Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Actually I'm starting a DJ school.

I still need a visa, though, until I get funding.

Unfortunately the MBA and small human murdered my savings.

But she cute.

edit: check out this Usher remix I posted yesterday https://soundcloud.com/jqam/usher-i-dont-mind-jqam-money-trap-mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I really want to hear my Henan Club Remixes. Those were the best.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

bad day posted:

I have decided my time in Henan must come to an end and I want to move to Shanghai, if some weird deal about being handed over a school in Zhengzhou doesn't work out.

I eventually plan to start my own business there, but I might need a job for a year while I scrape up some investment and employees. I've been teaching English in China since 2008, and been with the same company (who love me) since 2010. I've taught at training centers, high schools, middle schools, universities, and done employee training for a branch of SInopec. I recently acquired an MBA from the University of Florida.

I'm not quite sure what to do - my long-term goal will take me about a year to put in motion. I would like to work in business but am not interested in a finance career. I have a lot of teaching experience and wouldn't mind doing that for a year while I get my venture started. But I don't know where to start, exactly. My current job ends in June but I get to keep my residence permit until October. I need to figure something out.

Anyway I know a lot of you have been here for a long time - the business I want to start is specific to Shanghai, and can be eventually expanded into other places like Hong Kong or Singapore. People just tell me "get on linked-in" but my China experience has always been that friendship networks lead to better jobs, and my only experience with LinkedIn is that all the really weird people I know try to get me to join.

So where do I start? Who do I want to work for in Shanghai?

Don't know if you have any contacts from UF (I'm guessing you did an online MBA since you were in China...) but 上海财经大学 has a relationship with UF and sends students here. I don't really know if you just want to teach or something, nor do I know if the UF connection will do a whole lot for you, but I know some random people somewhat affiliated with the UF <--> 上海财经大学 connection who you might want to try to get in touch with, and I know people who are doing the international business MBA here irl

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

bad day posted:

I'm not quite sure what to do - my long-term goal will take me about a year to put in motion. I would like to work in business but am not interested in a finance career. I have a lot of teaching experience and wouldn't mind doing that for a year while I get my venture started. But I don't know where to start, exactly. My current job ends in June but I get to keep my residence permit until October. I need to figure something out.

So where do I start?

My first suggestion is to remember that your time in China is inherently temporary. You know you will have to leave here, regardless of how much time, money, blood, sweat and tears you've spent. We're not Chinese and never will be. With that in mind, seriously consider whether there are other places you could make the same investments, and have a better long term outcome.

Coincidentally China Law Blog yesterday published a piece on starting a WFOE. They've got more information about the capital requirements in earlier posts.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah, I'm gonna start up my business, run it to a point of profitability, sell it in a few years, move somewhere nicer, and start up something in the marijuana tourism biz stateside. My goal is to not need a "job" but rather just do my own thang. Still, though, Shanghai is sort of important in terms of employee-talent-to-rich-customer ratio, I couldn't really see my idea working anywhere else.

Anyway I need a job for one more year, I think. Any and all advice is appreciated.

edit: we intend to move to the USA eventually, but the wife's green card is taking forever.

bad day fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 25, 2015

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Hi thread. Has anyone had a suit made in Beijing? I've heard differing reports on quality of tailors. Some people say you can get a great deal on a suit and some say it's not worth it.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

bad day posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna start up my business, run it to a point of profitability, sell it in a few years, move somewhere nicer, and start up something in the marijuana tourism biz stateside. My goal is to not need a "job" but rather just do my own thang. Still, though, Shanghai is sort of important in terms of employee-talent-to-rich-customer ratio, I couldn't really see my idea working anywhere else.

Anyway I need a job for one more year, I think. Any and all advice is appreciated.

edit: we intend to move to the USA eventually, but the wife's green card is taking forever.

I know of a fairly decent recruiter for Shanghai but it's education only. You basically have the same experience as me (DJ and all!) so I'm sure you could get a job through them easier than I'm doing. Everyone I know of that did an MBA got a job through their MBA teacher (we went to Fudan) so I guess you can't go that route. I guess feel free to PM if you want more options.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
Staying in a hotel in a country town outside Xi'an, it had a Windows XP box in the room, complete with every qq related adware, two "internet explorer" browsers I'd never heard of competing to create popups, online safety programs, toolbars, internet speedometer, custom cursors, screensavers, download managers and links to flash games all over the desktop.

I gave in and browsed a little. I know you can't catch anything from that, but I still feel dirty.

Trammel fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 29, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do they know about April Fools' day in China? I'd like to incorporate it in a class.

Trammel posted:

Staying in a hotel in a country town outside Xi'an, it had a Windows XP box in the room, complete with every qq related adware, two "internet explorer" browsers I'd never heard of competing to create popups, online safety programs, toolbars, internet speedometer, custom cursors, screensavers, download managers and links to flash games all over the desktop.

I gave in and browsed a little. I know you can't catch anything from that, but I still feel dirty.

