Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I like to say the bad words and make crass jokes and being a rude boy but i aint making a huge carepost about it. Fare thee well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Rockopolis posted:

The psychopath thing plus brushing up on FATE lately is making me think of minimalist, storygaming systems.
Pick a goal and flip a coin. If you call it, your character succeeds, narrate how. If you don't call it, the GM shoots you.

I've always wanted to run minimalist RIFTS. Your character is three words, like "elf nuclear mage" or "bionic ninja dragon" or something. Every roll is 1d6, 1-3 is fail, 4-6 is succeed, +1 to your roll if you can relate your action to your three words. Every hit does one damage, everything has three hit points. GO.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Fuego Fish posted:

OK so moving on from that post which I didn't read a word of, and which nobody else probably read either, in more important news it's my birthday today.

Happy Birthday!

Source your quotes.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Happy birthday.
Dog years or human years?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MartianAgitator posted:

I've always wanted to run minimalist RIFTS. Your character is three words, like "elf nuclear mage" or "bionic ninja dragon" or something. Every roll is 1d6, 1-3 is fail, 4-6 is succeed, +1 to your roll if you can relate your action to your three words. Every hit does one damage, everything has three hit points. GO.

OctaNe is for you

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
CAH wound up being kind of an important turning point for me because it changed my whole perception of card games (admittedly because I'd totally missed out on Apples to Apples), and directly led to Channel A. But then CAH just kind of kept going doing the same stuff, and it was easy to get tired of it, especially as the problems with the game and its creators became more obvious.

I was talking to a publisher who wanted to make their own CAH type game (because he was frustrated with their insistence on not doing any kind of normal distribution, so that it never showed up in game stores except at hugely inflated prices). It fell through, but I ended up finishing i.hate.everyone, which adds a bunch of special card effects (some involving talking in funny voices, but also stuff to mix up the cards to keep players' hands from getting stagnant). I kind of want to go through it to weed out any lovely, down-punching stuff, but I'm pretty sure I had a lot less of that than CAH did in the first place.

(Also I made a Creative Commons thing because I got tired of seeing people get C&Ds from the CAH guys.)

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Captain Foo posted:

OctaNe is for you

What are its highlights?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The thing about CAH is that it can be played for free in your browser with almost zero prep and only takes about twenty minutes, plus you barely have to deal with rules which made it ideal for winding down after the main game. I don't care for CAH itself but we never found anything else to fill that niche.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I was honestly unaware that the original publishers still sold copies of CAH at all. I thought the whole thing was kept afloat by the browser game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PresidentBeard posted:

I was honestly unaware that the original publishers still sold copies of CAH at all. I thought the whole thing was kept afloat by the browser game.

They sell shitloads of expansions.

quote:

Cards Against Humanity: 550 cards (460 white, 90 black)
Cards Against Humanity: First Expansion: 112 cards (80 white, 20 black, + 8 white, 4 black blank cards)
Cards Against Humanity: Second Expansion: 112 cards (75 white, 25 black, + 8 white, 4 black blank cards)
Cards Against Humanity: Third Expansion: 112 cards (75 white, 25 black, + 8 white, 4 black blank cards)
Cards Against Humanity: Fourth Expansion: 112 cards (70 white, 30 black, + 8 white, 4 black blank cards)
Cards Against Humanity: Fifth Expansion: 112 cards (75 white, 25 black, + 8 white, 4 black blank cards)
2012 Holiday Pack: 30 cards, (23 white, 7 black) profits donated to the Wikimedia Foundation
2013 Holiday Pack: 30 cards (21 white, 9 black), profits donated to DonorsChoose.org
90s Nostalgia Pack: 30 cards (23 white, 7 black), 1990s themed
Science Pack: 30 cards (will be available for purchase early 2015)
The Bigger, Blacker Box: Foam filler, card dividers, 50 blank cards (40 white, 10 black), the Box Expansion (20 white/black cards related to boxes), and a card hidden under the inside paper lining of the box cover[18]
There have been ten limited or unevenly distributed expansions:

