Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
If I can't punch down, how am I supposed to throw Hadokens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

bunnielab posted:

Now that is reasonable, but how do you apply that to collaborative works, like a play or a film. There are many hands involved, who, in that case is "yourself"? I want to say the director has the ultimate responsibility, but it bears discussing. I find Blazing Saddles to be a great example of this sort of issue, and Mel Brooks in general interesting to talk about in these terms.

Suppose I wanted to make a joke about people who like certain kinds of RPGs.
Suppose I decide to make this joke about people who like storygames. (Dunno what the actual joke would be, but let's go with it for the sake of example.)
If, upon hearing the joke, Pundit would nod sagely and list the latest tobacco he's smoking, I have failed at making the joke.

The failure mode of "funny" is, often, "rear end in a top hat".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

bunnielab posted:

Now that is reasonable, but how do you apply that to collaborative works, like a play or a film. There are many hands involved, who, in that case is "yourself"? I want to say the director has the ultimate responsibility, but it bears discussing. I find Blazing Saddles to be a great example of this sort of issue, and Mel Brooks in general interesting to talk about in these terms.

Blazing Saddles generally gets away with it because the joke is "it's hilarious that white people are wiling to die rather than accept help from this upstanding dark-skinned fellow" and not "it's hilarious that black people exist."

Offensive material is generally the latter and generally made by people who don't like unpacking jokes enough to see the difference.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Simian_Prime posted:

If I can't punch down, how am I supposed to throw Hadokens?

you're thinking of the yoga flame :rolleyes:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
You don't hit punch until you're leaning right, you're doing it wrong.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

inklesspen posted:

The failure mode of "funny" is, often, "rear end in a top hat".

The theatrical saying is something along the lines of " at least the worst dramas can be decent comedies". I think in many ways comedy is "easier" but you do look a lot worse when you fail.

Are there any funny RPGs, like, funny on purpose?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Teenagers from Outer Space

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Gaming is a hammer which we use to crush our enemies?

I think Burning Sands: Jihad mechanics has the Mahdist players as a covert cell for games set during the early stage of an invasion. Hasn't been updated for a while :(
It's really weird to think that game came out way back in 2005, before the Arab Spring and everything.

Any other RPGs that get you put on a watchlist are built around things like PC rebel cadres ? Star Wars?
On the flip side, I always thought Military Assistance Command Faerun Studies and Observation Group was a hilarious way to describe Paladins/Blackguards.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Blazing Saddles generally gets away with it because the joke is "it's hilarious that white people are wiling to die rather than accept help from this upstanding dark-skinned fellow" and not "it's hilarious that black people exist."

Offensive material is generally the latter and generally made by people who don't like unpacking jokes enough to see the difference.

I agree, but people sure do get bent out of shape over that movie.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Better no gaming than elitist gaming?

Cannons move like Rooks, but can only capture while hopping over an intermediate piece.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi

Huh. I only knew about Senet.

Check these out: http://monroi.com/chess-info/44-in/751-the-history-of-chess.html

quote:

AshtaPada is an ancient Indian race board game played on an 8x8 board with dice. It possibly dates back to the 5th century BC. There were no light and dark squares on the board. There were crosses marked on certain cells. The name has a Sanskrit reference to “spider” - a legendary being with eight legs.

Sounds like the first game that approaches the borderline between a board game and an RPG.

quote:

Chaturanga (a Sanskrit name for “four members of an army”) was played in India on an 8x8 uncheckered board. According to ancient Indian mysticism, this setup represents the universe. The four sides being the four elements: fire, air, earth and water. The board was called Ashtapada, and had special markers. The pieces were raja (king), gajah (elephant), chariot, one boat and four pedati (foot soldiers or pawns). This game was originally played with a dice.

It is an assumption that chess emerged as a variant of Chaturanga for two players. The suppression of dice due to antigambling policy in the 6th century, might have forced the transformation of a race game into a strategic game between two players, which then possibly evolved and transformed into chess.