Every single computer in the school I work at is like this. In fact, I haven't seen a computer that isn't infested that wasn't an expat's laptop.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 29, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not even a China thing, it's everywhere in Asia I've been.

E: Like my friends in Korea thought my computer was broken because it didn't have constant ad popups and things bouncing across the screen.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

a7m2 posted:

Do they know about April Fools' day in China? I'd like to incorporate it in a class.

My middle school kids do. :argh:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the words of the great meramjert who the heck are you guys

Baddog
May 12, 2001

bad day posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna start up my business, run it to a point of profitability, sell it in a few years, move somewhere nicer, and start up something in the marijuana tourism biz stateside. My goal is to not need a "job" but rather just do my own thang.

Are you sure you are an adult with an MBA? This sounds like the business plan of an eight year old.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Baddog posted:

Are you sure you are an adult with an MBA? This sounds like the business plan of an eight year old.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baddog posted:

Are you sure you are an adult?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I was doing a dual degree MA/MBA thing and did an internship here in China and then the company I interned at offered me the kind of job I was getting an MBA to get so I didn't finish my degree even though I did like 80% of the work for it. The only real thing holding me back is the 30k~ USD I'd need to pay for the whole semester, as per my school's requirement, you need to pay for a whole semester the semester you defend/graduate even if you don't do a full run of classes. I sometimes get really stressed out about my choice to work instead of finishing that and look at my slowly growing savings and debate just paying for the thing in full.

I guess what I'm saying is I learned Chinese for 4 years to get a job I don't speak Chinese for lol

Also China is an incredibly hostile environment for foreign run companies. I have a lot of friends with startups in Shanghai and they all have to deal with about 100000x the bullshit you would anywhere else due to visas (they can't legally hire anyone, sometimes even their own status is dubious), taxes, and the fact you need a Chinaperson to actually be the actual for real person who owns your company.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 30, 2015

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

That said send me a PM and I can get you in touch with some people there I guess??

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

I was doing a dual degree MA/MBA thing and did an internship here in China and then the company I interned at offered me the kind of job I was getting an MBA to get so I didn't finish my degree even though I did like 80% of the work for it. The only real thing holding me back is the 30k~ USD I'd need to pay for the whole semester, as per my school's requirement, you need to pay for a whole semester the semester you defend/graduate even if you don't do a full run of classes. I sometimes get really stressed out about my choice to work instead of finishing that and look at my slowly growing savings and debate just paying for the thing in full.
I was in a similar situation back home. Got a great job despite not having my degree just yet. Eventually I got it (paid for the full semester also) and it was worth just getting it over with.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

I guess what I'm saying is I learned Chinese for 4 years to get a job I don't speak Chinese for lol

Also China is an incredibly hostile environment for foreign run companies. I have a lot of friends with startups in Shanghai and they all have to deal with about 100000x the bullshit you would anywhere else due to visas (they can't legally hire anyone, sometimes even their own status is dubious), taxes, and the fact you need a Chinaperson to actually be the actual for real person who owns your company.

Maybe for small companies, but large companies seem to manage OK.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tell that to Glaxosmithkline and Rio Tinto lol

what a terrible fart simpson

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Maybe for small companies, but large companies seem to manage OK.

Well I'm sure his DJ school will be closer to an MNC than a startup and have no problems hiring anyone and be able to afford a team from PwC or something to handle all their tax and business cert stuff, but I thought it germane to mention my friends at smaller startups in Shanghai anyway.

e: glaxosmithkline always sounds like a fake sci-fi novel evil corporation to me lol

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Did you learn nothing from proprc?

1. Do whatever you want
2. Get inspected and bribe official or their boss with homemade stone baked pizza
3. ??????
4. Profit
(5. Go native, eat placenta, support al-quaeda)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

Well I'm sure his DJ school will be closer to an MNC than a startup and have no problems hiring anyone and be able to afford a team from PwC or something to handle all their tax and business cert stuff, but I thought it germane to mention my friends at smaller startups in Shanghai anyway.

e: glaxosmithkline always sounds like a fake sci-fi novel evil corporation to me lol

Why do you have to be so negative all the time?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

simplefish posted:

Did you learn nothing from proprc?

1. Do whatever you want
2. Get inspected and bribe official or their boss with homemade stone baked pizza
3. ??????
4. Profit
(5. Go native, eat placenta, support al-quaeda)

Did you hear about the bitcoiner that sent $1 worth of bitcoins to ISIS as a joke?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

fart simpson posted:

Did you hear about the bitcoiner that sent $1 worth of bitcoins to ISIS as a joke?

No

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Twitter, changetip, and the US government didn't find it very funny.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Why do you have to be so negative all the time?

I'm one of the most China-positive people in this thread, thank you very much.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm one of the most China-positive people in this thread, thank you very much.

I'm gay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Twitter, changetip, and the US government didn't find it very funny.

much like your posting

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

much like your posting

My posting isn't a conscious thing that can have opinions on humor.

