Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm looking forward to all the GOP clown car riders having to answer questions about this despicable new law in Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So apparently George H.W. Bush's Secretary of State is too liberal for Jeb Bush and the modern GOP:

quote:

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) said it was a mistake for one of his foreign policy advisers to go speak at the left-leaning Israel policy group J Street. The adviser, James Baker, criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on seeming to change his position on a two-state solution.

"I did not believe that it was appropriate to go speak to J Street, a group that basically has anti-Israeli sentiments," Bush said Thursday during a radio interview with Brian Kilmeade.

Bonus quote:

Bill Kristol posted:

Thankfully, James Baker doesn't speak for today's Republican Party.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

J Street, a group that basically has anti-Israeli sentiments

heh

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Has Hillary spoken out against the "busing Arabs in droves" poo poo Netanyahu pulled?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Omi-Polari posted:

I think one article that should scare Democrats is this one. The title sounds like it's something a Republican booster would write, but he's a liberal writer, so.

But it's some indications why I think the Republicans (more specifically, Jeb Bush) will take the White House:

Millennials shifting to the right wouldn't really be a surprise at all, they have been pretty hosed over even as the economy booms, not to mention massive disillusionment over Obama. If I had to guess the religious component of the right is going to start becoming much less influential again, leading to a much greater libertarian influence that plays very well with young people.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Walker can certainly try to make that argument. But I suspect that "Scott Walker drove his state into debt" is going to resonate a lot better with pretty much everyone outside the extreme GOP base.

I brought up the Wisconsin deficit and was told that they are just refinancing their debt. So it'll
Be rationalized.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

How the gently caress, seriously? James Baker is too liberal for the right?

Armyman25 posted:

I brought up the Wisconsin deficit and was told that they are just refinancing their debt. So it'll
Be rationalized.

That's what I told the bank, but then they took away my house.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

tsa posted:

Millennials shifting to the right wouldn't really be a surprise at all, they have been pretty hosed over even as the economy booms, not to mention massive disillusionment over Obama. If I had to guess the religious component of the right is going to start becoming much less influential again, leading to a much greater libertarian influence that plays very well with young people.

It's hard to accept but young people are just as stupid as old people, only about different things due to cultural changes.

There have always been, and will always be, reactionary shitlords. Thinking you can wait for them to just die off is not a viable plan.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Wheeee posted:

It's hard to accept but young people are just as stupid as old people, only about different things due to cultural changes.

Basically this. The conservatism of millennials is stuff like redpill, MRA, and gamergate. Eventually the GOP will figure this out and start pandering to them. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that or not.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Wheeee posted:

Just as stupid, but vote way less.

Young people will age in to older Democrats and Republicans at the same rate they usually do. The libertarian thing will disillusion them just as fast as Obama has. Republicans have offered them nothing, and sometimes actively dicked them over like when they blew up Warren's student loans bill. Their reaction to being let down by Democrats will be disengagement from the political process, not converting to Republican/Libertarian.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still think the Millennial generation will lean liberal/Democratic overall, mainly because they grew up during the presidencies of Clinton (relative peace and prosperity), George W Bush (failed wars, economic crash), and Obama (economic recovery, no stupid wars).

Dr. Tough posted:

Basically this. The conservatism of millennials is stuff like redpill, MRA, and gamergate. Eventually the GOP will figure this out and start pandering to them. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that or not.

Yeah, but it's pretty clear that those particular groups are in the minority, as shown by the strong reaction against them.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Dr. Tough posted:

The narrative is moving though. 10 Years ago you wouldn't get the sort of mainstream coverage of feminist causes that we've seen in the past few years. Gamersgate got a lot of negative coverage, and we've seen it in other areas - like street harassment. Obviously these aren't won battles or anything, but the discussions that are happening in mainstream outlets weren't happening before.

Overtime, social issues in America have almost always moved left (there's some oscillation, but the general trend is left). What is certainly true of millennial is that there are still plenty of FYGM middleclass and better white dudes in that group. That they identify as libertarians as opposed to republicans is relevant only insofar as it dictates that the GOP recognize them if they don't want depressed voter turn out.

The right is eventually going to lose on gay rights, women's rights, and minority rights. They didn't manage to keep keep the vote away from those groups, and eventually that's going to catch up.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
How liberal/conservative the current crop of youngins is seems to be a matter of some debate, but the take I'm most prepared to believe is that white millennials lean slightly right at a rate similar to older generations, while non-white millennials are left-leaning. The difference being that whites are a smaller share of the population than they have been previously.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

paranoid randroid posted:

How liberal/conservative the current crop of youngins is seems to be a matter of some debate, but the take I'm most prepared to believe is that white millennials lean slightly right at a rate similar to older generations, while non-white millennials are left-leaning. The difference being that whites are a smaller share of the population than they have been previously.