Reject Pack: 24 cards (each co-creator picks three cards that were rejected from print)
House of Cards Pack: 25 cards (16 white, 9 black) (cards are all associated with the Netflix series House of Cards)
TableTop Expansion Pack: 15 cards (12 white, 3 black) (a $20 contribution reward for the TableTop Indiegogo campaign)
PAX East 2013 Promo Packs: 30 cards total (24 white, 6 black) over three packs labeled "A", "B", and "C". Each pack contains 10 cards (8 white, 2 black).
PAX Prime 2013 Promo Packs: 44 cards total, randomly given out booster packs
PAX East 2014 Promo Packs: 27 cards total, randomly inserted booster packs within packets of oatmeal
PAX East 2014 Panel Pack: 10 cards (5 white, 5 black), given out for attending the Cards Against Humanity panel
PAX Prime 2014 Panel Pack: 10 cards (5 white, 5 black), given out for attending the Cards Against Humanity panel
Ten Days or Whatever of Kwanzaa: limited to 250,000 people for the 2014 holiday season.
Cards Against Humanity Base Set: Australian Edition: 550 total cards (460 white, 90 black), in which "we rewrote about 15% of the game, swapping gross Americanisms for fair dinkum Aussie corkers"[19]

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MartianAgitator posted:

That's just where the Trad Games hive mind is right now. Okay. I'm pointing out that you're hive-minding and I don't see why.

Because you're a butt.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Because you're a butt.

Shut up and kiss me.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Fuego Fish posted:

OK so moving on from that post which I didn't read a word of, and which nobody else probably read either, in more important news it's my birthday today.

Happy Birthday!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MartianAgitator posted:

Why is it important to express such vitriol all the time?

Silence is acceptance. If something is hosed up or perpetuates harm, speaking out is the only tool available for most people - especially online.

I find the backlash against this is really interesting, the rage against SJWs seems rooted in this weird inability or disdain to judge. Except here judgement is socially acceptable and encouraged because you're judging those who would dare to make moral judgements about others.

The status quo has become to stay in your lane; If something offends you the problem is you. But if anyone violates that convention, spam rape-threats.

It's like the evil genie granted what last generation's liberals wished for. The social tools of gay/trans acceptance are being used to defend the "lifestyle choices" of rape jokes and racist Mad Libs. I sometimes wish I'd gone into social sciences because this poo poo is loving fascinating.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

MartianAgitator posted:

Well, I'm trying to get where the hater-haters are coming from. Maybe racial or homophobic issues are something you need to deal with everyday. But I doubt it. It really looks like an internet echo chamber where everyone is practicing their despise-writing like amateur film critics. Why is it important to express such vitriol all the time?

Well...add transphobic and misogynistic to that and you'd actually be right. There's the thing. I interact with a lot of people here on IRC, and I'd say about a quarter, probably less fit the stereotypical "white male bearded bachelor" archetype that we somehow think of when we think "RPG players". The rest are women, or gay, or lesbian, or trans, or something else I'm missing, and yes, they do have to deal with those issues on a regular basis.

MartianAgitator posted:

I'll give you some examples of what I mean. Before 5th Edition got rolling, a lot of people on this forum were saying "Don't worry, Mearls worked on 4th Ed, he gets it!" Now it's hate, hate, hate. I'm an old-school Monte Cook fan because I was there for his greatest hits: Dead Gods, The Great Modron March, the Dark Matter campaign setting, the list really does go on. Numenera, of course, is pretty drat ugly as a system. And that was the last thing Monte Cook did, so it's just hate, hate, hate. People cite his Ivory Tower game design article thinking it's a defense of that style. Who would title an article "Ivory Tower" anything if they were defending it?!

Well, I think the consensus is that D&D5e in and of itself is a functional, if slightly boring and atavistic, system. The primary objection I have personally, and that you'll occasionally see repeated here, is that two of its more fervent advocates are so absurdly dedicated to it that they resort to using homophobic/transphobic slurs, calls for ostracism and exclusion, active harassment and calls for same from their fanbase, and other such nastiness against people who they disagree with or have put out systems that want to do something besides dungeon raiding, and the D&D5e executives' lukewarm response to their antics seem like tacit approval of same.

MartianAgitator posted:

...Your guys' outrage is the juice for that fan. That's just where the Trad Games hive mind is right now. Okay. I'm pointing out that you're hive-minding and I don't see why. Does anyone have a story where they were playing Cards and it turned out the guy who laughed hardest at the racist stereotypes in the game turned out to be racist? I think someone who actually thought Mexicans were incredibly lazy wouldn't laugh at the bland way Cards presents that. They'd just agree.

Actually, yes, I do have a story similar to that. Someone came into an IRC channel and offered a chance to play CAH online. Let's just say that one person got uncomfortable with the game early on and excused himself, and the game ended up falling apart when a second player decided to burn one of the more offensive cards to "get it out of their hand", and the result ended up really affecting a third player in a bad way. The resulting conversations on IRC were...heated. I ended up having to run some PMs back and forth between a few players to try to smooth things over. It made everybody uncomfortable and sad and feel awful about themselves and their friends, and that sucks.

