Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Plague of Hats posted:

Cute and Fuzzy Cock-fighting Seizure Monsters
This phrase is the only good thing to come out of BESM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Nuns with Guns posted:

Where's my Tokyo Mew Mew RPG?

edit- actually I could see how a Cardcaptor rpg could be pretty fun
would play the hell out of a Cardcaptor Sakura RPG ngl

or a princess tutu elfgame aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

There was a Sailor Moon RPG?

There was a Tenchi Muyo RPG?

What other Toonami poo poo were there RPGs of?!

Not Toonami but I wish that Bubblegum Crisis RPG came out in a system other than Fuzion

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 26, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Effectronica posted:

It would be cool if we had a magical girl RPG that was written by someone who'd seen anything beyond Sailor Moon, Madoka, and maybe some Precure.

Ars Magica

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I still want an Outlaw Star RPG. It just sticks in my head "Well of course your space wizards are Taoist, it's just common sense. And obviously your ships are gonna kung fu fight, I mean, how else does ship to ship combat work?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

I still want an Outlaw Star RPG. It just sticks in my head "Well of course your space wizards are Taoist, it's just common sense. And obviously your ships are gonna kung fu fight, I mean, how else does ship to ship combat work?

There was a supplement for Exalted 2E called Shards of the Exalted dream, which had a bunch of alt settings. One was Outlaw Star (and a bunch of other sci-fi pastiches) with the serial numbers filed off.

Honestly want to port that over to 3E

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
David Pulver went on to make Mutants and Masterminds, a game that shares a lot of ideas with BESM but was executed way better from the start, even with its d20 system handicap. I think he also made Icons? I know he also wrote some GURPS books. Dude is just all about the universal systems.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lynx Winters posted:

David Pulver went on to make Mutants and Masterminds, a game that shares a lot of ideas with BESM but was executed way better from the start, even with its d20 system handicap. I think he also made Icons? I know he also wrote some GURPS books. Dude is just all about the universal systems.

I think you might be mistaken as David Pulver is not credited in my copy of Icons and M&M. You might be mistaking him with Steve Kenson who is the creator of both those books.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
gently caress me, you're right. Pulver did write a bunch of GURPS books including Transhuman Space and co-authored GURPS 4e, though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oh, hey, they let pathguy put his D&D generators back up. C&Ding him seemed like a pretty cruel move on WOTC's part.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Froghammer posted:

This phrase is the only good thing to come out of BESM.

BESM actually had two pretty cool setting sourcebooks come out for it that weren't direct anime licenses or anything. One was S. John Ross' Uresia: Grave of Heaven which is a charming, slightly tongue-in-cheek "anime fantasy" game full of living snowmen, battle chefs, and a nation of reformed villains trying to make good with mixed results, and Centauri Knights which is a somewhat more serious sci-fi setting in a Blue Planet/Eclipse Phase vein by David Pulver. I highly recommend both of these as a source for ideas if nothing else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

a nation of reformed villains trying to make good with mixed results

This is always a good time. Reformed supervillains and dark lords who keep slipping into the old habits are great.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DalaranJ posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that BESM was really unplayably bad. It was a game that wanted to be FUDGE but for some reason was designed like GURPS.
The point-based build-an-effect system meant that BESM was trying to be a lighter-math version of Champions/Hero, not GURPS.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Waffleman_ posted:

You're forgetting the king of unplayable Toonami RPGs. Fun story, I actually tried running a game of this. First session was a tournament, the adventure in the back of the book. Had some fun roleplaying, then got to the first match. Both players powered up, then the Saiyan PC sunk all his ki into extra actions and pasted his opponent a dozen times over. And that was the last time we played!

(One of the writers later made a tell-all thread about how they knew the game was broken and bullshit and their contract was terrible, but hey money's money. He also put out an unreleased manuscript that is HILARIOUS reading.)

Kai Tave posted:

BESM actually had two pretty cool setting sourcebooks come out for it that weren't direct anime licenses or anything. One was S. John Ross' Uresia: Grave of Heaven which is a charming, slightly tongue-in-cheek "anime fantasy" game full of living snowmen, battle chefs, and a nation of reformed villains trying to make good with mixed results, and Centauri Knights which is a somewhat more serious sci-fi setting in a Blue Planet/Eclipse Phase vein by David Pulver. I highly recommend both of these as a source for ideas if nothing else.
Centauri Knights was great and I'm disappointed they never did anything with it (even just adding "here's where we planned on going with the plot" notes when they put out the d20 books, like White Wolf did with Trinity). Never really seemed right for Tri-Stat, although their take on "magic" and "mecha" was neat.

