Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I always thought it was weird that you never celebrated anyone's birthday in Persona 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nakar posted:

It'd be cool to have it come up in a conversation or something that's actually in the game, is the thing. There's plenty of fictional characters who reveal little details about themselves like their birthdays or whatever. Putting it in the manual or a booklet but nowhere else is just the most lazy way to fake character. Imagine somebody has "DISLIKES: Cats" in their manual profile and then at no point in the entire game do they encounter a cat or talk about cats (or worse, they do encounter cat-like enemies and don't react to this). Like okay great, he doesn't like cats, but is there a reason he doesn't like cats? Is it a pathological fear, a general revulsion, a righteous anger, a PTSD-laden trauma trigger? Is his reason really stupid and funny, and how would other characters react to that?

Outside of skits in Tales games I don't see that explored too much, and it's a lot more useful to the character to have them actually explain these quirks about themselves rather than a paragraph telling us they exist with no evidence in support of it. If you're not even going to put in a tiny bit of effort to connect those details to the story then nobody actually gains anything from knowing about them.
what

WrightOfWay posted:

I always thought it was weird that you never celebrated anyone's birthday in Persona 3 or 4.

yeah that is a little odd. you could just do them as simple little events with maybe a chance to score some free s. link points.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The page worth of blood type, favorite food, measurements, likes/dislikes, catchphrase is more or less a Japanese trope. It doesn't have to mean anything in the game, it's just throwaway information. It probably got its origins from light novel supplementary material.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've played at least one game where the main twist was somewhat spoiled by not listing a character's blood type in the manual, while every other character got one.

I'm curious, what game was this?

I'm guessing the twist was something like:

That they were really a robot

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The White Dragon posted:

If I read a character's profile in an instruction booklet and it said he once paid (or habitually pays) a chick to poo poo in his mouth, he would always be in my party

lmao

you know what, same.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

I'm curious, what game was this?

I'm guessing the twist was something like:

That they were really a robot

Mana Khemia.

Close, but not quite. The main character turns out to be an artificially created Mana (nature spirit).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

WrightOfWay posted:

How quickly we forget that, uh, Shu kid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strange Quark posted:

How quickly we forget that, uh, Shu kid.

...is the cake okay? :ohdear:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Mana Khemia.

Close, but not quite. The main character turns out to be an artificially created Mana (nature spirit).
I honestly expected Parasite Eve 2 or that lovely third one, given that (at least the first game) was all about MITOCHONDRIA or whatever.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly expected Parasite Eve 2 or that lovely third one, given that (at least the first game) was all about MITOCHONDRIA or whatever.

The artificial characters in 2 aren't really a secret and that game we don't really talk about barely has characters at all.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So, I guess I'm to the point where Xenogear's budget started to run out. Not to the second disc yet, but there's been a few noticeably cut corners. Like, instead of having a scene where Elly freaks out in the presence of a Gear in Shevat, somebody just tells me she had a strange reaction to a Gear stored there. Then when somebody says "Remember how Elly reacted to that gear in Shevat?" I was all "Uh, no?"

Shakhan was an rear end in a top hat. First time lasted a while, but I wound up losing to that fire spell. Second attempt I bought some fire resistance items thinking they negated fire damage considering how bloody expensive they were, but they only kind of reduced it. I was halfway through this attempt when I remembered the Boosters, since it'd been so long since I'd had a battle where I needed them. Third time I swapped Billy out for Citan and his resistance spells, and finally beat him by the skin of my teeth. And each time, I had to watch that five minute cutscene before the fight.

I also had a real :downswords: moment, when everyone started talking about reflecting Ft. Jasper's cannon off the mirror on Babel Tower. I was all "WTF is Fort Jasper?" because I'm pretty sure that structure hadn't been called that yet.

There's a hell of a lot of convenient meetings and relationships in the game, but eh, I guess I've yet to see anything half as absurd as what goes on in Phoenix Wright.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Front Mission 3 is a fun game that pretty much opens with the main character becoming a traitor to Japan and joining up with the Americans, and I was kind of surprised how eager he was to do so. I don't usually get a side of compelling political drama out of my giant robot battles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Codiekitty posted:

So, I guess I'm to the point where Xenogear's budget started to run out. Not to the second disc yet, but there's been a few noticeably cut corners. Like, instead of having a scene where Elly freaks out in the presence of a Gear in Shevat, somebody just tells me she had a strange reaction to a Gear stored there. Then when somebody says "Remember how Elly reacted to that gear in Shevat?" I was all "Uh, no?"

Shakhan was an rear end in a top hat. First time lasted a while, but I wound up losing to that fire spell. Second attempt I bought some fire resistance items thinking they negated fire damage considering how bloody expensive they were, but they only kind of reduced it. I was halfway through this attempt when I remembered the Boosters, since it'd been so long since I'd had a battle where I needed them. Third time I swapped Billy out for Citan and his resistance spells, and finally beat him by the skin of my teeth. And each time, I had to watch that five minute cutscene before the fight.

