Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

point of return posted:

The movement is because dieting itself has been shown to be dangerous more often than not.

Are you serious man? Like do you weigh 400 pounds because of a "gland problem"? Fad diets can be dangerous sure, but real normal diets consisting of regularly eating healthy pose no risk to any human being, besides someone with severe allergies they are currently unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

PresidentBeard posted:

Speaking as a fat person, the entire fat acceptance movement is terrible and not worth saving. The idea of being nicer to fat people to help them lose weight has been entirely consumed (heh) by the people who want everyone to praise them for being tubs of mobile lard.

For some reason we are encouraged to shame people who are killing themselves through meth/heroine but we can't shame obese people who are killing themselves and more important their kids.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PresidentBeard posted:

Are you serious man? Like do you weigh 400 pounds because of a "gland problem"? Fad diets can be dangerous sure, but real normal diets consisting of regularly eating healthy pose no risk to any human being, besides someone with severe allergies they are currently unaware of.
This.

Eating healthy and light exercising is hardly a radical and dangerous move.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i recall correctly, the seed of the idea of fat acceptance is acceptable (due to medications/socioeconomic status/etc some people are not going to be able to maintain a healthy body, let's not dehumanize them for it)

some people have taken that and ran with it. being frustrated with your physician for not listening to you when you tell them that you can only do so much to remain fit is one thing. being enraged that your physician bothered to tell you in the first place about the conditions you're at risk for is another.

all the same, let's not be poo poo to people who aren't behaving terribly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The seed for fat acceptance is the same as the seed for drug decriminalization. Help people get their lives back together and fix the huge gaping problem with themselves be it obesity or drug addiction (which are psychologically the same thing). Don't be a dick to them because of their mental problem, but still get them help and pressure them into changing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ugh "regularly eating healthy", can you imagine never having washing down three buckets of KFC with a gallon of soda again? but I'm trying I've tried every weight loss plan there is that takes under a week to do and I haven't dropped any weight so it must be glandular. doctors don't understand this because they don't have Folk Wisdom and probably went to school instead of the internet

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lotta assumptions being made ITT

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well this is the same community that thinks you shouldn't receive psychiatric help before undergoing HRT. Doctors just know way less than I do as a jobless 20 something running around on the internet.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Everyone shut the gently caress up and talk about something else.

So, I backed Blades in the Dark, because it looks right up my alley. And it is! Still, I was pretty let down by the move lists for the playbooks in the Quick Start. They aren't as bloaty and boring as the worst of the core Dungeon World playbooks, but it feels pretty disappointing for nearly all of them to be just +1d to something you're already good at, especially when half of them are a standard set with playbook-specific tweaks. Much like Dungeon World, it's still perfectly playable and I'm still enthusiastic, but if I were going to try a long-term game I'd definitely be rewriting the moves to make them more distinct.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let them know, offer some feedback. What's the worst that can happen?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't answer that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tollymain posted:

Let them know, offer some feedback. What's the worst that can happen?

I am-will. Just rereading to better present my entitled whiningcritique.

Tollymain posted:

Don't answer that.

John Harper seems like a cool dude.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He is actually very responsive to feedback.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's really not limited to Tumblr or RPGs, either. Reminder that the biggest first amendment current event is placing popular hate group symbol (the Confederacy battle flag!) on Texas licence plates. (Was Texas even in the Confederacy?)

I'm pretty sure this is the illogical extreme worst-case conclusion of "Steve has Two Dads" acceptance teaching: All lifestyles are equally valid, but especially mine and gently caress you if you even imply otherwise.

E: it's a big cluster dick of identity politics, that's not easily resolved and especially won't be here!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plague of Hats posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up and talk about something else.

So, I backed Blades in the Dark, because it looks right up my alley. And it is! Still, I was pretty let down by the move lists for the playbooks in the Quick Start. They aren't as bloaty and boring as the worst of the core Dungeon World playbooks, but it feels pretty disappointing for nearly all of them to be just +1d to something you're already good at, especially when half of them are a standard set with playbook-specific tweaks. Much like Dungeon World, it's still perfectly playable and I'm still enthusiastic, but if I were going to try a long-term game I'd definitely be rewriting the moves to make them more distinct.

I've thought the same thing regarding Blades in the Dark, but I'm not really sure what it is I'd change/do different in terms of giving the playbooks different advanced moves. And to be fair it's not like Apoc World doesn't have plenty of moves that are some variation of "get +1 to STAT" or "use STAT to do X."

Part of it is that John Harper doesn't seem to be interested in abilities that are more "narratively" focused, i.e. the Battlebabe's "you can decide who lives and who dies in a fight" thing, so that narrows the potential design space a bit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
CAH is like half actual hilarious potential card combos, half terribly bigotry. gently caress racist humor, I'm in it for the bleak humor. But that latter half just keeps poppin' up, ruining the game!

