Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like maybe it's what extra decks my group plays, but the minority related cards seem to be relatively infrequent, and the only question cards they form natural sounding jokes with the are "x horrible act politician/actor does to y group".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't forget the transphobic cards :eng101:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

don't forget the transphobic cards :eng101:

Didn't they remove those from later printings once it was pointed out that those were lovely? I mean, credit where it's due, and all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It all makes sense now; Plutonis is one of the Boys from Brazil.

Civilization and the human genepool went downhill after infanticide became a taboo, friend. Fortunately China is getting a strong genetic stock due to their one child policies so all is not lost, even though my own blood is tainted due to the several cases of leprosy, thalidomide syndrome, four chromosomes and extreme mental illnesses in my family.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

extreme mental illnesses in my family.

It all becomes clear.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

So we should stop coddling you?

I'm 50% stronger than anyone here except the yospos muscle guy, which I'm 5% weaker yet I still have the advantage due to the willingness to kill that borderline sociopathy and berserker training gives to you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I'm 50% stronger than anyone here except the yospos muscle guy, which I'm 5% weaker yet I still have the advantage due to the willingness to kill that borderline sociopathy and berserker training gives to you.
Plutonis posting his FATAL char sheet ITT.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Plutonis is the best roleplayer ITT.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

If all that gives is 2d20 pick high, I'd take it back to the store for a refund.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the point if CaH to be offensive and to make light of awful ideas and scenarios? Like, a nice and respectful version might as well be Apples to Apples. It is fine to not like the premise of the game but it does pretty effectively fulfill its design goals. Offensive and mean poo poo can still be funny and people are going to laugh at stuff that they would be offended by presented in a more serious tone, that's like the whole idea behind black comedy.

I will admit that I have never played CAH but the idea seems sound if you are into games like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've played half a game of CAH, and that's really all anyone really needs to play. After that it was pretty much "okay, yup, I get the joke".

It's more that the game makes people feel "shocking" and "transgressive" like they're breaking all these taboos that polite society doesn't want them to!

Serf
May 5, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Isn't the point if CaH to be offensive and to make light of awful ideas and scenarios? Like, a nice and respectful version might as well be Apples to Apples. It is fine to not like the premise of the game but it does pretty effectively fulfill its design goals. Offensive and mean poo poo can still be funny and people are going to laugh at stuff that they would be offended by presented in a more serious tone, that's like the whole idea behind black comedy.

I will admit that I have never played CAH but the idea seems sound if you are into games like that.

If the point of your game is to court lovely people and entertain them by letting them laugh at marginalized groups, great. But that doesn't mean we won't call them out and criticize them for perpetuating this terrible poo poo. As has been pointed out, CAH is a fantastic tool for revealing the bigots and lovely human beings among your group of friends for immediate ostracizing. But that's not the spirit in which it was designed, nor the intended use for it as a game according to the creators themselves.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i didn't think pumpy dumper posted here, so i guess it's me laffo

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Are you okay, Plutonis? You don't seem too interested in being lovable today. Did something happen in the family or did you just have a rough day?

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

goodness posted:

Does anyone have some favorites they could link me to? I really like dungeon crawling/traps/monsters, god game, weird/techy/scifi stuff.

Second question, are there any RPG's that dont really have a central GM but work cooperatively somehow or something? I have a group of 3 including myself, none of us have GM'd but we are looking for a system that would be good with 3 players. Maybe it has some sort of rotating GM or a randomized/ai thing?

If you're interested in/willing to raid more traditional designs for ideas DCC's Peril on the Purple Planet Adventure/Mini-Campaign setting might be worth a look. I just got my boxed set kickstarter of it and it's the next thing I'm going to run.

Goodman is also reprinting a lot of the old Metamorphosis Alpha stuff, which is still one of the coolest old gonzo science settings ever made.

bunnielab posted:

Isn't the point if CaH to be offensive and to make light of awful ideas and scenarios?

CAH is an excellent litmus/rorschach test for your friends and effective for finding out more than just who's a bigot.