This looks cool. I would play this. I wonder if it would be an easy app to code.

quote:

As we discussed in the Chess Queen article, in India, Persia and the Arabic lands, where the game was originally played, all the chess pieces were male: the king, his general called a vizier, and a line of foot soldiers. The game was played with chariots, horses, and elephants, which looked like a miniature army. The words for chess in Old Persian and Arabic are chatrang and shatranj respectively. The Persian word “shah” means king, is thought to be the origin of the English name “chess”. The phrase “shah mat” (means “the king is ambushed”), is the origin for the word "checkmate".

In the Arab world, chess pieces were transformed into abstract, due to religious considerations which prohibit the portrayal of living creatures. Some of the chess pieces took on Arabic names: al-phil for elephant, baidaq for pawn, and ferz for the vizier, while other retained Persian names shah for king, rokh for rook and asb for horse.

When the game arrived in Europe, the queen replaced the vizier, the horse was transformed into a knight, the chariot into a tower (today’s rook), and the elephant into bishop (in France it became a jester (:haw:), and in Italy, a standard bearer). Only the king and the pawns remained the same. It is believed that the checkered board with its light and dark squares was a European invention. Chess sets were made out of ivory, stone, wood, or even amber.

The transformation from the male figure of the vizier to the queen in Russia took place six hundred years after the chess queen had appeared in Germany, Italy, Spain, France, and England. In Russia, the bishop was represented by an elephant, and the rook by a boat. The king was called tsar, and instead of the queen, “ferz” was used, which remained masculine well into the 18th century.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 25, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

That looks cute, is it much fun to play?

I guess Paranoia is funny, if you play it more slapstick. I also just remembered this gem from my youth:

I am like 100% sure I missed a ton of stuff reading this as a teen, I really want to find a copy again.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I'm not interested in any chess set that doesn't have Jackson-LotR elves vs Jackson-LotR dwarves.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

bunnielab posted:

The theatrical saying is something along the lines of " at least the worst dramas can be decent comedies". I think in many ways comedy is "easier" but you do look a lot worse when you fail.

Toon?

Edit: Bunnies and Burrows

Edit2:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 25, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bunnielab posted:

Hackmaster 4th Edition was contractually obligated to be a parody of older editions of D&D. It was the only way they could get the licenses they did under their settlement with WotC.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I would like to say that generally, I think people should be allowed to enjoy whatever they want, as far as media goes. But people should also be critical of what they consume, recognizing flaws and not making excuses.

I like a lot of socially backwards things. My favorite genre of movies is probably horror. It's not all bad, but there are some classics of the genre that are grossly misogynistic. Watching and enjoying them doesn't make me an rear end in a top hat, but it would if I watched them with no self-awareness and got mad when other people criticized them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Helical Nightmares posted:

Toon?

Edit: Bunnies and Burrows
B&B isn't funny, it's pretty much Watership Down: The Unofficial RPG Adaptation.

Toon is a good pick, as are Paranoia and TFOS. I'd add Murphy's World, HOL, Tales From The Floating Vagabond, and Ghostbusters to the list as well.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Isn't Bunnies and Burrows the GURPS game with Bunnies wielding chainsaws against dogs?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Isn't Bunnies and Burrows the GURPS game with Bunnies wielding chainsaws against dogs?
That was a boardgame called Wabbit Wampage by Pacesetter Games

There was even a sequel (Wabbit's Wevenge)

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

bunnielab posted:

Paranoia. Unless you discover your group is filled with the kind of people who play Paranoia as serious business. Those are terrible people.

bunnielab posted:

That looks cute, is it much fun to play?

