Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hexes murder everything except the lion guys and DLC enemies. So at least upgrade an easy to use weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Grabbed this for the PS3 back when it was first released. Thinking of grabbing it for PC since I never ended up doing the DLC stuff. Am I best off just waiting for Scholar? I don't really get what's going on with that.

Yeah, but why would you want to buy something by From Software's B-team? :smug: :smuggo: :smug:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is there still no list of what graphics changes are going to be made with the remaster coming out in a few weeks? Saying that it uses DX11 is incredibly vague, and trying to guess what's going to be different based on screenshots is a bit difficult. One image I saw had some particle effects that I don't recall seeing before, but that's all I've been able to notice.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I was going to give a longer answer, but you might just want to watch this stream (PlayStation 4 version) from IGN and see for yourself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ahaha the streamer's sword just broke because he swung through a phantom. Guess that was still too much effort to change.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The Frigid Outskirts are actually the worst area in the series. I would rather do the Valley of Defilement and Lost Izalith twenty times each.

edit: yeah gently caress this. I'm done with dark souls 2 now.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 25, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

I played through the game when it came out as a dex char who eventually started throwing lightning bolts.

Think I might up re-release for xbone because I never played the DLCs.

I wanna try hexing this time around -- any basic tips/things I should know?

The dude in Huntsman's Copse who's probably your first hex vendor, also coughs up a great hexing staff when your int and faith are high enough. Upgrade that (uses twinkling, unfortunately) and dark infuse it. You'll get a lot of mileage out of plain old Dark Orb, but check out other hexes for different styles or utility.

Also remember that leveling both int and faith for hexes has a side effect of also making you reasonably competent at sorcery, miracles, and pyromancy (although pyromancy didn't really need that too much in the first place), so don't feel obligated to limit yourself to just hexes.

And yeah, as already mentioned, have a source of easy to use physical damage with relatively low stat requirements. Include a crossbow or bow in there, for when you want to pick things off at range.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah, but why would you want to buy something by From Software's B-team? :smug: :smuggo: :smug:

That's what I'm asking you? I have no idea. I want to get my Dark Souls on, but don't want to end up spending excessive amounts of money if Scholar involves rebuying everything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

LuciferMorningstar posted:

That's what I'm asking you? I have no idea. I want to get my Dark Souls on, but don't want to end up spending excessive amounts of money if Scholar involves rebuying everything.

Buy the new version that's coming out in April. Do not buy anything right now. There's no point.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The Frigid Outskirts are actually the worst area in the series. I would rather do the Valley of Defilement and Lost Izalith twenty times each.

edit: yeah gently caress this. I'm done with dark souls 2 now.

Dude what. How does one incredibly optional area make you want to stop playing the whole game? Was it the only place you hadn't finished and you just wanted to complete everything?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Dude what. How does one incredibly optional area make you want to stop playing the whole game? Was it the only place you hadn't finished and you just wanted to complete everything?

Yes. I have done literally everything else in the game, so I am done now.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh ok.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've got over 200 hours in this game and have never, ever fought the Ancient Dragon or visited the Frigid Outskirts, because why the hell would I?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Vermain posted:

I've got over 200 hours in this game and have never, ever fought the Ancient Dragon or visited the Frigid Outskirts, because why the hell would I?

Curiosity. The worst part about the frigid outskirts is that you then get to play with an utter bullshit fiesta of a boss fight if you manage to chunder through the whole loving thing.

I only did it once. Once was enough for a lifetime.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Frigid Outskirts has a neat ring. Otherwise yeah gently caress that place.

Tag both NPC summons, point yourself at the sun then run like hell.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Frigid Outskirts also has a good dex greatsword if you can beat the boss.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Only reason I ever ventured into that horrible rear end place was to get the fancy Mirrah hat without the mask.

gently caress those goddamn lighting Reindeer bastards.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Is that a DLC area?

