Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Thanks to conservative magic (budget cuts), state revenues are down. Walker is savaging the state college budget, but its likely he'll not pay the state debts on time to buy him an extra month or three.

In exchange, the debt grows.

He's basically pullling the 'check's in the mail bro!' Defense.

Check-kiting is a celebrated fiscally conservative strategy.

See: the 2013 debt ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Check-kiting is a celebrated fiscally conservative strategy.

See: the 2013 debt ceiling

:airquote: Fiscal Responsibility :airquote:

Because the party that frequently compares the state/national budget to a household budget apparently thinks daddy quitting his job and shunning the bills is a viable scenario.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CommieGIR posted:

People literally fought and died fighting companies for these rights before the Federal Government had to bring in the National Guard to stop private security firms from gunning down unions to get these rights.

Well, even that was a step up from the national guard itself being brought in to murder strikers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CommieGIR posted:

Because the party that frequently compares the state/national budget to a household budget apparently thinks daddy quitting his job and shunning the bills is a viable scenario.

It's more like daddy willfully passed up a raise and deliberately offered to take a pay cut instead because it means that those honest job creators could keep more of the money THEY earned without having it siphoned off by having to pay good wages to low-level workers like himself.

Oh, and he only pays for health insurance for himself (the military) to encourage his wife and children (on welfare) to go find meaningful jobs on their own because bootstraps.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Thanks to conservative magic (budget cuts), state revenues are down. Walker is savaging the state college budget, but its likely he'll not pay the state debts on time to buy him an extra month or three.

In exchange, the debt grows.

He's basically pullling the 'check's in the mail bro!' Defense.

Walker is skipping on servicing debt that allows missed payments without causing a credit event for whatever reason so, in line with conservative Blame the Victim ideology, it's the creditors own fault for agreeing to this poo poo

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

They're not wrong.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Phil 'Duck Dynasty' Robertson continues to be a colossal loving embarrassment for his chosen party; the latest episode is him fantasizing about how the infidels would see the error of their ways if we started sending death squads to torture and murder them. I can't shake the feeling that he gave the speech with one hand under the podium, if you know what I'm saying.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Mister Bates posted:

Phil 'Duck Dynasty' Robertson continues to be a colossal loving embarrassment for his chosen party; the latest episode is him fantasizing about how the infidels would see the error of their ways if we started sending death squads to torture and murder them. I can't shake the feeling that he gave the speech with one hand under the podium, if you know what I'm saying.

So is someone gonna do something about him? I know his show is tanking but he's such an icon among certain conservatives that he's gotta be causing some splits in the party somewhere.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Gosh it's not like it really happened you guys. Really, what does that say about you?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

So is someone gonna do something about him? I know his show is tanking but he's such an icon among certain conservatives that he's gotta be causing some splits in the party somewhere.

I hope not, because he seems incapable of talking without making an rear end out of himself publicly. Did you catch his CPAC appearance, where he went half an hour over his allotted time and had the technicians desperately flashing 'PLEASE WRAP UP NOW PHIL' on all the screens before they finally just cut off his mic?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zxqv8 posted:

I hope he encounters a life changing event that causes him to have to leave his seat, but otherwise doesn't affect his quality of life negatively.

In other words, I'd just really like it if he didn't legislate.

Well you'll get your wish when he's president.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Perhaps that's why he's going full-on crazy. If his show is losing steam, there's always the wingnut welfare gravy train. Just stoke the desire of fundamentalists to go all old testament rape-and-kill-the-Midianites on atheists and infidels, and you're set.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still remember American history class, how before legal protections, rail workers would have their legs cut off by train accidents and have to keep working if they wanted to not die in the streets.

It's incredible how there's a major political party that wants to bring that all back.

Sounds like Georgia's got the right idea banning history classes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still remember American history class, how before legal protections, rail workers would have their legs cut off by train accidents and have to keep working if they wanted to not die in the streets.

It's incredible how there's a major political party that wants to bring that all back.

I REALLY hope that someone brings up "wants to make you work seven days a week" against Walker in the primaries (or god forbid the actual election) since that's just hilariously evil.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Radish posted:

I REALLY hope that someone brings up "wants to make you work seven days a week" against Walker in the primaries (or god forbid the actual election) since that's just hilariously evil.

No, no. I want to let you work seven days a week without having to justify it to the government. Why should the government determine how much you can work when you want to pick up an extra shift at Walmart?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Walker wants to force you to work on the Sabbath.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mauser posted:

We talking about 93 year old full blown alzheimer's reagan just magically back alive or some sinister dark magic zombie reagan with even fewer functioning brain cells?

What's the difference?

Rexicon1 posted:

Why? There is no shortage of conservative pop-culture figures and as soon as this one becomes alienating enough he'll be tossed out and put in the bargain bin of Wal-mart with the rest of his merchandise. Then the media will find a new figure to latch onto.

He is just one Kleen-ex tissue out of a box.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I remember in 2010, as I was leaving Wisconsin, I knew Jim Doyle would not win reelection as a fallout of the collapse. I knew it was going to take a turn for the worse, but never did I think that Wisconsin would more closely resemble Kansas than it does Minnesota.

Now that I'm preparing to go back to school almost six years later, I realize that I don't want to tie myself to that state and will be heading to U of M instead. Maybe someday, but I just don't think Wisconsin has anything to offer me anymore unless I decide to someday run for office there. Sad.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boon posted:

I remember in 2010, as I was leaving Wisconsin, I knew Jim Doyle would not win reelection as a fallout of the collapse. I knew it was going to take a turn for the worse, but never did I think that Wisconsin would more closely resemble Kansas than it does Minnesota.