Edit: Added links.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 24, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The psychopath thing plus brushing up on FATE lately is making me think of minimalist, storygaming systems.
Pick a goal and flip a coin. If you call it, your character succeeds, narrate how. If you don't call it, the GM shoots you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rockopolis posted:

The psychopath thing plus brushing up on FATE lately is making me think of minimalist, storygaming systems.
Pick a goal and flip a coin. If you call it, your character succeeds, narrate how. If you don't call it, the GM shoots you.

That actually already exists. It's called the "D02: Know No Limit!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't think that game includes players being shot by the GM much.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

goodness posted:

I have been on a dry spell lately with games, either not found one that peaks my interest or just not had the time when one does. I do however have the time now to at least read some of the amazing PBP that are on this forum and others.

Does anyone have some favorites they could link me to? I really like dungeon crawling/traps/monsters, god game, weird/techy/scifi stuff.

Second question, are there any RPG's that dont really have a central GM but work cooperatively somehow or something? I have a group of 3 including myself, none of us have GM'd but we are looking for a system that would be good with 3 players. Maybe it has some sort of rotating GM or a randomized/ai thing?
PbP game suggestion:
Godgame 3: Ragnarok and the death of the gods

Some collaborative RPGs that would work with 3 players:
Remember Tomorrow (cyberpunk)
The Quiet Year (post-collapse tribal story)
Gamma Patrol (protecting a village in the mutant wasteland)
Ocean (sci-fi amnesiac mystery)
InSpectres (ghost-hunter startup company)
Vesna Thaw (defending communities with fighting robots in post-apoc Russia)
Kingdom (guide a 'kingdom' of some kind through crises and crossroads)
Life On Mars (mars mission and exploration)
Microscope (build a history from the ground up)
Geiger Counter (survival horror movie)
The Sundered Land (set of short post-apocalyptic fantasy games you can string together)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zereth posted:

I don't think that game includes players being shot by the GM much.

If you're playing it wrong, it doesn't.

Edit: Legitly, there is a game out there where your expected to initiate combat by stabbing another person's character sheet with a knife.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, I was thinking of it as a a licensed RPG system for No Country for Old Men. Or maybe just an Inevitables campaign for Planescape.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

i didn't think pumpy dumper posted here, so i guess it's me laffo

Hoho, up to a challenge, brother?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, it's exactly like that. It brings these things up to laugh at the tension they cause. It doesn't specifically call out "HEY, WE USE THIS RACIST/SEXIST/WHATEVER STEREOTYPE BECAUSE WE THINK IT IS RIDICULOUS AND FUN TO LAUGH AT" so some people believe that leaves too much room for actually racist/sexist/whatever people to feel vindicated by it. And it wouldn't do to be associated with such low-class scum. Cue the internet outrage.

Don't get me wrong, the game sucks. Apples to Apples works because some answers are gonna fit, some are gonna miss and some are gonna be funny. There's a prompt card in Cards Against Humanity that reads, "______: The Musical." Once you've seen that, you've experienced every card in the game. Every card fits that equally because all the answer cards are lists that teenagers wrote of things that are "soooo rando!". Two naked midgets making GBS threads in a bucket: The Musical. A bigger, blacker cock: The Musical. Helen Keller: The Musical. Repeat ad nauseum if you aren't already ad nauseumated. It will never be more or less funny than that.

Like, hey, I loved the first season of South Park. A gay dog? Barbara Streisand turning into a robot? It was awesome because it was like nothing I've ever seen before and totally crossed the line with joyous impunity. Since that first season I'm sure I've seen fewer than four whole episodes of South Park. It's all the same jokes. Everyone is incredibly awful and stupid, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Celebrities are incredibly bizarre aliens. Blah blah blah. Cards Against Humanity is mining the same source of humor though possibly with less nuance. Possibly.