Also, mods ban this sick filth. He didn't even capitalize here in the serious thread.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
It's too bad I'm so old and uneducated. Despite the downsides, these threads always make me wish I could rewind time and get a bachelor's degree, or whatever I would need to allow me to traipse around Asia teaching kids English, or homosexuality, or whatever. I'd pull up stakes and go anywhere that would pay me a living wage, at this point in my life. Except Korea. I know many people who went to Korea for work, and just... no.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's too bad I'm so old and uneducated. Despite the downsides, these threads always make me wish I could rewind time and get a bachelor's degree, or whatever I would need to allow me to traipse around Asia teaching kids English, or homosexuality, or whatever. I'd pull up stakes and go anywhere that would pay me a living wage, at this point in my life. Except Korea. I know many people who went to Korea for work, and just... no.

Good call. Korean "culture" is probably the worst in the world.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Magna Kaser posted:

I thought it was weird that last goonmeet we had a goon working in biotech from cali and never heard of GSK

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How old are you? If you're under 45 you can get an "internship" in China quite easily and relatively cheaply.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Briefly post-stalking you, it seems you know how to program? Can you make any money at all on the internet? You don't need much income to survive in Asia, and you could tutor people on the side. Being white is a more important qualification than a degree of any kind for freelance tutoring people. "Being old" might be anywhere from a small to large disadvantage, because people are going to prefer younger tutors probably, but I had a co-worker who must have been at least 65 when I taught in China. She had been there for years and had a lot of students that really liked her, and I know she tutored on the side too.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

Briefly post-stalking you, it seems you know how to program? Can you make any money at all on the internet? You don't need much income to survive in Asia, and you could tutor people on the side. Being white is a more important qualification than a degree of any kind for freelance tutoring people. "Being old" might be anywhere from a small to large disadvantage, because people are going to prefer younger tutors probably, but I had a co-worker who must have been at least 65 when I taught in China. She had been there for years and had a lot of students that really liked her, and I know she tutored on the side too.

If you have 5 years experience programming (visa requirement) and aren't totally braindead there are a zillion companies that would want you.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

a7m2 posted:

How old are you? If you're under 45 you can get an "internship" in China quite easily and relatively cheaply.

I'm not quite 38. I would certainly like to read about this. What should I search for?

angel opportunity posted:

I have experience in numerous programming languages, but I haven't done any serious programming in a long time. Mostly, I work on hobbyist projects, these days. I imagine there are things I could do to make a little money online, but those usually have lead-time. So, I couldn't just land and start supporting myself with a blog or something. I am super-white, so I have that going for me.

Magna Kaser posted:

If you have 5 years experience programming (visa requirement) and aren't totally braindead there are a zillion companies that would want you.

I am not brain dead, but I don't know that I have the sort of programming experience anyone is looking for. I feel like I would probably be entry-level as far as "corporate" programming goes.

This is the sort of stuff I spend my programming time on, lately:

L-System fun 1
L-System fun 2
L-System fun 3

Picture evolver 1
Picture evolver 2

So, I am not a complete muppet, but I doubt any of those would qualify as a resume piece.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You're only 37, lol...

People in Asia will have no idea how old you are by looking at you, that isn't old at all.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

fart simpson posted:

Good call. Korean "culture" is probably the worst in the world.

But we have all this...

...the fried chicken is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm not quite 38. I would certainly like to read about this. What should I search for?
One of the people doing the same internship as I am is 37, and I know plenty that are about 40.

This is the programme I came in on: http://www.i-to-i.com/teaching-internships/china Maybe there are better ones out there but personally I feel that so far it's been worth every penny and then some. I'm pretty sure there are people in this thread that offer internships also so maybe you can get a better deal. For the one I linked, you do an online course, fly to Beijing, stay there for a week where you receive additional training plus plenty of chances to explore if you use your time wisely. Afterwards you're put on a train to your placement school where you'll be placed with at least one other intern so you're not alone and you receive quite a bit of support. I came in with about 94 other interns and made some great friends during the first week in Beijing.
Make sure you have enough money for a visa and like 5000 RMB spending money so you can have lots of fun in Beijing and not have to live super frugally afterwards. Accommodation and food is provided for free in Beijing and the placement school (some placement schools give you money instead of food) and once you start teaching you get 2500 RMB per month allowance (more on your subsequent semesters).

I don't want to sound like a shill for this company so I'll say again that there's a wider selection available, some of which may be better. All I know is that I came in with this programme and it's been amazing. ImmerQi (the company that does the internship, i-to-i is just the course) also offers another programme on their website where you get intensive training in Beijing for a month apparently. I know a lot of non native speakers opted for that, but there were some native speakers also. If you have the cash it might be worth it. I can't attest for the quality of the actual course but the stuff after the course is the same (same conditions and awesome support).

PM me if you have any questions about the whole thing. One recommendation I will give you if you come here, regardless which internship you take: bring toilet paper.