Yeah, we've already seen stuff about how white millennials have similar attitudes toward race as their parents, and how white millennials voted like 52% for Romney in 2012.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, we've already seen stuff about how white millennials have similar attitudes toward race as their parents, and how white millennials voted like 52% for Romney in 2012.

Well he did have that young fellow as his running mate, so they had someone to identify with.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Sir Tonk posted:

Well he did have that young fellow as his running mate, so they had someone to identify with.

This ain't your father's GOP, dude.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

One of the two defining differences between Millennials and Gen-Xers is how non-white Millennials are (the other is growing up with the Internet), and that's the reason they're destined to be more left-leaning. White Millennials can do whatever they want politically, but they'll have less power than in any previous generation.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tough posted:

Considering that Hillary was the driving force behind the Family Entertainment Protection Act in the wake of the (maybe :nws:) GTA San Andreas Hot Coffee scandal, we could see some serious poo poo from that group.
That feminazi is gonna use net neutrality to take away our Skyrim nude mods!

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 26, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I got a couple problems with that National Journal piece. First, the author seems to be using two or three data points as indicative of a long term trend and I'm not sure why we are supposed to assume that the current trend is going to bear out any more so than the predictions about Democrat Ascendancy in 2006-2008 did.

Second, this sentence

quote:

If Republicans are smart, they will nominate for president someone in the mold of George W. Bush in 2000.

is like saying, in 1964, "if the Republicans are smart they will nominate someone in the mold of Nelson Rockefeller." It's true, but also simply not going to happen. The current thrust of the party is not towards Bush 2000-style conciliatory "centrism".

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bob James posted:

Its been 4 years and I still don't understand why this happened

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Bob James posted:

You've heard the expression, "let's get busy"? Well this is a VP candidate who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's a different world, GTA now has prostitutes sucking your dick in first person mode in glorious 1080p and no one notable has said a single thing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Considering that Hillary was the driving force behind the Family Entertainment Protection Act in the wake of the (maybe :nws:) GTA San Andreas Hot Coffee scandal, we could see some serious poo poo from that group.
That feminazi is gonna use net neutrality to take away our Skyrim nude mods!

They aren't going to do poo poo because it would require more effort than trolling on Twitter. They can't even make a stupid NO U rebuttal video series without someone running off with all the money.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a different world, GTA now has prostitutes sucking your dick in first person mode in glorious 1080p and no one notable has said a single thing.

Man remember when the 2d GTA games were banned from video rental places because you could read some text suggesting that a woman was having sex offscreen? Those were the days.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 26, 2015

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Somewhat OT but where/when did those ridiculous Paul Ryan photos appear? They are amazing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

He's still using his email list to push shady crap...

That brings to mind, what are the legal consequences for raising money with a campaign's email list through advertising, rather than donations from the people you send the email to?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Foo posted:

Somewhat OT but where/when did those ridiculous Paul Ryan photos appear? They are amazing.

Of Ryan? He did some dumb photo op in 2012 of him lifting weights.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Of Ryan? He did some dumb photo op in 2012 of him lifting weights.

And someone thought it was a good idea to have him dressed as an extra from Saved by the Bell.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

They aren't going to do poo poo because it would require more effort than trolling on Twitter. They can't even make a stupid NO U rebuttal video series without someone running off with all the money.

Was this the series with the two dudes, one of whom had a bunch of skulls all over the loving place?

Ninja edit: Looks like a yes.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 26, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Man remember when the 2d GTA games were banned from video rental places because you could read some text suggesting that a woman was having sex offscreen? Those were the days.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Twitter death threats, except these would be read by the Secret Service.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This is just more evidence that the GOP is going to try to make Israel a partisan issue in 2016 and beyond. It's not going to work with Clinton because she will hang right there with them in unwavering support for anything the Bibi government wants to do. Hell Bibi could say that he wants to establish concentration camps for the Palestinians in order to relocate them and Clinton is going to agree. The Israel issue is going to be a race to the bottom in this election.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Was this the series with the two dudes, one of whom had a bunch of skulls all over the loving place?

Ninja edit: Looks like a yes.