Uresia, meanwhile, got bought back by S. John Ross, who put out a system-neutral version of the setting that I cannot recommend enough. I'll put it this way: I bought the "Stupid Expensive HyperDeluxe Omnibus Edition" after reading the teaser. On sale, sure, but still pricey.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good breakdown/review of the Adventure Game Engine somewhere? I heard that it was both easily dismissed as a generic d20 clone while also being completely different if you actually took time to dig into the mechanics. I wanted to get some insight because a new Blue Rose sounds like something I'd definitely back just on the strength of its principles.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Ettin, please reopen grognards.txt

Well, you were polite.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Well, you were polite.

Something something definition of insanity.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Damnation is doing the same thing over and over and getting the same result.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Ningyou posted:

or a princess tutu elfgame aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bit late to anime chat, but Princess Tutu: the game was literally what I was thinking of when I read through Chuubo's Marvellous Wish-granting Engine. The whole game is structured around the story archetypes the characters find themselves on the path of, there's a lovely magical realist atmosphere, and it'd be super easy to stat up any of the characters from the show.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There is also Princess: the Hopeful, a fan splat of the World of Darkness of all things. I am no good at judging mechanics, but from a tone standpoint it doesn't really gel with the rest of the setting and it feels really amateurish when it comes to editing.

Every time I read it I can't help but think that if the focus shifted from "look how nice and good and pure the Hopeful are" to "It sucks trying to do good in the WoD, also are we sure we know what's best for humanity?" it could have felt right at home.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 26, 2015

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Where's the Tweeny Witches elfgame all about capturing escaped sprites, fighting wizards, and dealing with emotions?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Changeling: The Lost with a focus on the talespinning stuff has enough Princess Tutu in the DNA that I think I'm going to make it required viewing next time.

(Talespinning characters who don't just have limited access from some "I am a story archetype" merit go full Drosselmeyer very quickly.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lynx Winters posted:

BESM in a general is a kinda bad but simple do-anything system with some incredibly ridiculous loopholes and rocket-tag combat. The biggest broke thing comes from the mecha rules, which Sailor Moon doesn't have, but Sailor Moon still has rocket-tag combat because the guy who wrote it never actually used his own combat rules until David Pulver sat him down and forced him to.

Also in BESM 3rd ed, the suggested stat pool for an "ordinary" character could very easily have an attack that hit literally everyone in the universe with cruise missiles, except for the people they liked, and could be spammed at will until they murdered everyone.

AmiYumi posted:

You're forgetting the king of unplayable Toonami RPGs. Fun story, I actually tried running a game of this. First session was a tournament, the adventure in the back of the book. Had some fun roleplaying, then got to the first match. Both players powered up, then the Saiyan PC sunk all his ki into extra actions and pasted his opponent a dozen times over. And that was the last time we played!

(One of the writers later made a tell-all thread about how they knew the game was broken and bullshit and their contract was terrible, but hey money's money. He also put out an unreleased manuscript that is HILARIOUS reading.)

So the game consisted of ten minutes of powering up and then the Saiyan beating the piss out of his opponent without a challenge. Sounds pretty true to the show!

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 26, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Attention Jimbozig: I started looking more into Strike upon being urged by people on the IZ and now I ask: how fit is it to run a Final Fantasy Tactics game because I really wanna do one.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Effectronica posted:

It would be cool if we had a magical girl RPG that was written by someone who'd seen anything beyond Sailor Moon, Madoka, and maybe some Precure.

http://www.maison-otaku.net/~rhea/senshi.html

Includes rules for Sailor Moon, Rayearth, Kimagure Orange Road, Miracle Girls, Wedding Peach, Creamy Mami, Fancy Lala, Saint Tail, Minky Momo, Card Captor Sakura, and Maho Tsukai Tai.

On the other hand, it's WoD.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is also Princess: the Hopeful, a fan splat of the World of Darkness of all things. I am no good at judging mechanics, but from a tone standpoint it doesn't really gel with the rest of the setting and it feels really amateurish when it comes to editing.

Every time I read it I can't help but think that if the focus shifted from "look how nice and good and pure the Hopeful are" to "It sucks trying to do good in the WoD, also are we sure we know what's best for humanity?" it could have felt right at home.
Nail on the head on both accounts. The people involved with it fundamentally do not understand the setting or any of its various themes/moods/etc. The mechanics are also pretty piss-poor, since (at least the last time I looked at it) it was this weird, bad attempt at bringing Exalted charms into nWoD. And I can understand to a degree wanting to play a game like that, but why choose WoD as your setting? The other splats only make good antagonists for them if you specifically make them good antagonists, and at that point you may as well just make your own setting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Waffleman_ posted:

There was a Sailor Moon RPG?