I also had a real :downswords: moment, when everyone started talking about reflecting Ft. Jasper's cannon off the mirror on Babel Tower. I was all "WTF is Fort Jasper?" because I'm pretty sure that structure hadn't been called that yet.

There's a hell of a lot of convenient meetings and relationships in the game, but eh, I guess I've yet to see anything half as absurd as what goes on in Phoenix Wright.
It might be too late to do this now, but if you want to trivialize most Gear boss battles in the game slap an Ether Doubler on Elly along with any other equipment that boosts her Ether and destroy everything with the Aerods attack. Yep, equipping equipment on the human characters sometimes affects them in the gears as well. Or at least Ether and Speed does...later on you can equip Speed Shoes on everyone so they're permanently boosted in their gears.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Captain Walker posted:

Front Mission 3 is a fun game that pretty much opens with the main character becoming a traitor to Japan and joining up with the Americans, and I was kind of surprised how eager he was to do so. I don't usually get a side of compelling political drama out of my giant robot battles.

Kazuki doesn't have time to think about the consequences of his actions. That would stop him from making more ill-advised actions!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Codiekitty posted:

If I remember correctly, Prince Belmont had mentioned he was going to name it that. Like, once, several hours before the scene you're talking about.

EDIT:

Nate RFB posted:

later on you can equip Speed Shoes on everyone so they're permanently boosted in their gears.
Doesn't that actually stack with Boost?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Walker posted:

FM3 is still my favorite in the series but probably because it's such a break from the other ones. Fake internet consumed so much of my time. And you can get a particle beam to vaporize dudes with. The Pilot system was awesome if only to stack eject punch on your dudes and pop enemy pilots out of their wanzers to steal them. I loved playing musical wanzers on long maps where my dudes were taking too much damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Front Mission 3 was one of those confusing "how did THIS make it oversees" because it's a third game in a franchise that's relatively connected plot-wise, they never brought the 2nd game out, and it's possibly the longest in content for a turn-based strategy game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I should probably get back to FM3, but can't stand the "now we split your group into two teams" roadblock. Yay, you get to grind the sim with a bunch of worthless characters for money and skills. And then I split the teams and it turns out someone would have been more useful in the other squad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zereth posted:

Doesn't that actually stack with Boost?
Maybe, though I don't know if an even greater advantage is necessary at that point.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

It might be too late to do this now, but if you want to trivialize most Gear boss battles in the game slap an Ether Doubler on Elly along with any other equipment that boosts her Ether and destroy everything with the Aerods attack. Yep, equipping equipment on the human characters sometimes affects them in the gears as well. Or at least Ether and Speed does...later on you can equip Speed Shoes on everyone so they're permanently boosted in their gears.

I may have missed the chance to get the Ether Doubler, unless it's still sold in Nisan. I thought it was a Gear Part, but I don't think I checked the character Accessories part of the shop.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm liking Wild Arms 2 a lot but goddamn the whole "discover towns and dungeons on the world map" mechanic is pretty stupid.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Codiekitty posted:

I may have missed the chance to get the Ether Doubler, unless it's still sold in Nisan. I thought it was a Gear Part, but I don't think I checked the character Accessories part of the shop.
It might be. There is another one in a chest later on but I think it's towards the end of disk 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

Front Mission 3 was one of those confusing "how did THIS make it oversees" because it's a third game in a franchise that's relatively connected plot-wise, they never brought the 2nd game out, and it's possibly the longest in content for a turn-based strategy game.

It was actually the first FM game to get an English translation, we didn't get FM1 until the GBA port. Which just makes it weirder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I'm liking Wild Arms 2 a lot but goddamn the whole "discover towns and dungeons on the world map" mechanic is pretty stupid.

It is. Somehow they kept it around for most of the rest of the series

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just wish Bethesda would put down a bio for every single NPC and their blood type so when I accidentally kill someone I'll atleast know something about them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It is. Somehow they kept it around for most of the rest of the series

Oh goddammit. :doh: Do they at least bring back being able to buy healing items?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

It's actually Fatima Jasper which makes more sense than Fort. That's arbitrary text limits for you.

e: oh wait no, Fatima Jasper was completely different and it was Fort Jasper, a plot device they pulled out of their rear end late game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

SelenicMartian posted:

I should probably get back to FM3, but can't stand the "now we split your group into two teams" roadblock. Yay, you get to grind the sim with a bunch of worthless characters for money and skills. And then I split the teams and it turns out someone would have been more useful in the other squad.