I thought everyone loved all the DLCs.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

RottenK posted:

This game is less "love" and more "hatefuck" to me. It's a complete bitch 90% of the time but when you finally get something out of it it feels amazing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't played this since I cleared it once shortly after launch. One of the main reasons I lost interest was the soul memory mechanic, but I remember hearing that's gone now, is that true? Once I wrap up a few games I've got going now I'm thinking about grabbing the DLC content and playing this again, especially if there's a remastered version on the horizon.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

RottenK posted:

Is that a DLC area?

As a general rule, people love the main part of the DLCs (especially the bosses, also the area design, not so much the trash enemies) and have a considerably less favorable view of the designated co-op areas (Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage, Frigid Outskirts).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't played this since I cleared it once shortly after launch. One of the main reasons I lost interest was the soul memory mechanic, but I remember hearing that's gone now, is that true? Once I wrap up a few games I've got going now I'm thinking about grabbing the DLC content and playing this again, especially if there's a remastered version on the horizon.

Soul memory is still present, but now you can buy a ring from Straid that consumes all the souls you earn, not adding them to your soul memory. So you can get to a tier you like and equip that ring and you won't earn any more souls.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Soul memory is still present, but now you can buy a ring from Straid that consumes all the souls you earn, not adding them to your soul memory. So you can get to a tier you like and equip that ring and you won't earn any more souls.

Oh neat! The last thing I remember doing was grinding way, waaaay too many souls trying to get a whip to drop from the crazy assassin type enemies that were in Huntsman's Copse. The whip never dropped and I had completely inflated my soup memory.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You probably didn't raise your sm that much. People probably have between 200k and 800k on each of the great soul routes, and I would be surprised if you got more than 800,000 souls off those guys.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
What's the best deal on the PC version of Sins? Is it really retail price like the original as it seems to be on some of these preorders? Im seeing 40$-50 range

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ARENA.txt posted:

50 +++++ +++++
60 +++++ +++++
70 +++++ +++++
80 +++++ +++++
90 +++++ +++++
100 +

101 net wins... cmon, maybe I can finally get that sweet flaming red aura in time for it to become completely meaningless because the rerelease is out :suicide:

Literally I'm only in it for that aura

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 27, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
SOTFS stream going on right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/bandainamcous

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
49.99 for new version (PC)
29.99 if you own the base game
19.99 if you own game and season pass.

I think that's fair.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Played 600 hours so far, that's reason enough to toss them another 20 I think

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

hanales posted:

I think that's fair.

I didn't catch that in the stream, thanks. This owns so hard. I'm hyped to see what they changed in the rest of the game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

hanales posted:

I think that's fair.

sounds like a scam to me

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's also coming out April 1st.

Yep, totally a scam.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does having all three dlcs bought by themselves count as the season pass I hope so.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That deal is only for PC right? I have 360 DkS2 and I'd be getting the new version on ps4.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

argondamn posted:

That deal is only for PC right? I have 360 DkS2 and I'd be getting the new version on ps4.

How could it possibly apply to not only different generations of the same system... but entirely different systems altogether?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does having all three dlcs bought by themselves count as the season pass I hope so.

They didn't specify they just said owning the DLC. Since it's tracked by steam I'm sure it counts the same way.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Which bonfire in harvest valley do I ascetic to get the 3x chunks, and where are the chunks exactly? I usually do the one in tseldora for the 3x chunks + slab but I'd rather get the chunks now.

e: Why do speedrunners only go to 30 STR? Does the 2-handed STR scaling softcap when it's 40 effective STR at +50% of the base STR (about 27 I imagine.)

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 27, 2015

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

flowinprose posted:

How could it possibly apply to not only different generations of the same system... but entirely different systems altogether?

a man can dream can't he.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The only thing that appeals to me about the SotFS is the new enemy and item placement. Getting the Grand Lance right of the bat is a big change that kinda appeals to me. Everything else doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
holy poo poo, is velstadt just a loving murderer boss or something? after a few tries i took him down and decided "i want the better ring" so i summoned dudes left and right to kill the velstadt + 1 version and they CONSTANTLY DIED. i think i burned through like two dozen sunbros before finishing him

edit: am i going to regret this choice when i try to do vendrick+1