Teenagers from Outer Space is a blast, even if you're not into all of the things it references. Highly recommend it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
depending on your sense of humor, fiasco might qualify

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Tollymain posted:

depending on your sense of humor, fiasco might qualify

Man, my group's Fiasco games always end up hecka comedic. Like not even black comedy, wacky stuff. And then everyone fucks up and dies at the end, because it's still Fiasco. It's fun, but I'd like to be part of at least a semiserious Fiasco game sometime. I'm just doomed to do the Screwball Coen Bros. with it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tollymain posted:

it's who, not whom. you wouldn't say "him is a fair target", would you?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I feel like a danger with making a funny RPG is related to the other big reason I kind of hate CaH--way too much of the 'humor' ends up coming from the cards themselves rather than the ways the players are using them. CaH suffers from a bunch of rounds where the winner just ends up being the player who draws the weirdest most inherently-funny/shocking card, to the point where how the cards are being used tends to be kind of overshadowed. An ideal funny game is one that gives the players the tools to be creative and funny themselves, and that's way harder than just writing something about making GBS threads in a bucket on a card and calling it a day.

Alternately, I also kind of think that all RPGs are comedy RPGs. Like, you might end up with moments of intense and emotional seriousness in a well-run game, but the norm RPG mood I've experienced is just surrealist comedy.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've got a serious, if rather poorly worded question. Are there any games that deal with, like, predestination?
Not necessarily time travel, but maybe a game that runs backwards, where you begin at the end and play to uncover each step that lead to it.

I think it reflects how I usually design characters; I figure out what their backstory is by their actions and what hints they drop.

Divination is a skill/spell that pops up frequently in games, and I'm always fascinated by it, but most of the time it's either not supposed to be used or just doesn't have any effect.

This is related to something I always wondered about in video games, where you combine elements of chance with the ability to save and load the game. How would you resolve this contradiction? I figure to embrace savescumming, you'd play as Cassandra, with foresight so strong it functions as your saving/loading or time travel mechanic. And then I'm not sure how you'd design a story around it, other than going loopy because you're Cassandra. Poor Cassandra. :smith:

I guess what I should ask, is there a Doctor Manhattan RPG?

Huh. I only knew about Senet.

Check these out: http://monroi.com/chess-info/44-in/751-the-history-of-chess.html

Sounds like the first game that approaches the borderline between a board game and an RPG.

This looks cool. I would play this. I wonder if it would be an easy app to code.

That's kinda cool. I like reading about antique games.
Hipster chess.

It doesn't sound hugely difficult, but I never really have time or motivation to program anymore. :(

edit
Aren't druids obligated to punch up, to the point of stereotypically swapping sides to maintain punching direction?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

GrizzlyCow posted:

In the forums, there was an update in the middle of last year, but yeah, it seems fairly dead. Or pathetically sluggish. Beyond that, there may still be some activity on their IRC chatroom.

I had last looked at the game over two years ago, and I thought it would have been done and shipped by now. But hey, at least they released their MLP thing.

Yeah, but that update was weird for me. It's the one which made it so you didn't add your BAB to AC anymore. Instead, you add your level. I kind of get it because spellcasters are arse in Legends -- which is shocking considering it's a 3.5 derivative -- and martials are the best, but it felt odd to me.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Rockopolis posted:

I've got a serious, if rather poorly worded question. Are there any games that deal with, like, predestination?
Not necessarily time travel, but maybe a game that runs backwards, where you begin at the end and play to uncover each step that lead to it.

I think it reflects how I usually design characters; I figure out what their backstory is by their actions and what hints they drop.

Divination is a skill/spell that pops up frequently in games, and I'm always fascinated by it, but most of the time it's either not supposed to be used or just doesn't have any effect.

This is related to something I always wondered about in video games, where you combine elements of chance with the ability to save and load the game. How would you resolve this contradiction? I figure to embrace savescumming, you'd play as Cassandra, with foresight so strong it functions as your saving/loading or time travel mechanic. And then I'm not sure how you'd design a story around it, other than going loopy because you're Cassandra. Poor Cassandra. :smith:

Retrocausality might be your thing.
EDIT: I haven't actually played this so I can't really describe it or say for sure it's relevant, but it was made my a poster in this thread and the stuff people say about it makes it sound super cool so it's probably worth checking out either way.