Like I've had fun with CAH with friends, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't have way more fun with half those cards gone or replaced. Or playing other games to be honest, because most of the fun in CAH comes from "being with friends," not from the game itself.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

dwarf74 posted:

This.

Eating healthy and light exercising is hardly a radical and dangerous move.
Yeah it can kill me you dipshit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The funny thing (to me, anyway) about that person getting mad on tumblr because her doctor cares more about that person's weight than their outrage is that, not a week beforehand, my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, my numbers were more that triple the normal levels, and that I had to change my diet and lose weight or I'd jump into fully diabetic and have to start taking insulin and all that fun stuff.

Amazingly, my first thought was not "how dare he suggest I might be portly!", but "oh poo poo, I need to start eating better". I can't even imagine why you'd think otherwise.

(Fun Fact: that was the first time I went to the doctor in like 25 years. Let's hear it for good timing!)

I hope you don't take offense, but, unless it's a financial issue or something else that impedes you, you really should see the doctor more regularly.

In response to the Fat Acceptance stuff, I always just thought it was about being nice to people and being supportive so they didn't feel shame and felt empowered to lose weight and stay healthy. Like, for example, really cracking down on the people who make fun of fat people at the gym since that kind of behavior could impede their ability to lose weight. That and accepting that people in certain health conditions or economic conditions don't have the ability to lose weight as easily and we shouldn't make them feel bad for it.

In response to the CAH stuff, I guess it really much have been our group or the edition we used or the myraid of house rule cards that were mostly in-jokes, but we never really ran into any bigotry in our games. Mostly just monkey cheese bullshit. That said, having it pointed out here, I suppose the game is a lot worse if you're just taking the base stuff and playing with people without taste.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ProfessorCirno posted:

CAH is like half actual hilarious potential card combos, half terribly bigotry. gently caress racist humor, I'm in it for the bleak humor. But that latter half just keeps poppin' up, ruining the game!

Like I've had fun with CAH with friends, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't have way more fun with half those cards gone or replaced. Or playing other games to be honest, because most of the fun in CAH comes from "being with friends," not from the game itself.

CAH might have some potential as a black humour vessel, but even then it's mostly on the crudest dead baby joke level. Grab something like Aye, Dark Overlord! that'll fill the same "gently caress around for a few minutes while drinking beer, while replacing edgy lolrandom canned answers with something that spurs you and your friends to say funny things of your own.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

I hope you don't take offense, but, unless it's a financial issue or something else that impedes you, you really should see the doctor more regularly.
This was about a year and change ago. I actually didn't have insurance for a disturbingly long time (due to underemployment or being unemployed for a year and a half), but also because I was one of those people who was really uncomfortable about going to a doctor. But I am indeed now going on a regular basis.

I also lost a lot of weight and got my health numbers down under the "human max" range by watching my food intake and walking half an hour a day. So that's good!

(It also helped that my dietician was awesome.)

To steer things away from EM's healthchat, remember Fyxt?

I tried to make a character for a F&F post today, but it turns out that you can't actually create a full character without registering an account on the site. There are no rules on how you pick the actual effects of powers (just a reference loop), just how you pick your range/area of effect/number of targets. Powers are defined 4e style, except that you can shape effect squares however you want when you build the power. So if you want to drop tetris-shaped fireballs that's an option.

I guess the idea is that you build all your powers on their digital character sheets because that seems to be the only way to see what power effects are available for your character based on his stats.

There are other fun quirks, like how your basic combat attack is based off your highest stat, but applies to any weapon you use. So a fighty guy with Body 6 is just as good at sword swinging as the social character with Spirit 6 but a Body of 1.

Or how the way items work in the game is that they're all just fluff, and don't do anything unless you build an affect into them. You can't just say you have plate mail, you have to have an item with +whatever Defense called plate mail or it doesn't do jack. As near as I can tell, that also means that every piece of gear you want to have that can actually do something has to be point-built.

quote:

Now that you have a good idea of how the Fyxt RPG Power System works, it’s time to let your imagination run wild! Look at existing Powers to get some ideas of what Powers can do along with the many different types of descriptions they have. The mechanics of Powers is separate from the names and descriptions you choose for them. This means that players can name their Powers and describe what happens when they use them whichever way they want. This means that players are free to describe the look, feel, and impression of their Powers. The name and description of Powers is for fun and role play flavor and should never be used to determine what a Power actually does. What a Power actually does is determined by its stats only. So let your mind run free and see what kind of awesome Powers you can come up with for your characters and the Fyxt RPG community!

They honestly think that's innovative because they admit to never really looking closely at Champions.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

ProfessorCirno posted:

CAH is like half actual hilarious potential card combos, half terribly bigotry. gently caress racist humor, I'm in it for the bleak humor. But that latter half just keeps poppin' up, ruining the game!"