IIRC they were also working with the Darius guy who wrote that "scandianvian women are too economically comfortable to gently caress" thing. Real bunch of winners, totally the guys you want representing your movement.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

This is just more evidence that the GOP is going to try to make Israel a partisan issue in 2016 and beyond. It's not going to work with Clinton because she will hang right there with them in unwavering support for anything the Bibi government wants to do. Hell Bibi could say that he wants to establish concentration camps for the Palestinians in order to relocate them and Clinton is going to agree. The Israel issue is going to be a race to the bottom in this election.
Please someone tell me that this person is wrong about everything past the first sentence.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

^^^
I fully expect the whole "Lets not pay our debt because we're so loving poor" thing will come back time and time again, too.

Can someone make a gif where

zooms in and becomes

Preferably with RAND PAUL 2016?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the quality, it's a massive file otherwise.

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 26, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder what Netanyahu could get away with the week before the election. Is there a limit?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
e wrong thread

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lancelot posted:

Sorry for the quality, it's a massive file otherwise.

Then the phone rings and Ron picks up the handset.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Then the phone rings and Ron picks up the handset.
Who do you want answering the clown phone at 3am?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

He really is not photogenic

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 26, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He really is not photogenic

Flunkmaster Flex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Please someone tell me that this person is wrong about everything past the first sentence.

Hillary-Israel relations are more complicated than they say. While Hillary publicly supported many of Israel's actions in Defensive Shield in 2014, evidence, including her own memoir, suggest that she does not believe Netanyahu or Likud are the best choices to bring about peace.

quote:

Israel’s election Tuesday could have an outsize impact on U.S. politics, but for Hillary Clinton, it’s difficult to know what outcome she might prefer.

The former secretary of state is close to announcing a second presidential run, which, if successful, would mean she’ll have to work closely with whomever is prime minister come 2017.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared victory late Tuesday, but he still must form a coalition in order to continue leading the country. Clinton has known Netanyahu for years, through rises and falls in both of their careers, and negotiated high-stakes deals with him recently as secretary of state.

But while she speaks highly of him, it’s not in the warmest of tones. “I’ve known Bibi a long time and I have a very good relationship with him, in part because we can yell at each other, and we do,” she told CNN last year, using to a nickname for the prime minister. “And I was often the designated yeller.”

In her 2014 memoir “Hard Choices,” in which Clinton tends to portray others in the most flattering light possible, her description of Netanyahu as a “complicated figure” is decidedly more muted.

She had, by contrast a “close friendship” with Yitzhak Rabin, the former Israeli prime minister who was assassinated by a radical right-wing Israeli during Bill Clinton’s first term in the White House.

After a short stint by Rabin’s successor, Shimon Peres, Netanyahu took over the prime ministership in 1996 and served for most of the remainder of Clinton’s term. Netanyahu ”believes [he] lost him the prime ministership” in 1999, as Hillary Clinton said last year in an interview, because he signed a peace deal struck with Bill Clinton that included giving land to the Palestinians.

In 1998, Netanyahu and his wife took the Clintons to visit the Masada, a mountainous fort and one of the country’s major landmarks, just days before Clinton would be impeached back in Washington.

More recently, Israel’s 2009 election was one of Clinton’s first tests as secretary of state. The Kadima Party and it’s leader, Tzipi Livni, actually won more seats, but failed to form a government, and Netanyahu was able to retake his old job.

In her book, Clinton wrote that she called Livni to suggest she join a coalition government with Netanyahu’s Likud party, which Clinton thought might have a better chance of striking a peace deal with the Palestinians than a government by Netanyahu. But Livni declined to share power with Netanyahu.

This year, longtime Clinton message guru Paul Begala went to Israel to help Netanyahu’s rival, and several strategists who worked for Barack Obama and could potentially join a Clinton campaign – led by field organizer Jeremy Bird – are working with a nonprofit that opposes Netanyahu. Clinton’s longtime pollster, Stan Greenberg, has worked for the opposition Labor Party in the past as well.

Netanyahu has grown increasingly conservative in the lead-up to Tuesday’s tight election, saying this week that there will be no Palestinian state if he wins.

In a field in Iowa last summer, Bill Clinton gave perhaps his most candid thoughts on Netanyahu when a C-SPAN microphone caught him agreeing that Netanyahu is “not the guy” to bring peace to the region.

An American neoconservative group backing Netanyahu ran a commercial last month attacking Clinton for not speaking out against Democratic lawmakers’ plans to boycott Netanyahu’s recent speech to Congress. “Does she support the boycotters? Or is she too afraid to stand up to them?” the ad asked.

Clinton did not meet with Netanyahu while he was in town, though they were both in Washington on the same day.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/hillary-clinton-and-benjamin-netanyahu-its-complicated

Given the history between Hillary and Netanyahu, I certainly wouldn't expect warm words if they are both leaders of their respective countries come 2017. Whether that would translate into action, I don't know.

• Locked thread