Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

I accidentally went against the advice of this thread today when an Epi LP special with p90s went on sale for $79 used in the color I wanted. I didn't have a choice. You guys understand, right?

This is my first guitar with p90s and boy do I love the hell out of them already. As expected it feels cheap and needs a setup immediately, but it sure looks cool (to me), even with the slight damage to the front.

I used one of those to make a Muse-esque (Musesque?) MIDI touch pad guitar for my son a couple of years ago.

It hooks up to a Korg Kaoss Pad and makes really, really funky sounds. Chief among them, a terrible ticking sound unless you dial the tone knob way down - I've got the pickup wiring way too close to the microcontroller wiring, and it's picking up the PWM signal that drives the LED. *sigh* It works great otherwise though, lots of fun to dink around with.

Obligatory touch pad controller kit link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301502419869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I got a fairly inexpensive bass to play with, one of the Traben standard series. Okay sounding active pickups, a 3-band eq, volume, and a blender pot.

I'm very enamored of blender pots now holy poo poo this thing is neat

e:vvv yeah they have a bunch of stupid looking options but mine is just a glossy black with a bridge that is Just A Bridge and I am 100% cool with this

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 26, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Shugojin posted:

I got a fairly inexpensive bass to play with, one of the Traben standard series. Okay sounding active pickups, a 3-band eq, volume, and a blender pot.

I'm very enamored of blender pots now holy poo poo this thing is neat

I forgot all about these and now that you reminded me, I used to know someone who had one of them with the extra stupid flame/tribal bridge.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got everything back together and it all works well. :peanut:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
drat.

I remember when having a Squier was kind-of like being the kid who's eating a greasy homemade hamburger on untoasted white bread while all the other kids around are eating name-brand McDonald's burgers. Now, that's just not the case. I love it.

That guitar looks fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tarlibone posted:

drat.

I remember when having a Squier was kind-of like being the kid who's eating a greasy homemade hamburger on untoasted white bread while all the other kids around are eating name-brand McDonald's burgers. Now, that's just not the case. I love it.

That guitar looks fun.

It's all about how you play it, not how much it costs.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sockington posted:

Goddamn it you're a better photographer than me too!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

That and the McDonalds burger has poo poo quality control and they keep jacking the prices year after year. You're just paying for the name on the wrapper.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sockington posted:

hot as gently caress

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

nrr posted:

hot as gently caress

yeah i want to touch this guitar in ways that don't fully make sense to me right now

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Sockington posted:

There is nothing about this that isn't amazing. I find it funny that the guitar started out life as a Xaviere guitar and now, I assume, contains no parts from the original. What did you do with all the old pieces? And I have a feeling you mentioned this, but what pickups did you go for?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
He now needs to rebuild the original guitar from all the parts removed from that one, and name it Theseus. Also, that is awesome. I normally don't like gold on instruments, but that is one of the prettiest guitars I've seen in a while.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am installing a pair of Artec GVH humbuckers in my AL-2000 and they are designed for coil tap. I have no drat interest in that jibber jabber, so I just installed the standard wires. This leaves two that sodder together and the 5th mystery freaking wire that no one (including the freaking diagrams) ever mentions but apparently is another ground if you coil tap. Do I have to ground that too if I don't coil tap? Coil tap COIL TAP TAP TAP TAP. Sorry working in the small confines of a LP style guitar with the worlds shittiest soldering iron is getting to me. Also, thank you Artec for using the smallest freaking wires known to mankind

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_blues_chord_progressions.html:

Once again I'm heading back to this site. Everyone knows blues, but this has a great sequence of progressively harder versions, each with backing tracks and varied tabs for each style. The first set of tabs over the most basic version uses rootless voicings in the tab, so there's something for everyone.

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not what you play, it's what you play. BOOOOOM!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 27, 2015

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am installing a pair of Artec GVH humbuckers in my AL-2000 and they are designed for coil tap. I have no drat interest in that jibber jabber, so I just installed the standard wires. This leaves two that sodder together and the 5th mystery freaking wire that no one (including the freaking diagrams) ever mentions but apparently is another ground if you coil tap. Do I have to ground that too if I don't coil tap? Coil tap COIL TAP TAP TAP TAP. Sorry working in the small confines of a LP style guitar with the worlds shittiest soldering iron is getting to me. Also, thank you Artec for using the smallest freaking wires known to mankind

Is it a humbucker that is meant for both coil splitting and coil tapping? I had always wondered why no one seem to do it, but I never heard of it actually being done. I just assumed it would either be difficult to construct or not a useful feature. I am guessing Artec can't be the only one to do this. They don't seem like the innovative types.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't coil tapping require two extra wires? One for the negative from the upper coil and one for the positive from the lower coil. Maybe its not what I originally thought.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/discontinued-items/

... so, there's a 20% off coupon there.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Gripen5 posted:

Yeah. I got rid of mine. It just killed my shoulder. I'm sure it would have effected my back if I used it longer. The limited upper fret access bothered me as well, but in the end it was all about the weight. Think my Agile was 10 lbs. I love the way LPs look, but I just don't think they are meant for me.

That's one of the things I like best about my SG, it's soooo light, I couldn't believe it when I first picked it up. It's like wearing nothing at all, nothing at all.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

unlawfulsoup posted:

Assuming they're the same as GFS since they're the same manufacturer red and white get soldered together if you're not coil tapping, green is hot, and black and bare are ground i.e. the back of the volume pot. IIRC they use the Seymour Duncan color code so you can go by their diagrams.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So not my guitar, but I had to share because it looks slick as poo poo.