"Despite humanity's progress, we are still largely defined, and divided by, the stereotypes of race, class, and gender."

Seems pretty bleak to me. :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Despite humanity's progress, we are still largely defined, and divided by _________________________________.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

FactsAreUseless posted:

Despite humanity's progress, we are still largely defined, and divided by _________________________________.

"Mutual hatred and paranoia"?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Goddamn guys. I come here to discuss and analyze games. If I wanted a moral outrage I'd go to Debate and Discussion.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cah is generally at its best when somebody plays an incredibly bleak but real combo, yes

like the one where white people get the academy award for playing brown people

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

This was about a year and change ago. I actually didn't have insurance for a disturbingly long time (due to underemployment or being unemployed for a year and a half), but also because I was one of those people who was really uncomfortable about going to a doctor. But I am indeed now going on a regular basis.

I also lost a lot of weight and got my health numbers down under the "human max" range by watching my food intake and walking half an hour a day. So that's good!

(It also helped that my dietician was awesome.)

To steer things away from EM's healthchat, remember Fyxt?

I tried to make a character for a F&F post today, but it turns out that you can't actually create a full character without registering an account on the site. There are no rules on how you pick the actual effects of powers (just a reference loop), just how you pick your range/area of effect/number of targets. Powers are defined 4e style, except that you can shape effect squares however you want when you build the power. So if you want to drop tetris-shaped fireballs that's an option.

I guess the idea is that you build all your powers on their digital character sheets because that seems to be the only way to see what power effects are available for your character based on his stats.

There are other fun quirks, like how your basic combat attack is based off your highest stat, but applies to any weapon you use. So a fighty guy with Body 6 is just as good at sword swinging as the social character with Spirit 6 but a Body of 1.

Or how the way items work in the game is that they're all just fluff, and don't do anything unless you build an affect into them. You can't just say you have plate mail, you have to have an item with +whatever Defense called plate mail or it doesn't do jack. As near as I can tell, that also means that every piece of gear you want to have that can actually do something has to be point-built.

They honestly think that's innovative because they admit to never really looking closely at Champions.

Tetris shaped fireballs do sound pretty cool tbh.

Heart. Broken.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goddamn guys. I come here to discuss and analyze games. If I wanted a moral outrage I'd go to Debate and Discussion.

Sorry dude, games are inherently political. If you think a game is apolitical, you are simply blind to the inherent politics of that game. A lot of analyzing games at anything deeper than a surface or mechanical level involves analyzing the politics of those games. So as the best place on the internet to actually analyze games, we're gonna get into the politics of those games rather often here. And like any topic, we talk about the things we hate just as much as the things we love, so gross politics are gonna come up, and generally be called out for how gross and awful they are.

So. You know.

Deal with it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Yeah if only we could just talk about games without discussing their politics. Wouldn't that be nice, to live in an apolitical fantasy world where our games about killing goblins and stealing other people's shiny poo poo had no basis in reality to talk about.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Does this qualify as a Vanguard Party?

(that would actually be a great name for an RPG

edit
or a podcast)

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 24, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Sorry dude, games are inherently political. If you think a game is apolitical, you are simply blind to the inherent politics of that game. A lot of analyzing games at anything deeper than a surface or mechanical level involves analyzing the politics of those games. So as the best place on the internet to actually analyze games, we're gonna get into the politics of those games rather often here. And like any topic, we talk about the things we hate just as much as the things we love, so gross politics are gonna come up, and generally be called out for how gross and awful they are.

So. You know.

Deal with it.

Yeah for sure buddy.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

goodness posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for thanks! 2/3 people are brand new to paper RPGs, do any of those stand out as a good system for new players?
Really any of them would work as long as the one person with prior experience read the rules and could facilitate. That said, Microscope, Gamma Patrol and to a lesser extent Remember Tomorrow and Geiger Counter seem like the better choices (possibly also Vesna Thaw, but I haven't played it). The other games generally have more serious themes, more complex rules or less easily accessible genres, assume some knowledge of RPG conventions or strongly pit PCs against one another. Of these four, Gamma Patrol and Remember Tomorrow are more traditional (players control specific character(s) and advance their interests) while Geiger Counter is a little looser and Microscope is just very different from most RPGs. Here are some closer looks:

Microscope
How it works: players take turns creating Periods, Events and Scenes in the collaborative history. Periods are the top level, Events happen inside them and Scenes expand on Events. The first two consist of writing short things on index cards (like "The Duke is assassinated by spies from the North" or "The people abandon the city forever"), while Scenes are short bits of RP where everyone knows how things turn out, but you play to answer a 'why?' or 'how?' kind of question.

How it fits: combines RP and world-building, people aren't allowed to suggest or 'suggest' what other players should do on their own turns so the history won't be defined by one player, simple rules, ideal for one-shots. Creates a world you can explore in a later game with a different, more traditional system.

