Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's simple, actually. The US has basically said it's working under the assumption that he's abandoned the two-state solution, so he loses nothing by acceding to Bennett's demand.

Not sure I agree. The US has basically said it's working under the assumption he's abandoned the two-state solution based on his comments, but I read that as less a "nothing will convince us now" and more as "if you want to convince us it's going to be actions, not words". Its likely that Netenyahu is uninterested in any actions that would demonstrate commitment to a two-state solution, but by agreeing to Bennett's demand he rules that out and loses some flexibility to respond to whatever Obama does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Also, Obama is only around for two more years. Unless the next president is a Tea Party Republican, they'll probably want Israel to at least pretend there's a peace process. (A moderate Republican will probably be satisfied with words, I think Clinton would want ongoing talks.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Have we not seen Netanyahu repeatedly act as if only Republicans matter, though? Cat's out of the bag, he has a coalition to create, Bennett is going to insist on this, I don't see him walking this back. It's going to be in the charter for the next government.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have we not seen Netanyahu repeatedly act as if only Republicans matter, though? Cat's out of the bag, he has a coalition to create, Bennett is going to insist on this, I don't see him walking this back. It's going to be in the charter for the next government.

I don't either. I just think it's worth pointing out that it's going to be another choice by Bibi, not something that's just forced on him by the US taking him at his (campaign) word.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think he's just not going to make any public statements on this subject for the next few months on account of how embarrassing this flip-flopping is becoming, he's got to save some face.

He's gonna send Naftali the link to that 'hidden camera' footage with "nuff said" in the subject and hope Naftali stops rocking the boat any further.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Honestly, I think casting Netanyahu's actions as US partisanship is missing the point. Rather than that, I would say that Netanyahu acts as if only the people who support his side of things matter. Certainly, he has closer ties to Republicans, but if a bunch of Senate Dems had rebelled against Obama's Iran policy and invited him to speak in front of Congress about the threat of Iran, he would have accepted that invitation just as he accepted the Republican invitation. He naturally tends to align with the Republicans more for a variety of reasons, but looking at his actions through the lens of US partisan politics is probably fundamentally flawed - ultimately, I think he supports whichever team gives him exactly what he wants at the time, and his actions only look partisan right now because the Dems are pushing back against the policies he wants and the Republicans are responding by giving those policies unprecedented support. Of course, because the Republicans and Netanyahu are both right-leaning, they're going to agree on things more far more often than the hated leftists, but I doubt Netanyahu seriously cares about US internal politics as long as he gets what he wants. If the US opposition is friendly and the administration is hostile, he'll happily back the opposition - just as Obama yearned for the Israeli center-left to defeat Netanyahu.

In essence, while Netanyahu is working with the Republicans right now, he's doing it to get what he wants, not what they want. He couldn't care less about Republican goals in general, except where they align with his own, and he's only working with them when it can be made to benefit him somehow too. The Republicans, for their part, didn't really want to make these partisan issues either. In fact, they chose to pick a fight over Israel and Iran precisely because it was a bipartisan issue - rather than casting it as R vs D, they targeted Obama exclusively and tried to make it a Congress vs President fight so they could attract enough pro-Israel Democratic members of Congress to their side to really bully and humiliate Obama. They hosed it up and went too far with the letter to Iran, but with just the Netanyahu speech they at least had a chance/at making the administration sweat (though I doubt they would've been able to pull it off). Now, though, the extremists have dragged things too far and everyone (except Obama) shooting their mouths off in hilariously dumb ways that make them look like fools.

quote:

Asked if U.S.-Israel relations were at a dangerous point, McCain, a leading voice on foreign affairs in the Republican-controlled Congress, said: "I think that's up to the president of the United States."

"Get over your temper tantrum, Mr. President," McCain said on CNN. "The least of your problems is what Bibi Netanyahu said during an election campaign. If every politician were held to everything they say in a political campaign, obviously that would be a topic of long discussion."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Honestly, I think casting Netanyahu's actions as US partisanship is missing the point. Rather than that, I would say that Netanyahu acts as if only the people who support his side of things matter. Certainly, he has closer ties to Republicans, but if a bunch of Senate Dems had rebelled against Obama's Iran policy and invited him to speak in front of Congress about the threat of Iran, he would have accepted that invitation just as he accepted the Republican invitation. He naturally tends to align with the Republicans more for a variety of reasons, but looking at his actions through the lens of US partisan politics is probably fundamentally flawed - ultimately, I think he supports whichever team gives him exactly what he wants at the time, and his actions only look partisan right now because the Dems are pushing back against the policies he wants and the Republicans are responding by giving those policies unprecedented support. Of course, because the Republicans and Netanyahu are both right-leaning, they're going to agree on things more far more often than the hated leftists, but I doubt Netanyahu seriously cares about US internal politics as long as he gets what he wants. If the US opposition is friendly and the administration is hostile, he'll happily back the opposition - just as Obama yearned for the Israeli center-left to defeat Netanyahu.