This is one of my instructors guitars, it's an early 2000's Custom Classic American Strat. It was brought to me with all the frets looking like this:

He absolutely played the poo poo out of this guitar for the last 15 years. The treble side had ben worn almost flat and the dents were insane. I knew I couldn't just level them and be done. So I had to reradius the frets, then level it out and then do a full dressing. I also ordered him a gold guard.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gripen5 posted:

Is it a humbucker that is meant for both coil splitting and coil tapping? I had always wondered why no one seem to do it, but I never heard of it actually being done. I just assumed it would either be difficult to construct or not a useful feature. I am guessing Artec can't be the only one to do this. They don't seem like the innovative types.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't coil tapping require two extra wires? One for the negative from the upper coil and one for the positive from the lower coil. Maybe its not what I originally thought.

I don't think it does both, like you said Artec are not exactly leading the way in pickup innovation.

comes along bort posted:

Assuming they're the same as GFS since they're the same manufacturer red and white get soldered together if you're not coil tapping, green is hot, and black and bare are ground i.e. the back of the volume pot. IIRC they use the Seymour Duncan color code so you can go by their diagrams.

Yeah, I am 90% sure now that the bare is another ground. Everything else is properly soldered/attached. I have the Artec diagrams, it is just annoying that they don't mention the bare one more clearly, because its just like 'oh hey here is another wire'.

edit: grounded the bare one, everything works 100% now; night and day difference between mediocre ceramic stock pickups :)

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 27, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I really never realised until recently how awesome black and gold go together on fenders

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How would a lazy person block a trem? Coins? Give me your lifehacks

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

baka kaba posted:

How would a lazy person block a trem? Coins? Give me your lifehacks

When I got my Strat, there was the rubber cap from the bottom of a cane jammed in there.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I think I used some batteries when I was a kid

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tape together some small stacks of pennies.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I feel lame that the only lovely hacked together fix on any of my guitars is the little bit of duct tape I have on the underside of a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails because apparently the pickup is held inside the plastic casing by some glue which promptly failed causing it to fall inside my strat.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Sockington posted:

Where did you get your pickguard? Finally ready to work on my JM again and I want gold over my sonic blue.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I feel lame that the only lovely hacked together fix on any of my guitars is the little bit of duct tape I have on the underside of a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails because apparently the pickup is held inside the plastic casing by some glue which promptly failed causing it to fall inside my strat.

you're not an actual guitarist until you've embraced you inner macgyver

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Gripen5 posted:

There is nothing about this that isn't amazing. I find it funny that the guitar started out life as a Xaviere guitar and now, I assume, contains no parts from the original. What did you do with all the old pieces? And I have a feeling you mentioned this, but what pickups did you go for?

Err. Sorta. I ordered the Xaivere since I'd only had the Squier VI and liked the offset body shape. Stuck on a Squier Vintage Modified neck from ebay that I had ordered for a different project. I greatly missed the tremolo though, so I sold the Xaivere neck to some dude locally and the body to a goon. I ordered a loaded Modern Player body to mess around with and switched out the pickups with some old ones from my 2014 Gibson LPJ (61' Zebra humbuckers, in the burstbucker family). I upgraded the tremolo with the AVRI unit after using a $2k Fender JM in the local store. I ended up mailing the old tremolo unit to the same goon who has the body in exchange for the gold pickguard. The nut is pretty 'meh' still and a higher quality bridge probably wouldn't hurt (maybe Nashville fitment roller bridge later on). The coil cut actually works kind of nice with the bridge in full humbucker and the neck in single coil.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Southern Heel posted:

I really never realised until recently how awesome black and gold go together on fenders

Until you wrote that I didn't realize that Black and Gold makes a Steelers guitar and my shop is in Pittsburgh. There is money to be made there, somehow...............

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Why didn't you guys tell me the riff from I'm Coming Out/Mo Money Mo Problems was so much fun to play?

So you don't have to go looking, barre all these and listen for the rhythm:

Dmin7
Amin7
Gmin7
F (on the A string)
Bb
F (on the A string)
Bb
Amin7

(Edit: is how I'm playing it anyway)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

My P-Bass Special is black with a gold anodized pickguard. It was a really popular Fender look in the 70s, and maybe before.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Until you wrote that I didn't realize that Black and Gold makes a Steelers guitar and my shop is in Pittsburgh. There is money to be made there, somehow...............

gently caress, I was digging that, why'd you have to go and ruin it

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nrr posted:

you're not an actual guitarist until you've embraced you inner macgyver

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What strings are people recommending nowadays? Lately I've noticed my D'Addarios EXL's don't last a day. Sometimes they even come out of the packaging looking off.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

burritonegro posted:

What strings are people recommending nowadays? Lately I've noticed my D'Addarios EXL's don't last a day. Sometimes they even come out of the packaging looking off.

I've tried about fifteen different brands of strings and three styles in this particular brand (GHS) and the ones I recommend are actually the only ones that sound sweet but also provide lots of overtones and also enough low-end on the Fralins on my guitar. Coincidentally these were developed in collaboration with Bill Callaham, if that means anything to you.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

burritonegro posted:

NYXLs and nothing else.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

burritonegro posted:

What strings are people recommending nowadays?

Expect to get a million different opinions, anyone reputable should be decent. The correct answer is Dunlop, D'addario, or DR.

If you want more specific, what are you playing. I like nickel wrapped strings because they sound nice and they don't seem to eradicate my frets.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I play everything from jazz standards to van halen and poo poo requiring lots of bends. I also play out multiple times a week, and it sucks getting to a gig with brand new yet totally worn out strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

burritonegro posted:

I play everything from jazz standards to van halen and poo poo requiring lots of bends. I also play out multiple times a week, and it sucks getting to a gig with brand new yet totally worn out strings.

What pickups are you using? What sort of pots are on your guitar?