Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Based on the previous page I turned on Danger 5. Three minutes in and I'm loving dying.

Thank you, you wonderful goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Party Boat posted:

Why on earth doesn't Netflix have any kind of watch offline option for mobile?

I mean I guess I understand the business reasons but my work has me doing a ton of traveling over the next few days and it would be nice to load up on and binge through the kind of stuff my wife's not so bothered about.

its a streaming service. what you want is not streaming

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's an option for watching stuff without needing the internet. It's called buying it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Depending on your taste, you could try Mubi. It's a curated rotation of 30 movies, with a new one every day. It leans more towards the indie/obscure, but it does give the option to download for offline viewing. $5.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Transmogrifier posted:

Based on the previous page I turned on Danger 5. Three minutes in and I'm loving dying.

Thank you, you wonderful goons.

Danger 5 has some pretty great stuff in its first season. Relies on reusing a few gags like "kill hitler", the perfect drink recipe, and Hitler escaping through the window at the end. It does good by spoofing that 60's spy stuff but somehow still during the war.

One of the coolest bits that runs throughout the series is the fact that everyone seems to talk in their 'native' language. Adds a nice touch.

Now, season 2, on the other hand....

holy poo poo everything just goes off the loving rails. It tries to pack a zillion gags and references in the season and just picks whatever timeline it wants at a whim. It is loving insane. Absolutely everything in the loving series 2 comes out of loving nowhere.

This is my face through most of it :stonklol:

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 25, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah I get this but plenty of other streaming services like Spotify or BBC's iPlayer have offline options.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, there's an option for watching stuff without needing the internet. It's called buying it.

To be fair, Spotify is a streaming service but you can download and listen to things offline. It's not unreasonable to wonder why an equivalent option isn't available for other types of media.

efb

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, the running gags in Danger 5 work for me, simply because of how short the seasons are. Six times isn't really enough for "kill Hitler" to get old.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Danger 5 has some pretty great stuff in its first season. Relies on reusing a few gags like "kill hitler", the perfect drink recipe, and Hitler escaping through the window at the end. It does good by spoofing that 60's spy stuff but somehow still during the war.

One of the coolest bits that runs throughout the series is the fact that everyone seems to talk in their 'native' language. Adds a nice touch.

Now, season 2, on the other hand....

holy poo poo everything just goes off the loving rails. It tries to pack a zillion gags and references in the season and just picks whatever timeline it wants at a whim. It is loving insane. Absolutely everything in the loving series 2 comes out of loving nowhere.

This is my face through most of it :stonklol:

The loving wolf with ruby eyes sauntering in with a boombox on his shoulder after throwing ninja stars is probably one of the best entrances I've ever seen. That second ep of season 2 is outstanding.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sir Nose posted:

How is Danger 5 for kids?

I discovered Danger 5, because my son was watching it. Not for young kids at all.

Medullah posted:

My problem with Season 3 is pretty much that it became typical political show (not really a spoiler but ehhh), Frank spent the first two seasons doing evil, manipulative super villain stuff that it was dull to see him dealing with ordinary president issues

I think HoC has never been a great show. It has been good enough to get by on Frank's cartoonish supervillainy, despite it clashing with the show when it tried to be realistic. Without that it is just an above average cable show. I think the show moved way too fast in season 2, and it is suffering from that now.

Jack Gladney posted:

Watch the Battlestar Galactica one and see if it does anything for you.

I just made it to the last season of BSG last week. It is a rewatch for me, but a first time watch for my wife and son. It was fun to see their faces at the end of the season 3 finale :bsg:. That said I planning to show them the Portlandia BSG once we finish the show.

Edit: To be clear watching the BSG BluRay box set.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Danger 5 season 1 is probably alright for kids if you're okay with them seeing blood and you'd otherwise let them watch any given 60s or 70s action movie. Season 2 ahahahaha hell no

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alot of people talk up Shadow of the Vampire; is it actually a scary movie or what exactly is it and is it really worth a watcH?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's not particularly scary, but it's really, really good.

EDIT:

So, after a couple days of mediocre-to-dumb bullshit movies, I finally stumbled upon a hidden gem in the rough that is Netflix Streaming. It's called After the Fall, and the first thing you need to know is to not be fooled by the poster art which makes it look like some kind of Tony Scott riff. It's a very heart-felt, very conflicted drama that can be a tad on the nose at times but overall provides a lot of melodramatic punch.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 26, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Danger 5 is some of the worse try hard comedy I've seen since Tim and Eric. It felt like a bad sketch that just kept going and going. Now netflix is going to keep recommending stuff cause I watched it but I at least know to avoid those things so I guess some good came out of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Leper Residue posted:

Danger 5 is some of the worse try hard comedy I've seen since Tim and Eric. It felt like a bad sketch that just kept going and going. Now netflix is going to keep recommending stuff cause I watched it but I at least know to avoid those things so I guess some good came out of it.

I think they have a way to remove things from your watched list now.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Abu Dave posted:

Alot of people talk up Shadow of the Vampire; is it actually a scary movie or what exactly is it and is it really worth a watcH?
Nope, not scary at all. Actually kind of an awkward comedy. It's got Eddie Izzard in it. It's a strange movie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The third V/H/S horror anthology is up. The first two were a ton of fun, both had more hits than misses in my opinion, and the "misses" were still fun little shorts that I did enjoy. I haven't watched the third yet though, so if you get a chance let me know how it is. I think it is listed as V/H/S Viral.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Chichevache posted:

The third V/H/S horror anthology is up. The first two were a ton of fun, both had more hits than misses in my opinion, and the "misses" were still fun little shorts that I did enjoy. I haven't watched the third yet though, so if you get a chance let me know how it is. I think it is listed as V/H/S Viral.

I haven't seen it either but the consensus around here is that it's awful

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Abu Dave posted:

Willam Dafoe is great in it as Max Shreck, and it's got Malkovich as Murnau the director. It's a weird but cool movie.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Broadchurch is good, but every time Sophie says "Mark" it breaks the magic.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Chichevache posted:

The first one is in my current top 20, because it features Joe Swanberg being stabbed in his loving throat.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 26, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chichevache posted:

I loved the second VHS, mainly Gareth Evans' (The Raid director) cult segment. That said I have heard nothing good about the third one.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mysterious frankie posted:

The first one is in my current top 20, because it features Joe Swanberg being stabbed in his loving throat.

Might I recommend You're Next?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Where he plays himself?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I haven't seen it either but the consensus around here is that it's awful

I honestly don't think there is a consensus on any of the V/H/S movies, they all seem fairly contested

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I keep kind of expecting Robert Webb to interrupt some serious dramatic conversation to let me know whether or not it was number wang

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
V/H/S VIRAL isn't anywhere near as good as the first two, and even if you loved both previous titles I doubt very much if you'll enjoy the third in the series.

It's not scary, it's not inventive, it's not funny, the editing is annoying, the characters are annoying, and when it isn't being annoying (rare moments) it's just plain boring.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The wrap around segment is god awful,and I feel like that's a good 70 percent of the movie. The magician one has a really interesting concept but near the end I was just wanting it to be over with. I thought the parallel universe one was awesome and hilarious and Bonestorm was easily my favorite. It's worth watching. I would personally just skip the first half.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah VHS viral is just embarrassing, it really is god awful. The previous movies weren't perfect but were a lot of fun, this was just loving awful.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge fan of the V/H/S series and Viral is just sort of okay I guess. The wrap around segment is garbage. It ranks amongst the worst found footage films I've ever seen (and I have seen some really bad found footage films). The first segment is badly made but fun. The second segment is actually pretty good but still would rank, at best, as slightly better than the worst segment from the other films and the last segment has some really good bits but also has some pretty boring bits. It's not the worst movie but it sure as hell isn't as good as the other two.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
Agreeing with the consensus here. I love the VHS series but can't recommend Viral. The alternate universe feature was actually pretty great and stuck with the one camera concept of previous VHS vignettes. The skateboard Go-Pros vs. zombies was alright. The wizard opener was ok, but broke to hard from the formula of a self contained video, and the wrap around which took up a huge amount of the run time was absolutely terrible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Haha

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Chichevache posted:

I'm always up for a little more You're Next. Ol' trifling rear end Joe getting the axe is just a bonus.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Viral is cool, actually.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Leper Residue posted:

It's definitely a series to watch while high. I tried to watch it this morning sober (season 2) but it wasn't nearly as entertaining.

On the note of Danger 5 though, in season 1, the last episode is actually the preequal episode, which introduces Claire and Ilsa. Kind of wish I had watched it first myself so just wanted to let other goons know.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Leper Residue posted:

Season 1 wasn't bad but I think your description is pretty apt for season 2, even if I did enjoy some of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watch Danger 5 for the aesthetic and look. The sound design as well is wonderful.

Like the written jokes are hit and miss, but they nail the "joke" of the way its shot and recorded.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I feel like Darth Marenghi's Darkplace pulls off the "fake goofy old TV show" thing a lot better than Danger 5 without being nearly so monkey-cheese random.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Willam Dafoe is great in it as Max Shreck, and it's got Malkovich as Murnau the director. It's a weird but cool movie.

The campfire scene where they ask Shreck what his favorite part of Dracula was is straight-up genius. The rest of the movie is weird and interesting but ultimately just kinda ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Erebus posted:

monkey-cheese random.

what is with people and this phrase, I see it apply to every thing

its like the "pretentious" for comedy