Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/23/real-madrid-gareth-bale-jese-fans-attack-clasico-barcelona

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Dan Hollis posted:

Messi can't even get it up for these mediocre teams anymore. Ronaldo bores him.

This is how Thanos felt after he gathered all the infinity stones.

I miss you

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Hahah people are so ridiculous it's just a game

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I mean I would've targeted one of the midfielders cars but still, that's crazy. Then again, Bale's car does have a history of fighting with fans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/football/video-1122975/Gareth-Bale-runs-fans-foot-tries-picture.html

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

We're gonna swap Di Maria for him.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

serious gaylord posted:

We're gonna swap Di Maria for him.

de gea*

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

apparently that guy is a Real socio and has been banned for life....Real and Barca fans are embarrassing, I'm glad they mostly stay on their side of the border (except when they leave to join their ISIS brothers)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

cool dudes alert

If only Ronaldo let his mom dress him too.

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 24, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Simeone signed a new contract with Atletico Madrid until 2020, good for both.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Real has a great chance at the league, since they will be done with champions in the end of April, have slightly easier teams left to play and won't have to face Atlético at their home right after the last semi game. (Which will probably be Atlético)

Lladre fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 24, 2015

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

El Hefe posted:

Luis Suarez never has and never will do anything wrong.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Some advanced stats from The Economist: http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2015/03/statistical-analysis-football

Turns out Ronaldo's last two balloon doors don't count and Messi was the best player in those years also.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

tekz posted:

Some advanced stats from The Economist: http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2015/03/statistical-analysis-football

Turns out Ronaldo's last two balloon doors don't count and Messi was the best player in those years also.

Can you paste the text? The Economist only lets you see like 2 free articles a month :(

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Gold and a Pager posted:

Can you paste the text? The Economist only lets you see like 2 free articles a month :(

It's very long. It contextualizes goals with a stat called Expected Points Added. Basically a goal scored in the 90th minute to break a tie is more important than one of those dumb penalties Ronaldo gets after Bale puts them up 3-0. The gist of the article is Messi scores more important goals, especially at the World Cup, where he actually attended. They also try to account for the importance of the game. Here is its conclusion.

quote:

Nonetheless, as a purely backwards-looking, descriptive measure, observers who point to Mr Messi’s return to the top of the goal leaderboard as evidence that he has at last rediscovered his form after a pair of disappointing-by-his-standards campaigns are mistaken. Mr Messi has indeed been the world’s most valuable goal scorer this year. He was also the world’s most valuable goal scorer in 2014, and in 2013, and (as is well-known) during the four years before that. The Ballon d’Or voters may have suffered from “Messi fatigue” for their past two selections. Supporters of Barcelona and Argentina, however, most surely have not.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

BWV posted:

It's very long. It contextualizes goals with a stat called Expected Points Added. Basically a goal scored in the 90th minute to break a tie is more important than one of those dumb penalties Ronaldo gets after Bale puts them up 3-0. The gist of the article is Messi scores more important goals, especially at the World Cup, where he actually attended. They also try to account for the importance of the game. Here is its conclusion.

lmao

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

quote:

Only when this element of context is taken into account does Mr Messi’s superior performance fully reveal itself. After factoring in the importance of a match, Mr Messi pulls away with a 59.5 weighted EPA in 2013 and 2014 (an average of 0.69 per goal), compared with 50.4 for the Ballon d’Or winner (an average of 0.48). By EPA alone, Mr Messi’s most valuable goal during the past two years was a 91st-minute winner on neutral turf. But he delivered this coup de grace not to a lowly opponent in La Liga, but rather to Iran in the group stage of the World Cup, a match that attracts 4.7 times more interest. He also scored twice, breaking a tie both times, in Argentina’s match against Nigeria four days later. In contrast, Mr Ronaldo only found the net once during the Cup, against Ghana. And even that goal had a marginal impact: although it was the deciding score in the match, Portugal needed a four-goal swing relative to the United States to advance out of its group. As a result, Mr Ronaldo’s yeoman effort did nothing to prevent his countrymen from heading home early. If that match were treated as reducing a four-goal deficit to three, Mr Ronaldo’s EPA for the two years would collapse to 43.6, 27% lower than Mr Messi’s.

that's some win

e: Mr Messi

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 25, 2015

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

What is it with these stat lunatics and their attempts to make out that not all goals are goals or whatever they're going on about.

Luis Suarez is the best player on the planet so its all a waste of time anyway

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
They need to do some advanced stats on how Messi plays for Argentina and Ronaldo plays for noted dogshit team/country Portugal.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
tbf scoring goals when it matters and you need goals is cool and good and better than dropping in the 4 in a 4-1 and flexing with your shirt off

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Parody Threads posted:

tbf scoring goals when it matters and you need goals is cool and good and better than dropping in the 4 in a 4-1 and flexing with your shirt off

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Copa del Rey final is going to be in the Camp Nou after RM said no to playing in the Bernabeu.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

El Hefe posted:

Copa del Rey final is going to be in the Camp Nou after RM said no to playing in the Bernabeu.

Looks like they should call it.....

La Copa del Gay

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Parody Threads posted:

Looks like they should call it.....

La Copa del Gay

That doesn't look a thing like Ronaldo.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Parody Threads posted:

yeah using advanced autism to claim ronald didn't deserve his trophies is a bit dumb but I think the premise of trying to gauge 'player impact' could be interesting

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
he delivered this coup de grace not to a lowly opponent in La Liga, but rather to Iran in the group stage of the World Cup, a match that attracts 4.7 times more interest

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Xavi to Human Slavery FCAl Sadd FC for €10million for the next three years

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

That's a shame. Would like to see him do like Cambiasso and go to the PL for a year or two before retiring. He'd do well IMO.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Parody Threads posted:

Xavi to Human Slavery FCAl Sadd FC for €10million for the next three years

10 million per year its a fantastic salary for a guy his age

euroboy posted:

That's a shame. Would like to see him do like Cambiasso and go to the PL for a year or two before retiring. He'd do well IMO.

if a PL club had offered him 10m per year he'd have gone there for sure

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
No the alleged deal is ten million total for the three years, plus an additional ten if he stays/lasts a fourth.

The deal is sweetened since they are getting him a coach license training for free.

That is, if any of it isn't just another made up transfer rumor story.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Marca and Mundo Deportivo both say its 10m per season

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

No loving way he would leave for €3m a year lol. Also coaching license costs gently caress all

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The LFP are doing everything in their power to try to get a fair TV deal for the teams so the league can sell the TV rights as a whole rather than each team selling their rights separately but first they need the approval of the RFEF, they were supposed to meet today but the RFEF didn't show up.

http://www.marca.com/2015/03/26/futbol/1427393716.html

:spain:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Lladre posted:

No the alleged deal is ten million total for the three years, plus an additional ten if he stays/lasts a fourth.

The deal is sweetened since they are getting him a coach license training for free.

That is, if any of it isn't just another made up transfer rumor story.

yeah im sure its the extra thousand dollars or whatever that's really persuading him to go

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hegay posted:

No loving way he would leave for €3m a year lol. Also coaching license costs gently caress all

Exactly.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i cant wait for the documentary in 50 years that claims that messi was an autistic savant

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there a feeling among barcaboys that Xavi will one day manage FC Qatarcelona? I can't picture him dressed in an overcoat and wearing high-tops with white soles.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Real Madrid signed Danilo

http://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2015/03/official-announcement-danilo

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
For €31 friggin million...that's the end for fat Carvajal then. Hell of a deal for Porto.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Is there a feeling among barcaboys that Xavi will one day manage FC Qatarcelona? I can't picture him dressed in an overcoat and wearing high-tops with white soles.

he should manage the B team. He can teach all the youngsters about honour and how to make triangles. Wouldn't want him at the top level. The guy seems to committed too tiki-taka and would sign Scholes and Pirlo to man the midfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

lol spent 31 mil for a 79 with an 84 potential.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread