Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

Welp, mods hosed up something in my game because now all my icons that hover over buildings/roads disappeared. No "no water/electricity", "on fire", "abandoned" etc. icons are showing up at all.

Anyone else have this issue?

Okay, my roads don't have arrows either. I could have sworn someone in this thread has the problem with no road arrows and fixed it but I can't find the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Subyng posted:

Okay, my roads don't have arrows either. I could have sworn someone in this thread has the problem with no road arrows and fixed it but I can't find the post.

IIRC they discovered it was related to the zonable pedestrian paths mod.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It was me, and yeah, that is what was causing it for me. The guy is making big changes to that mod and its currently going through some serious growing pains. You might want to not use it (assuming your city isn't completely dependent on it) for a day or two and let the dust settle. To fix my issues what I did was unsubscribe and then have steam verify my local files.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Thanks, I found your comment on the Steam Workshop. That did it for me. Now I just have to figure out which mod got rid of all the icons above buildings.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Bad Caller posted:

Also obviously this game can't run 'actual' city populations and the amount of land it'd take to make one is insane, but for the scale what do you guys use to make your population numbers seem more realistic? I typically multiply by 20 but even then it sometimes makes towns way too big for what they are. I do like how the population is meaningful, though. District painting is an obsession.
I use the simcity method of (pop-500)^1.25+500 up until it's about 45k then it's 8.25(pop)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What types of zones make for the best office tower core found in big cities? I am finding a lot of office zone buildings are rather short even at level 3.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm using one of the big pre-made cities from the Workshop (Lazyopolis) as a sandbox city, and I built a dam upriver of downtown. But the dam wouldn't come online, so I bulldozed it... and accidentally Katrina'd the riverside residential expansion I added on to it when the blacklog of water finally flowed downstream:

Oops.

This is also the city that had the 15,000 casualty poo poo Flu outbreak, btw.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I know it's a pipe dream but I so wish this game had weather or disasters.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bad Caller posted:

Also obviously this game can't run 'actual' city populations and the amount of land it'd take to make one is insane, but for the scale what do you guys use to make your population numbers seem more realistic? I typically multiply by 20 but even then it sometimes makes towns way too big for what they are. I do like how the population is meaningful, though. District painting is an obsession.

If you look at my screenshots that show the UI, you can see I'm using the fudged pop numbers mod.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I know it's a pipe dream but I so wish this game had weather or disasters.

Why is it a pipe dream? At this point the modders might even do it before Colossal, but I'd bet the devs have it on their to-do list as well.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I see multiple icons below some of your guys districts- how is it you can set multiple industry types as growable in a particular district?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

I see multiple icons below some of your guys districts- how is it you can set multiple industry types as growable in a particular district?

Policies show up there too, so if you've got a farming district with industrial growth and free mass transit, it'll show a tractor, the industrial growth icon, and a bus.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Poizen Jam posted:

They're policies.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Never again will I look at a map that says 45% buildable area and think that that's small. It feels like I've put a hundred hours into this map and there's still 8 tiles left. 19 small towns knit together into a single map so far. Friggin' incredible.

No idea what the hell happened to my public transit, though. I had 13k riders a week, then I tripled my population and now it's down to 5k. Some bus lines went from 300 riders a week to 25.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

After getting burned by SimCity 5, I was real hesitant to enjoy this game. It really is fantastic. This is what I expected to have now, back when I was playing SimCity 2000.

Is anyone aware of a mod that disables the graphics entirely and just runs the simulation? The 3x speed slowing down when the simulation gets too heavy for your machine is a bit of a buzzkill (albeit an expected one). I've been a lazy scrub and am playing on my MacBook Air at some small resolution, but even so it takes exponentially longer for me to get from 40k-60k pop than it does from 0-40k.

I also finally caved in and bought a new monitor for my gaming machine, which gets here tomorrow. Even on a much faster computer I would like to be able to turn the graphics off and run the simulation at insane speeds to … experiment :air quote:

Edit: I'm sure it's a mac only bug, but I tried binding raise/lower path elevations to mouse4/5 and they didn't work. I thought the game was just broken, so I was playing w/ surface roads only for a few days before I tried rebinding them to up/down arrow on my keyboard.

This is my latest 60k city. It accidentally got ruined when I 'upgraded' all of the 6 lane roads to have trees, and didn't realize I had the one way variant picked :doh:

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 26, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hailthefish posted:

Policies show up there too, so if you've got a farming district with industrial growth and free mass transit, it'll show a tractor, the industrial growth icon, and a bus.

Yeah, the big policies that affect the way districts develop are the General/Forest/Ore/Oil zoning policies for Industrial zone, and the High Rise and Heavy Traffic bans for Residential/Office/Commerical zones.

The High Rise Ban one is useful to keep high density zones from turning into skyscraper forests if you're looking to create a small town or suburb area.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Is anyone aware of a mod that disables the graphics entirely and just runs the simulation? The 3x speed slowing down when the simulation gets too heavy for your machine is a bit of a buzzkill (albeit an expected one). I've been a lazy scrub and am playing on my MacBook Air at some small resolution, but even so it takes exponentially longer for me to get from 40k-60k pop than it does from 0-40k.

I'm pretty sure the slow down has more to do with have 60,000 agents moving around your city than it does actual graphics, so I don't think disabling graphics would actually help THAT much for the simulation side.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Shanakin posted:

They're policies.