In essence, while Netanyahu is working with the Republicans right now, he's doing it to get what he wants, not what they want. He couldn't care less about Republican goals in general, except where they align with his own, and he's only working with them when it can be made to benefit him somehow too. The Republicans, for their part, didn't really want to make these partisan issues either. In fact, they chose to pick a fight over Israel and Iran precisely because it was a bipartisan issue - rather than casting it as R vs D, they targeted Obama exclusively and tried to make it a Congress vs President fight so they could attract enough pro-Israel Democratic members of Congress to their side to really bully and humiliate Obama. They hosed it up and went too far with the letter to Iran, but with just the Netanyahu speech they at least had a chance/at making the administration sweat (though I doubt they would've been able to pull it off). Now, though, the extremists have dragged things too far and everyone (except Obama) shooting their mouths off in hilariously dumb ways that make them look like fools.

He has consistently been playing with Republicans, though, while ignoring Democrats who ended up not supporting a bipartisan sanctions bill because of his very actions, which were orchestrated through an Israeli Ambassador who is a Republican insider. And you seem to be glossing over his obvious partisan support for Romney during the 2012 elections, as well as his main benefactor, bankroller of several news-sources dedicated to singing his praises, Sheldon Adelson. He may not care about Republicans directly for all we know, but he cares about Adelson, and Adelson cares about Republicans, so those concerns seem to not infrequently overrule any alleged independent agenda he might have.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He has consistently been playing with Republicans, though, while ignoring Democrats who ended up not supporting a bipartisan sanctions bill because of his very actions, which were orchestrated through an Israeli Ambassador who is a Republican insider. And you seem to be glossing over his obvious partisan support for Romney during the 2012 elections, as well as his main benefactor, bankroller of several news-sources dedicated to singing his praises, Sheldon Adelson. He may not care about Republicans directly for all we know, but he cares about Adelson, and Adelson cares about Republicans, so those concerns seem to not infrequently overrule any alleged independent agenda he might have.

Like I said, he's supporting them because they support him. He's not backing the Republicans because he's picked his "team" and is determined to back them at all costs, he's doing it because they are actively offering up policies that help him. He didn't back Romney because "go go Republicans", he backed Romney because Obama openly loathed Netanyahu long before 2012 came around and everybody knew it. As for the speech in front of Congress, every indication is that Boehner orchestrated it for his own purposes, and Netanyahu went along with Boehner's proposal because it benefited Netanyahu's own political objectives in at least two ways (or so he thought).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

gently caress McCain. "What's a little electioneering race-baiting between friends?" Yeah he should know a thing or two about that after 2008.

So it seems Netanyahu's officially apologizing for his comments about Arabs. That's probably the easier line to walk back since it's not directly tied to a single policy the way the two state solution remarks were. I guess he's hoping he can shift focus to that point since it's a little easier to talk about.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
To be fair, McCain would be an expert on running to the right to pick up crazies and race baiting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zeitgueist posted:

To be fair, McCain would be an expert on running to the right to pick up crazies and race baiting.

In the US, that comes up in the primaries and tanks you in the general elections. In Israel you need to be sensible in the primaries then freak out in the general, apparently. :shrug:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
McCain's "I sign alot of letters' comment strongly suggests he is no longer of sound mind, but being a demented old person is a qualification when representing Arizona.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Wasn't he the victim of such in 2000? Something about an illegitimate black child? And are we to believe President McCain would have accepted a foreign power and the Democratic party trying to strong arm him like they've tried to do to Obama?

I guess consistency with one's own principles is too much to ask nowadays.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

I think some people itt are getting hung up over the polling percentage of american support for israel. its pretty obvious that if you put the question to someone they'll say israel good arabs bad the vast majority of the time, but I'm kind of doubtful anyone but a significant minority actually care enough to have it change their vote, especially since the potential reprisal is just doing nothing.