Remember Tomorrow
How it works: players create characters and factions with their own goals. Each player 'owns' one character - everything else can be controlled by any player. People take turns using characters or factions to antagonise or make a deal with a PC to advance the story. Conflicts are resolved with d10 dice pool roll-offs - winners get to improve their stats, take advantages (help out in a later roll) or advance towards their goal, losers get the inverse. When a character/faction achieves their goal they leave the story, and when enough have done so in a single 'episode' the session ends. Can be a one-shot or serial game.

How it fits: familiar genre (cyberpunk), instant character motives, doesn't place the burden of GMing on any one person, mechanics are simple. It's been a while, but I think players can also 'disown' their characters and pick another, so if their character is doing really badly or they're interested in playing another they can switch.

Gamma Patrol
How it works: each player creates a character and a threat (both randomly-rolled, then fleshed out by the players themselves) and the characters work together or alone to defeat the threats before they destroy the village the characters protect. Uses a bunch of different die types (d4-d10), but the mechanics are pretty simple: roll when you fight a threat, results above 3 are successes and help you defeat threats, below 3 causes trouble or create more problems, different die sizes represent different things like your character's abilities, advantages, danger etc.. The game has specific endings: the village is saved, the characters or village are killed, the villagers flee to elsewhere.

How it fits: not-that-serious tone might help new players get into it easier, generally-defined setting that still allows a lot of player input, clear goal (defend the village), simple rules, one-shot, quick character generation, co-operation mechanics, although you could have a GM it's not strictly necessary. Also free.

It's based on Pocket Danger Patrol, a free pocket version of the pulpy retrofuturistic game Danger Patrol, but PDP doesn't have a specific central goal like Gamma Patrol's 'protect the village'.

Geiger Counter
How it works: You collaboratively make a survival horror moving like Night of the Living Dead or Alien. Everyone creates a bunch of characters and work together to make a single Menace that kills them off. Main characters and the Menace have d6 dice pools that are rolled against one another in conflicts. Character pools are small and the Menace grows over time, but as characters die off the remainder get stronger, whittle down the Menace and kill it. The cooperative goal is to make sure that a) only a few characters survive and b) the Menace is fought off.

How it fits: survival horror movie cliches are a part of pop culture, it links RPGs to a more familiar medium, the rotating Director role has clear responsibilities and limits, rules are relatively simple (though more complex than the other games), it manages expectations (you play to create a satisfying horror movie, not to keep your characters alive), free rules, one-shot.

If you search around online you should be able to find a bunch of play reports for Microscope and Geiger Counter and a few for Remember Tomorrow. I'm not sure about Gamma Patrol but there's this game I was involved with on SA (that unfortunately got abandoned, as happens to most PbPs).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Messed up that the white pieces on chess always move first or is it social commentary on racism?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Messed up that the white pieces on chess always move first or is it social commentary on racism?

Only one explicitly female piece in Chess? Wow, patriarchy. Where are my transsexual rooks?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PurpleXVI posted:

Only one explicitly female piece in Chess? Wow, patriarchy. Where are my transsexual rooks?

Knights? More like equestrian otherkin.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

It's really not limited to Tumblr or RPGs, either. Reminder that the biggest first amendment current event is placing popular hate group symbol (the Confederacy battle flag!) on Texas licence plates. (Was Texas even in the Confederacy?)

I'm pretty sure this is the illogical extreme worst-case conclusion of "Steve has Two Dads" acceptance teaching: All lifestyles are equally valid, but especially mine and gently caress you if you even imply otherwise.

E: it's a big cluster dick of identity politics, that's not easily resolved and especially won't be here!

Texas was in the first group of states that seceded and formed the Confederacy. They pretty much did a soft coup on their governor because he told them they were all loving stupid for seceding over a dying institution and refused to swear loyalty to the CSA. It was Sam Houston though, not Stephen Austin, so nobody cared.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gnome7 posted:

Sorry dude, games are inherently political. If you think a game is apolitical, you are simply blind to the inherent politics of that game. A lot of analyzing games at anything deeper than a surface or mechanical level involves analyzing the politics of those games.

I can't believe you just said mechanics were apolitical. What the gently caress. We need to schedule a struggle session, pronto.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I thought the troubling theme that chess reinforces is the idea that everyone, from the meanest pawn to the mightiest queen is expendable in the pursuit of victory & survival, and that even the most unique and powerful people are ultimately replaceable out of the mass of faceless pawns.

That's why I hate chess.
At least Chinese Chess has cannons.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 25, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ah yes, the thematic problems of chess.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Every piece is expendable. Except one. That one will cost you the game. So, you know... Not Expendable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ah yes, the thematic problems of chess.

Changing the original chariot and elephant pieces to bishops and rooks: cultural appropriation of the original Indian game?!

• Locked thread