after Roger Ebert died. I'll butcher it if I try to type it out from memory, so here it is copied and pasted directly from The New Yorker.

quote:

I was on tour promoting a book I’d written when someone I was having lunch with in a Chicago restaurant pointed him out.

I became transfixed. I watched him eat. I watched him laugh. And, when he got up, I watched him as he worked his way to the men’s room. Within seconds, I excused myself and did the same.

So there we were. Downstairs in the men’s room of a restaurant.

“Roger…?” I heard myself say as we were both exiting.

“Yes,” he answered.

A beat of silence. One that he appeared to be using to figure out where he may have known my face. And one that I used to figure out what I was going to say next. It was clearly my turn to talk. Some twelve years after that review.

“Alan Zweibel,” I said.

Another beat of silence. One that he appeared to be using to tighten every muscle in his body.

And one that I broke by saying, “And I just have to tell you, Roger, that that sweater you’re wearing? I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that sweater.”

One last beat of silence.

Then I smiled. And then he smiled.

Then I started laughing.

And then he started laughing.

And then we shook hands.

Rest in peace, Roger.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
There's a film on Netflix currently called Charlie Victor Romeo. It takes transcripts of black box audio and has a cast act out those transcripts almost verbatim while sat in a mock cockpit. It's from an apparently successful play of the same name, and I couldn't stop watching it. I don't know whether to recommend it or not because the source material is real and it's so well done it might be upsetting for some people.

after each segment, a title card appears, with the information about the accident we just witnessed. This includes the reason the plane crashed (BIRD STRIKE, for example), and the number of survivors. Some of the segments are very short, because disaster strikes quickly, but a couple of them seem to take ages to go from normal to OH gently caress and the parts in between are incredibly hard to watch but even more difficult to look away from.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a film on Netflix currently called Charlie Victor Romeo. It takes transcripts of black box audio and has a cast act out those transcripts almost verbatim while sat in a mock cockpit. It's from an apparently successful play of the same name, and I couldn't stop watching it. I don't know whether to recommend it or not because the source material is real and it's so well done it might be upsetting for some people.

after each segment, a title card appears, with the information about the accident we just witnessed. This includes the reason the plane crashed (BIRD STRIKE, for example), and the number of survivors. Some of the segments are very short, because disaster strikes quickly, but a couple of them seem to take ages to go from normal to OH gently caress and the parts in between are incredibly hard to watch but even more difficult to look away from.

Oh poo poo! That movies up? That movie rules. I got to see it in the original 3D (yes it was made in 3D for some reason). It was also a bad movie to watch the night before flying back from Sundance.

Still, that's a movie I never expected others to be able to see. For what is just a few actors on a minimal set with all just real dialogue, it can be intense as gently caress. There's one lengthy segment in there which might be one of the more harrowing sequences I've seen.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That sounds pretty uncomfortable / intense. Interesting premise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. why posted:

So, it's not just worth it for Kyle Chandler?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It's a great, great, great film. CVR is one of those films that makes me feel like they made it just for me to watch it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 23, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Blood Ties is pretty good so far. This cast is out of control, everyone is in this movie. Herc is a criminal, Marlo Stanfield plays a cop, dogs & cats living together, the world's all topsy-turvy.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 24, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Asylum's Hansel Vs. Gretel is up and it's actually a fairly endearing B-movie. It's definitely so exceptionally bad that it becomes somewhat good, and even if you don't finish it, the first half-hour to hour or so of it are great for a good yuck or two. It's got that classic, self-effacing quality of a B-movie where the basic conceit of the setting and characters constantly implies this greater speculative universe that is never effectively addressed, explained, or expressed through misc-en-scene. This is my first Asylum movie, and I certainly don't regret seeing it as much as some of the merely mediocre stuff you could be watching.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

K. Waste posted:

Just quoting this so I don't forget about it.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Force Majeure is up on Netflix Instant.

quote:

A sudden avalanche at an Alpine ski resort shatters the serenity of a vacationing Swedish family when the father flees without his wife and children.

It's about the family, not the avalanche.

It's really good. At times it's like watching a car accident happen in slow motion right before you.

Make sure to watch it with someone of the opposite sex! :)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

wa27 posted:

I didn't realize they added Danger 5 season 2 until tonight, and I was totally surprised by the change in theme/setting. I'm not sure I like it more than season one, but I'm glad they didn't just do more of the same. I haven't seen it recommended a lot in here but people should check it out.

Seriously though guys this show was pretty much made with goons in mind

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Real Name Grover posted:

Seriously though guys this show was pretty much made with goons in mind

And as always, Kill Hitler!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And as always, Kill Hitler!

His gulpgulpgulp on that martini cracked me up more than it should have.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hitler's always got that escape chute / rescue rocket / back window thing to leap into at the end of the episode.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

How is Danger 5 for kids?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sir Nose posted:

How is Danger 5 for kids?
As long as you're okay with your kids seeing lots of violence, sexual innuendo, swearing, alcohol use, smoking, and jokes they won't understand, it's totally fine.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Just watched CVR and holy gently caress :stare: Don't let the cheap looking aesthetic fool you, it's loving intense. Some of the middle segments are sorta weak but the last one makes up for that and then some. It's not a lie to say it made me feel more for tension and worry than most horror movies do anymore.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

As long as you're okay with your kids seeing lots of violence, sexual innuendo, swearing, alcohol use, smoking, and jokes they won't understand, it's totally fine.