Fun fact: only 26% of white Americans favored sanctions against South Africa in 1986.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed regret Monday for his statements during the elections last week, in which he called on his supporters to vote, warning that "the Arabs are voting in droves."

"I know the things I said a few days ago hurt some Israeli citizens," Netanyahu said during a meeting Tuesday with representatives of Israeli monitory groups.

"My actions as prime minister, including massive investment in minority sectors, prove the exact opposite," he added. "I think, similarly, that no element outside the state of Israel should intervene in our democratic processes."

The prime minister added: "I see myself as the prime minister of each and every one of you, of all Israeli citizens without differentiating between religions, races and sex. I see in all Israeli citizens partners in building the State of Israel, one that is thriving and safe for all Israeli citizens."

https://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.648441

Well, that settles that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
"I'm sorry that I said that, now that I've won. :smug:"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No one outside of Israel other than Adelson and Boehner, surely.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PhilippAchtel posted:

Wasn't he the victim of such in 2000? Something about an illegitimate black child? And are we to believe President McCain would have accepted a foreign power and the Democratic party trying to strong arm him like they've tried to do to Obama?

I guess consistency with one's own principles is too much to ask nowadays.

He and his wife adopted an Indian girl back in the 80's, so Karl Rove had the bright idea to pay for pollers to call voters around the deep south and ask among other questions "If you were to find out that John McCain has an illegitimate black child would you be less likely to vote for him?"

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-03-23/after-stunning-loss-israeli-left-worries-its-future

I'm willing to bet a lot of the posters here were in that 'bubble'

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"My actions as prime minister should prove that I'm not racist." - the head of an apartheid government and proponent of ethnic cleansing

"I think, similarly, that no element outside the state of Israel should intervene in our democratic processes." - the man who openly campaigned for Mitt Romney and held an election speech in a foreign nation at the behest of the Republican party

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's simple, actually. The US has basically said it's working under the assumption that he's abandoned the two-state solution, so he loses nothing by acceding to Bennett's demand.

That's not Netanyahu though. The core of his very being is that he has no principles beyond staying in power.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Not that I expect any real significant policy changes toward Israel to come out of it, but it's still incredibly funny to see everyone - the Obama administration, the Israeli left, the Joint Arab List, the Palestinians, and even J Street and other American pro-Israel organizations - openly roasting Netanyahu for trying to pull "All that poo poo I said yesterday? I didn't mean it, honest" in an incredibly obvious way. It's rare that people drop the pretense of respect and straight-up hold a politician accountable for the poo poo they said.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/03/23/260671/netanyahu-apologizes-for-anti.html

quote:

JERUSALEM — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu apologized Monday for racially provocative remarks he made about Arab voters on Israel’s election day last week, but the move failed to assuage critics of his campaign-trail tactics, which sparked outrage in Israel and drew rare public rebukes from the White House.

The Obama administration made it clear Monday that it wasn’t letting Netanyahu off the hook for either the anti-Arab statements, in which he urged his supporters to turn out because Israeli Arabs were voting in “droves,” or remarks in which he vowed that a Palestinian state wouldn’t emerge under his watch, effectively rejecting the two-state solution that’s long been the internationally recognized framework for resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“We cannot simply pretend that these comments were never made,” White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough told a national convention in Washington of J Street, a left-leaning, pro-peace group that’s positioning itself as a counterweight to more traditional pro-Israel lobbying groups such as AIPAC.

Netanyahu delivered the apology at a meeting in his official residence with an invited Arab delegation that did not include members of the Arab party, known as the United List, which won 13 seats in the 120-member legislature.

“I know that what I said a few days ago offended Israeli Arabs. This was never my intention. I am sorry about that,” Netanyahu said to applause and cheers from his Arab listeners, who included members of his conservative Likud party. “My actions as prime minister, including huge investments in the minority sectors, prove the opposite.”

“I consider myself the prime minister of each and every one of you, all the citizens of Israel, regardless of religion, race or sex.”

The apology was promptly rejected by Ayman Odeh, the head of the newly elected Arab party that will be the third largest bloc in parliament. He called the remarks “another zigzag” by Netanyahu that could not substitute for concrete steps to ensure genuine equality for Israel’s Arab citizens.

“This is not a real apology,” Odeh told Israel’s Channel Two television. “What is required is a policy of real equality for the Arab population.”

The Obama administration struck a similar line, with spokespeople across the government insisting that Netanyahu “match words to actions.”

For now, a public dressing down is as far as U.S. officials will go, however. McDonough and other officials stopped short of spelling out any tougher response, whether through the United Nations or other avenues. In Geneva, the United States on Monday backed Israel by refusing to participate in a U.N. Human Rights Commission discussion of alleged Israeli human rights abuses.

Still, administration spokespeople continued to take special aim at the longtime notion of U.S. and Israeli “shared values,” warning that Israel’s democratic ideals are threatened by the open-ended occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, unfettered settlement expansion, and the de facto second-class citizenship of Arabs and other minorities.

“At the heart of any democracy is the right for all citizens to participate equally,” McDonough said to raucous applause at the J Street convention.

Since his re-election last week to an unprecedented fourth term, Netanyahu has tried to soften or qualify the controversial statements but to little success. Last week, Netanyahu explained in several interviews with U.S. news outlets that he had not meant to reject a two-state solution and only intended to say that conditions did not now exist for it to go into effect. The Obama administration rejected that version, however.

In his remarks at his official residence Monday, Netanyahu took a swipe at President Barack Obama, who had publicly criticized the prime minister’s election day appeal and brought it up with him in a phone conversation on Friday.

“No element outside the state of Israel should interfere in our democratic process,” Netanyahu said.

The anger at Netanyahu stems from a Facebook message he posted as Israelis went to the polls last Tuesday warning that “the rule of the right is in danger” and that Arab Israelis were “going in droves” to polling stations in buses provided by left-wing groups.

White House officials have used undiplomatic language to criticize the warning for days.

In an interviewed published Saturday, Obama told The Huffington Post that he’d told Netanyahu in a phone call that his warning about the Arab vote contradicted Israel’s democratic traditions. White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest called it a “cynical election day tactic” meant to “marginalize” Israeli Arabs, who are 20 percent of Israel’s population.

Netanyahu’s primary opponent, Isaac Herzog, called Netanyahu’s remarks “racist” and said that he’d “humiliated 20 percent of Israeli citizens for the sake of his election campaign.” Israel’s president, Reuven Rivlin, a one-time Likud politician, criticized them on Sunday.

Odeh, the head of the Arab party, called Netanyahu’s apology lip service in response to a chorus of criticism from abroad, and he noted that Netanyahu had promoted a controversial “nationality law” that critics said would demote the status of Israel’s Arab minority.

“He incited against citizens who exercised their basic right to vote for parliament,” Odeh said. “We are waiting for a real apology, in other words, a policy of real equality.”

Many U.S.-based Jewish groups also rejected both the anti-Arab remarks and the apology Monday. Speaker after speaker at the J Street conference drew cheers from the 3,000-person audience by attacking Netanyahu’s comments as unrepresentative of Israeli values. Stav Shaffir, the youngest member of the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, got a standing ovation for vowing that Israelis “will not stay silent to racist rants.”

“It looks like the prime minister said, ‘I’m sorry if you were offended,’” said Naomi Paiss of the New Israel Fund, a U.S.-based nonprofit that funds human rights and civil society groups in Israel. “And anyone in a romantic relationship knows that that is a weaseling out of responsibility. It’s even more true when you’re talking about insulting 20 percent of the country of which you are prime minister.”

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Netanyahu’s apology and his earlier attempts to walk back his comments on the two-state solution had done nothing to enhance the prime minister’s credibility.

“I think it’s just understandably confusing for people about which of his comments to believe,” she said.
“ He said diametrically opposing things in the matter of a week. So which is his actual policy? That’s why what we said is, words aren’t enough at this point. We need to see actions – actions and policies.”

:supaburn:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh boy.

quote:

White House Chief of Staff Says Israel’s Occupation of the West Bank 'Must End'
By Harriet Salem
March 23, 2015 | 8:54 pm

After a divisive election campaign by incumbent Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that further soured his already troubled relationship with the US, President Barack Obama's chief of staff said Monday that Israel's occupation of the West Bank "must end," and that Obama will "never stop working for a two-state solution."

Speaking to a left-leaning audience at a conference hosted by J Street, a pro-Israel group aligned with the Democratic Party, White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough received a round of applause after he said, "Israel cannot maintain military control of another people indefinitely."

