Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Yeah all those bills sponsored by 4th graders are gumming up the works. PICK A SIDE JOHN

They wasted more time sperging and grandstanding over the necessity of it than just pushing it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm assuming that the legislators didn't know that the bill was from the kids watching in the gallery? Or am I giving them too much credit?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a standing ovation for the kids 2mins earlier?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They obviously knew the kids were there, but hopefully they didn't realize that the kids had actually written the bill.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Snark posted:

Yeah all those bills sponsored by 4th graders are gumming up the works. PICK A SIDE JOHN

They wasted more time sperging and grandstanding over the necessity of it than just pushing it through.

I don't really get how this is contrary to his opinion last year. I mean, yeah, it's kinda a dumb bill by literal children, but the real story is that they spent hours grandstanding over it at the expense of other work.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Redtail Hawk bill was the kind of symbolic poo poo that state legislatures love to pass all the time. It's the same poo poo that used to pass unanimously not even ten years ago, a completely worthless feel-good piece of legislation that makes a small interest group happy in a symbolic way.

Like if you had a loving John-Deere factory in your state you'd make some random day John-Deere Appreciation Day because it hurts literally no one and makes a little group feel good about themselves.

Basically it's just another example of how our hyper-partisan system has turned life into a madhouse, even at the expense of loving literal children doing a civics project.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Important lesson for these kids: if you want your bill to pass you gotta get out there and whip up some votes. Get those sweet child mugs in state legislator's offices and in front of cameras so you can twist some arms into supporting your bill. Liberally throw around Redtail Hawk lobby money to grease the wheels and sell out some principled stands you have on other legislation in return for the last votes you need. Offer to appear in an anti-Planned Parenthood commercial come that one dude's next election cycle, making GBS threads all over your parents' decision that caused you not to have a brother or sister and has made you fear for your life. That's how it's done kids. Their civics teacher really failed them tbh.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

How are u posted:

The Redtail Hawk bill was the kind of symbolic poo poo that state legislatures love to pass all the time. It's the same poo poo that used to pass unanimously not even ten years ago, a completely worthless feel-good piece of legislation that makes a small interest group happy in a symbolic way.

Like if you had a loving John-Deere factory in your state you'd make some random day John-Deere Appreciation Day because it hurts literally no one and makes a little group feel good about themselves.

Basically it's just another example of how our hyper-partisan system has turned life into a madhouse, even at the expense of loving literal children doing a civics project.

Fun enough my state had something like that. A representative was asked to make Make Way for ducklings the official children's book of the commonwealth. However some people in the western part of the state wanted it to be a Dr. Seuss book. They had to copmpromise and Dr. Seuss was the official children's author and Make Way for duckings was the official children's book. It took a couple of years.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

One of the things that got me about the long form bit was how little of a shot the audience gave about what was happening and I'm going to put it down to class. The people of the receiving end of this poo poo seem to be working class folk.

I think Jon knew this was going to be a problem which is why he then did silly advert packed with middle class metropolitan folks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

notaspy posted:

One of the things that got me about the long form bit was how little of a shot the audience gave about what was happening and I'm going to put it down to class. The people of the receiving end of this poo poo seem to be working class folk.

It's just incredibly hard for most people to imagine not having $41 to pay a ticket.

Which is perhaps the bigger problem.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or maybe people who work for a living have a sense of personal responsibility and, as a consequence, don't feel bad for people who break the law.

As the saying goes: Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Or maybe people who work for a living have a sense of personal responsibility and, as a consequence, don't feel bad for people who break the law.

Right but if the crime doesn't constitute losing an entire week's paycheck for you, then go ahead and do the crime you upstanding citizen you. I only like my offenders to be rich and successful

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

The segment was basically about people who have been punished punitively for moving violations and other minor offenses. It's just a shame that there isn't any punitive punishment for being a lovely poster.

geeves fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 24, 2015

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Irish Joe posted:

These laws are stupid if this is how they are enforced. You are the shittiest gimmick poster.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

In love you Irish Joe. I get so angry reading your posts, then I see its you and I feel all is right in the world

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Having money = no conscience is probably the funniest thing I've read today.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

I was going to have a rant but then I looked to the left of my screen. "Oh it's just Irish Joe".

