Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ripoff posted:

I'm honestly struggling with this, maybe you can enlighten me - if I were to go into the office at work, completely drunk, and berate and attack a co-worker for making a mistake, I would be fired instantly. I would be fired because I failed to show restraint like a civilized adult, and I would create a hostile and threatening work environment which would be a detriment to everyone else involved.

I've been involved in exactly this situation several times as an observer, minus the actual physical violence (but not necessarily without the threat of physical violence), and it's really a matter of how people handle it afterward. It's not the end of the world unless the people involve make it the end of the world. Now, this also depends on Tymon's actual feelings on the matter, since he was the victim. It is his choice whether to consider an apology and/or other punitive action as sufficient, or not. Presuming he, the victim, was willing and able to make up with Jezza, I think it's unreasonable to say that Clarkson must be fired.

This does not mean it's appropriate behaviour, but there's a vast gap between "proper workplace behaviour" and "must be fired for doing that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JohnSherman posted:

On the other hand, he looks like this:

My earlier comment on wanting to punch him in the face still stands. :colbert:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Either way, between punching people and making racist/bigoted comments, he set himself up for eventual issues.

He's only been accused of making racist comments twice. Once in that instance of the un-aired footage that Daily Mirror got a hold of, and in Burma which Andy Wilman ultimately took responsibility for since "slope" went through BBC's entire production crew without anyone realizing it was racist.

And yes, beating up a producer was still a dumb thing to do. Just in case it wasn't clear.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 25, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CommieGIR posted:

I propose Top Gear: Black Adder

Atkinson, Fry, and Laurie

This would be amazing.

I still want Taki Inoue to be involved somehow, though.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

It's one reason of many I live here. Paying as little as you can in taxes isn't complaining about them.

Also come on, complaining about SJWs is legit when people are seriously posting poo poo like: "same sort of poo poo you hear from people victim-blaming raped women and black kids shot by idiotic white supremacists." when discussing a fight over cold cuts.
I'm not going to go into the specifics of this particular instance because I haven't read the posts you are referring to, but it doesn't automatically follow that when the stakes are wildly different, the mechanics of the discussion couldn't be the same.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

"Follow the standards everyone else follows, as per our policy." That's not a trap. If anything, it's leniency there was a warning. Maybe Clarkson is, by his own admission, an incompatible dinosaur. So it goes!
Why did he even deserve a warning? He didn't say the word, the mumble in which people tried really really hard to hear the word never even made it to broadcast, and the whole thing was a massive non-event. If the warning had come after the "slope" thing I'd have understood it (though apparently that wasn't Clarkson's idea) it'd make sense because I still think he knew it was a slur, but an indistinct mumble in an unbroadcast cut?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Is "sausage roll" what the English call hot dogs?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Why did he even deserve a warning? He didn't say the word, the mumble in which people tried really really hard to hear the word never even made it to broadcast, and the whole thing was a massive non-event. If the warning had come after the "slope" thing I'd have understood it (though apparently that wasn't Clarkson's idea) it'd make sense because I still think he knew it was a slur, but an indistinct mumble in an unbroadcast cut?

And he himself cut it haha. But yeah what a racist.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
mods please move thread to d&d, tia.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is "sausage roll" what the English call hot dogs?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

mods please move thread to gbs, tia.

Fixed

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That looks damned delicious.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Can we take a moment to appreciate James May's ridiculous hat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cfFnBNELs

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ripoff posted:

I'm honestly struggling with this, maybe you can enlighten me - if I were to go into the office at work, completely drunk, and berate and attack a co-worker for making a mistake, I would be fired instantly. I would be fired because I failed to show restraint like a civilized adult, and I would create a hostile and threatening work environment which would be a detriment to everyone else involved. Why is it that Clarkson shouldn't be fired for something like that? Why is it that, when he showed that he couldn't drink like a responsible man and act like a mature adult when something bad happened to him, he gets a free pass to act out like a spoiled child?

Clarkson wasn't doing an office job. Do you rage against the machine anytime an NFL player doesn't get kicked out of the league for a fight?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CoreDuo posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate James May's ridiculous hat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cfFnBNELs

It's a pretty fantastic hat. Wanna wear that hat.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Cole posted:

Clarkson wasn't doing an office job. Do you rage against the machine anytime an NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL,MLS,NCAA, "reality show" player doesn't get kicked out of the league for a fight?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
itt we Americans struggle with not being able to beat our underlings mercilessly

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

A producer in a hotel room is exactly the same as a trained athlete in full pads on a field, we now all see that our social beliefs are in error. A Good Comparison. Also, if one person is hitting another person and it isn't a fight, they DO get kicked out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

T1g4h posted:

It's a pretty fantastic hat. Wanna wear that hat.

