Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/AqLvXJh.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Well, that's not false advertising on the part of the manufacturer at all :3:

(i am assuming it says happycow)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BooLoo posted:

How can you have 5 cats and not learn the golden cat rule, if you want them to be interested they never ever will be :3:

See also: Purpose made cat beds as opposed to the empty box it came in.

Yeah, I know. I still try sometimes, though.

My niece gave my cats a small toy mice that walks around on its own and I though my cats would love it. They did watch it move from afar, with worried looks. But none of then wanted to play with it. When I tried to convince then to do it, they just got scared and ran away.

For one of my cats I once bought several toys, a small mice with catnip inside, bouncing balls, small rubber insects etc. It all got completely ignored by her, even with me throwing then around.

Then she choose a toy for herself: crumpled paper balls. Is the only thing she will play with, and she never gets tired of it. Guess I cant complain, there is no cheaper toy.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Elias_Maluco posted:

Then she choose a toy for herself: crumpled paper balls. Is the only thing she will play with, and she never gets tired of it. Guess I cant complain, there is no cheaper toy.

When I was a kid our old alley cat wouldn't play around with much but loved paper balls. Whenever I'd get Taco Bell I'd roll up the wrapper and toss em down the hallway for her to chase and bring back in her mouth.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

We had a labrador like that. I've owned dogs for forty years and not one ever had to be taught how to catch food. They're dogs, it's food, it's coming in at face height, chomp. Easy. Even if you don't get it the first time, the concept comes naturally, right?

But not this dog. It would bounce off his head, fall on the ground and then he'd eat it. Every time. We were initially worried he had vision problems. But he would chase balls okay. Wouldn't catch them of course, just sit there looking blankly at you with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth while you bounced tennis balls gently between his eyes. Then look all surprised when a ball suddenly materialised at his feet. Tennis ball? Where did that come from?

I took him to the vet to get him checked out and did the tossing food for him to get her opinion. The vet thought it was so funny she could barely stand. Her diagnosis: his eyes were fine, he was just really stupid.

This made me laugh really hard, thank you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
This is Mr. Wilson.

I adopted this old man fuzzball January of last year (Sweater and name included). They said he was around 12 when I got him but I am pretty sure he was around 14.

They picked him up off the streets 5 months before I got him so his background is unknown. He is usually glued to my lap (or a roomate's if I am not around.) They had to yank his teeth when they picked him up due to them being too rotten. This has produced a reoccurring situation that I will never tire of.

He frequently forgets his tongue is out.

He's been a mental savior and hopefully these pictures give some chuckles.

MisterFuzzles has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Mar 25, 2015

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

MisterFuzzles posted:

This photo is hilarious. Reminds me of a game I'd play with my cat Snacksy ages ago. She'd busy herself cleaning my fingers when the mood struck her and I'd try to pinch her tongue. You'd think a rough cat tongue would be easy to grab but its so slimy on the bottom. Cat owners are weird and gross.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cosima posted:

This photo is hilarious. Reminds me of a game I'd play with my cat Snacksy ages ago. She'd busy herself cleaning my fingers when the mood struck her and I'd try to pinch her tongue. You'd think a rough cat tongue would be easy to grab but its so slimy on the bottom. Cat owners are weird and gross.

I do this with my grumpy old man cat all the time. He just looks at me with a sense of resentment and goes back to cleaning himself.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

MisterFuzzles posted:

This is Mr. Wilson.

I adopted this old man fuzzball January of last year (Sweater and name included). They said he was around 12 when I got him but I am pretty sure he was around 14.

They picked him up off the streets 5 months before I got him so his background is unknown. He is usually glued to my lap (or a roomate's if I am not around.) They had to yank his teeth when they picked him up due to them being too rotten. This has produced a reoccurring situation that I will never tire of.

He frequently forgets his tongue is out.

You're the best :3:

OK, your cat is the best but you're a close second.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Birb Katter posted:

This is a rabbit that herds sheep

American_Sheeple_and_Government_terrorist_threats.gif

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HappyKitty posted:

"Six years... for six long years have I studied you, my nemesis... your every move, every twitch, have been my unrelenting tutors... you have been more intimate to me than a lover; your body no more a mystery to me than my own. And now, after my years of study... I STRIKE!!!:catdrugs:"

"My God.... you anticipate my every move! :aaa:"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
From the schadenfreude thread.

bobjr posted:

Have some cute freude.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bless you for caring for an older cat. :glomp:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Science really needs to study why every animal seems to love capybaras

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elias_Maluco posted:

Science really needs to study why every animal seems to love capybaras

They don't seem to be much for make sudden movements, so prey animals aren't likely to be frightened of them. Plus they're big ol' adorable guinea pigs :allears:.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They don't seem to be much for make sudden movements, so prey animals aren't likely to be frightened of them. Plus they're big ol' adorable guinea pigs :allears:.

