Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

blackjack posted:

Wouldn't Super Mario RPG 3D be the one people would garrote an elderly neighbor for?

Super Mario RPG would have to be rebuilt from scratch in order to enable a 3D effect (unlike the Paper Mario games, which could be ported with no more difficulty than other N64-Wii games that have had 3DS ports). It's a sprite-based game with an isometric viewpoint, which means the "layering" effect previously used by 3D Classics titles wouldn't be possible. Either new sprites would have to be rendered (for the left-eye and right-eye perspectives), or the game would have to render in realtime 3D.

All that aside, I don't think Nintendo's gonna waste time remaking any SNES games when they work perfectly on console VC. It's N64 games and beyond that are in the port/remake zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The popup paper/theater stage aesthetic would be perfect for 3D, and having a portable version would mean I could finally actually replay it. This wasn't something I knew I wanted but now it's all I want.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

io_burn posted:

I used to think this, then I was playing my MMN3DSXL while waiting in public and some dude in an anime shirt came over to who wanted to see it. While examining it he noticed a scratch on the side and interrogated me about it. I was like, "Oh, yeah, I dropped it." This personally offended him to the point that he felt the need to lecture me on not having a case. The rant ended with something called a "brohoof" which I had to look up online and immediately felt even more uncomfortable than I already did.

It's kind of your fault in that case for not immediately telling him to gently caress off.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What's not awesome is the multi-island setup, so you're forced to backtrack out of every island if you want to go somewhere else. Some of the later islands are pretty big, and there are no wrap points, so if you miss any collectibles, gently caress you, gotta go through 15 screens worth of platforming to get that last Tinkerbat! It's kinda annoying, the moreso because their aren't very many shortcuts through areas, like, in Metroid, once you get through an area you usually get the item that lets you blow up a wall that lets you skip the most annoying rooms to traverse, but that doesn't really happen here, so if you're item collecting then you're gonna go through those same areas the exact same way to get to the one room you couldn't reach before.

I'm kind of OK with it because most of the islands aren't that big to begin with, and you can still use a pirate flare to go back home at least. Also it's a good excuse to use the boots which are the best. In fact, in any game that has an item to enable running, that item is always the best.

I would say that a big connected world with shortcuts would have been nicer though. This game is definitely less "Metroidvania"-like in that regard.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

raditts posted:

It's kind of your fault in that case for not immediately telling him to gently caress off.

Goons are scared of confrontation

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I bought a new new 3DS XL so I'm selling my old new 3DS XL: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708861

:siren: if someone in this thread buys this thing from me enter coupon code SLIMJIM6969 in the comments and I'll include a Slim Jim in your package :siren:

(seriously)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Did you get a Majora's Mask one?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fremry posted:

Did you get a Majora's Mask one?

Yeah :3:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Protective plastic still in between the top and bottom screens. Niiiiice.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fremry posted:

The screen protectors for the New 3DS are sold out everywhere (except Nintendo) so I'm keeping that there until I can get those on.

e: and I also ordered a MM back plate in case this one gets scratched :negative:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I would kill to be able to play Super Mario RPG on my 3ds though. I wish I still had an old TV to play my SNES on because the input lag is too bad to play anything on the HDTV.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

The screen protectors for the New 3DS are sold out everywhere (except Nintendo) so I'm keeping that there until I can get those on.

e: and I also ordered a MM back plate in case this one gets scratched :negative:

You are aware that the screens on the N3DSXL are the exact same size as the original XL and that the New 3DS branded ones are the exact same thing with new packaging, right? Just buy the ones for the old XL.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fremry posted:

If you guys keep the 3DS out of your pockets in your skinny mom jeans you'll be fine :can:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I haven't ever put a screen protector on either of my 3DS's. The new one obviously hasn't had much time to get knocked around, but my old 3DS didn't have a single scratch on it and I had that thing for like 3-4 years.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Zonekeeper posted:

You are aware that the screens on the N3DSXL are the exact same size as the original XL and that the New 3DS branded ones are the exact same thing with new packaging, right? Just buy the ones for the old XL.

Didn't think of that, thanks!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
skinny mom jeans sound cool as hell

Also, I reviewed the City Slicker

http://www.nintendojo.com/reviews/accessory-review-waterfield-cityslicker-3ds-case

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Loving my black nn3ds that I got on release day and didn't have to wring my hands online and make jerky offerings to the GameStop gods like some edition-wanter

same here buddy!