Well that's a shame. Seems silly not to be able to zone, say 'Oil and Metal' or 'Farming and Forestry'.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm pretty sure the slow down has more to do with have 60,000 agents moving around your city than it does actual graphics, so I don't think disabling graphics would actually help THAT much for the simulation side.

The days were taking around 45 seconds each (3x speed) at the resolution I normally play it, dropped down to high 20's when at 640x480.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

The days were taking around 45 seconds each (3x speed) at the resolution I normally play it, dropped down to high 20's when at 640x480.

I understand the problem, but it's not the graphics, it's the game simulating that 60,000 population doing things.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I understand the problem, but it's not the graphics, it's the game simulating that 60,000 population doing things.

As I just said, the ~100% speed increase by reducing the graphics workload is evidence enough that there would be nontrivial benefit from running the simulation only. I have no doubt that the developers themselves did this in testing of the agents.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Chewbot posted:

Why is it a pipe dream? At this point the modders might even do it before Colossal, but I'd bet the devs have it on their to-do list as well.

I thought it would be insanely taxing to simulate

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I thought it would be insanely taxing to simulate

Not necessarily. Depends on how they have things set up under the hood.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody have a naming convention for districts? I figure I'd want to name neighborhoods all kinds of thing but most of the time I don't really care.

When I do care, I tend to use names of Spyro 2 levels and X3:TC zones.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 26, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

skooma512 posted:

Anybody have a naming convention for districts? I figure I'd want to name neighborhoods all kinds of thing but most of the time I don't really care.

On the map I made using US national park height data I used the names of US national parks.

I'm not a very good at names.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My city's names have developed somewhat organically. The whole city started as "First Town", which I eventually changed to Firston. Morgona started as "Morgan Groves" named in honor of my dog. Windshore is name so because that is where all the windmill power generators were originally, Waterside was an obvious choice for that area. The other districts are just pretty obvious descriptors of what they are, industry or commercial, plus the two major parks.

Struggling to name the island I'll be expanding onto eventually. Just can't think of anything decent.

X3:TC names could work pretty well, especially the Boron ones.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My city's names have developed somewhat organically. The whole city started as "First Town", which I eventually changed to Firston. Morgona started as "Morgan Groves" named in honor of my dog. Windshore is name so because that is where all the windmill power generators were originally, Waterside was an obvious choice for that area. The other districts are just pretty obvious descriptors of what they are, industry or commercial, plus the two major parks.

Struggling to name the island I'll be expanding onto eventually. Just can't think of anything decent.

X3:TC names could work pretty well, especially the Boron ones.

legalize weed, nerd

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This website has ruined me.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This website has ruined me.

I dont see the resemblance. For instance, theres no ring.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Welcome to Rockfield!

In true American fashion you have to drive down the main strip and past all my commercial areas before you can get anywhere. :10bux:

I can buy more tiles to work with but I haven't yet. Seriously considering grabbing the one the highway is on so I can do something with the dumb paired offramps. Maybe consolidate them into a 6-lane.

Having to constantly bulldoze buildings to plop down special ones (high school, police station, etc) gets kind of annoying. Is there a list of their different dimensions/footprints anywhere to make it easier to plan around them?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I hobble together anglicised irish names from http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_names_in_Ireland based on land marks, which is how everything around me is named. So if ive a forest town, its ballyrush, a cemetary on a hill is killard etc.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Absolutely cannot believe this intersection works.

Heaviest traffic from the left side, but the other two are moderate as well. Left turns were killing the flow of it with or without a traffic light. It's the mountains, two big regional roads meet right in the center of three industrial areas. No space for highways.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I was bored and in first person perspective driving around my city and then I found this:

I love these devs.

Ad by Khad posted:

Absolutely cannot believe this intersection works.

Heaviest traffic from the left side, but the other two are moderate as well. Left turns were killing the flow of it with or without a traffic light. It's the mountains, two big regional roads meet right in the center of three industrial areas. No space for highways.

Dude just build a trumpet highway intersection already, that intersection is giving me nightmares. Also cheat with the terrain mod so you can level the land like any sane civil engineer would.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 26, 2015

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Chewbot posted:

The random business name generator mod is working flawlessly:

I was really excited for this mod, but for the life of me I can't get it to work, and I've still got a row of 17 Frank's Fishstick Factories whenever I zone commercial. Are there any known mods that don't allow it to work, or a secret I'm missing?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Most of the "crazy intersections" I have seen made in this game don't even come close to what real life has to offer on the subject.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Most of the "crazy intersections" I have seen made in this game don't even come close to what real life has to offer on the subject.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
All this posting of intersections reminds me of the ask/tell thread from that real City planner dude. I think this game is his nirvana, anyone got the link to the a/t thread?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Domattee posted:

also I just spend half the day figuring out 3ds max UV maps, but now when I try to test it out ingame the game won't load

can't be the mods

mustn't be mods

Nope, did you remove the materials from the model before exporting? The model should be a blank colour in the 3D view. You go to the 'Utilities' menu which is the last little button on the right (Where the modify and etc tabs are).

Go to more - then it's something like UVW remove. Then a button will show up - then remove materials.

I really need to make an entry level video for folks because it was really frustrating learning I could of saved time if there was a direct video about Cities Skylines + 3DS

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

stradiwari posted:

All this posting of intersections reminds me of the ask/tell thread from that real City planner dude. I think this game is his nirvana, anyone got the link to the a/t thread?

Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer!

He talks about playing SimCity just on the first page.