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's hilarious seeing Irish Joe posts only in quotes in awful app. Everyone should place him on ignore, just to see what it's like.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The only thing dumber than taking Irish Joe seriously is smugposting about having a poster on your ignore list.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought it would be kind of lame to bring up seeing a red tailed hawk at work the other day, but if Irish Joe's pantshitting can get multiple comments, I can afford to be a little lame.

I saw a Red Tailed Hawk at work the other day. It was rad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I also didn't pay much attention to the long bit, and class probably makes a lot of sense. HBO is the most expensive cable channel there is, and they're talking about problems for people who, by nature of not being able to pay a speeding ticket, also can't afford HBO.

On the other hand, the hawk thing seemed especially overwrought. The Planned Parenthood guy was an idiot, but when he was building it up I was hoping it would be argued/rejected.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I also didn't pay much attention to the long bit, and class probably makes a lot of sense. HBO is the most expensive cable channel there is, and they're talking about problems for people who, by nature of not being able to pay a speeding ticket, also can't afford HBO.

HBO shows are also massively pirated. I don't have exact numbers but I'd say they are pirated far more than any other networks shows and HBO knows this.

It's also less about not wanting to pay for HBO and more about not paying for cable. HBO is finally adding a web only subscription but only for Apple devices. Ugh.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I saw a Red Tailed Hawk at work the other day. It was rad.
pics or it is less likely to have happened

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I also didn't pay much attention to the long bit, and class probably makes a lot of sense.
So far the most boring long segment for me was the infrastructure one. What does that say about my life?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

It's also less about not wanting to pay for HBO and more about not paying for cable. HBO is finally adding a web only subscription but only for Apple devices. Ugh.

Really? I was excited for this, I'm about to move away from the HBO access I'm living with. I didn't hear about the Apple device requirement, that's awful.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I didn't hear about the Apple device requirement, that's awful.

For 3 months. Then it's open slather

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

xcore posted:

For 3 months. Then it's open slather

Oh drat, really? That's great news.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, the exclusivity period ends after 3 months. I'm not sure I have faith in HBO's dev team to have functioning apps on all platforms before the end of this year.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
HBO has openly said it's cool with people sharing HBOGO logins because they'd rather have you watch their programming than not watch it, and if people really like it, they'll pay for it themselves.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last Week Tonight puts their long form segment up on Youtube for free every week.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

HBO shows are also massively pirated. I don't have exact numbers but I'd say they are pirated far more than any other networks shows and HBO knows this.

Honestly I've been in the situation covered on that segment and this isn't quite true. I had to get a title loan a few years back to pay for a ticket I got for driving with an expired license. I was mostly lucky that my family was coming into some small windfall of money shortly after and they were willing to cover the cost of the loan, which is the only reason I got it. I was fully prepared to do time served in lieu of income. Otherwise I would have lost my poo poo. I still get HBO more often than not because cable companies bundle things in such a way stateside that it's usually an affordable cost increase.

The schemes the courts and predatory loans have to keep you in a hosed up cycle are so loving expensive that the money you save not getting hbo or something frivolous like that is nowhere near enough to escape.

Point is, this show is still reaching people for whom this experience is immensely relateable. I'm more surprised that people don't know how easy it is for minor misdemeanors to gently caress your poo poo up completely. I know some people evidently better off just skipping out on tickets and doing time served when they go around serving warrants for them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Last Week Tonight puts their long form segment up on Youtube for free every week.

Probably some of the best advertising you get considering how often those segments make the news international. Or at least in Australia. I think, what three segments made it to the Australian mainstream news, and I doubt that Australia is unique in this.

Even when doesn't make the news, at least once every three weeks I see someone (non American) sharing one.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hemophilia posted:

The schemes the courts and predatory loans have to keep you in a hosed up cycle are so loving expensive that the money you save not getting hbo or something frivolous like that is nowhere near enough to escape.