There was a Tenchi Muyo RPG?

There was a Trigun BESM book. I used to have it but a friend of mine "borrowed" it and then refused to give it back before he moved states away because "I'm the bigger Trigun fan than you anyway". Ah well it was free because I bought "Solid! The d20 Blaxploitation Experience" and "Godhood".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Len posted:

There was a Trigun BESM book. I used to have it but a friend of mine "borrowed" it and then refused to give it back before he moved states away because "I'm the bigger Trigun fan than you anyway". Ah well it was free because I bought "Solid! The d20 Blaxploitation Experience" and "Godhood".

Are you really going to complain that someone took something Trigun away from you? You should be sending him a bouquet of flowers as thanks.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Are you really going to complain that someone took something Trigun away from you? You should be sending him a bouquet of flowers as thanks.

The manga is a decent sci-fi story, and a good deal more coherent, IMO.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PurpleXVI posted:

Hm, you know, I'm starting to suspect that you're an extremely bad poster.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Includes rules for Sailor Moon, Rayearth, Kimagure Orange Road, Miracle Girls, Wedding Peach, Creamy Mami, Fancy Lala, Saint Tail, Minky Momo, Card Captor Sakura, and Maho Tsukai Tai.

Yeah, that's what I was vaguely referring to. Still doesn't really allow you to play Sally/Sabrina the Witch or Mary Marvel, or freaking Cutie Honey.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PurpleXVI posted:

I haven't watched Trigun since sophomore/junior year of high school where I remember it being enjoyable but super poorly paced. I don't want to rewatch it to prove otherwise.

I rewatched Evangelion and that was such a bad idea. I could have sworn there were more robot fights.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I watched Evangelion once and that already ranks as a super bad idea in my anime ventures.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Len posted:

I haven't watched Trigun since sophomore/junior year of high school where I remember it being enjoyable but super poorly paced. I don't want to rewatch it to prove otherwise.

I rewatched Evangelion and that was such a bad idea. I could have sworn there were more robot fights.

The anime was almost all filler until the Gung-Ho Guns showed up, and even then it never really bothered explaining all that much about why they were after him, specifically, and why Vash could do all that weird poo poo.

The manga is better because it introduces the antagonists much more quickly, gave a good explanation for everyone's motivations rather than just 'lol I'm psychotic' and had a lot bigger stakes overall.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

unseenlibrarian posted:

Changeling: The Lost with a focus on the talespinning stuff has enough Princess Tutu in the DNA that I think I'm going to make it required viewing next time.

(Talespinning characters who don't just have limited access from some "I am a story archetype" merit go full Drosselmeyer very quickly.)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i didn't really think of that bc i'm dumb but now i kind of really want to bully some nerd into running something that-ish

(i'd say the same about chubbo's  whimsical  wishgranting  heart  health  telethon thing but sigh nobody's ever going to run that on SA with the exception of that one game last spring that died at the word go SIGH)

paradoxGentleman posted:

i wanted to like this but i've heard Things both about the mechanics/actual bookthing and the people involved (lol Huitzil) so it's like welp

~LITERALLY SO PURE AND GOOD THAT ANYONE AT ALL EVER SUFFERING HURTS YOU~ laffo

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

Well, you were polite.
Thanks, Ettin!

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

NinjaDebugger posted:

Haha this is brilliant. Their playbook page for Magical Knights also has a ~mysterious~ Utena clone and ASUKA LANGLEY, THE RED KNIGHT OF CELEPHAÏS.

Effectronica posted:

Yeah, that's what I was vaguely referring to. Still doesn't really allow you to play Sally/Sabrina the Witch or Mary Marvel, or freaking Cutie Honey.

You could probably hack together "cuts people with swords" and that transformation pen thing to play Cutey Honey if you really wanted to.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ningyou posted:

~LITERALLY SO PURE AND GOOD THAT ANYONE AT ALL EVER SUFFERING HURTS YOU~ laffo
This is something that I feel has some potential, actually, especially if you want to play up the themes of exhaustion and martyrdom that apparently that game is aiming for.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Bendigeidfran posted:

Haha this is brilliant. Their playbook page for Magical Knights also has a ~mysterious~ Utena clone and ASUKA LANGLEY, THE RED KNIGHT OF CELEPHAÏS.

Asuka the Red Knight is actually from one of Biles' fanfics, Children of an Elder God.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Anime is pretty bad y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib