Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You'll quickly run out of storage regardless. You basically need an external HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

threeagainstfour posted:

Wii U question I didn't see covered in the op.

Is there a big quality of life difference between the 8gb and 32gb models? Will I find myself quickly running out of storage if I go cheap and get the 8gb model?

Not much difference, all told - neither is really enough space, so it's worth picking up a USB drive to go with it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

threeagainstfour posted:

Wii U question I didn't see covered in the op.

Is there a big quality of life difference between the 8gb and 32gb models? Will I find myself quickly running out of storage if I go cheap and get the 8gb model?

You will quickly find yourself running out of space on either model, honestly.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The 32 gig will just help you prolong the inevitable, unless you never download games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

epitasis posted:

why are you guys breeding the climate apocalypse is going to happen in your children's lifetimes

to tell them how everything was perfect in my lifetime and it's their fault the world is poo poo

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

greatn posted:

You'll quickly run out of storage regardless. You basically need an external HD.

Yeah in retrospect i would have gotten the eight gig and the hd rather than the 32

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mabels big day posted:

The 32 gig will just help you prolong the inevitable, unless you never download games.

Supposedly Xenoblade Chronicles X will require a hard drive install for at least some of it. It's going to be a 25GB download as well. That news is what pushed me to buy a hard drive.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Thanks for the feedback guys, any recommended USB drives I should get in addition to my eight gig Wii U?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

threeagainstfour posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys, any recommended USB drives I should get in addition to my eight gig Wii U?

Is the 8 gig model cheaper than $200? If so, why aren't you just getting the 32 from Nintendo?

Also, I have had my 32 for a year and since I buy disks I still have a ton of space. The price is the same to purchase the disk as it is to download so it is pretty obvious which is the one to go with.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I like having disks for new games, and fortunately most VC games are pretty small compared to everything else. I've got a 32gb model and plenty of space for the time being. It still baffles me that they ship with such tiny hard drives since space is so cheap these days though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SRM posted:

I like having disks for new games, and fortunately most VC games are pretty small compared to everything else. I've got a 32gb model and plenty of space for the time being. It still baffles me that they ship with such tiny hard drives since space is so cheap these days though.

The Wii U doesn't have a mechanical hard drive - the onboard storage is flash, which makes 32GB a decent amount. Hard drives are way less expensive per GB, but they need a lot more space and power which was probably why the system didn't ship with an internal one.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm starting to run low on space for my 32gb wii u but thats entirely because club nintendo kept giving me free digital games. if you buy physical copies of games it should be more than enough space

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Is the 8 gig model cheaper than $200? If so, why aren't you just getting the 32 from Nintendo?

Also, I have had my 32 for a year and since I buy disks I still have a ton of space. The price is the same to purchase the disk as it is to download so it is pretty obvious which is the one to go with.

There's some pretty good sales on the 8gb models every now and then.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

threeagainstfour posted:

This is extremely narrow advice but if you also had a ps4, buying a 2 terabyte HD for that and using the ps4 HD for the Wii U works really well.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sharrrk posted:

i'm starting to run low on space for my 32gb wii u but thats entirely because club nintendo kept giving me free digital games. if you buy physical copies of games it should be more than enough space

That really depends on the games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Waltzing Along posted:

Counterpoint:
-Plan on buying all digital? Gotta buy a hard drive eventually, might as well put that extra $50 towards it.
-Stock up on eShop cards when they are on sale. I think Best Buy had 20% off at point.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Note also that DLC and updates will take up some of your internal storage as well. Best not to worry about it in the future by grabbing that external ASAP.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got the 32 gb model and other than the two pre-installed games, DLC, and virtual console stuff, plan on putting nothing on there. Hopefully it'll last me for a while without having to buy yet another third party hard drive (I've already bought them for my Xbone and PS4). This system has gotten me to break my "no physical discs" rule for this generation because of that.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Get the 32GB because white is an ugly color for hardware.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

epitasis posted:

why are you guys breeding the climate apocalypse is going to happen in your children's lifetimes

The obvious answer is so that when you're buying Nintendo stuff you can tell the guy at Gamestop that it's for the kids and not you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I like being a cool looking person because when I buy videogame people think "oh man, video game is cool, look at this guy" and then we all win.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

noirstronaut posted:

Get the 32GB because white is an ugly color for hardware.

The white Wii U is the prettiest, the classiest and the most stylish, hth

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I buy all of my games on disc but there are reasons for having at least a tiny amount of hard drive space. For game demos, indie games, stuff like that... I would stay away from the 8GB model, that is just way too small. 32GB has served me well so far.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bean posted:

GIS Splatoon and prepare to get real sad.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

That legit made me sad.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

less laughter posted:

The white Wii U is the prettiest, the classiest and the most stylish, hth

So do you just live your life believing nontruths

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Neither colour Wii U is as cool-looking as the original Wii, with its clean lines and iconic slanted stand.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I dunno, seems like an on-point GIS to me

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bean posted:

GIS Splatoon and prepare to get real sad.

I found this and holy poo poo:

This should be the box art.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i scrolled down pretty far and only found 2 images that made me sad. you do know that google tailors results based on previous searches right? what have you been looking for bean?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Splatoon is gonna be real good.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The real boxart is better than that and doesn't have a two color gradient background.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sire Oblivion posted:

I found this and holy poo poo:

This should be the box art.

I don't get the reference...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Awesome! posted:

i scrolled down pretty far and only found 2 images that made me sad. you do know that google tailors results based on previous searches right? what have you been looking for bean?

This is my favorite thing of anything ever. People complaining about Awful Things showing up when you google a thing when all that means is that google has caught up with how much the person looks at Awful Things.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Erm...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i need a nintendo direct

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

sharrrk posted:

i need a nintendo direct

yeah i'm gettin nintendo announcement withdrawals

i definitely can't make it until june

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

majormonotone posted:

yeah i'm gettin nintendo announcement withdrawals

i definitely can't make it until june

All they're going to say is that amiibos are currently outselling any single piece of software on the system.

Wii-U is still below 10 million units sold and people are just buying the amiibos without actually purchasing any other compatable software or hardware. It's messed up but there have been more amiibos sold than actual wii-u consoles.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
You don't get one amiibo per console though? I have two right now and might buy another sometime and I also have a Wii U.

e: taint reaped again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

How Rude posted:

You don't get one amiibo per console though? I have two right now and might buy another sometime and I also have a Wii U.

e: taint reaped again

There's literally nothing big happening until Xenoblade and/or Zelda.

And Squaresoft upped the ante for Final Fantasy 15 making the world exploration just like Xenoblade.

• Locked thread