Hah! OK, thanks.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

V/H/S 3: We're Goin' Viral?! is up. It's really loving stupid. The skateboarders fighting the Mexican skeletons was weirdly compelling, but everything else was pretty bad, especially the framing device or whatever you call it. We're still doing the spooky ice cream truck thing, huh?

Admittedly, the goon with the magical cape was pretty funny.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

DangerDummy! posted:

V/H/S 3: We're Goin' Viral?! is up. It's really loving stupid. The skateboarders fighting the Mexican skeletons was weirdly compelling, but everything else was pretty bad, especially the framing device or whatever you call it. We're still doing the spooky ice cream truck thing, huh?

Admittedly, the goon with the magical cape was pretty funny.

Such a bad movie. The cape dude was kind of cool but just went downhill rather quickly. I also hated hated hated the skateboard kid piece. Probably cause I hate skateboarders.

The only one I really enjoyed was Parallel Monsters and even that was more 'not as bad as the others' than anything else.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Leper Residue posted:

Such a bad movie. The cape dude was kind of cool but just went downhill rather quickly. I also hated hated hated the skateboard kid piece. Probably cause I hate skateboarders.

The only one I really enjoyed was Parallel Monsters and even that was more 'not as bad as the others' than anything else.

I loved that I got to watch a SWAT vs Wizard battle.

The skateboarders were supposed to be huge asshiles I think. Doesn't mean you should like it but at least it is intentional. I was still rooting for them by the end. I insist that skeletons are the absolute least scary horror villain, they're just too goofy.

As to the parallel monsters thing, I loved that both of them were really fish out of water instead of just the obvious one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I watched Short Term 12. Get on it. Its incredible.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Just watched There Will Be Blood for the first time and drat, Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day Lewis are forces of nature. It was fascinating watching Daniel's character managed to have entire towns bend to his will in moving towards his capitalist vision. The other actors did well too but it really is Lewis's movie. I can't believe it took me this many years to watch it.

Any recommendations on films that have protaganists/antiheroes that are complete misanthropes a la DD Lewis's character in There Will Be Blood? I always seem to identify with characters like that in film and in fiction. Thanks.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

forever whatever posted:

Any recommendations on films that have protaganists/antiheroes that are complete misanthropes a la DD Lewis's character in There Will Be Blood? I always seem to identify with characters like that in film and in fiction. Thanks.
Comedy answer: I'm sure those Atlas Shrugged movies will have you well covered.

As for non-terrible stuff that's streaming, Groundhog Day comes to mind (other than the ending). I would say the latter parts of Breaking Bad also has a few characters like that.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

forever whatever posted:

Just watched There Will Be Blood for the first time and drat, Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day Lewis are forces of nature. It was fascinating watching Daniel's character managed to have entire towns bend to his will in moving towards his capitalist vision. The other actors did well too but it really is Lewis's movie. I can't believe it took me this many years to watch it.

Let me just say that There Will be Blood is one of my favorite movies ever and I love Daniel Day Lewis. That being said, there are a couple scenes that I feel second hand embarrassment for his overacting. The one in particular is the scene everyone knows and loves and that is the milkshake dialogue at the finale. The more I watch it, the more I dislike how over the top it is (though I like the ending overall). His outbursts in the film are a great idea as they contrast the long scenes with sparse and/or quiet dialogue. But in some scenes he does it in a way that comes across as just too goofy the more I watch the film.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

forever whatever posted:

I think you'd like Nightcrawler

Edit: poo poo, not the "recommend me" thread. Either way, it's worth the $1.50 at Redbox, for sure.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 24, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

forever whatever posted:

Taxi Driver comes to mind.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

forever whatever posted:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer(on netflix last i checked), The Proposition

also seconding Nightcrawler, which has one of the best monologues about misanthropy ever ("What if my problem's not that I don't understand people, I just don't like them?")

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

forever whatever posted:

No idea if it's on a streaming service, but The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford would fit the bill. It's easily one of the best films of the last decade, and Brad Pitt's Jesse James is very misanthropic and intimidating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo, I just realized that Bloodline is that show that had the crazy good and vague trailer last year, now I'm gonna end up staying up watching it all night

e: also God's Not Dead is hilarious

precision fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 25, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Why on earth doesn't Netflix have any kind of watch offline option for mobile?

I mean I guess I understand the business reasons but my work has me doing a ton of traveling over the next few days and it would be nice to load up on and binge through the kind of stuff my wife's not so bothered about.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if their content licensing terms prohibit such a feature.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Watched the first episode of Bloodline last night, impressive start. I read an interview with the writers a few months ago, and they said that writing for Netflix is a very different and liberating experience. Normal TV show writing requires weekly reminders and updates about characters and plots so that you can pick up viewers as the series progresses. Word of mouth leads to people trying out an episode mid-season, so if they feel hopelessly lost they'll not watch again.

However Netflix allows everyone to start at the beginning, and because there's a tendency to binge-watch, they don't have to make allowances for the viewer forgetting what's happening. The future of TV, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

forever whatever posted:

Almost every Scorsesse movie.