Oh poo poo this is where I am now. Fuckin' Linny. Welp. Maybe I'll actually beat Eternal Punishment.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

TARDISman posted:

Oh goddammit. :doh: Do they at least bring back being able to buy healing items?

I just finished up Wild ARMS 3, and nope, you can't buy healing items until very late in the game just like in 2. It's not a big deal though because you can grow your own instead along with carrots and that is very abusable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

al-azad posted:

It's actually Fatima Jasper which makes more sense than Fort. That's arbitrary text limits for you.

e: oh wait no, Fatima Jasper was completely different and it was Fort Jasper, a plot device they pulled out of their rear end late game.

Fort Jasper is what they renamed some dungeon you went through that happened to have a big cannon in it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just started the Geneforge series, the first game is very interesting so far. What impresses me the most is how reactive the world is. You join one of the sects and people's reactions towards you change nearly instantly. Even the flavor text changes accordingly. Meanwhile, in a modern AAA game like Skyrim you will still have members of the Thieves' Guild insult you to your face after you've become Guild Master. It's incredible how many big-budget games just can't get this right.

Biggest downside: the interface is outdated and often clunky. The graphics are also poo poo by any but mid-nineties standards, and as much as that is almost a deliberate design decision, I still have to deduct points for it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I just started the Geneforge series, the first game is very interesting so far. What impresses me the most is how reactive the world is. You join one of the sects and people's reactions towards you change nearly instantly. Even the flavor text changes accordingly. Meanwhile, in a modern AAA game like Skyrim you will still have members of the Thieves' Guild insult you to your face after you've become Guild Master. It's incredible how many big-budget games just can't get this right.

Biggest downside: the interface is outdated and often clunky. The graphics are also poo poo by any but mid-nineties standards, and as much as that is almost a deliberate design decision, I still have to deduct points for it.
You do realize the game is like 15 years old and had a rather small budget, right? So You are kinda looking at actual mid-nineties stuff. Geneforge 2 fixes some of the color choices so the interface is a lot less unpleasant to look at.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

Yeah, the Fatima Jasper is the key to Fort Jasper. And originally it's hinted the Fatima Jasper is a broken pendant with Bart and Margie each holding half, then it turns out that was a decoy and the Jasper is something else entirely.

I swear, the only way to keep track of all the characters, terminology, and events this game throws at you is to take notes and build a flowchart as you play. Although at this point, half the flowchart with be "That giant orb with all the TV screens showing Darth Vader making different faces said these things exist"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zereth posted:

You do realize the game is like 15 years old and had a rather small budget, right? So You are kinda looking at actual mid-nineties stuff. Geneforge 2 fixes some of the color choices so the interface is a lot less unpleasant to look at.

2001 specifically but Spiderweb Software is one guy pumping out massive RPGs for over 20 years so I can forgive the dated look.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

al-azad posted:

2001 specifically but Spiderweb Software is one guy pumping out massive RPGs for over 20 years so I can forgive the dated look.
Okay it's 14 years old then.

And yeah it's one guy, on a not very big budget since he wasn't on Steam (which didn't exist) back then so he wasn't pulling in relatively big money. Fancy graphics cost money.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Codiekitty posted:

I swear, the only way to keep track of all the characters, terminology, and events this game throws at you is to take notes and build a flowchart as you play. Although at this point, half the flowchart with be "That giant orb with all the TV screens showing Darth Vader making different faces said these things exist"

If you think THIS requires a flowchart, I wanna see your reaction after you keep playing for another five hours or so.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Ft. Jasper is actually a gun emplacement from that spaceship that crashes in the opening cinematic. One of the things I like about Xenogears is there are a lot of little details like that which don't actually matter but make the world seem richer.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

Ft. Jasper is actually a gun emplacement from that spaceship that crashes in the opening cinematic. One of the things I like about Xenogears is there are a lot of little details like that which don't actually matter but make the world seem richer.

Yes, this. I came to reply to

al-azad posted:

The Tower of Babel also being the hull from that ship. There isn't so much in the game that they just pull out of their rear end. Plenty of 'anime' but they generally do a good job of presentation. You're introduced to most all plot devices very early, and will often explore them further before they are ever properly explained, while some less important elements may not be explicitly explained. The Babel/Jasper relationship for example is hinted very very strongly, but it is such distant history to the characters that the explicit relationship is irrelevant, so they never tell the audience explicitly, which is a drat good thing given the dialog heavy script.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

hubris.height posted:

lmao

you know what, same.

I'm guessing Jansen from Lost Odyssey has done this at LEAST once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

TARDISman posted:

To be honest, I never really wanted to buy healing items in any of the WA games. I'm pretty sure the reason for holding them back is thematic though. All healing items are plants (berries, etc), and since the world is turning into a desert plants are incredibly rare. Except for all the monsters carrying berries, of course.