MartianAgitator posted:

I feel like you guys just all need to get drunk and talk about your hopes and fears about racism and end up with some Breakfast Club-style understanding-ful ending. Because a big part of black comedy is getting people like you to recognize how uncomfortable you are and figure out why you spend so much effort patting each others' backs about how noble you are for having such perfect disdain for people who are different from you.

Wellllll...there's where we must disagree. Most of us are already "different" and already have to deal with disdain from others who are "different than us". It's that perfect disdain that caused Mikan to leave SA entirely, for example. When we pay our $10 and post and laugh on a forum that claims to hold itself to a higher standard than the rest of the internet, we expect to be able to do so in an environment free of that pre-existing disdain. Sometimes we fail (see the case of Mikan), but goddammit, it's worth a try. Because why should we pay $10 to make other people uncomfortable and sad when the rest of the world would do that for free?

...has this come up before? I think it's come up before.

Oh, yeah, happy birthday Fuego Fish :toot:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Davin I like your post and think you are cool

Fuego Fish posted:

Happy birthday! Our birthdays are pretty close. Isn't that a funny coincidence!

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
It's pretty untrue to say that people were really excited to have Mearls and Cook on the team for 5th Edition, the tone was much more "Well maybe they learned something and this won't be terrible." Then when Monte Cook became the moon and the design got worse everyone had a good laugh about how no one could have guessed that it was Cook keeping the game from becoming 3.X 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

For those unfamiliar what happened with Mikan?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Misandu posted:

It's pretty untrue to say that people were really excited to have Mearls and Cook on the team for 5th Edition, the tone was much more "Well maybe they learned something and this won't be terrible." Then when Monte Cook became the moon and the design got worse everyone had a good laugh about how no one could have guessed that it was Cook keeping the game from becoming 3.X 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I still can't believe how wrong we all were. "Surely all the bad decisions come from Cook!" Owned, past-MormonStarWars and every other tradgames poster.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I'll simplify my point. There is a lot of hating the sinner instead of just the sin in this forum. That's rad if you can do it with style and humor, buuuut throwing around raging hate-boners for people who think differently from you is not, in the end, too cool for anyone who wants to spread understanding. It gets tiresome, too.

Peace out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought Bruce Cordell was going to make it good because his name was on the Gamma World box. I freely acknowledge and own that mistake.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I still hold that most of 3.X's design issues and copy&paste idiocy can be attributed to Skip Williams.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Well, given what's been going on with Monte Cook and Bruce Cordell recently, everybody is drowning in poo poo and appears to be only interested in swimming deeper.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Len posted:

They sell shitloads of expansions.
Yeah, they've kept a steady stream of expansions and such coming out, and they've attracted enough obsessive collectors and such that they're probably making bank and won't be stopping churning stuff out any time soon. (Also they periodically update the base set, and they've managed to get called "SJWs" for some of the things they took out.) When the game sells out on Amazon, other sellers can move copies for the base game for like $50, and the CAH guys seem to get annoyed about this situation even though it's of their own making.

It's quite a thing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Scalping is hella common in Amazon, people were selling limited edition New 3DS for a thousand dollars there and consumers were really mad at it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PresidentBeard posted:

For those unfamiliar what happened with Mikan?

Harassed repeatedly, decided to quit designing completely.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Misandu posted:

We were really drat excited by the "three pillars", "flat math", and "mythic fighters" essays. And some really fun game design discussions sprung up in the old Next threads about how you could take those ideas and make cool games out of them. Truly, a more innocent time.

And while they had been walking things back for a while (100% combat pillar fighter vs 50% interaction bard, Mearls telling the PA guys the game wasn't for 4e fans), the actual playtest was a bit of an eye opener with how bad it was.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's funny how much the narrative is pushed that Next is a "love it or hate it" thing, when in actuality it's just overwhelmingly underwhelming.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's basically this constant back-and-forth that amounts to "NO U MAD BRO" when most people aren't flipping out and stroking each others' rage-boners. Yes, clearly some people have flip-outs sometimes, or lots of times, but most people are like "Hey, MCG is being lovely" without frothing at the mouth.