Now that I'm preparing to go back to school almost six years later, I realize that I don't want to tie myself to that state and will be heading to U of M instead. Maybe someday, but I just don't think Wisconsin has anything to offer me anymore unless I decide to someday run for office there. Sad.

Not true. You could still get cheese seasoned with the blood, sweat, and tears of workers. And I doubt they would be able to sell it across state lines.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

I've seen bumper stickers around Texas of all places that say things like "Enjoy your weekend? Thank a Union" and "Unions: the folks who brought you the weekend"

Of course the people he's trying to appeal to will gleefully say that if someone wanted a weekend they should have gone to college and gotten a real job because people who didn't have the luck they had don't deserve anything but constant misery and poverty. Not even a refrigerator.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

Of course the people he's trying to appeal to will gleefully say that if someone wanted a weekend they should have gone to college and gotten a real job

Which is ironic if you're talking about Walker.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Not true. You could still get cheese seasoned with the blood, sweat, and tears of workers. And I doubt they would be able to sell it across state lines.

What gets me is that he still has so much support and just blindly deny the reality. I don't understand how people can look at states like Louisiana, Kansas, Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin and think to themselves, "The GOP has the solutions for me!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I've seen bumper stickers around Texas of all places that say things like "Enjoy your weekend? Thank a Union" and "Unions: the folks who brought you the weekend"

Of course the people he's trying to appeal to will gleefully say that if someone wanted a weekend they should have gone to college and gotten a real job because people who didn't have the luck they had don't deserve anything but constant misery and poverty. Not even a refrigerator.

People with that attitude should have it tattooed in their heads so they can get the lowest quality of labor from every service worker they deal with on a daily basis.

computer parts posted:

Which is ironic if you're talking about Walker.

Nice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gyges posted:

No, no. I want to let you work seven days a week without having to justify it to the government. Why should the government determine how much you can work when you want to pick up an extra shift at Walmart?

Oh gently caress you.

Oh God you're right, that's really going to work :negative:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mister Bates posted:

They can always just false flag him. That's a good tactic.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Although I don’t like it, and conservatives don’t like it, which part of his experience are we questioning with Obama? He got Obamacare done, and we didn’t like it. Did he achieve that because of his inexperience? I don't think so. Did he get it because he’s ineffective? We might not like it, it's been a disaster, but he’s delivered on his agenda. As far as I can tell he’s been running rings around Republican leaders." ~ Rick Tyler, spokesman for Ted Cruz.

I knew I recognized Rick Tyler's name from somewhere in the 2012 cycle but couldn't remember where, so I had to Google it. Turns out he was one of higher-ups in Gingrich's campaign.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Boon posted:

What gets me is that he still has so much support and just blindly deny the reality. I don't understand how people can look at states like Louisiana, Kansas, Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin and think to themselves, "The GOP has the solutions for me!"

These are the same people who tell lies like "There's only 1 chemo machine in all of Ottawa because of socialized health care" and "Everyone in Europe hates their health care!"

In other words your facts are interpreted as lies by their brains.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Boon posted:

Because lots of rich people do benefit from those policies and Republicans only care about rich people. All that misery? It's a feature not a bug.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Don't roll on Shabbos. Roll on Walker.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

The response is usually akin to "people should be able to choose whether they want to work every day or not! The government shouldn't tell them they have to take a day off!"

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

CommieGIR posted:

People literally fought and died fighting companies for these rights before the Federal Government had to bring in the National Guard to stop private security firms from gunning down unions to get these rights.

And these fuckers are just rolling it all back, while at the same time Scott Walker is about to skip a $108 billion dollar debt payment, which flies directly in the fact of the CPAC and GOPs promise to cut debt and support the Middle Class.

If by "these fuckers" you mean the majority of Wisconsin voters in 2010, 2012 and 2014 then yes. It's quite clear that the majority of Wisconsin voters want their state to be run like Kansas and Oklahoma. I mean it's not just like they elected the governor 3 times but they also gave him all 3 branches for a while. That's not a fluke.

The deficit hypocrisy is standard GOP since the 80s. Reagan and GWB almost doubled the national debt each yet people still elect the GOP out of "fiscal responsibility". Clinton and Obama have cut annual deficits significantly yet they are still seen as "wasteful spenders" by the American public.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "Today the global warming alarmists are the equivalent of the flat-Earthers. You know it used to be it is accepted scientific wisdom the Earth is flat, and this heretic named Galileo was branded a denier." ~ Ted Cruz.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Today the global warming alarmists are the equivalent of the flat-Earthers. You know it used to be it is accepted scientific wisdom the Earth is flat, and this heretic named Galileo was branded a denier." ~ Ted Cruz.

I'm not sure my body can handle Ted Cruz being king dumb for 1-2 years. (Just kidding I'm so ready)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

People with that attitude should have it tattooed in their heads so they can get the lowest quality of labor from every service worker they deal with on a daily basis.

It is one of the reasons I hope the SC rules it is open season with no censorship for license plate designs and text. I am pro-assholes-self-identifying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

I'm so pumped for a Ted Cruz presidential run.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Shifty Pony posted:

It is one of the reasons I hope the SC rules it is open season with no censorship for license plate designs and text. I am pro-assholes-self-identifying.

I'm going to sue to extend the number of characters that can be used. The current limits have a chilling effect on my free speech.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob James posted:

I'm going to sue to extend the number of characters that can be used. The current limits have a chilling effect on my free speech.

RBG asked if "Bong hits for Jesus" would be ok to put on a license plate so...

(It was a follow up to a Scalia joke that fell flat)

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I was thinking more along the lines of Galt's speech attached to my car.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Good job Ted Cruz keep up the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bob James posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Galt's speech attached to my car.

Or a long stream of 1II111II... which speaks to your belief that we are all similar when it comes down to it.

• Locked thread