Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cicero posted:

I hope this actually gets on the ballot, I'd vote for it.

It's still an unconstitutional attack on freedom of speech :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Has anyone actually gotten ahold of the Matt McLaughlin guy and asked him about his proposition? It's just too incredibly out there for me to believe it's serious. Surely he did it just to prove how absurd the system is, but everyone seems to think he really means it (many want him disbarred). Not a single article I've seen about it actually interviews the guy at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Choadmaster posted:

Has anyone actually gotten ahold of the Matt McLaughlin guy and asked him about his proposition? It's just too incredibly out there for me to believe it's serious. Surely he did it just to prove how absurd the system is, but everyone seems to think he really means it (many want him disbarred). Not a single article I've seen about it actually interviews the guy at all.

That's what I thought too, but it only really works if his previous attempt at a prop making the bible a public school literature textbook was also a joke.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

withak posted:

That's what I thought too, but it only really works if his previous attempt at a prop making the bible a public school literature textbook was also a joke.

Make it a public school literature textbook but strictly categorize it as fiction. Then watch him froth at the mouth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Make it a public school literature textbook but strictly categorize it as fiction. Then watch him froth at the mouth.

In a class on comparative mythology, which also includes the Talmud, the Koran, the Ramayana, the I Ching, and other holy ancient texts.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I agree on there being really wasteful agricultural uses of water, and I agree about the biggest impact being in the Central Valley. However, the drought is a state-wide issue, and it affects a lot of places that aren't downstream of the Central Valley. I'm in the Bay Area, and my water is coming down from the Sierras. Reforming agriculture in the Central Valley will do nothing to make water more available on the San Francisco peninsula; we have to conserve at the civilian and industrial level, because that's where our water is going.

I keep remembering the Berkeley slogans of the 1970s-1980s:

In this land of sun and fun/We don't flush for Number One.

Our house had low-flow toilets when we moved in. I'm contemplating installing those toilets that have two flush levels, one for pee and one for larger substances. I also want to think about some sort of grey-water system long-term. I am a passionate gardener, and I want to keep my roses alive with a clear conscience. They're already on a drip system.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

withak posted:

None of the articles I read mentioned that, either. Ah well, Poe's law...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If we start by publicly executing the biggest water offenders (I'm looking at you LA) the rest of the state will fall in line.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If we start by publicly executing the biggest water offenders (I'm looking at you LA) the rest of the state will fall in line.

Murder a bunch of Mexicans and rich farmers will stop being shits, yes this is a good plan.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

computer parts posted:

Murder a bunch of Mexicans and rich farmers will stop being shits, yes this is a good plan.

No no no, Mexicans living in LA can't even afford an apartment let alone water. I'm talking about all those rich shits with their million dollar pools.

Either way LA needs to go. And take the Laker and Clippers with them. Also the Raiders if they want to crawl back to them those fuckers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No no no, Mexicans living in LA can't even afford an apartment let alone water. I'm talking about all those rich shits with their million dollar pools.

Either way LA needs to go. And take the Laker and Clippers with them. Also the Raiders if they want to crawl back to them those fuckers.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_25090363/california-drought-water-use-varies-widely-around-state

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bzzt! Sacramento is actually worse!

quote:

"There's been a huge amount of water conservation implemented in Southern California," said Erlewine, who pointed out that despite a population increase of 3 million over the past 20 years, water use in Southern California has remained flat.

According to the state Department of Water Resources (DWR), daily urban water use in the major metropolitan areas of Southern California averages 189 gallons per person, which is 90 gallons per day less than people in the Sacramento area use.

DWR cautions that low or high water use is not necessarily an indicator of efficiency, as climate and land use factors can have a significant effect on water use. San Francisco Bay Area residents, for example, use just a little more than half as much water as people in Sacramento.

EDIT: The article above says it even better, with graphics.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Fine, cut us off from LA then. :smug:

EDIT: I mean my hatred of LA stems more with the Lakers than water wastage but why isn't a two-California plan a feasible plan? The state seems too big to manage.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 24, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Is it constitutional to pass a ballot of attainder.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fine, cut us off from LA then. :smug:

EDIT: I mean my hatred of LA stems more with the Lakers than water wastage but why isn't a two-California plan a feasible plan? The state seems too big to manage.