I have a super powerful consumable magic item I drop in games sometimes that seems to do nothing when you first use it, but then after doing stuff for an hour or so you suddenly shoot back in time to when you used it and realize it was all just a vision of the future. You then get to go either "yeah, we do exactly that" and fast forward through just doing all that stuff again exactly or pick a point in time to diverge from the vision and just start playing again normally from there. It works okay as something that shows up EXTREMELY rarely, or possibly as a quest item, but it's not something that'd work as a Vancian spell or 1/day ability.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yo is there any reason to play a game these days that doesn't involve some form of collaboration of setting design / explication between the players and the gm

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

yo is there any reason to play a game these days that doesn't involve some form of collaboration of setting design / explication between the players and the gm

Some players are uncomfortable with having to do any amount of setting-building and react poorly when asked to collaborate, and so are more comfortable playing games that come with a 400 page campaign guide.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Captain Foo posted:

Some players trust their GM to come up with decent background fluff and actually enjoy some of the pre-made settings? I'm not sure why we need to have this weird hate on people who're happy to offload most of the pre-game creative work to the GM and/or a setting book. I mean, can't we just be cool both with the more collaborative writing games AND the more traditional ones?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ningyou, I'm really sorry I yelled at you last night. There was no excuse for that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

I used to write up these elaborate setting descriptions and places for the players to explore and they didn't seem to really be all that interested. Probably my problem. But I started listening to some podcasts where the GM would be like "well, what have you heard is around here?" and started trying that and everything fell into place. Hell my players came up with their own adventure seeds on more than one occasion, and would constantly bring in new and weird stuff for me to work with. I think if you have the right players in the right mindset, a collaborative game can be awesome.

At the same time, some people are shy or just not all that creative and are totally cool with the GM doing all the heavy lifting or getting it all from a book. There's nothing wrong with that approach either, so long as everyone is having fun.

As my grandpa would say: different strokes for different folks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When I GM I try to have the players add a lot of setting info but mostly only if its related to their character's background :)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

It can be thematically appropriate for the GM to control much more of the setting if the PCs are low on the totem pole and the game is about them trying to get by. For example: Grunt, where you play an airborne rifle squad in Vietnam, characters are semi-expendable and the GM is encouraged to gently caress with the players. Another factor is that it's historic, but a lot of the high-level setting is still decided by the GM.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 25, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
These days I enjoy a mix of both. Creating a setting to sandbox around in is fun, having players make up things in that setting is also fun, have your cake and eat it. I'm more and more leaning towards formalizing that stuff into character creation and putting acquaintances and close family and so on right there on your sheet with the implicit understanding that I can't just mess with them arbitrarily.

Part of the reason games have such a messed up relationship is people abusing that sort of creative power. Someone comes up with a family in your D&D? Dragon Magazine had an article telling you to totally abuse that for cheap drama! Wait, why are your players not making families for their characters anymore? Sure, it's easy to say "play with better people", but formalizing the social contract a little bit with some rules and implicit agreements doesn't hurt. That, and getting to call on family connections to restore your character's status when you are resting in your home town is legitimately neat.

Basically I stole the entire thing from Mouse Guard.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
The one time I let my players do that one of them implemented capitalism in his Birthright realm. Never again. I am the law.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Basically I stole the entire thing from Mouse Guard.
Well that's not hard. Guards or not, they're just mice.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

When I GM I try to have the players add a lot of setting info but mostly only if its related to their character's background :)

I do this too, and now one of my players' daughters is an empire-spanning manufacturer of Warforged horses, weapons and armor. It owns.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The Real Foogla posted:

The one time I let my players do that one of them implemented capitalism in his Birthright realm. Never again. I am the law.

Low Law, high Guild, hang all characters with Bloodlines so they can't interfere with the Invisible Hand of the Free Market?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
In my experience players will default to ask the GM for setting details anyway, so it's pretty easy for the GM to balance how much they're going to bounce the question back at the players with a "I don't know, what do you think?" And you can do that without explicit rules for player participation in the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seems like an easy way for your players to try and trick you into thinking their basketweavers are useful.

• Locked thread