So get offended if you want. Call it racist if you want. Part of the point of things like these are to inspire that outrage so that those outraged can be laughed at as well. You're clearly not comfortable and can't handle being uncomfortable. That tension is funny. Check out the youtube video of Frank Zappa debating an outraged Christian moralist about filthy song lyrics on Crossfire. Or listen to William F. Buckley talk about decency and gay rights. Or look at any picture of those concerned Prohibitionist ladies. Aren't they having a ball.

That's you! Chill out and laugh at yourself.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MartianAgitator posted:

Yeah, it's exactly like that. It brings these things up to laugh at the tension they cause. It doesn't specifically call out "HEY, WE USE THIS RACIST/SEXIST/WHATEVER STEREOTYPE BECAUSE WE THINK IT IS RIDICULOUS AND FUN TO LAUGH AT" so some people believe that leaves too much room for actually racist/sexist/whatever people to feel vindicated by it. And it wouldn't do to be associated with such low-class scum. Cue the internet outrage.

Don't get me wrong, the game sucks. Apples to Apples works because some answers are gonna fit, some are gonna miss and some are gonna be funny. There's a prompt card in Cards Against Humanity that reads, "______: The Musical." Once you've seen that, you've experienced every card in the game. Every card fits that equally because all the answer cards are lists that teenagers wrote of things that are "soooo rando!". Two naked midgets making GBS threads in a bucket: The Musical. A bigger, blacker cock: The Musical. Helen Keller: The Musical. Repeat ad nauseum if you aren't already ad nauseumated. It will never be more or less funny than that.

Like, hey, I loved the first season of South Park. A gay dog? Barbara Streisand turning into a robot? It was awesome because it was like nothing I've ever seen before and totally crossed the line with joyous impunity. Since that first season I'm sure I've seen fewer than four whole episodes of South Park. It's all the same jokes. Everyone is incredibly awful and stupid, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Celebrities are incredibly bizarre aliens. Blah blah blah. Cards Against Humanity is mining the same source of humor though possibly with less nuance. Possibly.

So get offended if you want. Call it racist if you want. Part of the point of things like these are to inspire that outrage so that those outraged can be laughed at as well. You're clearly not comfortable and can't handle being uncomfortable. That tension is funny. Check out the youtube video of Frank Zappa debating an outraged Christian moralist about filthy song lyrics on Crossfire. Or listen to William F. Buckley talk about decency and gay rights. Or look at any picture of those concerned Prohibitionist ladies. Aren't they having a ball.

That's you! Chill out and laugh at yourself.

Speaking of lacking nuance, hi Zak.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Error 404 posted:

It's certainly possible to have humor loaded with racist or sexist nonsense that's still funny in context. There are a lot of humorists that use it to either make a genuine statement or just as a means to absurdism.

But if you're going to take up that battle, Cards Against Humanity isn't a great place to draw your fuckin' line.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hoho, up to a challenge, brother?

howmuchyabench

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's certainly possible to have humor loaded with racist or sexist nonsense that's still funny in context. There are a lot of humorists that use it to either make a genuine statement or just as a means to absurdism.

But if you're going to take up that battle, Cards Against Humanity isn't a great place to draw your fuckin' line.

I agree, you made my point better than I could. The early standup of Eddy Murphy is a good example, he says some super vile stuff but I still laugh.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Like I said, the game's existence is great because if people laugh at certain things, they get the boot.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Error 404 posted:

Well, I'm trying to get where the hater-haters are coming from. Maybe racial or homophobic issues are something you need to deal with everyday. But I doubt it. It really looks like an internet echo chamber where everyone is practicing their despise-writing like amateur film critics. Why is it important to express such vitriol all the time?

I'll give you some examples of what I mean. Before 5th Edition got rolling, a lot of people on this forum were saying "Don't worry, Mearls worked on 4th Ed, he gets it!" Now it's hate, hate, hate. I'm an old-school Monte Cook fan because I was there for his greatest hits: Dead Gods, The Great Modron March, the Dark Matter campaign setting, the list really does go on. Numenera, of course, is pretty drat ugly as a system. And that was the last thing Monte Cook did, so it's just hate, hate, hate. People cite his Ivory Tower game design article thinking it's a defense of that style. Who would title an article "Ivory Tower" anything if they were defending it?!