In the final hours of his campaign last week, Netanyahu, known as "Bibi" to supporters and critics alike, promised that a Palestinian state would not be established under his watch. He also pledged to continue building Jewish settlements in Israeli-occupied territories beyond the 1967 lines.

In a last-minute bid to push surge of conservative voters to the polls on election day, Netanyahu's Likud party sent out a barrage of text messages to Israeli cellphones warning that "the Arabs are voting in droves."

Netanyahu has since attempted to backtrack, claiming in an interview with MSNBC that he is actually in favor of "a peaceful two-state solution." He also issued a public statement of regret over any comments that may have offended Israeli Arab citizens, who comprise 20 percent of the country's population.

"This was never my intent. I apologize for this. I view myself as the prime minister of each and every citizen of Israel, without any prejudice based on religion, ethnicity or gender," Netanyahu said Monday at his Jerusalem residence during a meeting with members of the Arab community.

Netanyahu's political flip-flopping has not been well received in the US. In an interview with the Huffington Post, Obama described a frosty phone call in which he told the Israeli prime minister that it would now be "hard to find a path where people seriously believe [peace] negotiations are possible."

The president also said Netanyahu's actions "erode the meaning of democracy," and give "ammunition to folks who don't believe in a Jewish state."

Israeli President Reuven Rivlin is expected to officially recommend Wednesday that Netanyahu head the formation of the country's next government. Consultations over the weekend showed the Likud leader commands the support of enough parties to pull together a coalition with the required 61 seats in the Knesset, Israel's parliament.

In Israel, the "Joint List," a coalition of Arab candidates who stood on a shared platform during the recent election, sharply rejected the prime minister's attempt at an apology, issuing a statement Monday that called his remarks "empty words intended to preserve his racist regime."

"Sadly, the racism of Netanyahu and his government did not start with this statement and it surely will not be its end," the statement said. "Racist and exclusionary legislation are part of Netanyahu's work plan for the next Knesset, and thus we have no choice but to reject this apology."

Speaking on an Israeli television channel, Ayman Odeh, the head of the Joint List, reportedly said the prime minister's apology was "not real," and accused him of shameless "zigzagging."

Asked Monday about Netanyahu's apology, State Department spokeswoman Melanie Hart told reporters that he had said "diametrically opposite things in a matter of a week."

"When he says one thing one day and another thing another it's impossible to tell if he's sincere," Hart added. "We can't read his mind."

Despite the ongoing disputes, the US has emphasized that it will continue providing its annual $3 billion in military aid to Israel, and that security and intelligence cooperation between the two countries will not cease.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

That's not Netanyahu though. The core of his very being is that he has no principles beyond staying in power.

As soon as the Obama Administration had made it clear that it was not going to allow him to walk back his "no Palestinian State" remarks, he lost the only reason to keep up that facade. Meanwhile, this might be a dealbreaker for Bennett, whose party he needs. Therefore, he has no reason to pursue this and every reason to follow through.

Main Paineframe posted:

Not that I expect any real significant policy changes toward Israel to come out of it, but it's still incredibly funny to see everyone - the Obama administration, the Israeli left, the Joint Arab List, the Palestinians, and even J Street and other American pro-Israel organizations - openly roasting Netanyahu for trying to pull "All that poo poo I said yesterday? I didn't mean it, honest" in an incredibly obvious way. It's rare that people drop the pretense of respect and straight-up hold a politician accountable for the poo poo they said.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/03/23/260671/netanyahu-apologizes-for-anti.html

:supaburn:

I guess it would take Netanyahu to push J-Street into something actually resembling a left.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As soon as the Obama Administration had made it clear that it was not going to allow him to walk back his "no Palestinian State" remarks, he lost the only reason to keep up that facade. Meanwhile, this might be a dealbreaker for Bennett, whose party he needs. Therefore, he has no reason to pursue this and every reason to follow through.

If Netanyahu turns around and say "Well gently caress it then, no Palestinian state and I mean it this time!" that'd probably be when things get interesting. Just for starters, it'd give the Obama administration enough of an opening to deliberately abstain on a UN veto for something pertaining to Israel - maybe nothing big to start, just as a warning that if he doesn't fall back in line then other resolutions will come.

Using diplomatic and political pressure to force Natanyahu to actually participate in the peace process and cough up some basic concessions would be quite the shift from where America's policy toward Israel has been for the last couple decades.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Israel Spied on Iran Talks

quote:

Soon after the U.S. and other major powers entered negotiations last year to curtail Iran’s nuclear program, senior White House officials learned Israel was spying on the closed-door talks.