HBO is around $15 a month, cable is probably around another $60, for a total of $75 a month, or $900 a year. If, instead of frivolously wasting that money on luxuries you can't afford, you placed it in an investment account earning 7% interest, you would have around $90,000 in 30 years.

Escaping isn't about coming into a sudden windfall or getting that dream job, its about working hard and saving what you earn so that you have money when you need it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

HBO is around $15 a month, cable is probably around another $60, for a total of $75 a month, or $900 a year. If, instead of frivolously wasting that money on luxuries you can't afford, you placed it in an investment account earning 7% interest, you would have around $90,000 in 30 years.

Escaping isn't about coming into a sudden windfall or getting that dream job, its about working hard and saving what you earn so that you have money when you need it.

I suspect you've never lived in poverty but I'm looking at my budget and ditching HBO would do exactly gently caress-all to save me if I got another ticket in the next year or so, assuming nothing else went wrong in my life, and if it did and it will, you can kick that out a couple of years with my current rate of income. I don't expect to be making this little for that long, but I digress, the cable I get is a neat perk that comes with the cost of my phone and internet, and those aren't optional in the untied states in 2015. Looking at the people in that segment, it looks like even cutting my costs to subsistence/homelessness wouldn't help much either.

Not gonna defend myself to irish joe anymore, I was only pointing out that people who relate are definitely seeing this stuff. I didn't have the fraction of the overhead I do now when my ticket happened and it still could have hosed me up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hemophilia posted:

the cable I get is a neat perk that comes with the cost of my phone and internet, and those aren't optional in the untied states in 2015. Looking at the people in that segment, it looks like even cutting my costs to subsistence/homelessness wouldn't help much either.

Internet is entirely optional. If you desperately need to get online, you can go to a library/school. As for your phone, buy minutes and only use it for business/important matters. The point is, if you're spending all your money on luxuries to the point where you can't afford to pay a speeding ticket, you're not poor, you're just bad with money.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
E: ^^ you're right

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 26, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hemophilia posted:

Honestly I've been in the situation covered on that segment and this isn't quite true. I had to get a title loan a few years back to pay for a ticket I got for driving with an expired license. I was mostly lucky that my family was coming into some small windfall of money shortly after and they were willing to cover the cost of the loan, which is the only reason I got it. I was fully prepared to do time served in lieu of income. Otherwise I would have lost my poo poo. I still get HBO more often than not because cable companies bundle things in such a way stateside that it's usually an affordable cost increase.

Point is, this show is still reaching people for whom this experience is immensely relateable. I'm more surprised that people don't know how easy it is for minor misdemeanors to gently caress your poo poo up completely. I know some people evidently better off just skipping out on tickets and doing time served when they go around serving warrants for them.

I ended up doing jail time for not returning a DVD to public library. I actually had returned it and the librarians found it on a shelf, but I was going to be hit with a 10$ fine and 1450$ worth of 'fees'. The look of sadness on the Town Manager when they realized they were about to be sued for their 'guaranteed moneymaking technique' was amazing.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Well, the exclusivity period ends after 3 months. I'm not sure I have faith in HBO's dev team to have functioning apps on all platforms before the end of this year.

Also, from the sound of things, you'll need a provider of some sort to sign up to HBO Now through.

From the weird Cablevision or whoever announcement, it sounds like HBO has no interest in running billing on their own and is going to farm that out. So when it goes wide, you won't go to HBO.com and sign up, but will instead need to find someone who is selling HBO access and sign up through them.

My guess is that eventually Amazon or Google becomes one of those resellers and kinda takes over that market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

dr_rat posted:

Probably some of the best advertising you get considering how often those segments make the news international. Or at least in Australia. I think, what three segments made it to the Australian mainstream news, and I doubt that Australia is unique in this.

Even when doesn't make the news, at least once every three weeks I see someone (non American) sharing one.

This is the major difference between the impact Last Week Tonight is having and anything else. They haven't region locked anything so Oliver randomly calling people on their poo poo can been seen by everyone.

• Locked thread