Very few high-fives are being traded over socially sensitive anger!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I for one thought from the start nothing good could come from the mind that came up with Essentials. :colbert:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

UnCO3 posted:

PbP game suggestion:
Godgame 3: Ragnarok and the death of the gods

Some collaborative RPGs that would work with 3 players:
Remember Tomorrow (cyberpunk)
The Quiet Year (post-collapse tribal story)
Gamma Patrol (protecting a village in the mutant wasteland)
Ocean (sci-fi amnesiac mystery)
InSpectres (ghost-hunter startup company)
Vesna Thaw (defending communities with fighting robots in post-apoc Russia)
Kingdom (guide a 'kingdom' of some kind through crises and crossroads)
Life On Mars (mars mission and exploration)
Microscope (build a history from the ground up)
Geiger Counter (survival horror movie)
The Sundered Land (set of short post-apocalyptic fantasy games you can string together)

This is exactly what I was looking for thanks! 2/3 people are brand new to paper RPGs, do any of those stand out as a good system for new players?

MartianAgitator posted:

Like, hey, I loved the first season of South Park. A gay dog? Barbara Streisand turning into a robot? It was awesome because it was like nothing I've ever seen before and totally crossed the line with joyous impunity. Since that first season I'm sure I've seen fewer than four whole episodes of South Park. It's all the same jokes. Everyone is incredibly awful and stupid, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Celebrities are incredibly bizarre aliens. Blah blah blah. Cards Against Humanity is mining the same source of humor though possibly with less nuance. Possibly.

:laffo: you are the person that only sees poop jokes when they think of South Park.

goodness fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 24, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

Silence is acceptance. If something is hosed up or perpetuates harm, speaking out is the only tool available for most people - especially online.

I find the backlash against this is really interesting, the rage against SJWs seems rooted in this weird inability or disdain to judge. Except here judgement is socially acceptable and encouraged because you're judging those who would dare to make moral judgements about others.

The status quo has become to stay in your lane; If something offends you the problem is you. But if anyone violates that convention, spam rape-threats.

It's like the evil genie granted what last generation's liberals wished for. The social tools of gay/trans acceptance are being used to defend the "lifestyle choices" of rape jokes and racist Mad Libs. I sometimes wish I'd gone into social sciences because this poo poo is loving fascinating.

The other problem is the "tumblr SJW", who by dint of loudness became the "face" of the concept social justice. These are the people who have no sense of scale to their moral outage: all offenses are equally offensive, all injustice is equally terrible. They have the same rage level regardless of if they're seeing a news story about a trans teen being beaten to death or if they're a vegan seeing someone post a picture of their steak dinner on their photostream. And because they treat every slight as the end of the loving world, people now associate even a basic statement as "misogyny is bad" with stuff like "my doctor said I needed to lose weight because I'm running a severe health risk HOW DARE HE FAT SHAME ME".

And yes, that's a thing I honestly saw on tumblr.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Speaking as a fat person, the entire fat acceptance movement is terrible and not worth saving. The idea of being nicer to fat people to help them lose weight has been entirely consumed (heh) by the people who want everyone to praise them for being tubs of mobile lard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

goodness posted:

:laffo: you are the person that only sees poop jokes when they think of South Park.

Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poop is a very recurring character.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

Speaking as a fat person, the entire fat acceptance movement is terrible and not worth saving. The idea of being nicer to fat people to help them lose weight has been entirely consumed (heh) by the people who want everyone to praise them for being tubs of mobile lard.

The funny thing (to me, anyway) about that person getting mad on tumblr because her doctor cares more about that person's weight than their outrage is that, not a week beforehand, my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, my numbers were more that triple the normal levels, and that I had to change my diet and lose weight or I'd jump into fully diabetic and have to start taking insulin and all that fun stuff.

Amazingly, my first thought was not "how dare he suggest I might be portly!", but "oh poo poo, I need to start eating better". I can't even imagine why you'd think otherwise.

(Fun Fact: that was the first time I went to the doctor in like 25 years. Let's hear it for good timing!)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poop is a very recurring character.

10/257 episodes is not very reoccurring.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If anything, it's 10 too many.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He was on the videogames as well. That is worth something.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

PresidentBeard posted:

The movement is because dieting itself has been shown to be dangerous more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kai Tave posted:

I've gotta be honest, I've never really understood the fascination people have with FATAL. It's not even creatively purile or anything. If you really have a pressing need to bring a bunch of uncreative racism and dick jokes to the gaming table Cards Against Humanity exists and plays a lot quicker.

For me it's mostly that it was my first really awful RPG, and I think it's the same for a lot of people. You'll have experienced two, maybe three systems that have their quirks, but are largely functional and not completely insane(say... D&D, Vampire the Masquerade and Paranoia), and then you open this .PDF and your mind just boggles at the completely non-functional rules and the racist slurs and feces on every page. It's the archetypal insane poo poo RPG that gets thrown at every newbie in the hobby for a laugh at their reaction, so it sticks in people's minds.

EDIT: ^^^^is that some actual defense of "fat acceptance" because that's loving hilarious

• Locked thread