Or the dickwolves Penny Arcade strip. It's fine that exists. It makes light of a prisoner being raped by a fantasy animal. So what? People will say anything. Some folks saw that and told the PA guys it offended them. Okay. The PA guys could have said, "Okay, I understand it offended you. We make humor in this area because that edginess makes it funnier for us. We respect that it bothers you and we ask that you respect our sense of humor and then we can both leave each other alone." They didn't say that, though, and the poo poo hit the fan.

Your guys' outrage is the juice for that fan. That's just where the Trad Games hive mind is right now. Okay. I'm pointing out that you're hive-minding and I don't see why. Does anyone have a story where they were playing Cards and it turned out the guy who laughed hardest at the racist stereotypes in the game turned out to be racist? I think someone who actually thought Mexicans were incredibly lazy wouldn't laugh at the bland way Cards presents that. They'd just agree.

I feel like you guys just all need to get drunk and talk about your hopes and fears about racism and end up with some Breakfast Club-style understanding-ful ending. Because a big part of black comedy is getting people like you to recognize how uncomfortable you are and figure out why you spend so much effort patting each others' backs about how noble you are for having such perfect disdain for people who are different from you.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
OK so moving on from that post which I didn't read a word of, and which nobody else probably read either, in more important news it's my birthday today.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Happy birthday.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

OK so moving on from that post which I didn't read a word of, and which nobody else probably read either, in more important news it's my birthday today.

Happy Birthday.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Happy birthday! :) Planning anything trad-games related?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Happy birthday! :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

birthday party idea generator, i would assume

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MartianAgitator posted:

Well, I'm trying to get where the hater-haters are coming from. Maybe racial or homophobic issues are something you need to deal with everyday. But I doubt it. It really looks like an internet echo chamber where everyone is practicing their despise-writing like amateur film critics. Why is it important to express such vitriol all the time?

I'll give you some examples of what I mean. Before 5th Edition got rolling, a lot of people on this forum were saying "Don't worry, Mearls worked on 4th Ed, he gets it!" Now it's hate, hate, hate. I'm an old-school Monte Cook fan because I was there for his greatest hits: Dead Gods, The Great Modron March, the Dark Matter campaign setting, the list really does go on. Numenera, of course, is pretty drat ugly as a system. And that was the last thing Monte Cook did, so it's just hate, hate, hate. People cite his Ivory Tower game design article thinking it's a defense of that style. Who would title an article "Ivory Tower" anything if they were defending it?!

Or the dickwolves Penny Arcade strip. It's fine that exists. It makes light of a prisoner being raped by a fantasy animal. So what? People will say anything. Some folks saw that and told the PA guys it offended them. Okay. The PA guys could have said, "Okay, I understand it offended you. We make humor in this area because that edginess makes it funnier for us. We respect that it bothers you and we ask that you respect our sense of humor and then we can both leave each other alone." They didn't say that, though, and the poo poo hit the fan.

Your guys' outrage is the juice for that fan. That's just where the Trad Games hive mind is right now. Okay. I'm pointing out that you're hive-minding and I don't see why. Does anyone have a story where they were playing Cards and it turned out the guy who laughed hardest at the racist stereotypes in the game turned out to be racist? I think someone who actually thought Mexicans were incredibly lazy wouldn't laugh at the bland way Cards presents that. They'd just agree.

I feel like you guys just all need to get drunk and talk about your hopes and fears about racism and end up with some Breakfast Club-style understanding-ful ending. Because a big part of black comedy is getting people like you to recognize how uncomfortable you are and figure out why you spend so much effort patting each others' backs about how noble you are for having such perfect disdain for people who are different from you.

are you for real

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Captain Foo posted:

are you for real

nuance

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

are you for real

Happy Birthday

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuego Fish posted:

Happy Birthday!
Post in Xmengame (i dont know if its even your turn, just post cuz forge owns)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BrainParasite posted:

Happy Birthday

feliz navidad

• Locked thread