It's proof that he's a goon

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
So for the people defending "the Talent" - where is the line drawn?
How far must an A-lister go before you're willing to accept that, nope - they have to go?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Itzena posted:

How far must an A-lister go before you're willing to accept that, nope - they have to go?

Rod Stewart gave me a dirty look from across a nightclub once twenty years ago and I'm still salty he wasn't executed on the spot.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

BraveUlysses posted:

It's proof that he's a goon

I'd believe it. He seems like the kind of guy to post in AI. Someone should buy him an account if he doesn't have one already :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Comrade Flynn posted:

It's one reason of many I live here. Paying as little as you can in taxes isn't complaining about them.

Also come on, complaining about SJWs is legit when people are seriously posting poo poo like: "same sort of poo poo you hear from people victim-blaming raped women and black kids shot by idiotic white supremacists." when discussing a fight over cold cuts.

It's still kinda gaming the system in a way that I think is a bit unfair and a detriment to the country as a whole (rich people paying a lower percentage of their income than the middle class... :words:), but you're right that everybody generally wants to pay as little in taxes as possible and that most people take that into account when choosing where to live, regardless of income. In any case, it's absolutely not a discussion that should be framed as an attack on you or a discussion to be had in this thread. Or probably anywhere on the internet really.

And I don't condone the line of rhetoric that you referenced (also that was posted after I had made my initial point) and most of the people disagreeing with you haven't either. Notice how I haven't been like "yeah man, spot on!" with any of those hyperbolic posts.

I currently work in education reform and it really rubs me the wrong way when people go all "SJWs :rolleyes:" because there's an absolute ton of institutional/cultural/social inequality and abuse that lives under the surface and isn't really known or noticeable to a lot of people, regardless of age or politics. More often than not, it isn't intentional or overt or even something that requires any sort of punishment. But a lot of people get dismissive or defensive when it gets brought up. It's easy to show someone a lynching and be like "see this here is bad" but it's an order of magnitude harder to present the sort of case that requires an academic study with a statistical dataset and complicated factors or direct personal experience or a working understanding of how a given field (like education) operates to give it credibility. People generally don't like to be told that some aspect of the way that they/society are doing something causes problems worth addressing and it's easy to dismiss it as excessive liberal handwringing or whatever if it isn't screamingly obvious.

It doesn't even have to be particularly complex. Look at the whole Penny Arcade "I can't possibly misunderstand how rape culture works because I love my wife and I'd never sexually assault anyone which is why I'm gonna stick it to all of you SJW free speech-killing drama queens by endorsing the sale of 'Team Rape' shirts at PAX" debacle from a few years ago.

It's a loving tragedy that legitimate social/academic/advocacy concepts have been so thoroughly tainted by the pansexual special snowflake Tumblr set because I already get to deal with pushback and dismissal from politicians and administrators in person on a regular basis. Coming home and seeing a generation of otherwise intelligent mostly-youngish mostly-dudes (and mostly-people who could actually effect real change by simply just being aware of poo poo) dismiss real issues outright "because SJWs and drama queens" (I'm not necessarily talking about SA, mind you) is so disheartening sometimes.

Yes, today's been one of "those days" at work.

Also, Top Gear as we know it won't exist anymore and I'm legitimately really sad about that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

DOOMocrat posted:

A producer in a hotel room is exactly the same as a trained athlete in full pads on a field, we now all see that our social beliefs are in error. A Good Comparison. Also, if one person is hitting another person and it isn't a fight, they DO get kicked out.

So you agree that the definition of assault differs based on profession? They get kicked out for the game, not for life.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Cole posted:

So you agree that the definition of assault differs based on profession? They get kicked out for the game, not for life.

Every NHL and NFL player I know of that's committed assault has lost twenty games to a season, for a first offense.