Because the city of LA has a GDP larger than most countries and is the 3rd largest GDP city in the world, after Tokyo and NYC.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Sportsball the best source of wisdom.

But yeah Greater LA as a single entity is the 5th most populated (theoretical) State in the US all by itself, and has all the money Sacramento gorges on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As a midwest transplant who's lived ~8 years in LA and ~5 in the Bay Area, it always tickles me how much southern and northern Californians loath one another. As far as I can tell, the only notable difference is that SoCal people put "the" in front of freeway numbers, and NorCal people use "hella" instead of "very". Beyond that, you're equally weird to people outside the state. :v:

Bip Roberts posted:

Is it constitutional to pass a ballot of attainder.

No, both props are unconstitutional as hell. If the "kill all the gays" one passed (it won't), it'd be slapped with an emergency injunction immediately, and laughed out of any court it was brought in to. If this one passed, pretty much the same thing would happen since it shits on freedom of speech pretty blatantly. The point is simply to publicly poo poo on the guy bringing up the kill all gays prop by putting up an opposing prop and having it get way more support. I very much doubt either one will get to the ballot.

Edit: And now I'm curious - can you retract ballot propositions you've put forward, even if they get the requisite number of signatures? Because if so, I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to just prove a point by getting enough sigs to put this one on the ballot while the homophobic one falls short, and then pull it to prevent the hassle down the line if it passed.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 24, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I've found that the hatred is pretty much one way. I have yet to meet a Southern Californian who has strong opinions on Northern California beyond rolling their eyes at the use of "hella".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I've found that the hatred is pretty much one way. I have yet to meet a Southern Californian who has strong opinions on Northern California beyond rolling their eyes at the use of "hella".

Huh, I guess you're right. I never really heard much about NorCal when I lived in LA beyond "gently caress the Sharks/Giants", and when I moved up here for school all I ever heard from my SoCal roommate was him griping about how stupid "hella" was. And the freeways being poo poo and how much better "The 5" was. :allears: Meanwhile the way people talk about SoCal up here, you'd think they lost an independence war or something, it's absurd.

Although at least in the Bay Area, everybody seems to be willing to suspend their hatred of all things southern Californian when it comes to Disney Land. :v: People liked it well enough down south, but up here it's a goddamn cult.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Sydin posted:

Huh, I guess you're right. I never really heard much about NorCal when I lived in LA beyond "gently caress the Sharks/Giants", and when I moved up here for school all I ever heard from my SoCal roommate was him griping about how stupid "hella" was. And the freeways being poo poo and how much better "The 5" was. :allears: Meanwhile the way people talk about SoCal up here, you'd think they lost an independence war or something, it's absurd.
Basically same.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Bzzt! Sacramento is actually worse!

EDIT: The article above says it even better, with graphics.

Sacramento is like the second most likely city to flood in america (per some article I read years ago). It is just self defense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It stems from people in southern california basically thinking their experience is representative of the whole state. "California" is "LA" to them. NorCal residents deeply resent this, because really the southern part of the state is quite different - climatically, politically, economically, and in other ways.

Actually maybe it isn't even people in LA, specifically, so much as it is everyone in the country whose visits to California are centered on LA. If you've only ever been to the LA greater metro area, you haven't actually experienced "California."

I suspect people who live in New York State feel the same about being lumped in with NYC.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I guess that's why California Gurlz is usually touted by OC/LA kids.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
All Norcal/Socal divides are immediately forgotten, however, when the topic of Texas is raised. Because gently caress those guys.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

All Norcal/Socal divides are immediately forgotten, however, when the topic of Texas is raised. Because gently caress those guys.

Hella yes. The thing that unites all Californians is our abiding hatred for Texas.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Remember, Cali - every time you set trip, Rick Perry's hair gets just a little more lustrous.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

paranoid randroid posted:

Having grown up there, I can attest that all such hate is fairly placed.