The proportions seems vaguely leaning towards the whole 'big head, fat body, short arms' that probably triggers the universal 'this is a baby, you should love the baby, you should drop everything you are doing when this baby cries' instincts.
Mind you, trying to find the exact instinct again doesn't show me anything, so it's entirely possible that it's been dismissed as 'false' ages ago.

But, yeah, a lot of it's probably them looking very 'safe'.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Capys look very sage to me. Maybe everything is trying to glean wisdom from them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Geolicious posted:

Capys look very sage to me. Maybe everything is trying to glean wisdom from them.

They look like they'd be absolutely awesome barbecued to me :( I think my cute response is pretty broken when it comes to these guys.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

wipeout posted:

They look like they'd be absolutely awesome barbecued to me :( I think my cute response is pretty broken when it comes to these guys.

Nothing wrong with that, hunting capybaras for eating is pretty common in Brazil. And yes, the meat is very good.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geolicious posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Capybara ever move now that I think about it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

cmykjester posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Capybara ever move now that I think about it.

They don't. The Earth moves around them.

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They're so slow that a lot of times they make me drowsy just looking at them.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I'm posting from my phone on the go and I'm a couple pages behind, but this video showed up on my Facebook feed and I just had to share it with all of you. Sorry if it's a repost.
Extreme Puppy Makeover - Prank it FWD: https://youtu.be/mqyikTegYww

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Not a picture but adorable anyhow - little girl is sad that her newborn sister(?) can't go to her birthday party :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfeaCbwI2U4

E:

Geolicious posted:

Any time I see capys, they remind me of the Dalai Lama - chill, peaceful, and contented nearly all the time :)

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Mar 25, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BattleMaster posted:

They're so slow that a lot of times they make me drowsy just looking at them.

Silly Capy! That is not a straw! :colbert:

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Silly Capy! That is not a straw! :colbert:

They're so patient they wait on capillary action to bring the water up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about capybaras, I just found about a close relative of then: the patagonian mara.

They kinda look like capypara-rabbit hybrids.

EDIT: they can jump like rabbits too: http://www.arkive.org/patagonian-mara/dolichotis-patagonum/video-00.html. They are smaller, bouncing cabybaras with big ears.

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Mar 25, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about capybaras, I just found about a close relative of then: the patagonian mara.

They kinda look like capypara-rabit hybrids.

Holy poo poo kangabara. So adorably judgmental. I am sorry kangabara, I have lived my life without honor. I shall make amends.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've posted a bit about maras before, they get along very well with capys.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Oh hello!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BattleMaster posted:

I've posted a bit about maras before, they get along very well with capys.

Capys appear to enjoy buckets about as much as cats enjoy boxes

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Azhais posted:

Capys appear to enjoy buckets about as much as cats enjoy boxes

They enjoy just about any container with water in it. Battlemaster can back me up on this, there are some great videos of like 4 or 5 capys all trying to cram themselves into one bucket.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Many years ago, in a restaurant...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Does anyone want a Peregrine nest cam? Three eggs this week, so it'll be a while before babies I think, but these two are pretty cute on their own. Bird expert reckons there'll be a fourth some time later this week.

http://peregrine.group.shef.ac.uk/peregrines/

If you look now, one of them is having a snooze. :3:

I think, anyway. Not sure about bird body language but that looks like a snoozin' critter to me.

Ha, upside down dogs are great. As this site proves. http://upsidedowndogs.com/

McDragon has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Mar 25, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Beardless posted:

They enjoy just about any container with water in it. Battlemaster can back me up on this, there are some great videos of like 4 or 5 capys all trying to cram themselves into one bucket.

The picture just posted was actually a food bucket, but you're right about water tubs too. If there's a food bucket or a water tub and they can fit into it, they will. I think they like small places somewhat because they'll favour water tubs even if it's next to a larger body of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTk688cXTsA

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Did you know that ducks are almost always happy?

It's because they're usually thinking about bunnies and chicklings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

It's ok I think I lost him
http://i.imgur.com/QblQ8cO.webm

• Locked thread