Edit: Also, the personal conduct policy of the BBC probably differs from most pro sports leagues.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 25, 2015

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Itzena posted:

The general rule is that anything that can be kept in-house should be. It's not out of reverence for the talent or their right to be moved to violence over poor catering, but a general acceptance that if the talent goes so does the money and if the money goes so do you. That said, a prolonged physical assault to the point where Clarkson had to be restrained by members of the public is very much pushing it. One drunken swing could probably be forgiven, but it sounds like he really went for him and gave people no choice.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's still kinda gaming the system in a way that I think is a bit unfair and a detriment to the country as a whole (rich people paying a lower percentage of their income than the middle class... :words:), but you're right that everybody generally wants to pay as little in taxes as possible and that most people take that into account when choosing where to live, regardless of income. In any case, it's absolutely not a discussion that should be framed as an attack on you or a discussion to be had in this thread. Or probably anywhere on the internet really.

It's a loving tragedy that legitimate social/academic/advocacy concepts have been so thoroughly tainted by the pansexual special snowflake Tumblr set because I already get to deal with pushback and dismissal from politicians and administrators in person on a regular basis. Coming home and seeing a generation of otherwise intelligent mostly-youngish mostly-dudes (and mostly-people who could actually effect real change by simply just being aware of poo poo) dismiss real issues outright "because SJWs and drama queens" (I'm not necessarily talking about SA, mind you) is so disheartening sometimes.

I mean, if you liked two places equally well, but one place you'd save $100k a year in taxes, there's no way you wouldn't pick that place.

Plus I just happened to already be here when I started my company, but I won't lie in saying the no state income tax is a pretty big reason I won't move back to California, among other things.

Also the special pansexual snowflake Tumblr set ARE the SJWs we are all making fun of. Actual people doing advocacy and making change? Nope. You should hate SJWs more than anyone given they undermine you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
someone give me a Michelle Obama photoshop with #BringBackOurClarkson

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Even better, that's a kolache. Clarkson, you fool :argh:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also the special pansexual snowflake Tumblr set ARE the SJWs we are all making fun of. Actual people doing advocacy and making change? Nope. You should hate SJWs more than anyone given they undermine you.

It's not the social activist's fault that you equate LiveJournal 2.0 fictive headspace roleplayers with actually embracing change.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I mean, if you liked two places equally well, but one place you'd save $100k a year in taxes, there's no way you wouldn't pick that place.

Plus I just happened to already be here when I started my company, but I won't lie in saying the no state income tax is a pretty big reason I won't move back to California, among other things.

I dig.

Comrade Flynn posted:

DOOMocrat posted:

It's not the social activist's fault that you equate LiveJournal 2.0 fictive headspace roleplayers with actually embracing change.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
This thread got weird.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

This thread got terrible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This thread is Reddit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that we've got all that out of our system

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Do you think they'll film any in-studio anything for the remaining footage, or is having a studio audience like, out of the question at this point.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
By all accounts, Oisin basically just stood there and took the abuse from Clarkson, convinced he was out of a job. Arguing that he should "suck it up" or calling him a pussy for not taking it like a man or whatever is ridiculous, especially considering he wasn't even the one to report it. And calling it a slap fight or an argument about cold meats implies Oisin gave as good as he got and paints it all as a simple disagreement between friends, when in reality it was Clarkson basically shooting the messenger.

If possible, I'd prefer it if they shook hands and made up and got on with their lives as producer and producer/writer/host of Top Gear, but I can't really say that it's wrong for someone to be fired over verbally and physically abusing a coworker. Apparently other crewmembers felt uncomfortable about it, so it wasn't something that could just be ignored either.

e: a little late to the party, didn't mean to continue the derail. If they try to continue without Clarkson, I love James May enough to watch as long as he is present. And Hammond, I guess. But if May and/or Hammond leaves as well, then it'd take a lot for me to give whatever it turns into a chance.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 25, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I grew up in a city where it wasn't unusual for bar fights to turn into knife or gun incidents, and I am absolutely flabbergasted that anybody could think it's normal for anyone to so much as touch a coworker against their will, much less attack them. In the workplace, there are rules about how conflicts are resolved. How you settle disputes with your cousins or buddies or whatever is your business, but your coworkers aren't obligated to just be cool with you hitting them.

I can't decide whether this thread is being trolled or some people are just that bent on posturing a cool tough guy persona at all times, but this "in my day we just killed each other and made up the next day" nonsense is either blatantly untrue or you've had a lot of disorderly conduct convictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good dammit. If only Jeremy had hosed a child instead, then Top Gear could still be on the air.