Now New Mexicans, they're equal opportunity haters. Californian, Texan, both are anathema.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Leperflesh posted:

It stems from people in southern california basically thinking their experience is representative of the whole state. "California" is "LA" to them. NorCal residents deeply resent this, because really the southern part of the state is quite different - climatically, politically, economically, and in other ways.

Actually maybe it isn't even people in LA, specifically, so much as it is everyone in the country whose visits to California are centered on LA. If you've only ever been to the LA greater metro area, you haven't actually experienced "California."

I suspect people who live in New York State feel the same about being lumped in with NYC.

This. I have lived in both north and south and I think it is a big resentment thing. In my experience, it seems the north talking a lot more than the south but there are a lot of converts back and forth.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Hella yes. The thing that unites all Californians is our abiding hatred for Texas.

This is sort of like the NorCal/SoCal divide: I rarely hear Californians complain about Texans, yet whenever someone complains about California they inevitably turn out to be from Austin.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Leperflesh posted:

In a class on comparative mythology, which also includes the Talmud, the Koran, the Ramayana, the I Ching, and other holy ancient texts.

I like this idea, so long as the class is organized equitably and chronologically.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

Socal: Worst place ever except for all those places that aren't California (and Fresno).

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

This is sort of like the NorCal/SoCal divide: I rarely hear Californians complain about Texans, yet whenever someone complains about California they inevitably turn out to be from Austin.

Eh, when I lived in the Seattle area, a lot of my friends there loved to bitch about how the goddamn Californians and their stupid tech jobs were ruining everything. The hate was especially genuine in northern Idaho, where apparently Californian summer home havers were trying to halt development to keep the area more rustic.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 24, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VikingofRock posted:

Mostly due to population probably. I've heard bitching from Austin to Portland to Boise, although the latter (or Idaho in general) mostly gets the conservatives.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

VikingofRock posted:

Absolutely true, in my experience Texans talk way more about Californian than Californians talk about Texas. Part of it is definitely the influx of Californians to Texas in recent years but that doesn't really seem to account for all of it. What's obnoxious is that the state leadership (previously Rick Perry and now Abbott) are capitalizing on this and like to play up the rivalry for attention.

Also Texans absolutely cannot get over the fact that they were a country once (for ten years and it was a disaster, but ignore that part).

Bizarro Watt fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 24, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bizarro Watt posted:

Also Texans absolutely cannot get over the fact that they were a country once (for ten years and it was a disaster, but ignore that part).
California was, briefly, its own sovereign country too (check our state flag for details).

Hawaii was an independent kingdom for hundreds of years.

But no, those don't count and Texas is superawesome and unique and deserves all sorts of respect and deference because yee haw it was once the (proudly slaveholding) Republic of Texas.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

FMguru posted:

California was, briefly, its own sovereign country too (check our state flag for details).

But no, those don't count and Texas is superawesome and unique and deserves all sorts of respect and deference because yee haw it was once the (proudly slaveholding) Republic of Texas.

California was its own republic for like a month, so it doesn't generally impress anyone if it's mentioned.

Telling people that the Vermont Republic lasted for 14 years though, that's always fun. They even abolished slavery!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bizarro Watt posted:

California was its own republic for like a month, so it doesn't generally impress anyone if it's mentioned.

That is because California loved america unlike those traitorous Texans who only joined to mooch and tried to leave later.
California loves America way more than Texas.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Definitely a unifying thing about California: gently caress Texas.

I love when people try to tell me about how AWESOME Austin is, and I just have to remind them that uh, it's in loving Texas.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FMguru posted:

Hawaii was a group of tribes until white people chose a compliant chief and gave him guns. Hawaii as a kingdom is an entirely imperial construction and lasted in that form for a little over a hundred years until other white people decided they didn't need the fiction of an independent kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jeeves posted:

Definitely a unifying thing about California: gently caress Texas.

I love when people try to tell me about how AWESOME Austin is, and I just have to remind them that uh, it's in loving Texas.

Indeed. I've been told by coworkers how awesome Austin is before, but I just don't buy the "blue dot in a sea of red" pitch. Sure, the influx of young tech workers primarily from California has shifted city level politics to the left. Fine. You still have to deal with the conservative state government, not to mention shitheads like Abbott.

Also the weather is awful. Seriously: gently caress humidity.