The spying operation was part of a broader campaign by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government to penetrate the negotiations and then help build a case against the emerging terms of the deal, current and former U.S. officials said. In addition to eavesdropping, Israel acquired information from confidential U.S. briefings, informants and diplomatic contacts in Europe, the officials said.

The espionage didn’t upset the White House as much as Israel’s sharing of inside information with U.S. lawmakers and others to drain support from a high-stakes deal intended to limit Iran’s nuclear program, current and former officials said.

:wtf:

I am loving livid at the fact Bibi might get away with this horseshit

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
seriously considering applying for israeli citizenship so i can have the satisfaction of voting for someone other than bibi

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Avshalom posted:

seriously considering applying for israeli citizenship so i can have the satisfaction of voting for someone other than bibi

Once you do, also try and heal Sharon from his coma so he can fix this.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fizzil posted:

uh

actually i just had a dream this afternoon where he begged me to come to israel, break into his hospital room and wake him up before it was too late. i was like "ariel i have some bad news for you"

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Avshalom posted:

uh

actually i just had a dream this afternoon where he begged me to come to israel, break into his hospital room and wake him up before it was too late. i was like "ariel i have some bad news for you"

Oh no, what are you waiting for? only true love can awaken sleeping beauty from his eternal slumber :ohdear:

Also how long before the PA collapses? and what would be the consequences of that? will Israel police the territory themselves?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Fizzil posted:

Also how long before the PA collapses? and what would be the consequences of that? will Israel police the territory themselves?

Weeks possibly. They're struggling to keep the lights on as is and Obama pushed them not to shut down before the elections. Now that they've passed, it's only a matter of time. The consequences are really hard to pin down, but at this point it'll probably be influenced by how Netanyahu acted just before the election. If Obama and the rest of the world wants to pin the collapse on Netanyahu, they've got every reason to, doubly so if it's going to result in the rollback of some of the Oslo accords. Israel policing the territory directly seems hard to justify if it's caused by their collapsing the PA in the first place. Even then, resetting to the status quo ex ante is probably not going to be enough for a lot of the world by now.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fizzil posted:

Oh no, what are you waiting for? only true love can awaken sleeping beauty from his eternal slumber :ohdear:
he's been dead since january 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Fizzil posted:

Sharon's coma went from 'coma' to 'literally dead' about a year ago.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
but i still believe

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You're not truly dead until you're forgotten about imo.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Doflamingo posted:

You're not truly dead until you're forgotten about imo.
which will never happen for as long as i'm alive

he's not truly dead anyway, he continues to guide me in my dreams. today he wrote me a song. :unsmith:

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

quote:

Israel denies 'utterly false' claims it spied on U.S.

Israel on Tuesday vehemently denied claims that it had spied on the U.S. during the Iranian negotiations, as reported earlier by The Wall Street Journal.

Official in the Prime Minister’s Office called the allegations "utterly false."

"The State of Israel does not conduct espionage against the United States or Israel’s other allies. The false allegations are clearly intended to undermine the strong ties between the United States and Israel and the security and intelligence relationship we share," they said.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said Israel had not received an official complaint from the American administration over such claims and that "there is no way, and there was no way, that Israel spied on the Americans. That is seriously forbidden among every level of Israel's policy leaders."

"Israel's security-intelligence relationship with the U.S. has suffered no harm, someone is just trying to stir conflict," Ya'alon said. "It's a shame that such winds are blowing into the clandestine channels in which we conduct this relationship."

https://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.648550

Obama is expected to come out in support of Israel later today.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Lol, that just reminds me of the Palin "I read everything!" answer. I would believe pretty much anything about Israel spying on the US except that they don't do it at all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Phone posting so no quotes or links but globes is reporting that Bibi is considering a unity government with Herzog and Kahlon as means to repair the damage he's done diplomatically.

Sounds a bit bullshit right now but who knows, might just be a way to scare Bennett into submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

"The State of Israel does not conduct espionage against the United States or Israel’s other allies."

Uuuh.

Uuuuuuuuuh?

That line might work better if you weren't simultaneously lobbying for the return of a spy you used to spy on the United States, there, guy.

Why are Israeli diplomats so poo poo?

• Locked thread