I went to my university to listen to a talk and brought along my nn3ds and only got 1 streetpass. BULLSHIT

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Drythe posted:

Goons are scared of confrontation

It was more just amazement of the situation.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like how I complained about the crazy price of TTYD on ebay in the Wii-U thread and how I reeeally wanna play it only for that "leak" to crop up a couple days later :negative:

C'mon, that's not nice whoever you are.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can :filez: it on a Wii U but that would be wrong.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'd prefer a Grezzo style re-texturing of Super Mario 64 or Kirby 64 personally.

The 3DS is never going to get N64 Virtual Console, so i'm happy for them to keep porting/remastering N64 stuff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If we can't have a new F Zero ever, an F zero X 3D would be pretty sweet.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!

Crawfish posted:

I'd prefer a Grezzo style re-texturing of Super Mario 64 or Kirby 64 personally.

The 3DS is never going to get N64 Virtual Console, so i'm happy for them to keep porting/remastering N64 stuff.

Super Mario 64 DS is one of my least favorite ports of my least favorite games. Crystal Shards on the 3DS would be a blast.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think TYD is the one game people will universally give a poo poo about if ported.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

noirstronaut posted:

I think TYD is the one game people will universally give a poo poo about if ported.

Naw.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

blackjack posted:

Super Mario 64 DS is one of my least favorite ports of my least favorite games. Crystal Shards on the 3DS would be a blast.
Yeah i'd probably prefer the original getting redone over the DS port. I wasn't a huge fan of that weird hat business or playable Wario.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They should redo all N64 and before Mario games but replace Mario with Waluigi and make it one long story about Waluigi trying to get Mario eaten by Bowser

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm finally playing through Ace Attorney Trilogy and despite hearing for years how absurd the justice system is in this game, I still wasn't prepared. I find myself yelling "THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS" either in my head or out loud every couple of minutes, and if this is really what it's like in Japan I have no idea how the place isn't one giant prison colony.

noirstronaut posted:

They should redo all N64 and before Mario games but replace Mario with Waluigi and make it one long story about Waluigi trying to get Mario eaten by Bowser

I would settle for a Wario & Waluigi RPG.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's not like that there, Phoenix Wright is anime

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's not like that there, Phoenix Wright is anime

Whenever it comes up someone mentions how the games are a parody of the actual system in Japan.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Parody yeah sure http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_253/7530-Phoenix-Wright-s-Objection
But it's still like, taken to an absurd degree (as is everything in those games though)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Phoenix Wright is anime, but it's the good weird alt kind, not the standard magical girl or giant robot or boys karate journey or super boobs look at high school or some combination of those.

Well, OK it does have a few boobs gags.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mia Fey possessing people is about as anime as it gets.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
It's anime but I find it bearable somehow.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

Phoenix Wright is anime, but it's the good weird alt kind, not the standard magical girl or giant robot or boys karate journey or super boobs look at high school or some combination of those.

Well, OK it does have a few boobs gags.

Yeah I've gotten a few non video game people into the Ace Attorney games and they really liked them

It'd probably be impossible to recommend Danganronpa or something even though the gameplay is basically identical

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So 3DS themes are pretty great. I grabbed the craft paper Kirby one and was relatively okay with my purchase.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The craft Kirby one is the only good one

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Xenoblade 3D! http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/xenoblade-chronicles-3d/0/0

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Super Mario RPG would have to be rebuilt from scratch in order to enable a 3D effect (unlike the Paper Mario games, which could be ported with no more difficulty than other N64-Wii games that have had 3DS ports). It's a sprite-based game with an isometric viewpoint, which means the "layering" effect previously used by 3D Classics titles wouldn't be possible. Either new sprites would have to be rendered (for the left-eye and right-eye perspectives), or the game would have to render in realtime 3D.

All that aside, I don't think Nintendo's gonna waste time remaking any SNES games when they work perfectly on console VC. It's N64 games and beyond that are in the port/remake zone.

The three N64 games on the 3DS are no more ports than an Super Mario RPG rebuild would be - They're all rebuilt from scratch. Hell, the 3DS doesn't actually have the grunt to even try running N64 games.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Iwata is an awesome dude. I love these interviews.